Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
August 27, 2015, 08:26:37 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
Check out the latest RPG news!
362788 Posts in 14697 Topics by 2300 Members
Latest Member: SegaDreamCat
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Single-Player RPGs
| | |-+  Top 5 JRPGs for Total n00bs! - Post Yours!
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] Print
Author Topic: Top 5 JRPGs for Total n00bs! - Post Yours!  (Read 1511 times)
Aeolus
This is the Monado's Powerbomb!

Little did he know, the fall damage would KO him.

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: July 31, 2015, 07:11:01 PM »

I'm really bad with music...
I pretty much don't 'hear' the music in anything unless it's legendary quality (to my own taste).
I'm really good at numbing background noise due to reasons and often, my brain will just cancel music out =/

Most of the time, after a movie, whoever I went with goes "Man, the music was great!" to which I ponder "There was music?"

All that to say: I don't remember a single song from BoF4...

---

How about Ar Tonelico games? Ar Tonelico or Ar Tonelico 2 would be great for noobs.

Ar Tonelico 2 maybe, as that was the only good game in that series (no idea about Ar Surge).

In my vision, I see that one of us is going to KO the other.
Ramza
Enjoying Retirement
Editor Emeritus

TSDPatGann
View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: July 31, 2015, 07:35:26 PM »

I've "converted" many people with the power of Chrono Trigger. It helps that it's on so many platforms.

The truth is, though, Square built their audience themselves with FFVII. Like it or not, that game sold like hotcakes, and they marketed it to do so. I can't tell you how many people I talk to that say "FFVII was my first RPG."

But for people who have totally missed the boat, I put 'em on CT. Works like a charm.

DariaRPG

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: August 01, 2015, 08:21:43 PM »

I pretty much don't 'hear' the music in anything unless it's legendary quality (to my own taste).
I'm really good at numbing background noise due to reasons and often, my brain will just cancel music out =/

Most of the time, after a movie, whoever I went with goes "Man, the music was great!" to which I ponder "There was music?"

This is me. I don't feel qualified to really critique music so I don't even bother. Unless it's like outstandingly good (or bad) it's just background noise to me.
Agent D.

"Mage"nt D.

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: August 01, 2015, 08:34:18 PM »

Why has no one listed Super Mario RPG yet? That is like the epitome of noob rpgs, and it's still one of fhe best rpgs ever.

TASTY!
Starmongoose
Contributing Editor

Smiley Abuser

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: August 01, 2015, 11:49:44 PM »

This is me. I don't feel qualified to really critique music so I don't even bother. Unless it's like outstandingly good (or bad) it's just background noise to me.

This is me too. I find it difficult to review games soundtracks because of it (also I just find reviewing soundtracks to be difficult for me, I find it hard to describe music other than "good" or "bad") but yeah, unless it stands out to me, it's just background noise.

Though I still get super nostalgic for a lot of soundtracks just because of the amount of time I spent playing them.

Yggdrasil

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: August 02, 2015, 12:10:25 AM »

^Appreciating soundtracks in general is something that can take effort if you don't have a certain affinity with music. Also talking or describing why a certain piece is good or its composition is worthy of attention comes mostly from self-interest and experience.
MeshGearFox

HERE ON RUM ISLAND WE DO NOT BELIEVE IN RUM!

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: August 02, 2015, 12:22:05 AM »

There are some games that are so good that lackluster music takes nothing away from them.  Tales of Symphonia comes to mind here.  That game was one of that generation's finest, even with a lackluster, phoned-in soundtrack.  But I find those to be exceptions.  Music and sound design is important to me, especially nowadays where even indie games feature voice acting and such.  

I think my biggest issue with Symphonia's soundtrack was... the instrumentation/instrument samples? Maybe the compositions per se were good, maybe they weren't -- I couldn't tell because it was like listening to, for example, Valkyrie Profile's soundtrack piped through an emulator with the sound accuracy turned way down. It had this disjointed, MIDI-like quality to it.

Especially weird since Baten Kaitos' soundtrack did /not/ have that problem.

I do like BoF4's music but it's more ambient than melody oriented so I don't think it's something you'd really remembered.

o/` I do not feel joy o/`
o/` I do not dream o/`
o/` I only stare at the door and smoke o/`

Ness

lover of mother(s)

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: August 02, 2015, 11:44:04 AM »

1. Chrono Trigger
2. Pokemon Red/Blue
3. Lunar: SSS
4. Paper Mario
5. Skies of Arcadia

For me, those are the games I remember that do the best job of easing a player into the game without dropping the hammer at random early points.
Maxximum
Insert funny text here
Contributing Editor

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: August 03, 2015, 01:33:39 PM »

You're being rather picky with your rules but here goes:

1. Suikoden (Konami; Playstation) - Got me to love jRPGs and ticks all the boxes in my book.
2. Chrono Trigger (Square; SNES) - no explanation needed, its a classic that keeps on giving.
3. Mario & Luigi - Superstar Saga (Nintendo; GBA) - its simple, fun and oozes with charm.
4. Dragon Quest VIII (Level-5; Playstation 2) - Loads of charm, lots to do.
5. Knights of Pen & Paper + 1 (Behold Studios; Mobile) OK, the story may not be epic and it just barely beat out Wild Arms because I wanted to diversify platforms but its the prefect game to get you started with RPGs while sitting on the toilet.

Honorable mention: Final Fantasy XIII  (Square-Enix; Playstation 3, Xbox 360) - It's unintentionally hilarious and pretty much plays itself :)
Yes, it is a joke and another cheap shot at FFXIII
« Last Edit: August 03, 2015, 01:40:36 PM by Maxximum » Logged

NOW PLAYING:
:
:
:
Aeolus
This is the Monado's Powerbomb!

Little did he know, the fall damage would KO him.

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #24 on: August 03, 2015, 06:05:14 PM »

1. Chrono Trigger
2. Pokemon Red/Blue
3. Lunar: SSS
4. Paper Mario
5. Skies of Arcadia

For me, those are the games I remember that do the best job of easing a player into the game without dropping the hammer at random early points.

People posting their first games regardless of the barriers of entry (Skies of Arcadia) or as to whether or not there are superior experiences available (lol Gen 1 Pokemon), let alone are following the rules (i.e. Paper Mario/Pokemon) itt, confirmed.

In my vision, I see that one of us is going to KO the other.
Der Jermeister

The Angry Videogame Fur

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #25 on: August 03, 2015, 09:58:40 PM »

1. Dragon Quest
2. Final Fantasy (preferably Dawn of Souls version)
3. Kingdom Hearts
4. Diablo
5. Fire Emblem Awakening

Andrew
Administrator

View Profile Email
« Reply #26 on: August 03, 2015, 10:09:58 PM »

If you showed most of the games on this topic to someone who has never played an RPG before I'm pretty sure they'd hate/be confused by almost all of them, especially if they're not a gamer either. This topic is archaic game design 101.

My first JRPG does not equal best JRPG for newbies.

Edit: That said, if you're giving them to little kids who have the sort of time we did when we first played most of these games then you'd probably do better than with adults.
« Last Edit: August 03, 2015, 10:14:20 PM by Andrew » Logged

Lard

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #27 on: August 07, 2015, 05:39:19 AM »

1. Suikoden I

2. Grandia I

3. Skies of Arcadia

4. Phantasy Star IV

5 Lunar SSS

These all have pretty straightforward battle systems and are pretty good examples of the genre.

However, you can easily make an argument for one of the earlier FFs, Dragon Quests, Breath of Fire, Persona 3/4 and maybe Jade Cocoon for someone who may not be into Pokemon.

I avoid online multiplayer because my brain still works.
mecharobot

Thunder of the dogs! INDIGNATION

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #28 on: August 07, 2015, 07:08:42 AM »

If you showed most of the games on this topic to someone who has never played an RPG before I'm pretty sure they'd hate/be confused by almost all of them, especially if they're not a gamer either. This topic is archaic game design 101.

I have a friend who was impressed seeing me play Resonance of Fate and borrowed it from me. Maybe not the ideal game that an experienced JRPG connoisseur would think of, but things don't always follow this so called "expert logic".
Hidoshi
Fire in the Thunderclap

Filthy Gamer Feminist

clothothespinner@hotmail.com BrandingRune
View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #29 on: August 07, 2015, 10:30:12 AM »

I'm doing less of a "n00b" list and more of a "this is what I think you should play, period" entry.

5. Xenogears - Complex and conceited lore, rich with both real-world and fictional philosophical elements, some great characterization, and enjoyable gameplay systems. Probably some of the best music Yasunori Mitsuda ever scored, as well. Atmospheric in all the right ways.

4. Phantasy Star IV - Graphically advanced for its time, killer soundtrack by Izuho Numata, some great characters and plotting, and a really fun combat system. Aesthetically one of my favourite games, and featured a lot of female staff including both the director (Rieko Kodama) and the aforementioned composer -- one of the few RPGs where this happened.

3. Suikoden II - While I love the first game, II is so much more satisfying across the board. Better aesthetics, more refined gameplay, far more engrossing character development, and one of the better villain build-ups in both Luca and...
Code:
Jowy
Scenes in the game can still make me emotional, either due to sadness or triumph. Lots of love for Nanami, Pilika, and mah boi Viktor.

2. Persona 4 - Not unlike Suikoden II, Persona 4 is the "everything we did in P3 but better" game for me. Daring, modern aesthetics, great gameplay systems in place, and a story that blends Jungian psychology with YA fic tropes to produce something really unique and engaging. Serves almost as actual literature, which is hard for a game to do.

1. Final Fantasy VI - In my mind, still the end of the 16-bit-era's style of "storytelling as adapted from stage productions", which would be largely replaced by the cinematic method FFVII introduced. An excellent, diverse cast and plot, with gameplay which further refined the look and feel of its predecessors. Great opening to the second world, and outstanding visuals. Quite not quite the same aesthetic calibre as Star Ocean and Tales of Phantasia, it was nonetheless more balanced in other ways, and felt like one of the first truly large iterations of the FF brand.

I run this: ConBravo! The Annual Festival of Everything Geek
I work here: Innovate By Day
Pages: 1 [2] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: