Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 21, 2014, 08:17:30 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz!
Persona 3 FES Quiz is now OVER!
Winner was user: Monsoon!
334522 Posts in 13704 Topics by 2200 Members
Latest Member: Rgeneb1
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Single-Player RPGs
| | |-+  Tales Series
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6 Print
Author Topic: Tales Series  (Read 5386 times)
Mickeymac92

View Profile

Ignore
« on: May 31, 2011, 09:32:28 PM »

Thought I'd start a discussion thread for the Tales series.

My first Tales of game was Tales of Symphonia, as I'm sure it was for many of you. I recall greatly enjoying my time with it, even though I did tire of it about a third of the way in. Since then I've played bits of any Tales of game I could get my hands on.

Lately I've been attempting a Pincer Strike of the American releases in the series, starting with Tales of Phantasia and Tales of Vesperia, and ending with Tales of Symphonia smack-dab in the middle, right where it all began with me. Hopefully I'll have the motivation to see this through.

Unfortunately, I've already hit a little snag - As it turns out, Tales of Phantasia hasn't aged as well as I remember. The story is still pleasant, the graphics are still beautiful, and the music is still brilliant. However, the gameplay is rather rough and I'm frequently annoyed with it's excecution (difficulty attacking aerial enemies, confusing dungeons, random encounters, occasional lack of information). The battle system is especially frustrating to deal with since I've played later and more refined entries in the series. I'll try to pull through, but there is a chance that I may abandon it in the end.

Tales of Vesperia, on the other hand, has been going quite well. I even got my brother involved with it, and we're both thoroughly enjoying it. In fact, I'm almost done with it, and it will soon be the first Non-Pokemon game that I've been motivated to play through without break since Final Fantasy XIII over a year ago.

Sorry for the Blog-like post. I guess I got a little carried away. I'll leave things off with two questions for all of you:

1) What "Tales of" games have you played?

2) What did you like and dislike about them?

http://myanimelist.net/profile/mickeymac92

“MY NAME IS POKEY THE PENGUIN I LOVE CHESS!! IT IS LIKE BALLET ONLY WITH MORE EXPLOSIONS!”
Commander Jubby Shepard
What do you call a kid with no arms and an eye patch? Names.

If you come back you will find me a very grave man

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2011, 09:35:53 PM »

I've played Tales of Phantasia and that's it. I'm still at the very beginning though. It's fun, and I really don't mind some of the snags of its aging, except the Running. Why are there more random encounters when you run?

I will be getting Tales of the Abyss for 3DS and I'm hoping to get Tales of Vesperia very soon. As for all the other Tales games, they're pretty much in limbo on my playing list.

If it'll hold Jello, Utah will put Jello in it.
FlamingR1ft
RPGFan Editor

View Profile Email
« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2011, 09:54:47 PM »

Symphonia was my first too. I believe I've played them all except for Graces, Abyss and Legendia.

I'm particularly fond of Hearts and Symphonia, but I am really enjoying Vesperia too. I agree about Phantasia not aging all that well though. If you want a more modern take on similar gameplay, try Hearts. Well, assuming you don't mind importing. :P

Commander Jubby Shepard
What do you call a kid with no arms and an eye patch? Names.

If you come back you will find me a very grave man

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2011, 09:56:28 PM »

Symphonia was my first too. I believe I've played them all except for Graces, Abyss and Legendia.

I'm particularly fond of Hearts and Symphonia, but I am really enjoying Vesperia too. I agree about Phantasia not aging all that well though. If you want a more modern take on similar gameplay, try Hearts. Well, assuming you don't mind importing. :P

Or "legally obtaining" a fan translation. Whatever floats your boat.

If it'll hold Jello, Utah will put Jello in it.
Mym

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: May 31, 2011, 10:33:56 PM »

I'm not a massive fan of the series, but when I think back on it I've actually played and finished most of them. I think it's down to a mixture of most of the games being really easy to find for quite cheap in any Japanese bargain bin, and them usually being a safe bet to provide a fun forty to sixty hours of gameplay between titles I care more about. I'd be hard pressed to call many of the games in the series fantastic, but a few misfires aside it's got a pretty good track record with me for providing fun (if rather forgettable) titles year after year.

Off the top of my head, I've finished Phantasia, Destiny, Phantasia PS1, Eternia, Destiny II, Symphonia PS2, Rebirth, Legendia, Abyss, Destiny PS2 and Vesperia PS3. The ones that have stuck with me most have probably been Destiny II, Destiny PS2 and Abyss. The first because it was a cute, adventurous throwback to a setting and cast of characters I was very fond of during the Playstation era, the second because it's just an all around fantastic remake, with some spectacular 2D spritework and what is by far the best gameplay in the series in my mind, and the last because in spite of my usual indifference to the stories the series spins, I actually found myself getting really caught up in the struggles of Luke and his companions, and was eager to see what would happen next to the very last moment. It was total soap opera stuff, sure, but it was compelling, in its own way. :'D

About the only one I really didn't enjoy was Legendia. Though I'd offer sparse praise to some of the character quests, and I absolutely swooned over the wonderful soundtrack, which for me was far, far beyond any of Sakuraba's work on the series.
Federax

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: May 31, 2011, 10:41:16 PM »

My first Tales game was Destiny on PSX.  Played it when it came out and it was pretty revolutionary at that time.  Battle system was awesome and unique, characters were great and the quest was rather long.  Then I played Destiny II (Eternia) and I thought it was even better than Destiny in all aspects of the game.  Then came Symphonia.  Again, great game but not a fan of the graphics.  After that, I played Phantasia on the GBA and did not like it due to the things Mickeymac already said before.  This version of the game hasn't aged well.  The battles were very slow to me, which, I thought, hinders the gameplay a lot.  Many years later, I played Legendia and was kinda surprised by it.  This games seems to be the black sheep of the series but I thought it was great, well at least half of it.  Awesome music and characters.  The main quest, which represent 50% of the game, is entertaining.  However, the characters quests which takes place after the main quest were rather long and boring with to much backtracking and uninteresting conversations.  Now I need to play Abyss, but I have other games I want to play before at home...       
dalucifer0
시발놈

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: May 31, 2011, 11:42:32 PM »

My first was Tales of Symphonia.

I've beaten Symphonia, Legendia, Abyss, and Vesperia.

Played some of Phantasia and I'm currently playing Graces F.

What I like about these games: fun battle system, generally likeable characters.

What I dislike: backgrounds are usually fugly, the AI in Vesperia, Legendia's extremely high encounter rate, etc.
Dice
Super Happy Fun Super Girl
AMG A GIRL

Tawdry Hepburn

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: June 01, 2011, 01:38:19 AM »

I actually found the backgrounds was one thing Tales games did right...since it certainly wasn't the character graphics (3D especially... have you ever played a more stoic-ly animated game than Symphonia?  Every time someone talks, they usually wave their hand about and move some poorly drawn mouth that looks neither happy nor unhappy).

http://society6.com/Dice963
http://www.redbubble.com/people/dice9633

Support your local Dice (and pitch her ideas)!
msg
Übermensch

View Profile WWW Email

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: June 01, 2011, 01:53:41 AM »

Ive played them all and I like Phantasia best, the playstation version I should add.

Alisha

Z0eila@hotmail.com Z0eila
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: June 01, 2011, 02:42:49 AM »

tales games i've played:
tales of symphonia
tales of symphonia dawn of the new world
tales of eternia
tales of the abyss
tales of vesperia
tales of the world 3 naikiri dungeon
tales of the world radiant mythology 1-3
tales of VS

of those tales of vesperia is easily the worst. well maybe phantasia is worse but vesperia was definately the most boring. ToV just failed to ever hook me. and the characters were boring as hell story was boring as hell and it took forever to learn new skills. maybe if i stuck with it long enough to learn mystic atres i would of liked it more.

“Normal is not something to aspire to, it's something to get away from.”
Britton

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: June 01, 2011, 09:12:47 AM »

This is about the only JRPG series I like anymore, but I LOVE it. Just the skit system alone keeps me wanting to play, but the other things the series offers make it even more enjoyable. First one I played was Destiny for the PS1 and last one was Vesperia for the 360. Fave was probably the Gamecube version of Symphonia. I've kind of lost track of the series lately because I don't know what games are new, which ones are enhanced ports/remakes, or spinoffs.
Lard

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: June 01, 2011, 10:54:05 AM »

I've played the one on PS1 and the one on the GC (Symphonia?), and I couldn't finish either. Don't like the combat system, the stories are trite and twee, and they carry just about every RPG trope and convention you can think of. Tales games are about as generic as you can get. My most hated series.

I avoid online multiplayer because my brain still works.
insertnamehere

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: June 01, 2011, 11:08:35 AM »

About the only one I really didn't enjoy was Legendia. Though I'd offer sparse praise to some of the character quests, and I absolutely swooned over the wonderful soundtrack, which for me was far, far beyond any of Sakuraba's work on the series.

pretty much that
Except I have slightly fond (mostly average) memories of it and THAT SOUNDTRACK.
I beat Symphonia like 4 times, with around 350 hours spent on it, and probably a month ago I realized that I hate it.
Abyss was neat and had lovely graphics too~

come get high with me
ba dum tissssss
Vaporeon

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: June 01, 2011, 02:49:30 PM »

Since my first console was an N64, followed by a Gameboy Color and a Gamecube, I didn't play many RPGs growing up besides Pokemon, but ToS is one of the games that really got me hooked on the genre. Since then I've played every one that's been released in the US. Loved Abyss and Vesperia. The Symphonia sequel is by far my least favorite; It wasn't godawful, but it just felt so half-assed in every way. Also Emil is one the worst protagonists EVER. I'd rather play as Raine, Collette, and Sheena riding around in an airship in skimpy outfits.
Mickeymac92

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: June 01, 2011, 04:49:15 PM »

I just finished Tales of Vesperia today with my brother. It took us over 53 hours to finish the game while completing as few side quests as possible. I'm looking forward to the EX New Game.

As for the game itself, it's been pretty great so far. The story is occasionally lacking in execution, but all together it's well-told and I'd say quite enjoyable. The ending was very nice. The music, art, and world all work well together to create a charming atmosphere, though a few tunes did get on my nerves. I also found the characters to be quite likeable and interesting, if a bit cliché. The gameplay, on the other hand, was excellent, among the most refined in the series as far as I've seen; though I do wish you had more control over your allies. They can be a pain sometimes.

The only things I really didn't like were a few of the tedious dungeon puzzles, occasional unnecessary backtracking through dungeons near the end, and the unskippable cut scenes.

All-together, it's not Best-Game-Ever material, but it is pretty excellent in my opinion. It's my favorite in the series so far, and I look forward to playing the other entries in the series.

I've decided to just skip Tales of Phantasia and just play the PSOne version later in the year, once I'm done with the 'pincer strike'. I doubt I'll need to give up on the others since they have better gameplay.

Tales of Hearts looks really good, but I'm waiting until I can play it in English. Believe me, I've been trying to learn Japanese for years now, and I now know maybe...4 words? A story-based game like ToH won't go over well for me if I import it.

Ive played them all and I like Phantasia best, the playstation version I should add.

Yeah, the PSX version seems like the best version available to me.

pretty much that
Except I have slightly fond (mostly average) memories of it and THAT SOUNDTRACK.
I beat Symphonia like 4 times, with around 350 hours spent on it, and probably a month ago I realized that I hate it.
Abyss was neat and had lovely graphics too~

I guess my ears are in for treat then, eh?

Since my first console was an N64, followed by a Gameboy Color and a Gamecube, I didn't play many RPGs growing up besides Pokemon, but ToS is one of the games that really got me hooked on the genre.

My circumstances were pretty similar, and like you, ToS helped me get into the RPG genre. I honestly can't wait to get back to it and finish it.

http://myanimelist.net/profile/mickeymac92

“MY NAME IS POKEY THE PENGUIN I LOVE CHESS!! IT IS LIKE BALLET ONLY WITH MORE EXPLOSIONS!”
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: