Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 22, 2014, 10:24:00 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz!
Persona 3 FES Quiz is now OVER!
Winner was user: Monsoon!
334652 Posts in 13706 Topics by 2200 Members
Latest Member: Rgeneb1
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Single-Player RPGs
| | |-+  The Merged Final Fantasy XIII-2 Thread
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 13 14 [15] 16 17 ... 105 Print
Author Topic: The Merged Final Fantasy XIII-2 Thread  (Read 107676 times)
Azrael

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #210 on: July 20, 2011, 04:10:04 PM »

Of course it doesn't make it less fun, but it's really insane in FFIX how completely out of nowhere the final boss appears. It kind of killed the ending for me because those last fights were pretty damn difficult for me. I think it took me like 4 or 5 tries to get through the fights and then it becomes...that. It's still worth going through.

And if I remember correctly there is a lot of info given on who Lavos is and how it got there. It's just with Chrono Trigger you do have to put a bit more work in in uncovering the story.
daschrier

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #211 on: July 20, 2011, 04:13:35 PM »

The end of 99% of all JRPGs make no sense and are all overly complex. Nothing new with this game.
CDFN

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #212 on: July 20, 2011, 04:39:48 PM »

It's different, in FF9 it literally comes out of nowhere, there's no way in hell you can see it coming and it doesn't make any sense at all, it's completely alien to the plot, it's a true WTF moment.

Currently playing: Uncharted 3, Dark Souls, Team ICO Collection, Atelier Totori, Child of eden.
Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #213 on: July 20, 2011, 04:41:42 PM »

Completely stupid things shouldn't be excused just because others have done completely stupid things. Admittedly taste CAN be a factor, though it's hard to see anyone really liking this except because they're nostalgic FOR this kind of stupidity.
Azrael

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #214 on: July 20, 2011, 04:53:15 PM »

I said there isn't any excuse for it, it was more to counter the point that all Final Fantasies had foreshadowing of events in the end...but FF9 has absolutely NO hint that that thing was coming.
Maxximum
Not quite over gaming

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #215 on: July 20, 2011, 05:20:50 PM »

Didn't VIII pull a similar twist near the end? It was foreshadowed, but I'd say it still falls into the "out of it's ass" category.

NOW PLAYING:
Final Fantasy XIII: The time has come...
Edna & Harvey: The Breakout: Its...Odd...
One Finger Death Punch: F*ck Yeah! - The game
Azrael

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #216 on: July 20, 2011, 05:26:09 PM »

I think many Final Fantasies had pretty bad endings. VII's was pretty good, and X's as well, but the rest (that I've played) were kind of weak. I'm not there in XIII so I have a feeling it could disappoint as well, but I've enjoyed what I've played thus far and I know I will definitely be picking up XIII-2 when it comes out.
CDFN

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #217 on: July 20, 2011, 05:26:49 PM »

Didn't VIII pull a similar twist near the end? It was foreshadowed, but I'd say it still falls into the "out of it's ass" category.

I'm not sure what you're reffering to, ultimacia had several forms but I don't remember any twist.

Currently playing: Uncharted 3, Dark Souls, Team ICO Collection, Atelier Totori, Child of eden.
Maxximum
Not quite over gaming

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #218 on: July 20, 2011, 05:29:21 PM »

I'm reffering to Ultimacia in general.

NOW PLAYING:
Azrael

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #219 on: July 20, 2011, 05:34:10 PM »

Really, Ultimecia? Her presence is "there" through most of the game, and when they reveal her it isn't so out of left field. It's definitely nothing like IX.

Anyway, I think this has really strayed quite a bit. I was just interested in getting a more detailed view on why Leyvuir saw the story and characters in FFXIII as bad. It also baffled me drawing the comparison to XII's story (which, IMO, is among the worst) but to each his own of course.
Maxximum
Not quite over gaming

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #220 on: July 20, 2011, 05:41:23 PM »

To me, FFXIII's story was bad because it used a bunch of confusing made up faux French terminology, that initially made no sense, to mask its shortcomings. When it all finally came together it turned out to be something simplistic and uninspired. The characters range from generic to annoying. You know something went wrong when the comedy relief comes across as the least annoying and most sensible of the bunch. I base this on roughly 15 hours of play. Maybe it gets better later on, but I stopped playing and haven't picked it up again for quite some time now.
« Last Edit: July 20, 2011, 05:51:03 PM by Maxximum » Logged

NOW PLAYING:
CDFN

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #221 on: July 20, 2011, 05:50:39 PM »

I think that reading episode 0 before playing the game made a huge difference for me. I knew all about fal'cie and l'cie, I had a lot of background for all the characters and I knew exactly what was going on at the start of the game.

That reminds me, they haven't explained how Serah can use magic without being a l'cie.

Maxximum
Not quite over gaming

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #222 on: July 20, 2011, 05:53:32 PM »

What? Plotholes? Look, Lightning has shiny armour, look at the armour, its shiny! Problem solved!

NOW PLAYING:
Kevadu

Some guy

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #223 on: July 20, 2011, 08:10:08 PM »

I read episode 0 before playing XIII and I still hated it.

Zendervai

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #224 on: July 20, 2011, 09:45:04 PM »

A big part of the problem was the overreliance on the database. When Xenosaga did it, it covered things that would be a waste of time to explain in game, like the technology and random little details. A big chunk of the main plot of FFXIII is in the database, including some of the character motivations.

Don't get me wrong, I enjoyed XIII, but a unique world always draws me in.
Pages: 1 ... 13 14 [15] 16 17 ... 105 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: