Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
August 27, 2016, 07:44:18 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
Check out the latest RPG news!
246551 Posts in 7383 Topics by 2383 Members
Latest Member: xxkinsmanxx
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Single-Player RPGs
| | |-+  Mass Effect 3 anyone?/Bioware thread
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] Print
Author Topic: Mass Effect 3 anyone?/Bioware thread  (Read 2118 times)
Draak

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: January 27, 2016, 11:34:45 PM »

Shamus Young is doing a series retrospective. He's covering ME3 now.
Artimicia

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: June 06, 2016, 02:43:50 PM »

I'm just going to er... revive my own thread here slightly which is simply to say well regardless of how people feel about the ME3 ending the ME3 game and trilogy as a whole I thought were quite impressive. It was just so... like... epic and a lot of the characters and NPCs were really likable. I don't know like you have Hackett and he's just this like inspiring war general guy but you know he's compassionate also and even though he's making tough decisions he doesn't really always show the compassionate side but it's definitely there.

It's the same with a number of other ME characters, overall they just are pretty interesting and kind of make the experience better, all those interactions I think are secondary at times to the kind of "overarching plot" in my personal experience although I guess people weren't sure about it for X or Y reason.

Anyway, I don't know, it's just all the silly Canadian humor or something (which isn't to say that kind of thing is restricted to such a country of course!), or just the impressive progress in graphics or the accessibility, it's just a really impressive series.

But like that's just me the random fan I don't really necessarily consider myself super knowlegeable but it definitely has been/was like an interesting game. 
bigdeath

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: June 23, 2016, 02:49:42 PM »

I enjoyed the first two Mass Effect games and played them quite a bit.  Mass Effect 3 doesn't still engender the hatred that it did.  I think it's less that I've gotten over the ending and more that I've forgotten about this series very quickly.  I had a talk with an RPGFan editor about Mass Effect the other day over Twitter...or tried to, because I couldn't remember the name of whatever alien race Garrus is, whatever alien race Mordin is, and whatever alien race Wrex is.

I don't think these games are gonna be ones that stick with me over the decades, man.

Heresy, I could rant about the lore of game but then again I am super nerd like that. To be fair, I'm sure I've replayed mass effect games far more than you. lol Ah, well. Just not your type of game.

I'll agree with the OP that Mass Effect 3 has a lot of tension and builded up to an ending that people couldn't accept for various reasons. But for the most part, its overblown and ME 3 got a bad rap for no good reason. Its still probably my favorite in the series. It definitely has the best combat in the series and some of the best storylines such as Tuchanka and Rannoch.

For me, personally, I really enjoyed the mass effect series. I'll remember it and replay it again some time in the future no doubt. (Will probably replay at least ME 3 when the release date for the new ME game comes closer).
« Last Edit: June 23, 2016, 03:00:42 PM by bigdeath » Logged
Prime Mover

All's fair in love, war, and the recording studio

Shattre
View Profile WWW Email

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: June 23, 2016, 04:01:24 PM »

I recently replayed the ME trilogy, and I liked ME3 a lot more than I remember. I've always heralded ME2 as one of the best sci-fi games ever made, but ME3 is right there too. If you remove the ending controversy, it's just so immense and full of things to do, some amazing story lines and dialog, and is just infinitely immersive.

This time I tried it with the merge ending, which I never really hear about. To my surprise, it's the "happy ending" I think everyone wanted, and makes the most amount of sense. I hear people complain that "Shepard would never allow humanity to merge with synthetics", but I just don't buy that at all. The entire series has been about bringing civilizations together, both organic and synthetic. When faced with this "ultimate problem" that organics and synthetics will always annihilate each other (as ridiculous as that sounds), in their game universe, if you really face that as the reality, the merge option makes a lot of sense.

But at the same time I think that the gaming community, myself included, wasn't really interested in having the series culminate in such a universe-changing problem. Honestly, I'm not a fan, it felt forced. The main theme of the game was bringing peoples together to overcome an insurmountable foe, and I feel like it would have been simpler and more effective to just play that out.
glassjawsh

Salvum est Vita!

View Profile WWW Email

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: June 23, 2016, 04:14:15 PM »

All I know I is that I connected with FemShep in a way that I haven't with any other video game protagonist. 

And also Jack is one of the best supporting characters ever.

Ranadiel

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: June 24, 2016, 05:58:15 AM »

This time I tried it with the merge ending, which I never really hear about. To my surprise, it's the "happy ending" I think everyone wanted, and makes the most amount of sense. I hear people complain that "Shepard would never allow humanity to merge with synthetics", but I just don't buy that at all. The entire series has been about bringing civilizations together, both organic and synthetic. When faced with this "ultimate problem" that organics and synthetics will always annihilate each other (as ridiculous as that sounds), in their game universe, if you really face that as the reality, the merge option makes a lot of sense.
Biggest problem with synthesis ending is that Shepard rejected the idea back in ME1. Well or maybe the biggest problem is that Shepard is just unilaterally deciding what's best for everyone in the galaxy. That random primitive tribe that has never even thought of technology beyond a bow and arrow on some undiscovered planet? They now have to live with techno organic parts. Although I know for other people the problem is the whole space magic aspect of it. Also for synthesis to make any sense, you have to accept Starbrat's claims that he is right. If you believe him to be full of hot air then synthesis is the solution to a non-existent problem. >.>
Artimicia

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: June 24, 2016, 09:03:27 AM »

I don't know ending aside I was just really entertained by the game, I felt like it had everything Bioware gamey lots of jokes drama, epic, sad, everything it was a pretty special game I thought all things considered.

Dang sexy Canadiens and their charming.... charms.
« Last Edit: June 30, 2016, 08:18:12 AM by Artimicia » Logged
Prime Mover

Shattre
View Profile WWW Email

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: July 01, 2016, 03:43:12 AM »

Biggest problem with synthesis ending is that Shepard rejected the idea back in ME1.
I keep hearing this, but I'm not sure what part of ME1 you're referring to. And even so, at the point of ME1, Shepard has no where near the knowledge to make an informed decision on the matter. The information learned during ME3 really could change a person's decision, even if they had previously thought otherwise.

B) Star Kid "being full of hot air" really isn't a concern. Either he's all out lying, or he's correct. From what he claims, he's been around long enough to make a very knowledgable assessment of the situation. Either, he has a totally ulterior motive and is lying to you to make you do something, or he's telling the truth and probably is far more informed to make a judgement call than you are. Given that the choice you are given has three extremely different outcomes, it's hard to imagine how any ulterior motive would survive in all three situations, so given that, I think the chances are, he's telling the truth, and probably should be taken at his word.

I'm not saying that it was by any means a great plot twist or story telling, but from an internal perspective, given the information we have, I can understand the choices we're given.
Ranadiel

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: July 01, 2016, 05:59:58 AM »

Biggest problem with synthesis ending is that Shepard rejected the idea back in ME1.
I keep hearing this, but I'm not sure what part of ME1 you're referring to. And even so, at the point of ME1, Shepard has no where near the knowledge to make an informed decision on the matter. The information learned during ME3 really could change a person's decision, even if they had previously thought otherwise.

B) Star Kid "being full of hot air" really isn't a concern. Either he's all out lying, or he's correct. From what he claims, he's been around long enough to make a very knowledgable assessment of the situation. Either, he has a totally ulterior motive and is lying to you to make you do something, or he's telling the truth and probably is far more informed to make a judgement call than you are. Given that the choice you are given has three extremely different outcomes, it's hard to imagine how any ulterior motive would survive in all three situations, so given that, I think the chances are, he's telling the truth, and probably should be taken at his word.

I'm not saying that it was by any means a great plot twist or story telling, but from an internal perspective, given the information we have, I can understand the choices we're given.

1. Saren's whole thing in ME1 was about working with the reapers to ensure our survival because we can't win. I can't immediately find a quote stating that this would result in organic technological hybrids, but I know that was my impression considering that he gets implanted with fancy reaper tech for his service (which turns him into the final boss). And he drones on about "I'm forging an alliance between us and the Reapers, between organics and machines..."

2. I don't care how long he has been around. He is wrong, and ME3 reinforces that he is wrong prior to him showing up. And no matter which of his choices you choose, you are still trusting a malfunctioning A.I. (killing is saving!) that what he says is true. Shepard has no way of knowing whether the starbrat is telling the truth, and it is the enemy commander, so it isn't like there is any real reason to trust him.
Prime Mover

Shattre
View Profile WWW Email

Ignore
« Reply #24 on: July 01, 2016, 03:40:57 PM »

"Joining the Reapers" is nothing like what Star Kid is saying. The Reapers aren't the ultimate problem, they're simply a tool to "correct" the problem. They pretty much vanish or shut down, as they are deprived of their purpose. While Shepard does say he would never join with the Reapers (as he shouldn't), they're a specific enemy attacking all life... but that doesn't preclude him from considering the joining of organics and machines to sort out a much larger problem.

Secondly, Star Kid didn't create or control the Reapers, the Leviathans did. Star Kid is simply able to correct the problem in a different way than the repairs are. In fact, I don't think they really have much of anything to do with each other. To me, it seems like he's saying that organics would have wiped each other out long ago if the Reapers hadn't been there to do their culling. He's there to solve a bigger problem, one the Reapers are a part of, but nowhere near the whole.

Look, I hate the Star Kid/Catalyst twist too, it's way outside the scope of the rest of the series, and sloppy, and forces you to make a bunch of leaps. But, I'm not sure it's wrong for the exact reasons you're saying. You seem to be relying on the assumption that Star Kid and the Reapers are connected, which there's no evidence that they are, and therefor, I don't think the "faulty" point is particularly valid.
Ranadiel

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #25 on: July 02, 2016, 08:22:52 AM »

"Joining the Reapers" is nothing like what Star Kid is saying. The Reapers aren't the ultimate problem, they're simply a tool to "correct" the problem. They pretty much vanish or shut down, as they are deprived of their purpose. While Shepard does say he would never join with the Reapers (as he shouldn't), they're a specific enemy attacking all life... but that doesn't preclude him from considering the joining of organics and machines to sort out a much larger problem.

Secondly, Star Kid didn't create or control the Reapers, the Leviathans did. Star Kid is simply able to correct the problem in a different way than the repairs are. In fact, I don't think they really have much of anything to do with each other. To me, it seems like he's saying that organics would have wiped each other out long ago if the Reapers hadn't been there to do their culling. He's there to solve a bigger problem, one the Reapers are a part of, but nowhere near the whole.

Look, I hate the Star Kid/Catalyst twist too, it's way outside the scope of the rest of the series, and sloppy, and forces you to make a bunch of leaps. But, I'm not sure it's wrong for the exact reasons you're saying. You seem to be relying on the assumption that Star Kid and the Reapers are connected, which there's no evidence that they are, and therefor, I don't think the "faulty" point is particularly valid.
-A problem that doesn't exist unless you accept the concept of the technological singularity which I do not and nothing forced Shepard to do so until the last 5 min of the game.

-And Starbrat disagress with you regarding the Reapers:

"Shepard: I need to stop the Reapers, do you know how I can do that?

Catalyst: Perhaps. I control the Reapers. They are my solution."

He is totally connected to them. He is essentially their boss and he states as such. Sure he didn't physically create them since he is an A.I., but he is the one who gave them their purpose.
bigdeath

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #26 on: July 02, 2016, 03:24:12 PM »

Personally, I liked the original ending that implied the mass relays were destroyed. It gave the ending a bittersweet feeling. But of course, a depressing ending upset the fan base too much. Meh.

As for the Star-child, it was like Deus Ex endings. Press a button and get an ambiguous ending. Doesn't bug me much in Deus Ex and didn't bug me much with Mass Effect. I feel the journey of a game is more important than the ending and I didn't even think the ending was bad.

Clearly, most fans don't agree with me so I'll go sit in the corner alone.
« Last Edit: July 02, 2016, 03:26:05 PM by bigdeath » Logged
Artimicia

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #27 on: July 09, 2016, 01:44:29 PM »

I decided to change this to the /Bioware thread because I noticed KOTOR was streaming... one of my favorite Bioware games especially played Dark side MWhahahahahah!

« Last Edit: July 09, 2016, 03:32:28 PM by Artimicia » Logged
Pages: 1 [2] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: