Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 23, 2014, 06:20:29 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz
Next Quiz Date: January 11, 2014
Subject: 999 (Nintendo DS)
For more information click HERE!
319682 Posts in 13046 Topics by 2145 Members
Latest Member: aew0
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Single-Player RPGs
| | |-+  The Merged Final Fantasy XIII-2 Thread
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 59 60 [61] 62 63 ... 105 Print
Author Topic: The Merged Final Fantasy XIII-2 Thread  (Read 98045 times)
Aeolus
I'm not evil!

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #900 on: January 14, 2012, 11:15:48 AM »

Bad/crappy might be the wrong word in hindsight. I think the word I'm looking for when dealing with 13's plot is 'convoluted'.

And pretentious.  Every character was hurting like Dawson's Creek.

"I don't want to to wait for our lives to be over"

I miss that shitty show. 40 year olds pretending to be high school teens discussing relationships like 40 year old women in talk shows.Lovely.

*clears throat*

Fixed.

@Leyviur & ZeronHitaro:

You would've had a point if the characters who were dumb in FFX2 weren't also dumb in FFX1. Remember Yuna was a broken record about her death march throughout the majority of FFX and Meg Ryan Tidus and Citan Uzuki Auron were the only other characters. Both of which were MIA in X2 for obvious reasons.

You've misunderstood me. I just seek your death only because you're in the way of my goal of world conquest. I can't help it that I have evil ambitions and am named Dark Lord. Honest.
Dice
Super Happy Fun Super Girl
AMG A GIRL

Tawdry Hepburn

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #901 on: January 14, 2012, 12:29:08 PM »

FFX(-2) bringing back Tidus (Tide-us, I thought Tee-dus made him sound like a wimp, name him after the fucked up for a Shakespeare Titus!) was as damaging to the overall story as bringing back Aeris would be.

Whatever, I'm leaving this here.

http://society6.com/Dice963
Support your local Dice (and pitch her ideas)!
Lazlowe1984
Restricted Members

Centurion

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #902 on: January 14, 2012, 02:22:18 PM »

You guys really don't like X-2 do you? Been reading a lot hate for it today here.

I love FFX-2.

It was upbeat,hectic and much more fun than I expected.It was wrong to call it FF though,maybe something like Gullwing Adventures.

Akanbe-

Cheap? I paid a lot for this hat!

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #903 on: January 14, 2012, 05:24:13 PM »

You guys really don't like X-2 do you? Been reading a lot hate for it today here.

I did hate it, but I could see myself giving it another go someday since there isn't too much on the horizon RPG wise I'm interested in.  I don't even remember why I didn't like it, probably because of the silliness but it has been too long for me to remember.

"Karma is...secret top tier"~Starmongoose
XBL ID: Akanbe
PSN ID: Akanbe9
Twitter@AkanbeRPG
Yggdrasil

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #904 on: January 14, 2012, 09:09:33 PM »

Never forget that a review is only the opinion of one person and you can have a totally different view from that person. The problem is that most reviewers are subjective in their article. I used to reviews games for a website and even if I disliked one game, I did my best to stay objective trough my review.

I think that RPGFan does a good job on that most of the time.

Yeah I'll have that in mind. Sometimes I agree too much with one opinion and end up changing my point of view ruining my entire enjoyment of X thing. But like I said, I'm more careful with that now.

I love FFX-2.

It was upbeat,hectic and much more fun than I expected.It was wrong to call it FF though,maybe something like Gullwing Adventures.

Same here. After all the drama that FFX was (which I enjoyed a lot) I appreciated the change of tone. In part it reminded me of FFIX.
Zik

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #905 on: January 14, 2012, 11:06:03 PM »

Am I the only one who had the possibility to download and try the demo but didnt and will buy the game in 2 weeks? For some reason I have zero doubt about the quality of this game.
Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #906 on: January 15, 2012, 12:49:19 AM »

Am I the only one who had the possibility to download and try the demo but didnt and will buy the game in 2 weeks? For some reason I have zero doubt about the quality of this game.

If you were completely fine with FFXIII then you're right to make that call. Anyone who WASN'T would be nuts to jump into FFXIII-2 anyway without trying the demo or at least reading enough impressions.
Zik

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #907 on: January 15, 2012, 01:33:57 AM »

If you were completely fine with FFXIII then you're right to make that call. Anyone who WASN'T would be nuts to jump into FFXIII-2 anyway without trying the demo or at least reading enough impressions.

Yes, thats basically what I was thinking. FFXIII war far from being among the best of the series, but it was still good in my opinion.
Sapphire_Fate

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #908 on: January 16, 2012, 04:47:46 AM »

Surprised at FFX-2 hate, it had the best gameplay in the series. As for XIII-2, you have so little to judge the plot or characters on that it's pointless to make opinions now. Since I know the whole plot of the game, I can tell you that XIII-2 has way better characters than XIII, but a worse overall story.

ZeronHitaro

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #909 on: January 16, 2012, 05:34:19 AM »

Surprised at FFX-2 hate, it had the best gameplay in the series.

It's an RPG. It can have the best gameplay in the universe yet still be painfully unplayable if the story elements fail on every level. They're a different beast than any other game genre in that regard.
« Last Edit: January 16, 2012, 05:37:51 AM by ZeronHitaro » Logged
Maxximum

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #910 on: January 16, 2012, 04:52:47 PM »

I tried the demo, its an improvement over the original, though it still feels like  the game is playing itself. At least I can switch leaders at any given moment but its still not the total control I wanted. The QTEs, while kind of fun, just seem like a desperate attempt to give the player more interaction during battles without having to rework the entire system.

NOW PLAYING:                                         IMPRESSIONS:
Natural Selection2:                                         RTS/FPS hybrid that I just cant seem to get bored of.
Hearthstone:                                                 I don't like card games, and yet I enjoy this.
Sapphire_Fate

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #911 on: January 16, 2012, 06:23:43 PM »

Surprised at FFX-2 hate, it had the best gameplay in the series.

It's an RPG. It can have the best gameplay in the universe yet still be painfully unplayable if the story elements fail on every level. They're a different beast than any other game genre in that regard.
Yet there are many RPGs with shit stories that are beloved for great gameplay, FFX-2 is no different. And it's not like FFX-2's story totally failed; the latter half of the game has some seriously good story beats, particularly Paine's backstory.
Prime Mover

All's fair in love, war, and the recording studio

Shattre
View Profile WWW Email

Ignore
« Reply #912 on: January 16, 2012, 08:14:43 PM »

Yet there are many RPGs with shit stories that are beloved for great gameplay
Name some of them, cuz I can't think of any. Okay, maybe FFV, but even it is far from "beloved". I think it's pretty much a requirement for an RPG to have a decent story to be highly regarded. Most games are loved and hated due to their story/characters. I can name MANY instances of games with basic/boring/broken gameplay with great stories that are considered timeless centerpieces, none of the reverse.

eelhouse.net
- order the new album

Currently Playing: Metroid Prime 2, Trails in the Sky, Bioshock: Infinite
Currently Listening to: Devin Townsend, Dream Theater
Watching: Star Trek: TOS, Slayers, Doctor Who (as usual)
Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #913 on: January 16, 2012, 08:25:49 PM »

Name some of them, cuz I can't think of any.

Oblivion/Fallout 3 spring to mind! But no, it's more there's RPGs beloved for gameplay despite story not being the vocal point or barely existent (Demon's Souls, Dark Souls, Etrian Odyssey, Diablo). It's harder and more subjective to think of examples with AWFUL stories, even FFV is arguably an improve over FFIV in that regard, and FFIV got a lot of people into RPGs partially because of the story. That, and they're still GAMES so they need to keep in mind what they're supposed to be going for and design appropriately, but that's another topic entirely.
ZeronHitaro

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #914 on: January 16, 2012, 08:41:52 PM »

In addition to what was said above re-read my post and notice I didn't say 'X-2's' story failed completely; I was talking about the genre in general.

As I said before X-2's story is passable, but only without the elements of X's world or the characters; since they pretty much squashed that into a ball of dung in order to make it pass through the story's round hole (square peg analogy).

Additionally while X-2's battle system is fun it is hardly one of the greatest or most engaging by far, as such it is not nearly enough to make up for the faults story-side.

And I'm actually with Prime Mover on this; name some of these 'many' beloved titles. Keep in mind 'a niche group of fans likes this' and 'beloved' are completely different things. Beloved indicated a large partition of the target audience would speak fondly of a game at any given moment.
« Last Edit: January 16, 2012, 08:46:12 PM by ZeronHitaro » Logged
Pages: 1 ... 59 60 [61] 62 63 ... 105 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: