Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
November 22, 2014, 10:42:24 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
We have a new board! Pop on over to the Game Journals section and tell us what you've been playing!
337993 Posts in 13836 Topics by 2212 Members
Latest Member: WhiteWishes
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Miscellaneous Games
| | |-+  MGS, SH and ZOE HD collections announced
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 9 Print
Author Topic: MGS, SH and ZOE HD collections announced  (Read 15528 times)
CDFN

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #45 on: July 26, 2011, 01:39:43 PM »

MGS3 >>>> MGS2

FACT

Currently playing: Uncharted 3, Dark Souls, Team ICO Collection, Atelier Totori, Child of eden.
Fei

!?

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #46 on: July 26, 2011, 01:41:30 PM »

MGS3 is maybe a better product, but I have fonder memories of MGS2 if only because I like the sci-fi cyberpunk vibe.  It's what I loved about MGS4 too.

If you re-spec your elduhz and own a Vita - http://twitter.com/BSNursery
CDFN

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #47 on: July 26, 2011, 01:56:06 PM »

They're all awesome in my book but it's very rare to hear someone say that MGS2 is better than 3.

Currently playing: Uncharted 3, Dark Souls, Team ICO Collection, Atelier Totori, Child of eden.
Zendervai

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #48 on: July 26, 2011, 02:16:16 PM »

Metal Gear Solid 2 had some interesting ideas, but the ending was butchered because of the 9/11 paranoia. 3 is a more complete and polished product overall.

2 also had miss "I want to die but bullets miss me! For some reason knives or jumping off a bridge never occured to me! Boo-hoo!"
« Last Edit: July 26, 2011, 02:17:58 PM by Zendervai » Logged
Yggdrasil

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #49 on: July 26, 2011, 03:35:15 PM »

And that's all you will remember about MGS2 after you finish it.
Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #50 on: July 26, 2011, 03:52:56 PM »

So now I may have to wait it out and get it for 360... play it on a big boy system, like it was always meant to be.

Maybe I'm just being pedantic, but a game designed portable play doesn't scream "always meant to be" to me.

And have you considered looking at the RPGs for the system like Trails in the Sky? Maybe a less action-intensive game would be more suited if you're uncomfortable with the controls.
Kevadu

Some guy

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #51 on: July 26, 2011, 03:54:54 PM »

I found the PSP to be incredibly uncomfortable myself until I got a grip accessory for it so that I could actually hold it properly.  Of course, PSP accessories are becoming hard to find these days...

CDFN

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #52 on: July 26, 2011, 03:58:31 PM »

So now I may have to wait it out and get it for 360... play it on a big boy system, like it was always meant to be.

Maybe I'm just being pedantic, but a game designed portable play doesn't scream "always meant to be" to me.

And have you considered looking at the RPGs for the system like Trails in the Sky? Maybe a less action-intensive game would be more suited if you're uncomfortable with the controls.

I struggled a lot with it as well. After so many years of playing the franchise with a dualshock it's really hard to get used to it, you can't help but feel that it just doesn't control like it should. God of war worked well because you don't control the camera, this... not so much.
It's not only the fact that there's only 1 analog stick, I have big hands and after a while it becomes really painful and it forces me to stop playing, it's a really awkward position for my hand when I'm using the analog stick.
« Last Edit: July 26, 2011, 04:00:16 PM by CDFN » Logged

Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #53 on: July 26, 2011, 04:03:44 PM »

I find it a lot better on the 2000/3000 for some reason, but on the 1000 it's a pain in the ass. Though I DID get used to it on the 1000, so the jump to the 2000 combined with that made it a non-issue on most games. Still get annoyed though when games like Little Big Planet decide to ignore the pretty good D-Pad for movement in favor of the analog nub just so you can still do faces on the D-Pad. Fucking idiots, you can't play it multiplayer so why put it in at the expense of control?
Prime Mover

All's fair in love, war, and the recording studio

Shattre
View Profile WWW Email

Ignore
« Reply #54 on: July 27, 2011, 03:32:59 PM »

Really? I know a lot of people who love MGS2. Sure, the ending was bizzare, but I thought the gameplay and area design was genious. MGS3 just got way too complicated to control, for my taste. With the addition of CQC, controls just became too contextual. A button did about 4 different things depending upon the situation. And then did other things depending upon how hard it was pressed. It was the only game that I remember actively LOOKING at the controller. MGS2 just felt more natural to me.

Sure, the story had it's flaws, but honestly, MGS3 had a lot of really piss-poor monlogues that people seem to overlook. I probably face palmed more during MGS3 than any other game, including MGS2. Granted, most of these sections were meaningless and could be ignored in context of the wider story, where-as MGS2s problems were with the story itself. But I dunno, I think they're about equally as flawed. With that aside, I thought MGS2 just controlled better and I found the area design a lot more interesting. Forests were cool for the first 20 minutes, but it just got old after a while.

Oh, and Boss is one of the most meaningless villains I've ever known in any game, let alone the series. Liquid was great, Oscilot is spectacular, and El Presidente was alright (though underdeveloped). Boss was just a fucking joke I'd like wiped from my memory. Saving grace for MGS3 is young Oscilot, which was great to see.

Boss sucks. FACT

eelhouse.net
- order the new album

Currently Playing: Metroid Prime 2, Trails in the Sky, Bioshock: Infinite
Currently Listening to: Devin Townsend, Dream Theater
Watching: Star Trek: TOS, Slayers, Doctor Who (as usual)
Fei

!?

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #55 on: July 27, 2011, 10:12:02 PM »

Not to hand MGS2 any passes, but the fact that the game came earlyish in the PS2's life, and was the most incredible looking game I'd ever seen... helps.  Analyze all you want, but this kind of thing matters too.  It was like Final Fantasy 7 in that it offered something new by taking advantage of new hardware.  MGS3 was a refined version of something we'd already seen, no offense MGS3.

Besides that, I loved playing MGS2 like it was GTA3.  I could be discovered and actually take on 5 guards at a time, with well placed socom headshots, and then just zone into the next area with some degree of safety.  I actively did this.  I was actually playing a game, and not just enjoying the story.  

You already knew there were people who like MGS2, but I still wanted to say that.  Can't wait for the collections!  I never played ZOE2, but always wanted to.  It feels like this is the era of "missed game remakes" for people like me, beyond just this collection.  Tales of the Abyss, Ico, Devil Survivor, and more...
« Last Edit: July 27, 2011, 10:14:01 PM by Fei » Logged

If you re-spec your elduhz and own a Vita - http://twitter.com/BSNursery
CDFN

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #56 on: July 29, 2011, 01:30:12 PM »

1080p @ 60fps confirmed for MGS collection. Finally these collections have reached the standard they should've had from the beginning. Let's hope that future collections don't go back to 720p and 30 fps. I already said this but ZOE2 in full HD at 60 fps will melt our fucking eyes.

Edit: Bah, looks like it's 720p for MGS and 1080p for ZOE. Ah whatever, we'll see when they are released.
« Last Edit: July 29, 2011, 05:35:13 PM by CDFN » Logged

CDFN

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #57 on: July 30, 2011, 04:09:55 PM »

The good thing about these collections is that I can have some of my favorite franchises that are spread over several different systems condensed into a couple of blu-rays and all playable on the same system.
Untill now I needed a PS3 to play MGS4, a PS2 to play MGS2&3 and a PSP to play PW (MGS1 is a psone game but those are playable on any PS3). Same with the GoW games.
Buying these games twice is a drag but it's good to know that in the future whenever I want to play a MGS, GoW or Team Ico game all I'll need is the PS3. They'll also look great on my HDTV which is another issue whenever I dig my PS2 out of the closet.

Yggdrasil

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #58 on: July 30, 2011, 05:25:07 PM »

I still think that they should release MGS: Peace Walker as a stand-alone game like they are doing in Japan. At least they should put the game on PSN in the future for someone that already has all the games and doesn't want to buy MGS2 and 3 for the second or third time.

Also, I'm the only one who would to see God Hand remastered for the PS3?
Uru

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #59 on: July 30, 2011, 08:29:11 PM »

Also, I'm the only one who would to see God Hand remastered for the PS3?

Come on, you know you're not.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 9 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: