Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
September 19, 2014, 03:53:47 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz!
Subject: Persona 3: FES
Prize: $20 eShop, PSN or Steam code
Date: 3rd October 2014 Time: 16:00 EST
331654 Posts in 13579 Topics by 2191 Members
Latest Member: Zaltys
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Single-Player RPGs
| | |-+  Tales Series
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 Print
Author Topic: Tales Series  (Read 5334 times)
ShadowLaguna

Rattle your goddamn head!

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #30 on: June 02, 2011, 08:19:25 PM »

I only started with Tales of Symphonia first, because it was the first one that came out here. But I'm not complaining, I love it!

I've played Phantasia, Eternia, Symphonia, Vesperia, Hearts, and Symphonia 2. I also have Tales of Destiny (original) and the Abyss (Japanese copies), but stupid region-lockout has prevented me from playing it. One of these days, I'll get around to getting rid of that.

There's nothing I truly dislike about them. I've somehow managed to get very attached to them. Of course this excludes Symphonia 2, as I recommend even the biggest of Symphonia fans to stay away from it.

Wii Number - 1981 9892 1002 5530
Tomara

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #31 on: June 03, 2011, 02:08:55 AM »

Is Estelle really that annoying to everyone?

I kinda liked her. She was sweet without acting like a stupid 5-year-old. Also, she likes books. Books are awesome :D

Not a very good healer though. A dedicated healer shouldn't be running around, getting hit by monsters she's trying to attack. In her case, being idle was more productive than attacking, but her AI just couldn't get it right... Luckily, Raven and Karol are pretty good at keeping everyone healed.

Anyway, I've played Destiny, Eternia, Phantasia, Symphonia, Legendia, the Abyss, Radiant Mythology, Symphonia 2 and Vesperia. In that order. People over at [N]Gamer think I'm a huge fan, but I mostly just really like Tales of the Abyss. The other games were fun, but not as memorable.
Dice
Super Happy Fun Super Girl
AMG A GIRL

Tawdry Hepburn

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #32 on: June 03, 2011, 02:46:55 AM »

I kinda liked her. She was sweet without acting like a stupid 5-year-old. Also, she likes books. Books are awesome :D

I loved that about her too.  I find her personality more or less neglected in anime's nowadays.  She's sweet, but not overbearing.  She's cute, but not a whiny loli.  She's smart without being a pest. 

http://society6.com/Dice963
http://www.redbubble.com/people/dice9633

Support your local Dice (and pitch her ideas)!
Tomara

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #33 on: June 03, 2011, 04:41:08 AM »

Exactly. She's the kind of person I would actually want to hang out with. That's not something I can say about, well, 95% of all RPG heroines? To be honest, I usually want to throw them off a cliff. Most have some really, really annoying personality quirks. Estelle has a fairly balanced personality. She's so nice and... and... normal.
FlamingR1ft
RPGFan Editor

View Profile Email
« Reply #34 on: June 03, 2011, 04:59:18 AM »

I liked her a lot! But as Tomara said, her healing was not good... >.<

ShadowLaguna

Rattle your goddamn head!

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #35 on: June 03, 2011, 05:26:50 AM »

I have no problems with Estelle. I just think she adds to the humour of the game, as do Raven and Karol. I don't recall having any healing problems with her, but maybe I just need to play the game normally again.

Wii Number - 1981 9892 1002 5530
Tomara

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #36 on: June 03, 2011, 05:40:09 AM »

I have no problems with Estelle. I just think she adds to the humour of the game, as do Raven and Karol. I don't recall having any healing problems with her, but maybe I just need to play the game normally again.

It wasn't so much healing as running to the middle of the battlefiend and getting her butt kicked. Oh and when she does heal, she has the tendency to go for the most expensive spells that take a lot of time too charge. When you're playing smart and dodging and blocking a lot, you don't really need those big heals. Raven and Karol are just more efficient. Oh and Love Shot heals almost instantly, so there's that too.

That doesn't mean she is a bad character though. She becomes a lot more useful if you spend some time tweaking her AI and give her something to combat the high TP consumption. She also has this spell that forms a ring and pulls all enemies together in the middle of the screen. In my game she was pretty good at timing it so that Rita could hit everything with her spell. It becomes useless after you gain Tidal Wave, but still...
dalucifer0
시발놈

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #37 on: June 03, 2011, 08:05:31 AM »

Shit, Estelle was only useful for me because I had her healing spells shortcutted to the right stick and kept using the right stick to make her heal more often.
Annubis

Something something like a tiger

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #38 on: June 03, 2011, 10:09:32 AM »

I think she suffers from the same problem that Mitsuru did. The character was good but her default AI was junk. People who changed it (balanced -> full assault) had no problem and people who let the default AI got screwed.
If you go on Estelle, disable all her melee skills, go in the party lineup and put her at the back, everything works well. You can even use orders to order her to stick to healing only on healing intensive fights.
Alisha

Z0eila@hotmail.com Z0eila
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #39 on: June 03, 2011, 05:48:53 PM »

i had no problem with estelle but the ensemble female cast sucked. well i suppose you could say this about the entire cast but nobody was willing to take the lead. there was no raine/tear/jade/marta type character to push the characters forward.

“Normal is not something to aspire to, it's something to get away from.”
Annubis

Something something like a tiger

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #40 on: June 03, 2011, 05:51:55 PM »

i had no problem with estelle but the ensemble female cast sucked. well i suppose you could say this about the entire cast but nobody was willing to take the lead. there was no raine/tear/jade/marta type character to push the characters forward.

I made the argument long ago that without Yuri, the cast would fall apart. He literally made the game.
I'm not sure if that's good or bad.
MereMare

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #41 on: June 05, 2011, 04:41:10 AM »

I've played and beaten Symphonia, Phantasia (GBA), Abyss and Legendia.  Of those, Abyss stands out.

OBJECTION!
EurAsianGirl
Restricted Members

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #42 on: June 07, 2011, 05:12:06 AM »

The Tales series is awesome, probably my 3rd favorite RPG series (Right after Grandia and Lunar of course)

I've played all of the English released Tales games (Never imported the Japan only ones, won't struggle to translate my way through a game just for the sake of playing the game, it'll just suck all the fun out of it which is the point of video games.) And I'd have to say my favorite one would have to be Abyss. In fact it's my 5th favorite RPG of all time!! The storyline I felt was really deep and original, I loved the theme of that game and all the characters were really developed and had their own arc dedicated to them. Overall I feel it's been the best Tales game released stateside and may even be the best in the series.

My first Tales game though surprisingly was both Eternia and Symphonia. Confused you ask? Well I first discovered Tales games through Tales Of Eternia which I saw at all my local game stores when I was a kid, but unfortunately my mom forbid me from playing it until I got to age 12 or 13 (I was like 9 or 10 and yeah my parents were and *are* still very strict on game ratings lol)

Anyways, by the time I turned 12 I got both Eternia and Symphonia which had just come out and played both of them. So yeah, they both introduced me to the series. Though technically I would say Eternia was my first Tales game because it's what got me familiar with Tales and I found it to be very similiar to Star Ocean 2(Which I loved) so I started associating Tales with Star Ocean lol.

Avid Grandia and Lunar Fan
Awaiting Tales Of Graces F, Rune Factory Oceans, Ar Tonelico 3 and Harvest Moon Twin Leaf Villiage.
CDFN

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #43 on: July 04, 2011, 06:05:44 PM »

Interesting interview with Makoto Yoshizumi (scroll down for english version)

http://www.kingdom-of-tales.net/news-480.html

Currently playing: Uncharted 3, Dark Souls, Team ICO Collection, Atelier Totori, Child of eden.
Dice
Super Happy Fun Super Girl
AMG A GIRL

Tawdry Hepburn

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #44 on: July 04, 2011, 06:17:41 PM »

Oh you doubters were all like "TALES IZ DED HEER!!!". 

Fuck y'all.

http://society6.com/Dice963
http://www.redbubble.com/people/dice9633

Support your local Dice (and pitch her ideas)!
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: