Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
September 03, 2015, 01:26:49 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
Check out the latest RPG news!
363643 Posts in 14733 Topics by 2302 Members
Latest Member: Eppie
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Single-Player RPGs
| | |-+  Lets design a jRPG (and then I'll try to make it!)
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] Print
Author Topic: Lets design a jRPG (and then I'll try to make it!)  (Read 2150 times)
Agent D.

"Mage"nt D.

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #45 on: August 07, 2015, 10:30:36 PM »

Since you say modern culture, can I toss an idea out?

Setting is a large city, something like NYC, and people are rising up against the tyrannical government. You are a veteran cop and have been assigned a new partner who is eager to please you, as you're well known on the force, but little does hevknow you are also the leader of a resistance movement trying to assasinate the current leader....

As I'm LITERALLY coming up with this as I type, I wanna toss out a few more quick ideas that aren't quite fleshed out yet. I figure at one point you get found out by your partner who turns out to be the son of the leader you want to kill and that he was planted to find out how deep you are. However, it's a torn decision because as he works with you he sees what is happening and he wants to help, and after some time he comes to help you again in hopes to save his father from death, but end his rule. You come across fellow officers and resistance members, and even citizens who simply desire to help in some way or another ( quests, party members, new equipment suppliers, etc). Before the end of the game though, you will find out that the leader is more or less a figurehead, being manipulated from behind the scenes by a more terrifying force and worse yet, they're after you to take over the reigns of leading the society as you've built so many bridges and created hope where it is once lost....

That's all I got so far, really raw, rough idea.

That almost sounds like a grimdark version of Citizens of Earth.  Now there was a game that completely overstayed its welcome.  It was goofy fun for about 12 hours, but then it wore out its welcome.  That game was not meant to be a 40 hour epic.  It was a 40 hour slog.
Not gonna lie, I was at first aiming for goofy similar to that, but then it took a real turn and I went with cop and rebellion. I actually had a few more ideas from it but forgot them entirely... great ideas always work like that :(

TASTY!
Dice
I'm fart and I'm smunny
AMG A GIRL

...AND STEVEN.

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #46 on: August 08, 2015, 08:04:58 PM »

Are you doing swords and sorcery, modern day mysticism, or sci fi future tech?

Story and setting are far from final at the moment, so I really can't say yet. The default assets I have to work with point to S&S but it's really down to what we all come up with and weather I think I can pull it off.
At the moment I'm looking at a fantasy setting which borrows from modern culture. Essentially, the fantasy jRPG version of The Flintstones.

Do the best of both worlds.

The story starts in a mythical and magical and mysterious kingdom of Felalala (or whatever silly fantasy name) when one of its finest and youngest warriors (make it a girl, it's a bit 'cuter'/JRPG-er in a way) who magically winds up in modern day Earth where stuff like knights and magic are sort of traded out for guns and technology (where we then pull a "The Devil is a Part-timer" where the "big bad" also comes to the modern day world to ensure chaos or where our magic knight fights against some bad corporation thing).  

With a main fella in the modern-verse as part smart-ass and "the guide to Earth" of course and some motley crew of adorable misfits.  One is a catgirl (of course) from the Fantasy-verse, some too-hot-elf (again, of course) and other weird Earthies too.

Hijinks ensue.

Best of fantasy but with the fun bits of modernity that's easy to reference and easy to joke with because it's got the characters out of their element in "the real world" versus the RPG world.

Idea:

Four sacred development studio have been forced to develop exploitative mobile games for the evil KNM empire in order to turn the general population into addicts who'll gladly hand over their hard earned cash to continue playing. Only you can save them (and the wallets of the people)! Gather an army of 108 characters* (104 of whom turn out to be useless NPCs)! Hang out in your own castle! Play simple minigames to earn money you'll only every really need if you want to expand said castle!

*Who may or may not be named after RPGfan members and their pets.

Love this too. xD  All of it, especially agree on the final bit. ō_ō

It should be added that "build your city" or anything like it usually gains games a full letter grade --- everyone loves them.
« Last Edit: August 08, 2015, 11:32:14 PM by Dice » Logged

http://society6.com/Dice963
http://www.redbubble.com/people/dice9633
http://dice963.tumblr.com/

Support your local Dice (and pitch her ideas)!
RAINBOW PIXEL POWER!!!
ZeronHitaro

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #47 on: August 08, 2015, 08:44:28 PM »

It's really tempting to weight my 2 CR in here but I believe in the 'too many cooks' mantra.

I will at least toss this out though. jRPGs are sort of the one bastion of paradise left in the writing world when it comes to imaginative works. Every other genre and medium is flooded with nitpickers and realists; then kind who whine 'That isn't possible!' and have suspension of disbelieve bars lowered to the point where even the boneless-wonder of the world couldn't limbo under it. You can use just about any setting, any system of world mechanics, beliefs, character types, ect. Most writers would carve off their left ear for that sort of freedom and audience leniency.

Don't squander it on bland parody or genre-trope repetition. (Sorry, but jRPGs already parody themselves so constantly that 'making fun of them' basically means you're carbon copying them anyway.)

Take a leap out and work in waters not tread before. You'll thank me for it. 
Dincrest
Analogy spouting
RPGFan Editor

I approve of this nonsense!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #48 on: August 08, 2015, 09:13:35 PM »

Here's an idea:

Since this is Maxx's first RPGM creation and him merely cutting his teeth on the software, perhaps he could take each crazy idea and program it into a 30 second vignette.  Some vignettes will be dialogue, others will be fighting, others will be walking around.  This way, he'll be able to explore myriad ideas, experiment with the software, and see which idea "mojos" with him the best for him to want to take it further in his own particular idiom.  One of the vignettes could be a battle where the hero punts a ball into the boss's groin for all we care.  

The final product could be kinda like a movie trailer or the ASDF movies.  One quick scene *fade out/in* another quick scene etc.

That's the only thing I can think of to utilize everyone's creative monkeys and allow him to learn the software.  
« Last Edit: August 09, 2015, 06:26:14 AM by Dincrest » Logged

I have nothing funny to say.
Dice
I'm fart and I'm smunny
AMG A GIRL

...AND STEVEN.

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #49 on: August 08, 2015, 10:25:45 PM »

@ last two posts

Maxx, this is your baby.  GUIDE IT. :)
« Last Edit: August 08, 2015, 11:05:19 PM by Dice » Logged

http://society6.com/Dice963
http://www.redbubble.com/people/dice9633
http://dice963.tumblr.com/

Support your local Dice (and pitch her ideas)!
RAINBOW PIXEL POWER!!!
Agent D.

"Mage"nt D.

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #50 on: August 08, 2015, 10:56:53 PM »

Hey, all I did was toss some ideas that floated into my head at him. I am in no way gonna be upset if he doesn't use any of them or uses all of them. Maxx, make what you will of my gift to you sir, and good luck in any case.

TASTY!
Maxximum
Insert funny text here
Contributing Editor

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #51 on: August 09, 2015, 02:31:17 AM »

Maxx, this is your baby.  GUIDE IT. :)

Dont worry, I'm reading all of these. There's a lot of great ideas here but most of them differ too much to be used in the same game. At the moment the game is planned to be a short, hopefully funny, fantasy jRPG with nods to modern culture (think Flintstones). It won't be a full blown in your face parody but rather contain a load of references. I'm currently limited to the assets I got with RPGMaker, that's mostly because I want to focus on using the program rather than scavenging the web for art assets that would look consistent throughout the game. If this works out, I feel confident about my design skills and the ability to plan and complete a project, I'll look for some people to get on board and help me out with art and sound for the next project.

@Dincrest

I actually like that idea, might make one or two of these if I'm feeling blocked, but I do want to create a "game" even if it is very short.
« Last Edit: August 09, 2015, 02:33:42 AM by Maxximum » Logged

NOW PLAYING:
:
:
:
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: