Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
September 02, 2014, 06:07:57 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz
Next Quiz Date: January 11, 2014
Subject: 999 (Nintendo DS)
For more information click HERE!
330153 Posts in 13528 Topics by 2179 Members
Latest Member: Lian_Kazairl
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Multiplayer RPGs
| | |-+  Hunted: The Demon's Forge
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 Print
Author Topic: Hunted: The Demon's Forge  (Read 4149 times)
Fei

!?

View Profile

Ignore
« on: May 30, 2011, 04:39:26 PM »

Anyone buying this tomorrow?  I am.  I don't like cover shooters, but if the game delivers on its other promises (of being an RPG) it should be really good.

I'll be on PSN of course, and while I'm not sure how co-op will work (will one player bring one of their characters into your world, or do you have to play as one of the host's characters?) I wouldn't mind co-opping with someone, as my personal friends fail me on most levels.

Where's the Bethesda jizz at, it's a Bethesda game.

http://www.gametrailers.com/video/launch-trailer-hunted-the/714273

If you re-spec your elduhz and own a Vita - http://twitter.com/BSNursery
Esper_Crusader

I love you, Dr. Zaius

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: May 30, 2011, 08:44:16 PM »

Ehhhh.  If it gets half-decent reviews then maybe but the gameplay footage looks kind of bland to me.  Most enemies were being dropped with one shot from the bow and the melee looked pretty basic too from what I saw.  I really want it to be a good game though.  My fingers are crossed.

Currently playing: .

-----------------------------------
"If I can't smoke and swear, I'm F**ked." ~ Ricky
Yoda
Son of Dad

Darkness is Void; Juffo-Wup is light

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2011, 10:22:39 PM »

If my friend will play this w/ me I'm getting it. Will wait for a sale/deal though
Agent D.

"Mage"nt D.

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: May 30, 2011, 11:13:44 PM »

have this on my gameq from gamefly,, but there release list says the 14th iirc. It looks cool, and I wasn't aware of online multiplayer. I'll gladly rock with anyone interested, PSN is AgentDv1.

TASTY!
Fei

!?

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: June 01, 2011, 03:41:16 AM »

The game is great fun.  It's got that Dead Space compass, so you never get lost, but there is always somewhere else to go for more gold and stuff.

I play as the female almost exclusively, because I think the shooter gameplay is more fun than the melee (both characters can shoot or melee, but the male character's crossbows are always slower).  Even though I am opposed to cover shooters from a philosophical standpoint, it's a ton of fun here.

The RPG elements are implemented a bit differently.  There are no experience points, but tons of meters and bars, counters to fill.  Imagine if your achievements in any other game were how you expanded your HP and ammo capacity... that's pretty much how it is here.  For example, killing 250 enemies with a bow will increase your arrow capacity.  Besides that, it is like Zelda in that there are a pre-determined number of upgrade items located throughout the whole game (in this case, it would be magic items that grant talent points).  There is new game+ according to the manual, so I am sure that is when people will be exploring the most (I lost 45 minutes worth of exploration because I didn't make it to the next checkpoint, which really pissed me off.  It was the first time I wished I could save anywhere, since I had upgraded my revival capabilities by being brought back from near death 2 or 3 times during that period, which fulfilled a requirement.  It's not easy to do that on purpose)

The story presentation uses cool hooks and the characters are very likable, and there is a constant sense of immersion.  Not sure if the the plot content is going to amount to anything, but the immersion is there, so it is successful.

E'Lara (the elf chick) is pretty hot, and has a distracting ass.  Buttcheek curvature is barely visible when she runs, allowing the maximum viewing area without requiring the nudity tag from ESRB.

It turns out that they added a split-screen 2-player mode as well. 

I can't redeem my Gamestop preorder bonus because the Playstation Store is down.

It's really addicting. 

I like this game.  Without a real inventory system or levels, I don't know if it will outlive it's actual gameplay, but it's really fun right now.

Klyde Chroma
Pool of Thorns Groupie

If Hitler was an introvert, he'd be me.

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: June 03, 2011, 01:28:44 AM »

Fei, my man, I wish I could share your enthusiasm but I have to say.... This game totally sucks in my book.

Admittingly, I have particular tastes and tend to be picky about alot of things but conversely I can typically find something I like about any sword and sorcery themed title.... that unfortunately is not the case here.... I loathe the generic art style but on an entirely different graphical note the visuals look way outdated to me. Not that visuals really matter to me all that much but hey, if I can't stand the gameplay, nor the characters plus the story seems pretty weak it better at least look appealing.... And if it doesn't qualify still then at least engage my brain with some ample strategy and customization......

But none-the-less, I can see how some could enjoy this title if they are a heavy western rpg/action nut..... Otherwise, for your more traditional RPGFan I can't see how this one can please.

NOTE: You know a game is bad when you go back to your local gamestore and they refund you for a title, even when you don't have the receipt, based on the fact that they all returned their copies as well.... True story.... All the guys at my local gamestop literally felt bad for those who lost 60 bucks on this one.... LoL

Klyde Chroma / XBox Live Network
Triscal-Goddess / PSN
 Remember, DON'T do drugs... an owl will tear your face off.
Esper_Crusader

I love you, Dr. Zaius

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: June 03, 2011, 07:39:09 AM »

I bought this one out of sheer curiosity and it really reminds me of RE5 in the way that it's much more enjoyable playing with another person.  Single player can be frustrating because whenever enemies appear, your friend(Caddoc) fucks off into the fray immediately leaving you holding the bag. You have to protect the guy ALL the time. It is weirdly addictive though..

Currently playing: .

-----------------------------------
"If I can't smoke and swear, I'm F**ked." ~ Ricky
Fei

!?

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: June 04, 2011, 11:26:18 AM »

This review is pretty good http://reviews.cnet.com/xbox-360-games/hunted-the-demon-s/4505-11457_7-34008451.html?part=cnet&subj=Hunted%253A+The+Demon's+Forge+(Xbox+360)

The reviews are saying that the game is fun, but since they have to be objective, they comment on the numerous minor issues and end up assigning a mediocre score.

I would also add that I read a complaint about why you have to press circle to pick up gold, while everything else is automatically picked up when you walk over it.  I can only assume that it is so that you can let your partner obtain the gold instead of you accidentally taking it.
« Last Edit: June 04, 2011, 05:53:54 PM by Fei » Logged

John
Administrator

DeceptiJohn
View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #8 on: June 05, 2011, 04:43:27 PM »

I'm not so hot on this.  It doesn't feel like an RPG at all (We're not covering it here).  The gameplay is relatively fun, though it seems like every 5 minutes or so, I can't fire my bow for some reason and I have to swap weapons.

THROW PICKLE IN BURGER TO SPEED UP COMMERCIAL
Fei

!?

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: June 05, 2011, 06:35:22 PM »

The fire button is also used to pull your bow out, so you have to push it twice.  Should have just let R2 fire the arrow, skipping the animation of her pulling it out...

I agree that it doesn't feel like an RPG.  They intentionally blurred that line, so I wonder if some people see it from an achievement hunting standpoint (not RPG) or see it as "if I kill enough wargar I'll level up (unlock the hp/mp bonuses, kind of RPG like).

Looks like it's going to hell, which is too bad.  I want to say that it has Hellgate syndrome, in that excellent ideas were implemented choppily.  I think I have indie eyes... I focus more on how good the ideas are, and what the potential is rather than what the quality of the final product is.

I wonder if a 2v2 deathmatch mode would have been fun. 

*fart*

John
Administrator

DeceptiJohn
View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #10 on: June 05, 2011, 07:24:55 PM »

The fire button is also used to pull your bow out, so you have to push it twice.  Should have just let R2 fire the arrow, skipping the animation of her pulling it out...

I'm actually running into a bug where I have my bow and I'm aiming down the sights, I pull the trigger and the bow does nothing. 

Fei

!?

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: June 06, 2011, 01:34:26 AM »

Yeah, you win... I just got caught in a loop where I was dropping down from a cliff, and kept reappearing back on it... I couldn't move, and had to quit.

Yoda
Son of Dad

Darkness is Void; Juffo-Wup is light

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: June 06, 2011, 09:08:09 AM »

I'm bummed at the reviews and comments here, was expecting a decent game.

When it gets around 20 I'll see if my friend wants to check it out w/ me.
John
Administrator

DeceptiJohn
View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #13 on: June 06, 2011, 10:34:02 AM »

I find that it's a much better shooter than it is a melee game.  I played as the dude for all of like five minutes before I decided I was just going to use the bow girl full-time.  It's not bad for what it is, but what it is isn't much.

Uru

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: June 09, 2011, 08:29:06 AM »

Fei, how is the music in your opinion?
Pages: [1] 2 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: