Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 23, 2015, 11:14:11 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
Have a great 2015 from all of us at RPGfan. :)
355565 Posts in 14452 Topics by 2260 Members
Latest Member: Kater
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Single-Player RPGs
| | |-+  New 3DS Fire Emblem If
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] Print
Author Topic: New 3DS Fire Emblem If  (Read 2687 times)
Jimmy

Wakens the Ferine Strain

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #60 on: May 15, 2015, 10:15:34 AM »

I'm unsure what to think of all the recent news. More and more it sounds like the new game(s) will be a hot, jumbled mess. I'm unsure of removing the usage number on weapons. I assume it makes sense because, like a lot of other people, I just stick with the cheaper weapons as much as possible and try to hoard the stronger, more expensive, or rare weapons for when I actually need them. With the removal of the usage limits, then you could just bump up a unit's weapon when they're ready rather than wait, which would be nice, but I think an important part of Fire Emblem is actually managing your inventory closely. You're in command of an army, after all, and armies need to have supplies managed carefully. It would also take some of the difficulty out of the gameplay, unless IS bumps adjust gameplay and difficulty to accommodate the change.

I too would just like some good, ol' fashioned FE at the end of the day. So long as the gameplay and inventory management stuff allows me to continue to enjoy it as much as I have older games in the series, then I'm good with the changes.
Starmongoose
Contributing Editor

Smiley Abuser

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #61 on: May 15, 2015, 10:35:04 AM »

Well, this isn't the first time Fire Emblem hasn't had a number use on weapons, everyone talks like this is a new dumbing down when it isn't really. Fire Emblem Gaiden didn't have any use on weapons. It's all about how it's balanced, personally I think this could be a good thing.

This kind of system means that each weapon is going to serve a specific purpose. In Awakening there isn't any reason not to use a Steel Sword over a Slim Sword because Awkening had to Weight stat, so it didn't matter it was just an overall better weapon. But if weapons don't break, then they probably won't have a system which means your inventory is going to eventually get weighed down by 20 iron swords, slim lances, iron bows etc.

Weapons will probably be less "diverse" (though really I just mean it will cut down the number of weapons, there being 4 different varients of the same sword doesn't really count as diversity (slim, iron, steel, silver). I could see stuff like Levin Swords and Holy weapons that can heal you if you "use" them being made more prominent as situational weapons that are good to have on you, rather than just filling your character up on Silver weapons and Killing Edges.

SAVE THE PENGUIN!

Here to suck the fun out of games.
Aeolus
This is the Monado's Powerbomb!

Little did he know, the fall damage would KO him.

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #62 on: May 15, 2015, 01:27:25 PM »

Well, this isn't the first time Fire Emblem hasn't had a number use on weapons, everyone talks like this is a new dumbing down when it isn't really. Fire Emblem Gaiden didn't have any use on weapons. It's all about how it's balanced, personally I think this could be a good thing.

This kind of system means that each weapon is going to serve a specific purpose. In Awakening there isn't any reason not to use a Steel Sword over a Slim Sword because Awkening had to Weight stat, so it didn't matter it was just an overall better weapon. But if weapons don't break, then they probably won't have a system which means your inventory is going to eventually get weighed down by 20 iron swords, slim lances, iron bows etc.

Weapons will probably be less "diverse" (though really I just mean it will cut down the number of weapons, there being 4 different varients of the same sword doesn't really count as diversity (slim, iron, steel, silver). I could see stuff like Levin Swords and Holy weapons that can heal you if you "use" them being made more prominent as situational weapons that are good to have on you, rather than just filling your character up on Silver weapons and Killing Edges.

The Gaiden thing is pretty much what I'm expecting as well.

Especially when you consider just how many fancy weapons your royal siblings are getting (there's Max's Purple Great Sword, Ryouma's Lightning Katana, Takumi's Glowy Arrows, Leon's obvious Dark Tome and possibly other neat weapons), having them all be short lived Prf weapons is pretty lame unless you get them super late or you get a second copy eventually (the latter of which would defeat the purpose of them possibly being Legendaries). Additionally, not having to constantly replace weapons, will almost definitely mean that they're will be fewer to go around. It's likely that like Gaiden and FE4, there'll be more of an emphasis on 'who gets what' versus 'everyone gets Silver/Brave'.

Additionally, we could be seeing the return of some of the more esoteric weapon mechanics like FE4's Kill Count (50+ unlocked a skill in that game and additional kills up to 100 modified the odds of triggering said skill). In fact, I wouldn't be surprised if weapons and items were handled in a similar way (minus the whole 'only couples can trade weapons/cash with each other' mechanic; which while cumbersome, did add a need to focus on making sure the right weapon landed in the right character's inventory, since you needed to sell then buy the item back with the right character, which was expensive). Additionally, of the three status screens shown thus far, both playable characters shown (Kamui and Aqua) had unexplained buffs to their stats. Granted Skills, Terrain, or other Characters could've influenced these stats, its also possible that their Weapons could've done so as well (and with more potent bonuses than Awakening's dinky +2/+2, +5 (+10 in Nidhogg's case) or +whatever transformational stones provided).

Basically, I can't say what no weapon durability means right now (and probably for another 2 weeks). As for the Phoenix Mode? I will admit that its a tad ridiculous, but at least the previous modes are still around, so there's no need to play only Phoenix Mode (and don't forget that a lot of veteran FE players used to consider the series infamously hard when they first started playing because of the idea of permadeath not showing up in JRPG style games beyond the occasional plot death). That said, the only reason why I'd ever consider using Phoenix Mode in Awakening (had it been available), would have been to save a bit of time grinding supports (since characters that fell in Casual Mode came back without any gained support points that they had accumulated during said fight), which worries me more since that implies the return of Waifu Emblem (while FE4 did a fairly good job of it due to the way it was integrated within the story, it stuck out like a sore thumb in Awakening and If's just going to become a clusterfuck if it tries to pull something similar).

Also, another reason to not use Slim Swords or Lances in Awakening is that there aren't any. Bronze was the base tier, and the only reason to ever want to use them after graduating to Iron and up was to train weapon ranks back up from E (and not use the really crappy joke weapons).
« Last Edit: May 15, 2015, 01:29:33 PM by Aeolus » Logged

In my vision, I see that one of us is going to KO the other.
Aeolus

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #63 on: May 19, 2015, 08:41:05 AM »

Again with the paired up posts but I didn't want to add this to the wall of text above: http://gematsu.com/2015/05/fire-emblem-if-changes-up-the-weapon-triangle

It was pretty obvious that something was changing when it looked like Bows were going to be strong against Lances and weak against Swords. Now we have some concrete deets on the matter.

Also there's some examples of the weapon mechanics I was blindly stabbing at in aforementioned wall of text above.

Also some character and class names are also present to round off the information.

Aurian

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #64 on: May 19, 2015, 08:18:01 PM »

Maid and butler classes? 0_o
timmyFd

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #65 on: May 19, 2015, 08:49:55 PM »

They kinda already had another weapon triangle in Awakening. Except it was more of a lopsided weapon hexagon. I doubt this'll change much about gameplay...
Tomara

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #66 on: May 20, 2015, 03:30:32 AM »

Maid and butler classes? 0_o

It makes some sense with the concealed weapons and all, but I have no idea why you would bring a maid/butler to the battlefield. So they can pour their lord some lovely tea between turns? There's no good reason to bring and that makes them highly suspicious, which removes all the sense the class could have made.

Now I kind of want them to serve tea. Make the tea have similar effects to dances/songs! I really like the idea of having my paladin rush back after hitting the enemy, drink a refreshing cup of lemon tea, and then rush back for a second attack with his regained energy. Intelligent Systems, make it happen!

(For a moment I wanted to shorten Intelligent Systems to IS, but that doesn't work anymore, does it?)
Aurian

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #67 on: May 20, 2015, 09:20:49 AM »

"Oops milord, you have some dirt on your armour. Kindly get back here so I can dust you off with this feather duster...."

I like the tea idea though! :D ☕️
Tomara

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #68 on: May 20, 2015, 09:26:42 AM »

The feather duster temporarily boosts defence by removing corrosive dirt, making the butler an essential companion for that meat shield you're going to dump after chapter 10 because he's a stupid Jagen and you'll have better units to waste your exp on by then.
Aeolus

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #69 on: May 20, 2015, 07:53:15 PM »

Sadly, the Great Butler class was not meant to be (this time, as I somehow suspect that a Great Butler in-series joke will spawn from this and then in about 5 years, FE16 will have an actual Great Butler class).

We still have our regular Butler and Maid classes though. After all, what's the point of having all these Princes/Princesses running around if they don't have any staff to serve them? Do they carry their weapons and golfballs around with them like goddamn commoners, or do they have their loyal caddies do it for them (also am disappoint at lack of Caddy class)?

Ranadiel

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #70 on: May 21, 2015, 06:42:52 AM »

It makes some sense with the concealed weapons and all, but I have no idea why you would bring a maid/butler to the battlefield. So they can pour their lord some lovely tea between turns? There's no good reason to bring and that makes them highly suspicious, which removes all the sense the class could have made.
To be fair Maid/Butler are probably the Nohr equivalent to the Hoshido (sp?) ninja...and having a ninja in the middle of the battlefield is more suspicious imo than having a maid or butler so it all evens out. >.>
Aeolus

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #71 on: May 21, 2015, 07:03:42 AM »

To be fair Maid/Butler are probably the Nohr equivalent to the Hoshido (sp?) ninja...and having a ninja in the middle of the battlefield is more suspicious imo than having a maid or butler so it all evens out. >.>

Sadly, the screenshots shoot that theory down, as they depict both the Maid and Butler with Knives and Healing Staffs (or whatever equivalent Hoshido uses). The Maid in particular has the two skills attributed to Awakening's Troubadour (Res +2 and Demoiselle) in her status screen (along with a currently unidentified third skill). Moreover, said maid has 3 Skills and 6 Move at Level 2, which suggests that the Maid Class is a promoted class. I wouldn't be surprised if the same applied to the Butler.

Ranadiel

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #72 on: May 22, 2015, 07:04:49 AM »

Sadly, the screenshots shoot that theory down, as they depict both the Maid and Butler with Knives and Healing Staffs (or whatever equivalent Hoshido uses). The Maid in particular has the two skills attributed to Awakening's Troubadour (Res +2 and Demoiselle) in her status screen (along with a currently unidentified third skill). Moreover, said maid has 3 Skills and 6 Move at Level 2, which suggests that the Maid Class is a promoted class. I wouldn't be surprised if the same applied to the Butler.
Okay so that would make Maid/Butler the replacement class for War Cleric, at least for Nohr. Do we actually have any details on Ninja beyond that they use hidden weapons?

...and I maintain that maids and butlers stick out slightly less than a ninja would on a battlefield. :p
Aeolus

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #73 on: May 22, 2015, 10:28:39 AM »

Okay so that would make Maid/Butler the replacement class for War Cleric, at least for Nohr. Do we actually have any details on Ninja beyond that they use hidden weapons?

...and I maintain that maids and butlers stick out slightly less than a ninja would on a battlefield. :p

We know that they're a tier 1 class since our playable Ninjas are this game's Christmas Knights (plus a subscriber to the 'Cecil third wheel' archetype to round out the trio). Other than that, they look to have rounded stats in Str, Skl and Spd, but are going to be made of paper.

Also:

Just look at that guy.

Ranadiel

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #74 on: Today at 06:06:37 AM »

Also:

Just look at that guy.
USA! USA! USA!
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: