Author Topic: The Merged Final Fantasy XIII-2 Thread

CDFN

• View Profile
Re: The Merged Final Fantasy XIII-2 Thread
« Reply #300 on: September 04, 2011, 01:26:51 PM »

Actually, it does take place on Pulse the area in the E3 demo was just one of ruins of Cocoon.  The E3 also had Noel making use of Time Gates to travel to sections the of area the party couldn't reach.

He said ENTIRELY on Pulse.
Currently playing: Uncharted 3, Dark Souls, Team ICO Collection, Atelier Totori, Child of eden.

Iron Maw

• View Profile
« Reply #301 on: September 04, 2011, 01:41:04 PM »
Personally, I'm also more interested in the gameplay (as you seem to be implying) than the story. I don't think I've really seen FF as games to play mainly for story after VI itself, and even that was more "IV WAS AN AWESOME GAME AND ALL THOSE OTHER SQUARESOFT GAMES WERE AWESOME AND THIS IS GOING TO BE AWESOME TOO." Too bad maturity's only half the reason I don't think like that anymore, but that's beside the point. Anyways, if the gameplay turns out great I'm definitely onboard, as long as the execution is TOLERABLE (and it probably will be, or at least not as grating as SO4) then I'll give the game a fair chance.

Yeah, that was what I was implying.  We all know the story is gonna SUCK, no matter what amount of turn-around they can manage with XIII's train-wreck plot.  I hope I am wrong, but I dont' really have much hope for the story to turn out OK based on the current spoilers. 

On the other hand, they can still redeem themselves with expansive environment, big cities and good combat.  The trailer makes the game look promising in those aspects.

The stuff in Jump isn't a spoiler, it's the basic plot of the game. Everything written there was all implied by past trailers and the E3 demo that the party would be moving through time. FFXIII's plot itself is mostly done and FFXIII-2 is more it's only thing like FFX-2.

How well FFXIII-2 plot turns out will definitely depend on it's execution, but look at it this way: since the Dev team is introducing the concept of time-travel right in first few hours of the game like in CT and not some dumb mild-way plot twist for shock value, the theme will probably be used in a meaningful fashion.

But do ruins really count? =P
« Last Edit: September 04, 2011, 01:44:35 PM by Iron Maw »

CDFN

• View Profile
« Reply #302 on: September 04, 2011, 02:56:15 PM »

But do ruins really count? =P

Wut?! OK nevermind.
Currently playing: Uncharted 3, Dark Souls, Team ICO Collection, Atelier Totori, Child of eden.

OkamiGeisha

• View Profile
« Reply #303 on: September 04, 2011, 03:24:26 PM »
Somehow, I think the whole "tame monsters to fight with you" mechanic reminds me of how awful and stupid Tales of Symphonia 2 was with it.

I loved it in Final Fantasy Tactics and Rune Factory Frontier, so I'm all for taming monsters.  Actually, in FFT - WOTL, Chocobos were a huge help in some boss battles. I took them into practically all boss battles.

CDFN

• View Profile
« Reply #304 on: September 04, 2011, 05:19:49 PM »
So I was thinking about the story and... (spoilers)

Noel comes from a future where he's the only human left. Since there aren't any humans on Pulse we can assume that the society he lived in was the result of the Cocoon survivors colonizing Pulse. When I saw his design I actually assumed he came from the past, Oerba to be more specific, because his clothes are similar to Fang's.
So that's the second time all the humans living on Pulse are wiped out.

Lightning's story is a bit more complex, here's a transcription of the Fabula Nova Crystallis Mythology video for context:

The universe of Fabula Nova Crystallis is divided in two — the visible world, and the invisible world; the world of the living, and the world of the dead. In the beginning a single god, called Buniberzei, defeated his mother, the goddess Muin, to take control of the world for himself, and the defeated Muin disappeared into the invisible world.
Becoming the sole ruler of the world did not satisfy Buniberzei, who was certain all of the world was destined to die due to a curse laid on it by his mother. In order to stop this, Buniberzei knew he had to destroy her. But because Muin had gone to the invisible world, she could no longer be reached. In order to find the door to the invisible world, Buniberzei created the first three fal'Cie, and the very first of all the fal'Cie was the fal'Cie Pulse. The duty

Buniberzei laid on him was to open the world and search for the door to Muin.
Next, he created the fal'Cie Etro, but unknowingly created her exactly in the image of Muin. Buniberzei thus feared Etro and gave her no power of her own. Instead, he created the fal'Cie Lindzei, and laid on him the duty to protect Buniberzei from all who might seek to destroy him. Buniberzei also gave Lindzei one special duty: to wake him once the time would come. Buniberzei then turned to crystal falling into an endless sleep.

Pulse wished to expand the world and created many fal'Cie and l'Cie. Lindzei wished to protect the world, so he also created many fal'Cie and l'Cie. Etro alone was powerless and could create nothing of her own. Etro thus tore at her body, letting her blood flow to the earth and disappeared from the visible world. From her blood sprung humankind, creatures born only to die.

That the visible world would one day be destroyed was no curse, only fate, and if the balance between the visible and the invisible worlds were destroyed, the universe itself would collapse. The goddess Muin could do nothing to stop this fate and she was being swallowed into the chaos of the invisible world, but just before her last moment, Etro came to her side.

Muin told Etro she must protect the balance of the world, before slipping into the chaos forever. But Etro didn't know the meaning behind Muin's words. She was lonely, but felt affection toward humans who live only to die. As they died, Etro smiled, and gave them chaos, and the humans named the chaos "heart," holding it inside them. Their hearts would become their power, but the humans did not yet know this.

Humans would come to call Pulse the all powerful ruler. Lindzei they named their protector. And Etro... Etro they named "death." And because humans held chaos so close to them, the world once again was in balance.

And Buniberzei continues sleeping. Until the end of forever.

In XIII-2 Light was summoned to the other world to protect Etro. I don't know what she's protecting her from but something obviously goes wrong and that is why Noel comes back. On second thought, it might be the guy with the purple her from the reveal trailer. They show him fighting with Lightning so he's probably the threat.
The monsters that are attacking the village at the begining of the last trailer are coming through some kind of portal so I'm guessing they're also coming from the future.

Iron Maw

• View Profile
« Reply #305 on: September 04, 2011, 05:57:12 PM »
In XIII-2 Light was summoned to the other world to protect Etro. I don't know what she's protecting her from but something obviously goes wrong and that is why Noel comes back. On second thought, it might be the guy with the purple her from the reveal trailer. They show him fighting with Lightning so he's probably the threat.
The monsters that are attacking the village at the begining of the last trailer are coming through some kind of portal so I'm guessing they're also coming from the future.

I actually think they are coming from the Valhalla (the world Lightning is in) to Pulse in the past where Serah and co are and eventually destroy mankind at some point. This would link both Lighning, Serah and Noel situation together rather nicely.

CDFN

• View Profile
« Reply #306 on: September 04, 2011, 06:35:42 PM »
That works too.

Aeolus

• This is the Monado's Powerbomb!
  • Little did he know, the fall damage would KO him.
    • View Profile
« Reply #307 on: September 05, 2011, 01:36:38 AM »
New info provided by Jump:

Code: [Select]
Noel is from the future. He's the last surviving human from his time.
Lightning continues fighting as a knight protecting a shrine of the goddess Etro in Valhalla now.

Yep, this game is dumb. This reminds me that I still have to sell my copy of XIII... I should buy a pizza with the money I can get.

;9

So not a fan of Radiant Historia or, Chrono Trigger? Because this pretty much the same basic premise. Don't see anything wrong with it.

Also this more like background info rather than spoiler since SE revealed it.

Or Dragon Ball Z for that matter. Or T2: Judgment Day. Or Time Cop. Or a bunch of other plots that involve someone coming from the future to prevent some horrible thing from happening.
In my vision, I see that one of us is going to KO the other.

Eusis

• View Profile
« Reply #308 on: September 05, 2011, 02:06:59 AM »
Or Dragon Ball Z for that matter. Or T2: Judgment Day. Or Time Cop. Or a bunch of other plots that involve someone coming from the future to prevent some horrible thing from happening.

You know, listing that many examples can arguably prove WHY people are justified in not wanting to see it pulled off here.

CDFN

• View Profile
« Reply #309 on: September 06, 2011, 08:16:51 AM »
Ali Hillis says they're done with voice recording. Damn, that was sooner than I expected. If a few years ago someone told me that a FF game would have the english voices recorded 3 months before it's even released in Japan I would've laughed, hard.

AuraChannelerChris

• The RPG Adventurer
  • Ultimate RPG Gamer
    • View Profile
« Reply #310 on: September 06, 2011, 05:25:39 PM »
Somehow, I think the whole "tame monsters to fight with you" mechanic reminds me of how awful and stupid Tales of Symphonia 2 was with it.

I loved it in Final Fantasy Tactics and Rune Factory Frontier, so I'm all for taming monsters.  Actually, in FFT - WOTL, Chocobos were a huge help in some boss battles. I took them into practically all boss battles.
Those are exceptions because I believe taming monsters was optional there. ToS2 practically forces you to use them given the previous cast will never touch lvl. 51 and thus high level enemies will cream them alive.

I mean, what if the window of using Hope or Snow gets taken over by monsters?

"(Huh. He's been quiet for a while. I wonder what's he thinking?)" ~Made by yours truly~
Youtube Channel - Current Walkthrough: The Wonderful 101

CDFN

• View Profile
« Reply #311 on: September 06, 2011, 08:00:34 PM »
http://www.andriasang.com/e/blog/2011/09/06/ffxiii_2_time_travel_system/

Dengeki's report suggests that you'll be able to freely travel back and forth through time.

This is part of the game's "Historiacross" system. Each area of the game world has a "gate." Activate it, and the Historiacross appears in the area. Using the Historiacross, you can select the location or era to which you'd like to travel next.

The name is retarded but it's a nice idea.

Aeolus

• This is the Monado's Powerbomb!
  • Little did he know, the fall damage would KO him.
    • View Profile
« Reply #312 on: September 07, 2011, 12:54:00 AM »
I would think this might be interesting if I didn't remember that FFXIII-2 is largely comprised of leftover scraps of art assets from FFXIII-1.

Oh, and apparently a large portion of this system is going to comprise entirely of key hunts so I wouldn't be surprised if the plot relevance for many locations consists entirely of finding keys to open the portal to the next irrelevant key hunt.
In my vision, I see that one of us is going to KO the other.

CDFN

• View Profile
« Reply #313 on: September 08, 2011, 09:55:48 AM »
Lots of juicy new info and screens:

http://www.andriasang.com/e/blog/2011/09/08/ffxiii_2_screens/

Present:

Future:

Valhalla actually looks pretty cool.

Damn, 2 QTE options:

I guess the fight can play out differently depending on our choices.

As for the gates, looks like you'll have access to different eras of each area.
« Last Edit: September 08, 2011, 10:26:48 AM by CDFN »

Yoda

• Fear is the Mind Killer
  • Darkness is Void; Juffo-Wup is light
    • View Profile
« Reply #314 on: September 08, 2011, 10:30:16 AM »
Having the choice for a QTE seems to make so much sense.

Why the fuck did god of war not try that?