Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
August 30, 2014, 04:24:53 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz
Next Quiz Date: January 11, 2014
Subject: 999 (Nintendo DS)
For more information click HERE!
329976 Posts in 13522 Topics by 2179 Members
Latest Member: Lian_Kazairl
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Miscellaneous Games
| | |-+  Best action adventures of this gen?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Best action adventures of this gen?  (Read 2153 times)
Champlooz

View Profile

Ignore
« on: May 20, 2011, 03:58:40 PM »

So, I'm looking for good action adventures for my ps3 or 360. There should be a good story in them, not just pure action. Can also be first/third person shooters, if theyre good.

I loved: Uncharted 1 and 2, MGS 4.
I liked: GoW3, DMC4.
Meh: Bayonetta, Vanquish, Heavenly Sword.

Wouldn't it be cool if there was a remake of lets say Terranigma or Secret of Evermore with HD graphics and modern gameplay?
CDFN

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2011, 04:25:28 PM »

Castlevania: Lords of Shadow is the game you're looking for. Get the PS3 version, better frame-rate.

Currently playing: Uncharted 3, Dark Souls, Team ICO Collection, Atelier Totori, Child of eden.
Yggdrasil

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2011, 05:19:45 PM »

Keep an eye on El Shaddai and Shadows of the Damned.

Your "meh" regarding Vanquish and Bayonetta though, makes me hates you. But whatever, at this point I can't convice people that Bayonetta is ten times better than God of War III seeing the "big deal" that God of War is in the west.

Hell, I see adults in the streets from time to time wearing shirts of the series. Can't you imagine my sad and facepalm face when I see that?

But anyway ...at least play Vanquish man, you don't like good awesome games or what? :(
Champlooz

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2011, 05:48:13 PM »

I liked the gameplay of Vanquish quite a lot, but the setting was boring and all the levels looked the same. Story was shit too. I dropped Bayonetta after around 5 hours and then never picked it up again, perhaps I should give it another try.

And no, I cannot imagine your face when you see people wearing GoW shirts. Game's awesome.
Yggdrasil

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: May 20, 2011, 05:58:10 PM »

The fact the you expect a good story from a Third-Person Action game makes no sense, but anyway, to each their own.

And no, I cannot imagine your face when you see people wearing GoW shirts. Game's awesome.

...yeah, too bad I can't have fun with a shitload of QTEs.
CDFN

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: May 20, 2011, 06:44:57 PM »

The fact the you expect a good story from a Third-Person Action game makes no sense, but anyway, to each their own.

...yeah, too bad I can't have fun with a shitload of QTEs.

Because that's all you do in the game, obviously.

Currently playing: Uncharted 3, Dark Souls, Team ICO Collection, Atelier Totori, Child of eden.
DPB

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: May 20, 2011, 06:59:00 PM »

You should definitely play Batman Arkham Asylum if you haven't already, one of my favourite games in the last few years.
CDFN

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: May 20, 2011, 07:35:37 PM »

You should definitely play Batman Arkham Asylum if you haven't already, one of my favourite games in the last few years.

Excellent suggestion! You seem to be into more linear games, try something with a sandbox approach like red dead redemption or infamous.

Yggdrasil

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: May 20, 2011, 10:13:58 PM »

Because that's all you do in the game, obviously.

I've never said anything about that's the only thing you do in the game. Either way, nobody is going to enjoy the God of War games less with me not appreciating what the damn thing is or does as an action game.

The point is, that for me is a "dumn action game" and for many others is the best thing ever. Granted, the God of War games have potential but they never reach a point of satisfaction with his mechanics that other games in the genre have done better before and even after of every game in the series.

And that's that, I guess.
Esper_Crusader

I love you, Dr. Zaius

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: May 20, 2011, 10:29:36 PM »

Bayonetta hands down..  The story is absolutely absurd but the gameplay is unmatched.  It's just pure fun.  Get the 360 version if possible though. It's vastly superior.

Currently playing: .

-----------------------------------
"If I can't smoke and swear, I'm F**ked." ~ Ricky
GrimReality
Dark Lord of Nostalgia

OK, options aren't SO bad

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: May 20, 2011, 11:21:02 PM »

Whats with the God of War hate? The games are extremely entertaining and fun. That's all I can ask for.
I agree with CD on Lords of Shadow. I really liked that game.
I DLed the demo of vanquish and found it to be pretty cool, but quite difficult. I'd have to play more to get a full opinion.
Bayonetta was fun for awhile then just started getting so repetitive, Plus, the ridiculousness did actually start to get to me after awhile. I'm sure more skilled players can appreciate the game more on the higher difficulty settings.
Have you tried Darksiders? Pretty basic adventure type game that's not that great in anything specific, but is pretty damn good as a whole. I enjoyed it.
Arkham Asylum is on my list of "games to play"

Playing:
Reading: Mistborn by Brandon Sanderson
Maxximum
Not quite over gaming

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: May 21, 2011, 04:33:25 PM »

Ratchet and Clank, great gameplay and, as long as you don't mind a game not taking itself too seriously, a fun story.

NOW PLAYING:
Hearthstone: I don't like card games, and yet I enjoy this.
Chaos on Deponia: Beat the first one, went straight for the second one, that says a lot.
F.E.A.R. 3 Feels rushed, but it's not bad
Aeolus
This is the Monado's Powerbomb!

Little did he know, the fall damage would KO him.

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: May 22, 2011, 01:48:50 AM »

11 replies and not one mention of Nier? Shame on all of you.

Anyway, that's my suggestion. Excellent story, great music, good voice acting, and serviceable if decent gameplay. The only things I would suggest you watch out for are that the game loves to troll achievement hunters, and some side-quests are just not worth doing. Also the attract trailer spoilers a lot (to the point where footage from even the second to last ending in the game is shown in it). In fact it's kinda really hard to look anything up on it because everyone and their brother loves to go on about the biggest surprises of this game.

It's on the PS360 and is super cheap to get (about in the $20 range), although the FPS portion of the game is on the DLC. But seriously, it's totally worth it, trust me on this one. If you loved Terranigma then you'll love this one too.

In my vision, I see that one of us is going to KO the other.
Maxximum
Not quite over gaming

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: May 22, 2011, 06:45:58 AM »

If first person shooters qualify then Borderlands deserves a mention as well.

NOW PLAYING:
Hearthstone: I don't like card games, and yet I enjoy this.
Chaos on Deponia: Beat the first one, went straight for the second one, that says a lot.
F.E.A.R. 3 Feels rushed, but it's not bad
insertnamehere

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: May 22, 2011, 10:53:05 PM »

Blops
I'm joking, but you should definitely play nier.

come get high with me
ba dum tissssss
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: