Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 26, 2015, 10:12:18 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
Have a great 2015 from all of us at RPGfan. :)
349309 Posts in 14248 Topics by 2245 Members
Latest Member: Xanxos
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Single-Player RPGs
| | |-+  A Neptunia resource I'd really love...
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: A Neptunia resource I'd really love...  (Read 327 times)
Ramza
Enjoying Retirement
Editor Emeritus

TSDPatGann
View Profile WWW

Ignore
« on: February 26, 2015, 03:33:36 PM »

Does anyone know of a Neptunia flowchart?

With the naming conventions of stupidity, I have no idea what anything is anymore. Some are ports and remakes, but then others (with the same number) are new games entirely? I'm lost.

I've only played the first few hours of the first Neptunia on PS3. But I heard the series has gotten better over time.

Anyone able to help a brother out?

Ramza

ZeronHitaro

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2015, 03:45:00 PM »

Not a flow chart persay but really if you want to know what anything is your best bet these days are the various 'sub-Wikis' out there.

http://hyperdimensionneptunia.wikia.com/wiki/Hyperdimension_Neptunia_Wiki

Reserved Edit: (Done.)

List of Neptunia Games; Organized by Cannon & Chronology

Original Cannon
Hyperdimension Neptunia
Hyperdimension Nepunia mk 2
Hyperdimension Neptunia Victory

Spin Off Miku Hatsune Clone
Hyperdimension Neptunia: Producing Perfection

Alternate Dimension Cannon
Hyperdimension Neptunia Rebirth1
~ Rebirth 2
~ Rebirth 3

The next two I believe go between Rebirth 2 & 3.

(Terrible) Spin Off Dynasty Warriors Clone

Hyperdimension Neptunia U: Action Unleashed

SRPG Spin Off Game
Hyperdevotion Noire: Goddess Black Heart

??? Cannon (No one knows yet if this is the original cannon or the Rebirth cannon)
Shin Jigen Game Neptune VII

Also, whoever said the series has gotten better has liiiiied. XP I just traded in Re;Birth 1&2 after barely touching the second. I couldn't quite put my finger on what the biggest drain was until just yesterday and my wife agreed with the sentiment.

Neptunia's plot has effectively deleted all character conflict because it gets in the way of them being 'perfect waifus'.

Just compare the original Neptunia to Re;Birth1 in this one element for example. In that one all the CPUs were relatively hostile to Neptune at first and that tension slowly wore down over the course of the entire game. Re;Birth1? You get many...5 second of wariness. Then it's gone. For no reason then just to rug-sweep it. To add to the problems...

Dungeons are just as bland, samey, and recycled as the original.

Grinding is still nightmarish, and good luck unlocking gear without a guide for which monsters to farm for drops because that crap gets convoluted quickly.

Dialog is still extremely hit or miss in the humor department.

Pandering fanservice has gotten 'worse' in that it utterly annihilates characterization. (I.E: IF used to be the 'straight man' of the group to counter balance the nonsensical humor vibe in the original. Now as soon as you meet Vert she devolves into "...booooooobs...*drools*" as her only trait for the rest of the entire game.)

Combat is still 'mash Square to win, tactics aren't needed.', despite using a completely revamped system.

Transformations have actually gotten WORSE because there's no longer any fun 'Sailor Moon' esque scene where you get to see your different parts snap on. Just a flash of light and 'done'.

Literally the only improvement over the original is the music. :-\

As for Re;Birth2? Exact, same, issues. ~_~
« Last Edit: February 26, 2015, 03:57:36 PM by ZeronHitaro » Logged
dagas

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2015, 01:14:00 AM »

A look at Metacritic says 45 for the original and 71 for Re:Birth1. That is a huge leap in quality. You are entitled to your oppinion but doesn't seem like many agree looking at the score.

I cannot say since I never played the first game. I've played about 80% of Victory and 15% of Re:birth1 and I really like Re:birth1 more. However Fiery Fencer is the only game from them that I can say I actually like. It is way ahead of Hyperdimension Neptunia in story.
ZeronHitaro

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2015, 09:47:06 AM »

A look at Metacritic says 45 for the original and 71 for Re:Birth1. That is a huge leap in quality. You are entitled to your oppinion but doesn't seem like many agree looking at the score.

I cannot say since I never played the first game.
Playing the original would greatly help you there. ;-P

Re;birth only is getting praise because:

1) Massive graphical update; in that the original had virtually no graphics to begin with. For example, anything that wasn't a party member or primary antagonist used a greyed out silhouette. No 2D art, no 3D models, for the ENTIRE game.

2) Streamlined combat. Not good combat. Streamlined. Old Neptunia had most people thumbing through menus for days.

Because of that of course the meta scores are going to be substantially higher. Even if the core 'bad' elements of the two games still factually exist. (Some of which having devolved significantly. But you'll never see, in this time period, a moe-blob RPG downvoted in the mainstream sites for horrible story/characters because Japan is 'Mai waifus!!' and America is 'Criticism = Censorship! ...also, mai waifus!'.)
« Last Edit: March 02, 2015, 10:32:17 AM by ZeronHitaro » Logged
Zendervai

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: March 02, 2015, 10:59:56 AM »

Yeah, one of the things considered in a review of a remake is how much it was improved. The original Hyperdimension Neptunia was terrible. It had some fun ideas, but the battle system sucked and it was obviously made on a shoestring budget. As in the entire budget was a shoestring. Re;birth 1 is a massive improvement, but the original game was so lacking in quality that even a massive improvement just pulled it up to "this is not that bad."
Ramza
Enjoying Retirement
Editor Emeritus

TSDPatGann
View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: March 04, 2015, 08:59:50 AM »

So the alternate-dimension canon ... they ARE or ARE NOT remakes? That's what I'm trying to figure out...

Klutz64

Meow Meow Choco-Chow!

RebornThief
View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: March 04, 2015, 09:10:25 AM »

They are remakes, but complete remakes. The overall plot and basic events stay the same but most of the dungeons are completely changed, the mechanics are barely recognizable and most of the script has been completely rewritten.
ZeronHitaro

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: March 04, 2015, 12:25:16 PM »

So the alternate-dimension canon ... they ARE or ARE NOT remakes? That's what I'm trying to figure out...

They are remakes in the mechanical sense but not in the literal.

According to the non-CPU characters you recruit, they recognize Neptune and co. because they've crossed over from a future alternate reality. So the original Neptune games plot is still cannon and separate from the Rebirth canon.

Think of it like the DBZ Cell Saga. Original Neptunia games are the future with the super power andriods, Rebirth Nepunia is weaker versions with Cell cropping up. They're both 'main plot' but now exist as different continuities you can jump between without one effecting the other.
« Last Edit: March 04, 2015, 01:41:15 PM by ZeronHitaro » Logged
Ramza
Enjoying Retirement
Editor Emeritus

TSDPatGann
View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: March 04, 2015, 05:33:38 PM »

ok, the DBZ comparison helped me immensely. I think I get it now. Thank you!

Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: