Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 01, 2014, 04:41:29 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz!
Subject: Persona 3: FES
Prize: $20 eShop, PSN or Steam code
Date: 3rd October 2014 Time: 16:00 EST
332823 Posts in 13638 Topics by 2191 Members
Latest Member: Zaltys
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Single-Player RPGs
| | |-+  The Merged Final Fantasy XIII-2 Thread
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 105 Print
Author Topic: The Merged Final Fantasy XIII-2 Thread  (Read 106593 times)
Uru

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #120 on: June 15, 2011, 12:37:40 AM »

Apparently at E3 there were some developer documents. Here's an image that outlines the new Dynamic Multiple-Paths that are designed to increase replayability and add variety to XIII-2.

http://i.imgur.com/nCqkp.jpg

Personally I tihnk it looks like a huge step up from Final Fantasy XIII and has gotten me quite excited for thhe game.

That....was funny. I want to give 13 another shot, but I just didnt enjoy the first one. I also dont like the design of Noel, seems like a rush job from Nomura. I do hope its super good...
Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #121 on: June 15, 2011, 12:50:00 AM »

This is definitely a game I'd wait until I heard positive impressions first. I won't deny it, I'd probably line up for FFXV unless SE was completely retarded and made it into an MMO too, but the sequels-to-sequels are another matter entirely.
Aeolus
This is the Monado's Powerbomb!

Little did he know, the fall damage would KO him.

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #122 on: June 15, 2011, 05:25:07 AM »

Probably something like in The Witcher 2. Lightning spells deal more damage when it's raining / fire less.

That's all very well when in a Lightning or Snow storm but what about the other guys? Fang storms aren't exactly a common occurrence ya' know.

In my vision, I see that one of us is going to KO the other.
hell_snake

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #123 on: June 15, 2011, 09:17:34 AM »

That....was funny. I want to give 13 another shot, but I just didnt enjoy the first one. I also dont like the design of Noel, seems like a rush job from Nomura. I do hope its super good...

haha if you think Noel is a rushed job, then BEHOLD!

"An unanswered question is better than an unquestioned answer"
CDFN

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #124 on: June 15, 2011, 09:54:31 AM »

Yeah, the design of that new character is far worse than any of the protagonists of XIII, I hope she isn't a relevant character.

Currently playing: Uncharted 3, Dark Souls, Team ICO Collection, Atelier Totori, Child of eden.
Akanbe-

Cheap? I paid a lot for this hat!

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #125 on: June 15, 2011, 05:06:03 PM »

Apparently at E3 there were some developer documents. Here's an image that outlines the new Dynamic Multiple-Paths that are designed to increase replayability and add variety to XIII-2.

http://i.imgur.com/nCqkp.jpg

Personally I tihnk it looks like a huge step up from Final Fantasy XIII and has gotten me quite excited for thhe game.

At least the demo showed they are trying to address the issue.  Whether they follow through with it or not for the rest of the game, that remains to be seen but personally I thought the linear dungeons was a small problem compared to the other major problems the game had. Shit, even ME 2 had incredibly linear dungeons and no one seemed to bitch about that.  You land on massive planets and explore nothing but a single path that only branches for a second to find a room with money/upgrades/resources.  No one cared because the rest of the game was incredibly open-ended, but the dungeons?  9 times out of 10 they were just as linear as FFXIII's.
« Last Edit: June 15, 2011, 05:22:06 PM by Akanbe- » Logged

"Karma is...secret top tier"~Starmongoose
PSN ID: Akanbe9
Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #126 on: June 15, 2011, 05:18:07 PM »

Both ME2 and FFXIII did do the same thing, trying to streamline the game to focus on their best (or perceived best) qualities and weed out the weaker parts, even though the weaker parts could've been improved upon. Big difference is that ME1's weaker parts didn't really work as they were while FF's not only did but were essential for giving more variety and keeping the games from being just a string of battles loosely tied together.
Prime Mover

All's fair in love, war, and the recording studio

Shattre
View Profile WWW Email

Ignore
« Reply #127 on: June 15, 2011, 06:58:44 PM »

Another big difference is whether the dungeons FELT linear or open ended. MOST Final Fantasy dungeons, and RPG dungeons as a whole, are fairly linear, and that's okay. Part of making a good game is to be able to steer the player in some manner of direction, while at the same time making it FEEL open ended and enjoyable. Being able to steer them means being able to plan out cohesive story arcs and important events along the way at good intervals. But players shouldn't KNOW that they're being lead around, because then they feel stifled. FF6-9 did a great job of this. You got lots of dungeons with winding paths and small branches in order to make it feel like it wasn't a boardwalk layed out for the hero (which totally breaks the fourth wall), but in reality, the progression through the dungeon had to be done in a specific order, and there were some clear points of arrival and departure that gave the player distinct short-term goals. That's good design, IMO. With 10, you start to see long stretches of straight paths from A to B with only slight jogs along the way. FF12 did it's best to rectify this, but went to the opposite extreme by making huge empy spaces that were devoid of interesting obsticals and clear dilleniations. So FF13 went back to the FF10 method, but squeezed it even further. What they really should be looking back to are Lunatic Pandora, Ispen's Castle, Temple of the Ancients, and the Caves of Narshe. Since FF9, Square's graphical prowess has improved, their dialog may have improved, but their sense of good dungeon design has fallen greatly, they need to look back to their pre-rendered days for inspiration. And I don't think it has anything to do with the 2D > 3D switch, because there are plenty of 3D games that have had GREAT dungeon design in 3D: Ocarina of Time, Skies of Arcadia, Dragon Quest VIII, the list goes on.

eelhouse.net
- order the new album

Currently Playing: Metroid Prime 2, Trails in the Sky, Bioshock: Infinite
Currently Listening to: Devin Townsend, Dream Theater
Watching: Star Trek: TOS, Slayers, Doctor Who (as usual)
Sagacious-T

Official Pony Thread

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #128 on: June 16, 2011, 06:35:55 AM »

Mass Effect 2 broke up the action and linear traveling with interesting story sequences and plot development.

Honestly, FF13 did this too for the first 20 hours, but the gameplay barely starts until after those 20 hours, and then the game becomes far more grindy. I wouldn't have minded the game as much if it kept integrating plot regularly in the second half of the game.

We go from a sci-fi esque run from the police drama to an empty boring world grindathon :(
Warshade
CustomTitle

cronotimeshero
View Profile WWW Email

Ignore
« Reply #129 on: June 21, 2011, 05:17:03 PM »

Mass Effect 2 broke up the action and linear traveling with interesting story sequences and plot development.

Honestly, FF13 did this too for the first 20 hours, but the gameplay barely starts until after those 20 hours, and then the game becomes far more grindy. I wouldn't have minded the game as much if it kept integrating plot regularly in the second half of the game.

We go from a sci-fi esque run from the police drama to an empty boring world grindathon :(

I felt exactly the same as you about the game. Sadly most people who played the game felt the opposite and though the second half where you just grind for hours and do grind quest was where the game got good. I think they did the whole first half the game one way then said crap we forgot to let them explore so they just give you this open world to explore all of a sudden. It did not work for me but that too felt like a break up from the story that started out strong and could have been epic but then just kinda fell short. Either way I liked 13 for what it was and I hope that 13-2 is a better mix of the two though I am already kinda iffy with the whole where the heck is snow and who the heck is that guy thing? Who knows the story could be great. I think the music has taken a downward turn since uematsu is no longer involved. I really did not like the Pop song theme they did and from what I have heard about this new one its not looking like that is an aspect they are addressing. Keep the soundtrack instrumental imo.

IF MY FATE IS TO DIE, I MUST SIMPLY LAUGH.
CDFN

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #130 on: June 22, 2011, 05:35:41 AM »

New interview with a few new details:

http://www.andriasang.com/e/blog/2011/06/22/ffxiii_2_kamikokuryo_interview/

Currently playing: Uncharted 3, Dark Souls, Team ICO Collection, Atelier Totori, Child of eden.
ZeronHitaro

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #131 on: June 23, 2011, 08:54:12 AM »

I was completely uninterested in this game until I head the words "random battles" from a GT E3 vid. Now I'm skeptically cautious. Here's hoping they at least do the job class system (after all that's basically what the Paradigms are) properly this time instead of a lazy tack on.
CDFN

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #132 on: June 23, 2011, 07:44:24 PM »

New art:

New monster:

I think Serah's outfit is better than in XIII. Light looked better in her previous outfit though.

Zendervai

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #133 on: June 23, 2011, 09:09:10 PM »

That monster looks a lot like Anima from X.
Dice
Super Happy Fun Super Girl
AMG A GIRL

Tawdry Hepburn

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #134 on: June 24, 2011, 02:40:18 AM »

Serah's face still pisses me off, I don't think it could exist, it looks too...odd..  Her outfit design, while kinda cool, feels kinda like a mish-mash of whatever they could throw on her.

http://society6.com/Dice963
http://www.redbubble.com/people/dice9633

Support your local Dice (and pitch her ideas)!
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 105 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: