Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 24, 2014, 05:30:22 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz
Next Quiz Date: January 11, 2014
Subject: 999 (Nintendo DS)
For more information click HERE!
319786 Posts in 13049 Topics by 2147 Members
Latest Member: TacoBell_Lord
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Multiplayer RPGs
| | |-+  Dungeon Siege III Demo Out
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 Print
Author Topic: Dungeon Siege III Demo Out  (Read 9539 times)
Agent D.

"Mage"nt D.

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: June 20, 2011, 11:52:02 PM »

I tried out the fire chick, and was kinda bored with the combat. It's 2011, where are the combos, man? In a dungeon crawler like diablo or torchlight it works because you get a ton of special attacks and a general slashing attack. This game kinda teases you with a five hit combo that WILL NEVER GET ANY VARIETY EVER, or at least based on demo impressions. I'll pick it up off gamefly for further playing, but can't guarantee I'll be supporting the release with a full on purchase in the future at this point.

TASTY!
Taelus
Some music guy
RPGFan Editor

Let's see if you bastards can do 90.

taelusramza
View Profile Email
« Reply #16 on: June 21, 2011, 12:35:33 AM »

been spending some time with the full game. honestly, this game reminds me of seiken densetsu 3. combat difficulty balance is awesome, i love feeling like it's actually skill affecting whether or not my coop partner and I win fights. plus, reinhart's dynamic magic is bad. ass.

"IT IS SUBTRACTION.  I WILL COME TO YOUR SCHOOL AND BEAT YOUR STUDENTS." - John
neogalahad

View Profile WWW Email

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: June 21, 2011, 12:51:06 PM »

been spending some time with the full game. honestly, this game reminds me of seiken densetsu 3. combat difficulty balance is awesome, i love feeling like it's actually skill affecting whether or not my coop partner and I win fights. plus, reinhart's dynamic magic is bad. ass.

DUDE! I love the Seiken series! It does remind me a little of 3 but WAY faster paced. I cant wait to pick this up.
PaleRobbie
Podcast Host
RPGFan Editor

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 21, 2011, 10:24:44 PM »

I take back all of the things I said about the mouse and keyboard configuration on PC.  Whoever designed this system was off their rocker.  There's no way to remap keys and actions, which kills the game because you have to use their awkward default configuration.  There have been multiple times where i was trying to attack someone towards the top of the screen but my character turned right around and started attacking someone towards the bottom of the screen.  I have to lift my whole hand up if I want to use a skill because I naturally allow my left hand to control the camera.  I'm basically going to be forced to play it using an XBox controller at this rate. 
Cyril

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: June 22, 2011, 01:52:10 AM »

I'm still in the middle of Alice, so I can't play this yet, but any tips on who a good starting character is to play with?
PaleRobbie
Podcast Host
RPGFan Editor

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 22, 2011, 08:20:09 AM »

I'm playing as Lucas (knight) right now, and finding the game pretty easy.  I would say start there.

I'm using a controller now and the game plays much better.  Don't even bother with mouse and keyboard.  Just switch over to a controller, because that's the way the game was designed. 
John
Administrator

DeceptiJohn
View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #21 on: June 22, 2011, 09:21:38 AM »

I've been playing as Katarina (the gun chick).  The game starts off fairly difficult if you start as her, but once you pick up an ally for the first time, the game becomes cake.  Have them tank and just shoot everything from afar.

THROW PICKLE IN BURGER TO SPEED UP COMMERCIAL
Taelus
Some music guy
RPGFan Editor

Let's see if you bastards can do 90.

taelusramza
View Profile Email
« Reply #22 on: June 22, 2011, 10:19:24 AM »

I'm playing as
Reinhart and I think he is quite awesome. However, he can get cut down fast if you aren't careful. My gf is playing Katarina, and together they are completely awesome.

"IT IS SUBTRACTION.  I WILL COME TO YOUR SCHOOL AND BEAT YOUR STUDENTS." - John
Tooker
RPGFan Editor

king_friday@hotmail.com PeopleJohnT bigfatusername@yahoo.com
View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 22, 2011, 11:06:28 AM »

I just saw Penny Arcade's strip today (http://www.penny-arcade.com/comic/2011/6/22/) - do their criticisms that apply to local co-op?

Those who believe in telekinetics, raise my hand.
—Kurt Vonnegut
daschrier

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #24 on: June 22, 2011, 11:50:09 AM »

There's a lot of cry babies over at rpgwatch talking about DS3 being the continued downfall of the PC RPG and the consolization of the genre.

Dungeon Siege was never known for it's deep customization or role playing facets. Not sure why everyone is suprised that DS3 is a hack and slash loot fest that plays better on consoles. I'd say the only genres that play better on the PC are FPS and RTS games. A gamepad is superior in everyway in most other games.
Britton

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #25 on: June 22, 2011, 10:03:27 PM »

I'm playing as
Reinhart and I think he is quite awesome. However, he can get cut down fast if you aren't careful. My gf is playing Katarina, and together they are completely awesome.

I'm playing as Lucas and my friend I'm playing online with is playing  as the fire chick. About 9 hours into the game we met Reinhart for the first time. The guy is funny as hell.

We're almost 11 hours into the game now and we've had nothing but a blast playing this on the 360. The graphics are better than people are letting on... well, they're not hyper-detailed but the art style and especially the color scheme is awesome. A few times we were in areas where I could see why people were complaining about not seeing far enough ahead on-screen, but it really isn't that bad at all. The quests, even the sidequests seem to have meaning unlike the sidequests in Sacred 2 whoch seemed so dull and lifeless. While I play it it reminds me of a cross between the first Marvel Ultimate Aliance, Dragon Age and Diablo/Torchlight.
Kiem

kiemofsophos@hotmail.com Kiemofsophos
View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #26 on: June 23, 2011, 02:32:35 AM »

There's a lot of cry babies over at rpgwatch talking about DS3 being the continued downfall of the PC RPG and the consolization of the genre.

Dungeon Siege was never known for it's deep customization or role playing facets. Not sure why everyone is suprised that DS3 is a hack and slash loot fest that plays better on consoles. I'd say the only genres that play better on the PC are FPS and RTS games. A gamepad is superior in everyway in most other games.

Err...Dungeon Siege is a PC RPG series. I don't think people are crying about the fact that its a hack and slash. People are frustrated that developers aren't taking the time to make a game play well on all platforms instead of just the consoles. As for your comment about the the genres for Consoles over PCs...I don't know I can agree with you. Diablo is one of the most popular hack and slash RPGs in the industry, and it is PC only. Dragon Age 1 and 2 both play better on PCs (in my humble opinion) and Mass Effect 1 and 2 are also in the same boat for me. JRPGs is better on consoles with a control pad, sure, cause we're used to it. And, if you're going to hang your entire PC < Consoles on the fact that a gamepad makes or breaks certain genres, the Xbox 360 controller is PC compatible, so find another coat hanger :)
Cyril

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #27 on: June 23, 2011, 03:04:07 AM »

Dungeon Siege has also been on the PSP as well, but it seems the title was relatively unknown.

Also, thanks for the tips on characters guys.  I don't know who to start with yet, maybe I'll just roll a die!
« Last Edit: June 23, 2011, 03:10:53 AM by Cyril » Logged
Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: June 23, 2011, 03:35:10 AM »

Like Kiem said the series has traditionally been a PC series, and the genre does arguably play better on PC, at the very least controls that are more natural for PC should have been an obvious design goal rather than awkwardly adapting a console's control set up. I know that some of this PC elitism can be frustrating, but usually there's valid points out there, and it's moreso true in cases like this.

ALTERNATIVELY: Who doesn't get bugged at least a little when changes that are undesirable for you pop up? For them, it's the fact fewer companies are really catering to them anymore like they did 10 or so years ago.
« Last Edit: June 23, 2011, 03:22:10 PM by Eusis » Logged
Serene Prophet

sereneprophet@yahoo.com sereneprophet
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #29 on: June 23, 2011, 05:07:38 AM »

So Kiem, the original Diablo did get ported to PS1...just saying...:P

My time with the demo, the controls did not feel to horrible, PC that is.  I mean I guess im used to using the WASD to move around and move the camera, so it wasnt to horribly awkward?  Then again I don't play alot of hack and slash like Diablo (I was like the only person in my group of friends that was like "meh").  Seems to have more RPG elements to it than the previous games in the series, so we shall see when gamefly decides to send me a copy of it, whether or not I shall enjoy it.

-Give a man a fire, and hes warm for a day.  Light a man on fire, and hes warm for the rest of his life.-
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: