Author Topic: The Merged Final Fantasy XIII-2 Thread

Cyril

• View Profile
Re: The Merged Final Fantasy XIII-2 Thread
« Reply #960 on: January 28, 2012, 10:14:10 PM »
Everyone's making a big deal about tracks like Invisible Invaders and the rock chocobo theme, but what about the lovelier tracks, like Eclipse? That song blew me away.  Yeul's Theme is a very good ballad and I also like some of the vocal backgrounds, Ruined Hometown/New Bodhum/Starting Over/Parallel World and so on.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K3aB92PW9Qw

Actually, I really like the background music and the first ~minute in Invisible Invaders; I'm jealous that the Asian version gets it without the rap.  Without the rap I might be tempted to call it one of my favorite songs in the OST.
« Last Edit: January 28, 2012, 10:16:53 PM by Cyril »

Sapphire_Fate

• View Profile
« Reply #961 on: January 28, 2012, 10:57:52 PM »
They removed the "rap" (it's seriously not rap, it's free verse poetry) from Invisible Invaders in the US version.

Though I think both Invisible Invaders and its Aggressive Mix are just fantastic BGM.

Cyril

• View Profile
« Reply #962 on: January 28, 2012, 11:05:21 PM »
My issue with the purely instrumental version is that they took out the Ar tonelico-like ambient sounds and mechanical voices, which is why I liked the song.  I'm not a big of the pretentious "poetry" or "lyrics" or "rap" in the first place, but the rest of the song is great.

So perhaps I'm being picky, but I feel like both versions could have been better.  Really though, the distaste for the OST is entirely overblown.  I think most people haven't even listened to it.

Dice

• I'm fart and I'm smunny
  • AMG A GIRL
  • RPGFan and Dice forever...
    • View Profile
    • My DeviantArt site!  Come, stay, laugh, cry.
« Reply #963 on: January 29, 2012, 12:32:19 AM »
http://www.joystiq.com/2012/01/28/final-fantasy-xiii-2-review-fixing-the-past/

Joystiq's review.  A good one too, and I think very important in terms of the "Final Fantasy series" in general.

"Ultimately, if Final Fantasy XIII took the series five steps back, Final Fantasy XIII-2 takes it one hesitant step forward. Features like non-linear dungeons, optional side quests and NPC-populated towns are wonderful and all, but they were RPG staples twenty years ago. While Final Fantasy XIII-2 does quite a bit to fix the mistakes of its predecessor, it does very little to stand out on its own merits. It's enjoyable, but it's also disappointing in many ways. Final Fantasy deserves better."
http://society6.com/Dice963
http://www.redbubble.com/people/dice9633
http://dice963.tumblr.com/

Support your local Dice (and pitch her ideas)!
RAINBOW PIXEL POWER!!!

Agent D.

• Agent Bewear.
    • View Profile
« Reply #964 on: January 29, 2012, 02:18:15 AM »
In all fairness, most of the rpgs of the last five years have been less than phenominal. Trails in the sky, radiant historia, and mass effect 1 and 2 were really the only 4 I can call really impressive. FF has been letting its fans down for some time now, with sloppy game after sloppy game and a dozen fucking remakes. XIII-2 I think is the first new (ish) ff game in the last 5 years that actually makes me remember what I like about rpgs so far, a good grasp of everything. Good battle system, stuff to do, pretty graphics, good tunes, funny characters, the works. I'll say outright, XIII-2 is far from groundbreaking, but it's doing something that no FF game has done for some time...be pretty decent overall. Nothing is lagging too terribly on it (the story doesn't seem that lame yet...). Call me a fanboy, but I still am excited about this, not cuz it's wowomgfuckwinsuperneato, but because it is doing things right again.

Now maybe square enix will take a daring step further ahead and make the next main character of a ff game a badass through and through. Kind of like shepard in mass effect, or even better... Ryudo from grandia 2 for the first 65% of the game. God he was awesome. A good, strong willed protagonist who doesn't take nonsense from people, isn't in it for the greater good, and simply does what he has to because he has to. Oh, and he has to like kids. I don't know what it is, but badass heroes who like kids are such a positive mark for me. See some burly, grizzly, Barret from ffvii looking mofo playing with a bunch of kids. Not like that pussy Cloud who only played with a kid to get points with Tifa (or Barrett if you were swinging that way...).

....I'm bored, so I typed a lot.

TASTY!

Sapphire_Fate

• View Profile
« Reply #965 on: January 29, 2012, 05:22:57 AM »
In all fairness, most of the rpgs of the last five years have been less than phenominal. Trails in the sky, radiant historia, and mass effect 1 and 2 were really the only 4 I can call really impressive. FF has been letting its fans down for some time now, with sloppy game after sloppy game and a dozen fucking remakes. XIII-2 I think is the first new (ish) ff game in the last 5 years that actually makes me remember what I like about rpgs so far, a good grasp of everything. Good battle system, stuff to do, pretty graphics, good tunes, funny characters, the works. I'll say outright, XIII-2 is far from groundbreaking, but it's doing something that no FF game has done for some time...be pretty decent overall. Nothing is lagging too terribly on it (the story doesn't seem that lame yet...). Call me a fanboy, but I still am excited about this, not cuz it's wowomgfuckwinsuperneato, but because it is doing things right again.

Now maybe square enix will take a daring step further ahead and make the next main character of a ff game a badass through and through. Kind of like shepard in mass effect, or even better... Ryudo from grandia 2 for the first 65% of the game. God he was awesome. A good, strong willed protagonist who doesn't take nonsense from people, isn't in it for the greater good, and simply does what he has to because he has to. Oh, and he has to like kids. I don't know what it is, but badass heroes who like kids are such a positive mark for me. See some burly, grizzly, Barret from ffvii looking mofo playing with a bunch of kids. Not like that pussy Cloud who only played with a kid to get points with Tifa (or Barrett if you were swinging that way...).

....I'm bored, so I typed a lot.
I agree with you, FFXIII-2 is a step in the right direction, something I haven't seen from the series since X-2's battle system.

Akanbe-

• Meep
    • View Profile
    • RPGamer
« Reply #966 on: January 29, 2012, 12:46:57 PM »
Now maybe square enix will take a daring step further ahead and make the next main character of a ff game a badass through and through.

I'm not holding my breath considering the ero looking guy they gave us for Versus.  Also there seems to be a possibility that the next FF game will be FFX13-3 so I'm guessing a good protagonist is out of the question.

"Karma is...secret top tier"~Starmongoose
PSN ID: Akanbe9

Prime Mover

• All's fair in love, war, and the recording studio
    • View Profile
    • www.ericbarker.com
« Reply #967 on: January 29, 2012, 03:46:41 PM »
I was finally able to play the demo yesterday (moved back into my cabin where I could hook my 360 to my router). I'm really impressed! Tuesday can't come any sooner. It's weird playing in FF13s engine, and actually be able to go around and talk to people. I sorta wish they had gotten rid of that big gaudy "TALK" graphic that pops up, though. It was okay in FF13 where speaking to an NPC was some huge, awe-inspiring event. But now that town wondering is back and commonplace, it's kinda intrusive. However, in any case, I'm really digging the feel, I think it sets FF13 back into place the few things that really made it feel strange. I was also concerned that Serah is the lead, she was such a plot device, sickly girl in the first game. But they've done a good job developing her visually and narratively (except she's still too damned skinny!) so I find I don't have a problem with it. In fact, it's uncanny how well they made her look remenicient of Lightning.

Chocolina is scary though. Would have been completely okay had she been a one-time event. But she's EVERYWHERE, and that's frightening.

Sapphire_Fate

• View Profile
« Reply #968 on: January 29, 2012, 05:12:38 PM »
Now maybe square enix will take a daring step further ahead and make the next main character of a ff game a badass through and through.

I'm not holding my breath considering the ero looking guy they gave us for Versus.  Also there seems to be a possibility that the next FF game will be FFX13-3 so I'm guessing a good protagonist is out of the question.
Noel is a surprisingly good protagonist, honestly.

VampiricDragon_

• Banninated
    • View Profile
« Reply #969 on: January 29, 2012, 10:23:10 PM »
the next ff that comes out in english is type zero and then bravely default

Agent D.

• Agent Bewear.
    • View Profile
« Reply #970 on: January 29, 2012, 11:26:19 PM »
Fuck my life, was super excited to get ffxiii-2 tuesday morning. Now I'm stuck working 9 til possibly 9 maybe later depending on how quickly I can mount a 60inch plasma tv by myself. Even tried rescheduling to get tuesday off...no go. Sadface.exe :(

TASTY!

Dice

• AMG A GIRL
    • View Profile
« Reply #971 on: January 29, 2012, 11:29:26 PM »
Fuck my life, was super excited to get ffxiii-2 tuesday morning. Now I'm stuck working 9 til possibly 9 maybe later depending on how quickly I can mount a 60inch plasma tv by myself. Even tried rescheduling to get tuesday off...no go. Sadface.exe :(

I'm in the same boat.  Wednesday.  Probably won't eve be playing it that day or the next.... fuck my life.

Let's go complain and moan in grief together.

RAINBOW PIXEL POWER!!!

VampiricDragon_

• Banninated
    • View Profile
« Reply #972 on: January 29, 2012, 11:29:36 PM »

Thats what I love about being my own boss.

If I want a day off I get it

Agent D.

• Agent Bewear.
    • View Profile
« Reply #973 on: January 29, 2012, 11:35:05 PM »

I'm in the same boat.  Wednesday.  Probably won't eve be playing it that day or the next.... fuck my life.

Can't, working that day and the day after. Can I take a raincheck?

TASTY!

Dice

• AMG A GIRL
    • View Profile
« Reply #974 on: January 30, 2012, 12:01:54 AM »

Can't, working that day and the day after. Can I take a raincheck?

S'all good... I'm studying my ass off for midterm.  Occasional moaning/grieving PMs? :P

RAINBOW PIXEL POWER!!!