Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
July 24, 2014, 01:04:20 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz
Next Quiz Date: January 11, 2014
Subject: 999 (Nintendo DS)
For more information click HERE!
327337 Posts in 13403 Topics by 2163 Members
Latest Member: KashelGladio
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Single-Player RPGs
| | |-+  super robot wars topic
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 Print
Author Topic: super robot wars topic  (Read 20463 times)
Aeolus
I'm not evil!

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #135 on: December 25, 2013, 10:52:08 AM »

I never really got why they remove series between games since half the time they just recycle the units/animations and balance has never really been a huge concern in SRW. Always annoyed me when I couldn't plunder the enemy with a team of piratebots in Alpha 3.

A bunch of reasons, namely, stuff like licenses expiring or suddenly becoming prohibitively expensive (Giant Robo being the most infamous case), or because new shows come out between games and thus need to recycle roster space instead of turning the game into an Alpha 3 roster bloat situation.

Additionally it might just not work for the plot in cases of post apocalyptic series like Xabungle, Turn A/X Gundams, or Gurren Lagann when you have shows like Code Geass, the umpteen million other Gundams, and FMP among others running around (unless you want to imagine the Tuatha de Danaan pulling a play out of Xenogears' playbook and become a sand submarine (or would that be referred to as a subterrain, or should we all just agree that sand seas are geological clusterfucks and call it a day?) while the highschool the series takes place in is sitting in the middle of a dome city along with the Britannia Empire and the Federation's base at Jaburo (which is situated in the middle of a dense jungle)(and granted they could be separate dome cities but its still pretty stupid and cumbersome)).

And on that note, so far, I'm digging the new FMP unit animations. This is gonna be a great game.

You've misunderstood me. I just seek your death only because you're in the way of my goal of world conquest. I can't help it that I have evil ambitions and am named Dark Lord. Honest.
kkhohoho

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #136 on: December 27, 2013, 07:49:28 PM »

So, I went to GameFAQs, and asked the nice people over there about 2ndOG for the PS3. See, I'm interested in the game, but I wasn't sure if I should play the other games before playing this one. I'd like to just play this one, but I just wasn't sure. Unfortunately, I didn't get much of an answer. At the least, they just said, 'If you don't want to play the previous games, then don't play them', to... well, the point is, I asked there to get some real advice on just what to do in this situation, and I wasn't getting it, so I'm asking it here. Should I play the previous OG games, or is it alright to just start with this one? I'm just not sure if it's designed for both oldtimers, and people new to the OG subseries. That's what's got me.
« Last Edit: December 29, 2013, 10:04:10 AM by kkhohoho » Logged
kofvscapcom
Rereveagence

kofvscapcom
View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #137 on: December 27, 2013, 08:46:46 PM »

I'd say just start with 2nd OG unless you really care about the plot stuff. I've actually played some of older ones in the series recently and the lack of some of the mechanics annoyed me, 2nd OG's a lot more newb friendly. As for Z3, pretty hype now that we almost certainly get hd bonta kun. Wish they'd put in tekkaman blade and g gundam in a future installment. AGE would've been nice too, mebbe do a rebuild of evangelion once the last movie comes out.

Roses are red, violets are blue. Omae wa mou shindeiru.
Aeolus
I'm not evil!

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #138 on: December 27, 2013, 11:46:51 PM »

So, I went to GameFAQs, and asked the nice people over there about 2ndOG for the PS3. See, I'm interested in the game, but I wasn't sure if I should play those before playing this one. I'd like to just play this one, but I just wasn't sure. Unfortunately, I didn't get much of an answer. At the least, they just said, 'If don't want to play the previous games, then don't play them', to... well, the point is, I asked there to get some real advice on just what to do in this situation, and I wasn't getting it, so I'm asking it here. Should I play the previous OG games, or is it alright to just start with this one? I'm just sure if it's designed for both oldtimers, and people new to the OG subseries. That's what's got me.

It depends. As mentioned before, if you don't mind missing out on earlier plot developments then just skip to OG2nd. That said, the one advantage to playing OG 1 and OG 2 is that they're available in English which makes getting used to the general structure and controls of the games and the series much easier. That said, if you're looking towards playing OG2nd then I might suggest OGS instead since its OG1 and OG2 in one game but with more modern mechanics and much better graphics, and you'll either make due without the plot since its in Japanese or you'll be able to read up on it from the same source. Another alternative is to play one of the other translated SRW games to get a feel for the main series mechanics instead like Alpha Gaiden or J (I would highly recommend avoiding SRW3 or anything earlier as those games are highly antiquated).

You've misunderstood me. I just seek your death only because you're in the way of my goal of world conquest. I can't help it that I have evil ambitions and am named Dark Lord. Honest.
kkhohoho

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #139 on: December 28, 2013, 12:11:00 AM »

So, I went to GameFAQs, and asked the nice people over there about 2ndOG for the PS3. See, I'm interested in the game, but I wasn't sure if I should play those before playing this one. I'd like to just play this one, but I just wasn't sure. Unfortunately, I didn't get much of an answer. At the least, they just said, 'If don't want to play the previous games, then don't play them', to... well, the point is, I asked there to get some real advice on just what to do in this situation, and I wasn't getting it, so I'm asking it here. Should I play the previous OG games, or is it alright to just start with this one? I'm just sure if it's designed for both oldtimers, and people new to the OG subseries. That's what's got me.

It depends. As mentioned before, if you don't mind missing out on earlier plot developments then just skip to OG2nd. That said, the one advantage to playing OG 1 and OG 2 is that they're available in English which makes getting used to the general structure and controls of the games and the series much easier. That said, if you're looking towards playing OG2nd then I might suggest OGS instead since its OG1 and OG2 in one game but with more modern mechanics and much better graphics, and you'll either make due without the plot since its in Japanese or you'll be able to read up on it from the same source. Another alternative is to play one of the other translated SRW games to get a feel for the main series mechanics instead like Alpha Gaiden or J (I would highly recommend avoiding SRW3 or anything earlier as those games are highly antiquated).

I appreciate the advice, but for starters, I do have experience with the series, as I've played Z2. (Well, Hakai-Hen; my PSP got busted beyond repair before I could play Sasai-hen, so I'll probably have to read the storyguide for Sasai-hen before Z3 comes out.:P I have a PS3, so I can play that one.) And I don't have a region-modified PS2, so no OGS for me. Anyway, I think I'll just get the game, but I'm going to look into something either way. I've heard there's an OG anime, one for each of the first two games, and I'll see if those are worth checking out. But to be honest, I'm not that thrilled; I've heard that they were directed by the same guy who Gravion, which I did not like. But I guess I'll just have to see. Either way, thanks for the advice guys. :)
« Last Edit: December 28, 2013, 12:19:09 AM by kkhohoho » Logged
kkhohoho

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #140 on: December 29, 2013, 01:28:25 PM »

So I just got the game (2ndOG) for 30 bucks. It might take a while to get here, but for that price, and for how much mileage I'm likely to get out of it, (I got over 200 hours out of Hakai-Hen, no joke,) I definitely think it'll be worth it. ;) I'm also reading the 'Record of ATX' manga, which is supposed to cover the first game from Kysouke's point of view. I've read the first volume, and it's no masterpiece, but still pretty enjoyable. I'll keep reading and see how it goes. :)
Aeolus
I'm not evil!

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #141 on: February 08, 2014, 04:20:32 AM »

http://www.siliconera.com/2014/02/07/3rd-super-robot-taisen-z-screenshots-show-co-op-attacks-action/

Goddammit Banpresto. You had one of the best squad systems in an SRPG to date with Z1 yet you went with K/L's useless partner system? What the fuck!?

Eh. Maybe it won't suck this time around. I mean, K and L were the epitome of , so it can't be that hard to out do them.

Aeolus
I'm not evil!

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #142 on: February 12, 2014, 02:44:52 AM »

http://gematsu.com/2014/02/3rd-super-robot-wars-z-jigoku-hen-protagonists-detailed

BOOORING!!! Give us multiple protags again instead of some teenage punk in a sudo-real with his bouncy SP battery like you've been doing since L (hell, I'd even take another Ing or Mist at this point just to mix things up).

At least the enlarged Sub Orders along with two man squads is an okay compromise to the cast bloat.

mjrpgfan

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #143 on: February 19, 2014, 06:41:54 PM »

So any hype for Z3 over here? Aeolus doesn't seem impressed. lol

Z1, Z2-1, and Z2-2 are all up on PSN for digital download now. I'm playing through Z ex-hard in preparation for Z3 and recording video.
Hathen

FORUM IDIOT

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #144 on: February 19, 2014, 10:11:21 PM »

Don't care for K's crappy partner system. Hyped for series list. Haven't really cared much about protags for a while, I prefer the customized ones they had back in 4/F/@1.
kofvscapcom
Rereveagence

kofvscapcom
View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #145 on: February 28, 2014, 11:45:22 AM »

pre-ordered it and siliconera just linked to a new trailer https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OGLv6yM6O9U#t=21 . Ambivalent on the max break thing but the sprites are of very differing quality it kinda bothers me. Oh well, it' still a two parter and I'll probably get both.

Roses are red, violets are blue. Omae wa mou shindeiru.
Hathen

FORUM IDIOT

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #146 on: February 28, 2014, 05:22:50 PM »

Maybe its because they've shown so little of it so far, but why are the animations for the Arbelest so horrible? Really hope it looks better than it does right now when they release it.
kkhohoho

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #147 on: March 01, 2014, 06:44:24 PM »

http://gematsu.com/2014/02/3rd-super-robot-wars-z-jigoku-hen-protagonists-detailed

BOOORING!!! Give us multiple protags again instead of some teenage punk in a sudo-real with his bouncy SP battery like you've been doing since L (hell, I'd even take another Ing or Mist at this point just to mix things up).

At least the enlarged Sub Orders along with two man squads is an okay compromise to the cast bloat.

Did you forget Crow? Because I'm pretty sure he's in his twenties... (Along with the male lead of Z1, though I've forgot his name.)
Aeolus
I'm not evil!

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #148 on: April 02, 2014, 10:00:07 AM »

http://www.siliconera.com/2014/04/02/3rd-super-robot-taisen-z-will-downloadable-scenarios/

Yep. Not that this wasn't going to be the case, but now its confirmed that this series will sport DLC now and forever more.

Reta

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #149 on: April 02, 2014, 01:16:19 PM »

This series is starting to interest me, but I have -no- clue which games would be good ones to start with. I got OE for free ("free"?) a while back; would that be an acceptable starting point?
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: