Author Topic: super robot wars topic

Mickeymac92

• RPGFan Survey Hero
    • View Profile
Re: super robot wars topic
« Reply #255 on: March 05, 2017, 11:32:06 AM »
Wait...why would anyone choose Cross Ange over Might Gain? I mean, one of them has giant robot trains. The other has...Cross Ange. It's like picking a half-eaten beagle over an all-expense-paid cross-country trip through the French Country Side. On a Mag-Lev train that also happens to have a great buffet.

“MY NAME IS POKEY THE PENGUIN I LOVE CHESS!! IT IS LIKE BALLET ONLY WITH MORE EXPLOSIONS!”
I Draw Stuff Sometimes

Aeolus

• This is the Monado's Powerbomb!
  • Little did he know, the fall damage would KO him.
    • View Profile
« Reply #256 on: March 05, 2017, 12:36:59 PM »
Wait...why would anyone choose Cross Ange over Might Gain? I mean, one of them has giant robot trains. The other has...Cross Ange. It's like picking a half-eaten beagle over an all-expense-paid cross-country trip through the French Country Side. On a Mag-Lev train that also happens to have a great buffet.

IIRC Might Gain was directed by the same director as Cross Ange, which is neat and all but kinda not really much of a choice since Might Gain is both a Yusha series and aimed at a far less scummy crowd of creeps (then again, one's about trains while the other was a trainwreck, so there is a meta joke present). Meanwhile, Gundam SEED Destiny (and SEED) was also by the same director, was also pretty bad, and CA had a bunch of SEED expies (both shows feature the same protagonist hijacking both shows from both "protagonists", among many other things) the meta jokes run so much deeper (although I suppose that this wouldn't have been much of a choice either given just how into the ground SEED Destiny has been ran in SRW games at this point).

Also, who would be so cruel as to kill and eat Snoopy (and worse, only halfass the job and leave his poor remains for some sick vagrant to also nom on)?
In my vision, I see that one of us is going to KO the other.

Mickeymac92

• RPGFan Survey Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #257 on: March 05, 2017, 01:29:45 PM »
The worst part is, the entire time I was saying, "don't say 'beagle', don't say 'beagle', don't say 'beagle', don't say 'beagle'..."

And then I write 'beagle' without realizing it's wrong...

“MY NAME IS POKEY THE PENGUIN I LOVE CHESS!! IT IS LIKE BALLET ONLY WITH MORE EXPLOSIONS!”
I Draw Stuff Sometimes

kkhohoho

• View Profile
« Reply #258 on: March 05, 2017, 06:24:47 PM »

This is true. But honestly, I just felt that the Cross Ange route was going to be more important to the overall story, and I was also hoping to see SRW use it's Fix Fic magic. And so far, it slowly but surely looks like its' doing so.

bigdeath

• View Profile
« Reply #259 on: March 07, 2017, 05:43:41 PM »
Honestly, I'd pick the cross ange route just because I don't care for super robots much. Trainwreck or no, SRW will make it awesome.
« Last Edit: March 07, 2017, 05:45:24 PM by bigdeath »

kkhohoho

• View Profile
« Reply #260 on: March 07, 2017, 06:36:20 PM »
Honestly, I'd pick the cross ange route just because I don't care for super robots much.

KILL THE FILTHY HERETIC!

(JK)

Mickeymac92

• RPGFan Survey Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #261 on: March 07, 2017, 06:39:12 PM »
Honestly, I'd pick the cross ange route just because I don't care for super robots much. Trainwreck or no, SRW will make it awesome.

...In Super Robot Wars?

...I swear, you could cut the irony with a beam knife...

I Draw Stuff Sometimes

Aeolus

• View Profile
« Reply #262 on: March 07, 2017, 09:09:55 PM »
To be fair, those mech designs were pretty good (and by far and away the best/only redeemable thing about Cross Ange).

kkhohoho

• View Profile
« Reply #263 on: March 07, 2017, 10:30:56 PM »
To be fair, those mech designs were pretty good (and by far and away the best/only redeemable thing about Cross Ange).

I wouldn't say they were the only redeemable thing about Cross Ange. I liked Ange and some of the other characters. The music was pretty kickass. The fights could be pretty darn entertaining. And there were some good moments peppered throughout the series.

And that was about it.

Mickeymac92

• RPGFan Survey Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #264 on: March 07, 2017, 11:07:58 PM »
Quick search brought me a bunch of 00/Seed Astray-level mechs, which is pretty good, but with a few too many random pointy bits that serve no purpose other than to fuck with my eyes when I'm tired. =P

I Draw Stuff Sometimes

Hathen

• View Profile
« Reply #265 on: March 10, 2017, 07:15:54 AM »
we need an srw game that emulates the animation from the good ol days when mechs were given clown colors and the animators clearly didnt give a shit

bigdeath

• View Profile
« Reply #266 on: March 10, 2017, 09:24:46 PM »

...In Super Robot Wars?

...I swear, you could cut the irony with a beam knife...

I know, I know. But I'm all about the real robot shows. I just want me team full of nothing but gundams. lol

Aeolus

• View Profile
« Reply #267 on: March 10, 2017, 09:42:08 PM »
Quick search brought me a bunch of 00/Seed Astray-level mechs, which is pretty good, but with a few too many random pointy bits that serve no purpose other than to fuck with my eyes when I'm tired. =P

Hence why I said 'pretty good' and not 'Grrrreat!'. And 'pretty good' is a fair assessment compared to some of the blockier giant robots out there like Might Gain or Godmars (although Branpresto actually got some good mileage out of the plastic bricks that comprised Godmars).

kkhohoho

• View Profile
« Reply #268 on: March 11, 2017, 12:05:20 AM »

Hence why I said 'pretty good' and not 'Grrrreat!'. And 'pretty good' is a fair assessment compared to some of the blockier giant robots out there like Might Gain or Godmars (although Branpresto actually got some good mileage out of the plastic bricks that comprised Godmars).

You know, I get that most giant robots are at least in part made to sell toys, but Godmars is one of the only ones I've seen that looks like an actual honest to God toy. It's like it was a children's plaything designed strictly to be sold on shelves across Japan everywhere, and then somehow blown up into the behemoth we know it as. Say what you will about Gundam, (I WANT TO SELL THIS GUNDAM) but at least the mechs look like they could possibly be somewhat feasible. Whereas Godmars might as well be an action figure come to life.

The only one I've seen come close was God Sigma. Hell, thanks to Z2's Two Earths setup, my headcanon was that it was an Earth 1/Earth 2 deal, with Godmars being the newer more refined version (one pilot, robot made by space aliens,) and Sigma being the older 'original' version. (Three pilots, robot made by human hands.) Nevermind that both of their sets of attacks had intentionally crappy animations. When you think about it, it makes a strange kind of sense.

Aeolus

• View Profile
« Reply #269 on: March 11, 2017, 12:58:26 AM »

You know, I get that most giant robots are at least in part made to sell toys, but Godmars is one of the only ones I've seen that looks like an actual honest to God toy. It's like it was a children's plaything designed strictly to be sold on shelves across Japan everywhere, and then somehow blown up into the behemoth we know it as. Say what you will about Gundam, (I WANT TO SELL THIS GUNDAM) but at least the mechs look like they could possibly be somewhat feasible. Whereas Godmars might as well be an action figure come to life.

The only one I've seen come close was God Sigma. Hell, thanks to Z2's Two Earths setup, my headcanon was that it was an Earth 1/Earth 2 deal, with Godmars being the newer more refined version (one pilot, robot made by space aliens,) and Sigma being the older 'original' version. (Three pilots, robot made by human hands.) Nevermind that both of their sets of attacks had intentionally crappy animations. When you think about it, it makes a strange kind of sense.

(not from either Godmars nor Godsigma)