Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
August 02, 2014, 02:30:20 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz
Next Quiz Date: January 11, 2014
Subject: 999 (Nintendo DS)
For more information click HERE!
328020 Posts in 13432 Topics by 2169 Members
Latest Member: KopeAcetic
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  The Rest
| |-+  The Helper Monkey
| | |-+  Computer speakers, bitches.
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Computer speakers, bitches.  (Read 1165 times)
D-Rider
Former God of RPGFan
Rainbow Club Member

Solitary One

ChlamydiaBlues
View Profile

Ignore
« on: May 17, 2011, 12:33:48 PM »

As I was dusting the cobwebs off of my old home stereo system this morning, I couldn't help but realize that I don't ever use the fucking thing anymore.  My music listening takes place either on my iPod or my computer.  If I buy a cd, my first act is to rip the thing and shove the mp3s onto my external hard drive.

That got me to thinking.  Pretty much all the gaming I do these days is done on my computer.  Pretty much all the music listening I do these days is done on my computer.  All my recording is done on my computer.  If I'm gonna spend that much time on my computer doing things involving sound, I should really get something a little better than these scratchy sounding $10 pieces of Hewlett Packard shit.  It's time to upgrade.

I have absolutely no clue what brands I should be looking for.  That's completely outside my sphere of knowledge; I can talk guitar amps and PA systems all fucking day, but not computer speakers or home sound systems in general.  I don't know a decent price is for a decent set of speakers, and I wouldn't know if I were getting ripped off or getting a bargain.

Share a little knowledge, baby.  Let's talk basics:  how much can I expect to spend for a good computer sound system with a decent bass sound and a wattage of, oh, 100 watts or so?  And what brands offer the most bang for their buck?

Thanks. :P

Annubis

Something something like a tiger

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2011, 12:52:06 PM »

I once bought great 5:1 speakers made in Germany from a renowned company. They sounded really nice and exploded after 2 years and 1 week (warranty was 2 years)
I then bought cheap ass 20$ speakers (2 speaker + subwoofer) at Future Shop and they sound pretty good and have been working for 5 years without any depolarization or noise.
Perhaps it was bad luck, but can't blame me for not wanting to fork over 600$ for speakers anymore.
Lucca
AMG A GIRL

SUGAR PEAS!

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2011, 09:23:46 PM »

Bose makes great computer speakers (I have their cheapest and they're perfect for my needs), but they're freaking expensive, cuz, lol, Bose.

I've heard some good things about Logitech as well. How much are you willing to spend?

D-Rider
Former God of RPGFan
Rainbow Club Member

Solitary One

ChlamydiaBlues
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2011, 09:54:03 PM »

Money is no object when it comes to me and my music. :P

Azrael

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: May 22, 2011, 01:05:13 PM »

See thing is it's so easy today to hook your computer up to ANY sound system. So the question I have for you is, is your home sound system near your computer, or easy to move near your computer, and good enough that you'd be happy using that for sound on your computer? Or are you pretty set on going out and buying a new setup for your computer.

I myself have a pretty old Fisher home theater system that I hooked up to my computer and I have been extremely happy with the quality of sound which is far better than anything I would've gotten for my computer at the same price.
Fei

!?

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: May 23, 2011, 12:11:22 AM »

How is it easy to hook your computer to your sound system?  My soundcard has 3 or 4 colored outputs that connect to my PC speakers, which have pretty unique looking inputs on them as well. 

My entertainment sound system has optical in (used by PS3) and, as well as coax in (for cable TV audio), and some iPod hookup, among others... nothing that would receive multiple inputs from a single source, in this case, the multicolored output from my soundcard.

I'm kinda in D-Rider's boat, as I've had these PC speakers for close to ten years, and wouldn't mind using my Sony surround system instead.

If you re-spec your elduhz and own a Vita - http://twitter.com/BSNursery
Azrael

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: May 23, 2011, 09:42:55 AM »

Take a trip to radioshack and you'll see that there are so many freaking adapters for different types of sound inputs/outputs. Not that I'd buy them there, but if you check it out you'll see you can do a lot to get the sound through the system. You should also check each port to see what the purpose of each one is. I don't think all of them are outputting sound (I'd guess two of them are probably some kind of input) and you wouldn't need to connect it to your surround sound system. I've done this kind of thing with two different home theater systems and on 3 different laptops and one desktop. Anyway, check out your ports, see what they do and go from there. One is probably a line out that you could buy an adapter to convert to another output like the red/white component cables, etc. (and these adapters are dirt cheap, like $2-3). For surround sound it would be a bit trickier but (in my experience anyway) many sound cards are cable of surround sound through a single line out source (but I also did very little on my computer that was actually in surround sound so it wasn't a big deal for me).

Anyway, I was just throwing that out as an option because I do know it's possible as I have done it (and really still do).
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: