Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
July 28, 2014, 10:35:40 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz
Next Quiz Date: January 11, 2014
Subject: 999 (Nintendo DS)
For more information click HERE!
327554 Posts in 13410 Topics by 2169 Members
Latest Member: KopeAcetic
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Single-Player RPGs
| | |-+  The Merged Final Fantasy XIII-2 Thread
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 105 Print
Author Topic: The Merged Final Fantasy XIII-2 Thread  (Read 102297 times)
ULTROS!
People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
Contributing Editor

View Profile

Ignore
« on: June 02, 2011, 12:06:38 PM »

E3 Hype!

FINAL FANTASY XIII-2
Developer: Square Enix Co., Ltd.
Publisher: Square Enix, Inc.
Platform: Xbox 360®, PlayStation®3 system
Genre: RPG
ESRB: RP (Rating Pending)
Ship Date: This Winter (NA)

Story Overview:
Set a few years after Lightning and the others saved Cocoon, some survivors have decided to start over by rebuilding on Gran Pulse. Lightning, however, is nowhere to be found and thought dead by many, but Serah believes otherwise. When her town is suddenly overrun by monsters, a mysterious man named Noel appears to save her. Together, the two set off to find Lightning...

FINAL FANTASY XIII-2 is the follow-up to the 2010 hit title, FINAL FANTASY XIII, and the latest installment in the world-renowned FINAL FANTASY series, which has shipped over 97 million units worldwide. FINAL FANTASY XIII-2 features an all-star production staff including producer Yoshinori Kitase, director Motomu Toriyama, character designer Tetsuya Nomura and art director Isamu Kamikokuryo.

"I feel ugly, I need a hard drink" - Maribel of Dragon Quest VII

Ashton
Contributing Editor

Lawful Asshole

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2011, 12:13:26 PM »

Looks like they're using the same battle system.

Pass.

dalucifer0
시발놈

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2011, 12:36:22 PM »

Is XIII's battle system that bad? I only played an hour of it, so I don't really know.
Annubis

Something something like a tiger

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2011, 12:37:34 PM »

I believe the one and only question every wants an answer to is:
- Will there be towns (that can be visited) ?
Aeolus
I'm not evil!

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: June 02, 2011, 12:52:00 PM »

Ahahahaha!!! So now Serah-chan gets to be more than pedo-bait. Too bad, there probably isn't a staff variant more ridiculous than Vannile's Phishing Rods (or a summon more ridiculous than Vannile's Orgasm-bot).

So it looks like another round of following a bunch of half parties nobody gives a shit about doing whatever it is that they're vaguely alluding to as their goal for the time being through super-disjointed magical setpieces-of-whatever land.

Maybe this time they won't make the game into one overly-long continuous corrido-AHAHAHAHAHAHAH!!!!! Yeah, like THAT'S not going to happen.

Also, what the fuck is NotFang holding in the first picture?

You've misunderstood me. I just seek your death only because you're in the way of my goal of world conquest. I can't help it that I have evil ambitions and am named Dark Lord. Honest.
CDFN

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: June 02, 2011, 12:56:57 PM »

Looks like it's the same battle system which is fine by me, let's hope that this time they give us access to everything right from the start, they should just create a separate tutorial for people who haven't played FFXIII.
Serah is playable and that new character isn't the same we saw in the teaser so that's 2 new male characters confirmed.
I'm one of the few people who enjoyed 13 so I'm looking forward to this, though Versus will probably be by far the better game.

Currently playing: Uncharted 3, Dark Souls, Team ICO Collection, Atelier Totori, Child of eden.
Kevadu

Some guy

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: June 02, 2011, 01:02:50 PM »

I honestly thought FFXIII's battle system was pretty bad.  Which is funny because that was supposed to be the game's best feature.  It had some interesting ideas, but there were a couple of fundamental flaws:

1.  After completely eliminating MP they needed some way to differentiate between physical and magic attacks.  What they came up with was having them affect the break gauge differently (physical attacks raise it very little but slow the rate it falls while magic attacks raise it a lot but it will fall quickly).  This may sound like added depth, but it's not really.  All it means is that you never want to rely on just one or the other but rather always use a combination.  More importantly, to make the whole break system actually relevant they had to give all the enemies stupidly large amounts of HP.  Otherwise you would just kill them before even getting a break.  This means all battles, even regular encounters, tend to drag on and on and on...

2.  While the idea of changing the behavior of your party members according to different roles is interesting, there just aren't enough options for any real stategic variations.  Once you figure out the winning approach for one battle you will quickly realize that it's the exact same winning approach for every battle.  There is really only one strategy in this game.  And you will use it over and over and over since, as mentioned in point 1, battles tend to get dragged out...

So yeah, lengthy battles that all play out exactly the same.  I'm not sure how that's anyone's idea of fun.

Starmongoose
Contributing Editor

Vicious Feminist

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: June 02, 2011, 01:07:45 PM »

Kevadu echoes my thoughts on the battle system.

I'm not gonna say I won't be getting it. I probably will, just that it won't necessarily be anywhere near the release date.

SAVE THE PENGUIN!

Here to suck the fun out of games.
Sagacious-T

Official Pony Thread

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: June 02, 2011, 01:08:52 PM »

The Battle system was mediocre to decent depending on what area of the game you were at. It got way too slow paced and nonstrategic near the end.

The game's real flaw was the storyline (pure shit) and progression structure (thunderous diarrhea). Now Raituning can come back with her kawaii wings in an even shittier game!
OkamiGeisha

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: June 02, 2011, 01:18:15 PM »

Serah is playable and that new character isn't the same we saw in the teaser so that's 2 new male characters confirmed.

Now, I'm wondering if Serah did or didn't marry Snow?  I'm interested for sure but hope for a world map and towns.  And the falCie stuff needs to make more sense.
Kevadu

Some guy

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: June 02, 2011, 01:24:02 PM »

The Battle system was mediocre to decent depending on what area of the game you were at. It got way too slow paced and nonstrategic near the end.

The game's real flaw was the storyline (pure shit) and progression structure (thunderous diarrhea). Now Raituning can come back with her kawaii wings in an even shittier game!

Sure, I never claimed the battle system was the worst part of that trainwreck of a game.  I just find it funny how people praise the battle system when it has some serious problems...

msg
Übermensch

View Profile WWW Email

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: June 02, 2011, 01:28:37 PM »

I'll probably buy it because its final fantasy, but I wish i'd learn my damn lesson.
Same battle system is the worst news I could have heard, I'll pick it up 2nd hand so its cheap and squeenix dont get any of my money.

Alisha

Z0eila@hotmail.com Z0eila
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: June 02, 2011, 01:49:21 PM »

looks like Yuna had sex reassignment surgery.

“Normal is not something to aspire to, it's something to get away from.”
Maxximum
Not quite over gaming

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: June 02, 2011, 02:06:23 PM »

I was hoping XIII-2 was an apology for releasing a game that played itself. Sadly, it doesn't look like they changed  much, if anything at all.
I know I shouldn't judge something based on a few screen shots, but I just cant help it.

NOW PLAYING:
Hearthstone: I don't like card games, and yet I enjoy this.
Chaos on Deponia: Beat the first one, went straight for the second one, that says a lot.
F.E.A.R. 2: Project Origin: Seems ok, has mouse issues.
Dice
Super Happy Fun Super Girl
AMG A GIRL

Tawdry Hepburn

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: June 02, 2011, 02:27:16 PM »

Kevadu echoes my thoughts on the battle system.

I'm not gonna say I won't be getting it. I probably will, just that it won't necessarily be anywhere near the release date.

This for sure.  I can't afford it, and while I make exceptions, I don't want to afford it right away at the very least.  If the reviews are good, great... but if this is more of the same, than wtf is Squeenix thinking?

http://society6.com/Dice963
Support your local Dice (and pitch her ideas)!
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 105 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: