Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 20, 2014, 10:16:11 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz
Next Quiz Date: January 11, 2014
Subject: 999 (Nintendo DS)
For more information click HERE!
319283 Posts in 13036 Topics by 2145 Members
Latest Member: aew0
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Single-Player RPGs
| | |-+  Tales Series
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6 Print
Author Topic: Tales Series  (Read 5122 times)
Yoda
Sexton Hardcastle

Darkness is Void; Juffo-Wup is light

a+dark+eclipse
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: June 01, 2011, 04:58:24 PM »

Never played any, save for a Vesperia demo. I like the visual styles for the most part, but this is one of those series where if you don't know much about it it can seem over-whelming. I do like reading about all the opinions though.

Alisha

Z0eila@hotmail.com Z0eila
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: June 01, 2011, 05:17:43 PM »

i wish i could understand why vesperia is so...... love it or hate it.

“Normal is not something to aspire to, it's something to get away from.”
Kevadu

Some guy

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: June 01, 2011, 05:34:28 PM »

The only Tales games I've really played in any depth are Symphonia and Vesperia (which I played entirely in Japanese, PS3 version).  I liked them, though.  I don't know why exactly but the series went under my radar for a long time.  Lately I've had a lot more interest in it.  Looking forward to getting Graces F eventually...maybe I'll do the import thing again with Xillia in the mean time since it seems like that will be out first...

Mym

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: June 01, 2011, 05:58:12 PM »

I wasn't hugely fond of Vesperia either. I enjoyed it well enough while I was playing it, but I finished it last year and already I struggle to remember much about it except that it was really pretty, that I liked the opening song by Bonnie Pink, and that I was more than a little bit in love with the admittedly fantastic Yuri. <3 It didn't really help that it did almost nothing to distinguish itself gameplay-wise from Abyss, which I had already put some sixty hours into. Of course anyone familiar with the series could tell you that they're all rather similar, but Vesperia, in particular, just felt like an ever-so-slightly polished copy-paste of Abyss from a gameplay perspective. I'd never dream of calling it a bad game, but it's definitely one of my least favourites of the Tales games I've played.
Bytor
Ego Enhancement Consultant

Hiding in Inaba

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: June 01, 2011, 07:50:17 PM »

Finished Abyss and I loved it, of course I think Jade had an awful lot to do with that, messed around with Legendia briefly but got side tracked, never played any of the others at all to be honest. But I do want to try Symphonia, just gotta get my hands on a copy at a decent price.

Everything's Eventual
Dice
Super Happy Fun Super Girl
AMG A GIRL

Tawdry Hepburn

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: June 02, 2011, 12:40:46 AM »

i wish i could understand why vesperia is so...... love it or hate it.

The plot was absolute trash and the gameplay added little.  THe music was laregely forgettable.  But the cast is decent and it's a true HD-JRPG, and a successful one at that, on current gen hardware.

http://society6.com/Dice963
Support your local Dice (and pitch her ideas)!
Prime Mover

All's fair in love, war, and the recording studio

Shattre
View Profile WWW Email

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: June 02, 2011, 04:33:11 AM »

I've played Symphonia, Abyss, and Vesparia (in that order).

By in large, Abyss is the best, hands down. Best cast, great voice-acting, fun writing, interesting dungeons, some cool plot twists (some not so good). Unfortunately, fairly bland graphics, longish load times, and probably Sakuraba's most boring soundtrack. However, the cast completely wins out. The game is just FUN. I thought the battle system had the best balance of complexity without being aggravating.

Symphonia has the best dungeons and puzzles, a memorable graphical style, especially great for the GameCube generation. Some great characters, but unfortunately marred by some terrible ones, and some bland dialog (though some great stuff too).

Vesparia is far and away the worst, though. The dungeons, while pretty, aren't fun. Except for the main character and Judy, the rest of the cast ranges from "annoying" to OMFG STFU! Too bad, because it's got a really strong male lead with some interesting personality. But I found the game too damaged to enjoy. Most of the dialog is crap, the story is uninteresting, the battle system is way too random and complex to be fun, and the female lead gets herself on the list of worst female characters in RPGs (if I remember correctly). Honestly, the graphics didn't blow me away either. Some moments do, sure, but at other times, they boosted the contrast so high that it's very difficult to see anything in shadow. The "pretty" graphics just aren't worth the price of everything else. Play Abyss.

eelhouse.net
- order the new album

Currently Playing: Metroid Prime 2, Trails in the Sky, Bioshock: Infinite
Currently Listening to: Devin Townsend, Dream Theater
Watching: Star Trek: TOS, Slayers, Doctor Who (as usual)
Annubis
Image is from Magical Diary. It's the Deus Ex of VN/Dating sim

Voted most likely to become an evil dictator

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: June 02, 2011, 09:48:04 AM »

Is Estelle really that annoying to everyone?
Ashton
Contributing Editor

Lawful Asshole

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: June 02, 2011, 10:00:14 AM »

I thought she was fine. Book smart but naive to the point of idiocy.

Tridius

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #24 on: June 02, 2011, 12:32:14 PM »

Well for me the only tales games i've playes was Destiny and Enternia. Though i prefer Enternia more considering the battle system was a lot more easier to get into considering it was quite fun to do combos with your party members especially starting the game on hard mode. (I've beat the game in normal) But it was more sastifying playing the game on harder difficulty considering at least there was a good challenge and not the balanced normal difficulty.
dalucifer0
시발놈

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #25 on: June 02, 2011, 12:32:57 PM »

Estelle is my most hated JRPG character ever.
Chronix112
Yasunori Mitsuda / Genso Suikoden fanboi

The Pessimistic One

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #26 on: June 02, 2011, 01:40:25 PM »

I hated Estelle's healing AI more then the character. I made  big rant about it in some thread on the board.   Vesperia's plot is horribly bland, almost all the enjoyment of the game comes from whether you like the characters or not.
I do agree that Tales of the Abyss is by far the best overall Tales game. Tales of Destiny is second for me.
Mickeymac92

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #27 on: June 02, 2011, 01:50:07 PM »

I liked Estelle a lot, actually. Then again, I liked all the characters in ToV.

Anyways, I just started Tales of Destiny. I only spent an hour on it, but so far my First impressions were quite positive. The gameplay has been much better - it's faster, easier to strike aerial enemies, and you can guard against attacks. The game also starts off on a more light-hearted tone than Tales of Phantasia, which is always a good thing. I'm really looking forward to playing more of it.

http://myanimelist.net/profile/mickeymac92

“MY NAME IS POKEY THE PENGUIN I LOVE CHESS!! IT IS LIKE BALLET ONLY WITH MORE EXPLOSIONS!”
dalucifer0
시발놈

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #28 on: June 02, 2011, 05:42:10 PM »

tr-Ace made Phantasia, which is why it sucks so fucking much.
Mickeymac92

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #29 on: June 02, 2011, 05:49:45 PM »

I wouldn't say it sucked all together, but the gameplay sure did. Everything else was pretty good, IMO. Too bad Tri-Aces only seemed to have taken the gameplay designers with them when they left. Actually I don't know who they took with them, I'm just taking a shot in the dark.
« Last Edit: June 02, 2011, 05:51:19 PM by Mickeymac92 » Logged

http://myanimelist.net/profile/mickeymac92

“MY NAME IS POKEY THE PENGUIN I LOVE CHESS!! IT IS LIKE BALLET ONLY WITH MORE EXPLOSIONS!”
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: