Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
November 24, 2014, 06:05:36 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
We have a new board! Pop on over to the Game Journals section and tell us what you've been playing!
338204 Posts in 13845 Topics by 2214 Members
Latest Member: CoreSignal
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Multiplayer RPGs
| | |-+  Dungeon Siege III Demo Out
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 Print
Author Topic: Dungeon Siege III Demo Out  (Read 11185 times)
John
Administrator

DeceptiJohn
View Profile WWW Email
« on: June 01, 2011, 09:10:55 AM »

So, the Dungeon Siege III demo is now available on Xbox Live, and I'll be very happy to collect on my $10 from Rob when this game actually sells well.  Demo was pretty fun - just about what I'd expect from a top-down hack-and-slash RPG.  Looks to have a bit more depth than I expected, too.

THROW PICKLE IN BURGER TO SPEED UP COMMERCIAL
Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2011, 12:56:59 PM »

Seemed OK, but I can probably wait on this despite the Steam incentive being VERY tempting. I'll give it another shot when the PC demo hits however.
neogalahad

View Profile WWW Email

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2011, 07:31:22 PM »

I played through the demo twice last night, to try out the two different characters. The gameplay is actually really fun and reminds me of the days when I used to play champions of norrath or dark alliance. Its pretty streamlined for an rpg due to the fact that there are no stat building points, no potions or items of that calibur. The enemies drop green orbs for health and you use your main attack to recharge your focus (MP metter) to use your skills. When you are fighting bosses you need to use the roll and block skills or your going to get owned! Great game, cant wait for it to come out.
Arhkaos

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: June 08, 2011, 12:41:22 PM »

I had a great time playing this demo! I was actually really surprised there actually was a story, I appreciated the conversations with NPCs. And the gameplay is really smooth for a console hack and slash. I'm definitely going to buy this one when it releases!

I have fury!
Cyril

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: June 09, 2011, 03:52:19 AM »

The demo sold me.  I was a bit worried, but I did enjoy Dungeon Siege: Throne of Agony.

As long as it's not a buggy mess, I'm sure I'll enjoy it.
Esper_Crusader

I love you, Dr. Zaius

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: June 10, 2011, 04:38:30 PM »

I just finally got around to checking out the demo. I think I like it enough that I may trade in my copy of Hunted: Demon's Forge for this next week. I think I'll have a better time with it.

Currently playing: .

-----------------------------------
"If I can't smoke and swear, I'm F**ked." ~ Ricky
Britton

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: June 13, 2011, 01:27:00 PM »

It's nice to see some online co-op rpg's come to the 360. This, Crimson Alliance, the upcoming LOTR: War In The North and a few more. I loved the demo and preordered the game a month or so ago.
PaleRobbie
Podcast Host
RPGFan Editor

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 13, 2011, 03:42:19 PM »

We'll see, John.  I doubt this series still has a core following, but I'm okay with being surprised. 
Taelus
Some music guy
RPGFan Editor

WOLOLO

taelusramza
View Profile Email
« Reply #8 on: June 13, 2011, 11:01:21 PM »

Check out the boards on GameFAQs, Rob. People are still into it. They're all bawwwing about how it's different, though. But I agree with everyone else, the demo sold me, it's pretty damn fun.

"IT IS SUBTRACTION.  I WILL COME TO YOUR SCHOOL AND BEAT YOUR STUDENTS." - John
Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 13, 2011, 11:21:16 PM »

Well, the PC controls really ARE bullshit. It's a genre that was popularized on the PC and in many ways should still be a natural fit even with the design decisions made with consoles in mind, how did they manage to fuck it up? If I get it I'll definitely play with the 360 controller, I figured for sure this would be a keyboard and mouse kind of game.
Taelus
Some music guy
RPGFan Editor

WOLOLO

taelusramza
View Profile Email
« Reply #10 on: June 13, 2011, 11:46:34 PM »

Did they not make any interface changes for the PC version? I haven't seen it yet.

Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 13, 2011, 11:59:48 PM »

There's a demo on Steam, if you can play it it's better than having it described to you.

If not... well, ok. You don't click on where to go, you control with WASD as if it were a shooter, or hold the right mouse button in the direction you want to go. And the left mouse button is for attacking, period. Not clicking a target to attack or anything, just you will swing your sword/staff if you click it. I didn't get far enough to see how well this even worked, but I have little doubt it would not have been a pleasant experience compared to the controller.

Actually, it's pretty damn telling that if you have a 360 controller plugged in the game will display the Xbox buttons in the menus and completely ignore the keyboard and mouse once you actually start the game proper. With no option to toggle in the menus.
PaleRobbie
Podcast Host
RPGFan Editor

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 15, 2011, 08:01:09 PM »

I didn't have too many problems with the PC controls, but it is a little awkward at first.  The game is more defense focused than I figured, so I think the controls have been built with that in mind.  This isn't Diablo where you just rend armies asunder with powerful spells and attacks.  This is more deliberate and paced.  Honestly, I was surprised by the demo and enjoyed it quite a bit.  Whether or not that gameplay can hold up for twenty hours is another story. 
neogalahad

View Profile WWW Email

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: June 16, 2011, 04:41:20 PM »

I didn't have too many problems with the PC controls, but it is a little awkward at first.  The game is more defense focused than I figured, so I think the controls have been built with that in mind.  This isn't Diablo where you just rend armies asunder with powerful spells and attacks.  This is more deliberate and paced.  Honestly, I was surprised by the demo and enjoyed it quite a bit.  Whether or not that gameplay can hold up for twenty hours is another story. 

SO true about the pacing and defense mechanics. The demo surprised me as well. I thought it was going to be like diablo, titan quest, torchlight, but its not. If you dont defend and dodge, you'll get destroyed. I like the idea because just standing there and taking hits so that you can attack and if you have more hp then you win is old after SO many rpgs use this. ( I know there is a lot more involved but you get what im saying)
Taelus
Some music guy
RPGFan Editor

WOLOLO

taelusramza
View Profile Email
« Reply #14 on: June 16, 2011, 10:02:03 PM »

I agree with the general sense of being surprised and pleased. It had its own flavor, and the production values on it were top-notch. Except the chick character's voice sounds really, really awkward. But other than that, solidness. Going to enjoy reviewing it and co-oping it with my gf.

Pages: [1] 2 3 4 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: