Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 24, 2014, 09:54:59 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz!
Persona 3 FES Quiz is now OVER!
Winner was user: Monsoon!
334759 Posts in 13709 Topics by 2200 Members
Latest Member: Rgeneb1
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Single-Player RPGs
| | |-+  Always missing out...
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 Print
Author Topic: Always missing out...  (Read 4011 times)
Kup

« on: August 19, 2006, 05:00:45 AM »

Hello all,

I just signed up to this Message Board after reading a lot of your posts today.  You all sound like very cool people and have very similar interests to myself, so I thought I'd join the crowd!

You're probably wondering what the subject heading is all about.  Well it's simple.  I live in the UK and miss out on a number of RPGs.  Suikoden III for instance and normally have to spend a fortune on getting an NTSC/US PS2 and games imported....

Anyway that is my rant and see you on the boards!  I'll be posting regularly.  

Thanks!
Cauton

cauton42@hotmail.com
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2006, 05:35:44 AM »

Hey and welcome,

I live in Europe as well, but I don't agree that you have to spend a fortune on importing games. I buy all my games from Canada (I recommend VG+) or the US, and I usually end up paying around 10 LESS than I would have from an Euorpean game store - shipping included.

Buying a new console to be able to play US games is probably the biggest investment, but one that you can make back pretty quickly if you buy a lot of games.
Tomara

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2006, 06:58:30 AM »

It isn't all that bad. Publishers like Koei, 505 Gamestreet and Ghostlight are very active. Konami got their act together too. Only Namco and Square Enix are being total asses, but who needs them anyway? Nintendo will publish the Tales games for Nintendo consoles.
Dincrest
Spectrum
RPGFan Editor

Stumpy McGunder- thumps

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2006, 06:27:51 PM »

I think everyone misses out somewhere.  

North American gamers miss out on all the great games that stay in Japan.

European gamers miss out on all the great games that made the leap from Japan to North America.  

I can only imagine what South American, African, Middle Eastern, and whatever else gamers end up missing.  

In short, someone always has it better than you and someone always has it worse.  I'm always the type to enjoy to the fullest what I DO have instead of whining about what I DON'T have.

Next bike-a-thon: Diabetes Tour-de-Cure 2015
Losfer
The Pope

The friendliest man on the internet

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: August 19, 2006, 06:43:21 PM »

Welcome to the boards, Mister Kup.  There are a few of us whom live here in the UK, so you're not quite alone in your ranting.  (...Although I actually hail from Canada, meh.)

Anyway, my girlfriend and I haven't really needed to import anything from yonder land of the Americas.  Mainly because we try not to buy new games that often, cause wow, 40 quid for a game is almost never acceptable.  We just wait awhile and get games for 6 or 7 off of Amazon or eBay.  We found a used copy of Dragon Quest VIII while in Canada for $18 dollars, about 9.  As opposed to over here, we have only found it used for, like, 25 at random Gamestations.

So yes, I can see your irritation at wanting to import stuff, but I say let the games drop in price before getting em anyway.  DQ was awesome for only being nine quid, but it's certainly not worth 40.  :P

Degolas

sickforbrains200@yahoo.co.uk sickforbrains200@yahoo.co.uk
View Profile WWW Email

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: August 19, 2006, 06:56:42 PM »

It's really not as bad over here as it used to be. I mean, Atelier Iris got released here for God's sake! The amount of games being released over here is getting better. We finally got a Dragon Quest game (not that I've bought it :P), Xenosaga II got a release, the DDS games and Shin Megami Tensei 3 made it...

With the next generation of consoles it reall shouldn't be so expensive. The biggest investment for importing was the console itself; as has been said the games can be found cheaper when imported. I believe the PS3 is going to be region free, so we can import the games cheaply, and not have to splash out on getting an NTSC console.

I had a stupid dream
that I could change things.

Check out my YouTube videos!: http://www.youtube.com/profile?user=Degolas
Leo

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: August 20, 2006, 12:59:25 AM »

Hi Kup, welcome to the community.

Yes, I imagine purchasing games over there is a pain in the ass. It makes me thankful for what is accessable to me, with ease.
ZE GRAND MASTER

Don't Make Me "Self-Defense" You

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: August 20, 2006, 01:09:16 PM »

Meh... While we're on the subject of games never being released in Europe, FF XII isn't out over here till February... Looks like there's plenty more waiting for it then. But seeing as its going to be one of the last rpgs released for the PS2, delaying it won't make much difference.

Plus where the hell do you buy your games from Losfer? Last time I checked, new PS2 games cost 30. And used games from Gamestation have always been a lot cheaper than 25 whenever I've bought them. Games for 7 off Amazon? I should seriously get more games from there. But, seeing as I got Star Ocean 2 off there for 90 quid, I might not...
Losfer
The Pope

The friendliest man on the internet

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: August 20, 2006, 03:55:15 PM »

Ninety quid for a game?  Yikes.  :P

Anyway, yeah, we just got Dead or Alive 3 off of Amazon.co.uk for, like, 4.  Obviously, you're not going to find a game like Suikoden for 6 at a Gamestation, I find it much easier to wait a bit after one is released.

Plus looking at pawn shops is a good idea too.  I mean, this is where I /did/ find Suikoden I and II for $6 each.  What I'm saying is...  You don't need to purchase a game as soon as it's released.  :P  Just wait for a drop in price.  Tomb Raider Legend was, like, 30 quid when it was first released and just a month later it's already down to 17.  Give it another month and I'm sure it will be 10.

Ramza
Enjoying Retirement
Editor Emeritus

TSDPatGann
View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: August 20, 2006, 04:17:36 PM »

Hello, welcome, and just wanted to say *KUDOS TO YOU* for not just posting a lame introduction thread, but rather having a TOPIC related to the forum we're in. You played it right, and you should be rewarded for it.

*Ramza awards Kup 5 self-esteem points.

There ya go.

As for the topic itself:

I'm an American. I have found through what little importing I've done that the age-old problem of not getting games we want is nearly disappearing. Almost every game on the market is finding its niche now, and about all we're missing are dating-sim games, and even then, Hirameki's bringing the cleaner stuff over. I can't think of a single up-and-coming Japanese RPG that I want that ISN'T planned for US release.

Europeans do have it harder, sure, but there are some very "interesting" European game developers that will leave their products to the continent, so in that sense Americans and Japanese will miss out. Sure they're much fewer and the production quality is relatively lower (budgeting etc), but I've heard of some great EU games.

Ramza

Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 20, 2006, 04:25:32 PM »

Just to be a dick, I can think of a few that look good and either will not, or likely won't come out here. First and foremost, Mother 3 is looking depressingly questionable. There's surprisingly Front Mission 5, and Growlanser 5 doesn't look like it'll be out either. Then there's the Tales of games, but two of them are remakes and those always have been a bit shoody in release reliability.
Ramza
Enjoying Retirement
Editor Emeritus

TSDPatGann
View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: August 20, 2006, 05:32:07 PM »

I recently wrote a review that essentially trashes Tao's Adventure. Much the same, John wrote a review trashing LoH 1. An up-and-coming review of LoH 2 will probably involve more trashing. Among handheld RPGs, I'd say you picked the more lame ones.

I highly recommend LostMagic for DS, and for PSP, get Valkyrie Profile. :P

As for Atelier Iris, just wait til AI2 gets to Europe. There will be a special surprise for you when you get it. You'll see. ^^

Ramza

John
Administrator

DeceptiJohn
View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #12 on: August 20, 2006, 06:23:26 PM »

If you want the gist of the LoH2 review I'm writing.... read the LoH1 review.

Really.

They're like the same game.

-John

THROW PICKLE IN BURGER TO SPEED UP COMMERCIAL
Tomara

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: August 21, 2006, 04:57:37 AM »

Granstream Saga? Oh yuck... Bought it because I usually like hated games with Saga in the title, what a disappointment.

I wonder what the AI2 suprise is. Of course, it wouldn't be a surprise if I knew what it was. Luckily I already signed up for a reviewcopy, so I'll likely get it early ^_^ Also made it very clear to the boss Disgaea 2 will be mine.
Evil Gately
Cryotek

gatelytheevil1@aol.com
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: August 21, 2006, 07:00:50 AM »

First of all, welcome, Kup! It's always good to have another fellow whinging Pom on the boards! As Degolas would no doubt tell you, I've been importing US stuff from the SNES onwards, so I have picked up a thing or two. With the internet becoming safer to buy from, it is becoming easier and easier to import. If you're interested in importing current-gen stuff, now is the right time to start. Granted, some titles will be harder than others to pick up. If I recall correctly, Suiko III did get a Greatest Hits (US version of Platinum) release, but it can still be a bit of a bitch to track down. And, of course, you'll end up wanting NTSC versions of Suiko I & II to get the save data transfer... Stuff like Suiko V, Front Mission 4, Kingdom Hearts II (which is still TBC for its PAL date, but looking like late November/early December!) are all easy enough to pick up at the moment.

I paid 100 for my used NTSC PS2 and a step-down converter in 2002 from a UK shop (CEX, if you're interested), so, in theory, it'll be even cheaper now! Step-downs are becoming easier to get hold of. I think Maplins have started to sell them now! Then all you need to do is hope that your TV is capable of running a 60hz/NTSC signal! :P

Pages: [1] 2 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: