Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
July 28, 2014, 06:32:48 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz
Next Quiz Date: January 11, 2014
Subject: 999 (Nintendo DS)
For more information click HERE!
327566 Posts in 13411 Topics by 2169 Members
Latest Member: KopeAcetic
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  The Rest
| |-+  General Discussions
| | |-+  Thought you knew just how f***ed up SE is these days? Think again.
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3] Print
Author Topic: Thought you knew just how f***ed up SE is these days? Think again.  (Read 4836 times)
Lazlowe1984
Restricted Members

Centurion

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #30 on: June 01, 2011, 10:28:15 PM »

*cough*RadiantHistoria*cough*StrangeJourney*cough*Nier*cough*AtelierRorona*cough*etc.*cough*

Considering the glorious SNES and Saturn RPGs I played with those you mentioned Jubby,we fell a long way.

Commander Jubby Shepard
What do you call a kid with no arms and an eye patch? Names.

If you come back you will find me a very grave man

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #31 on: June 01, 2011, 10:41:43 PM »

*cough*RadiantHistoria*cough*StrangeJourney*cough*Nier*cough*AtelierRorona*cough*etc.*cough*

Considering the glorious SNES and Saturn RPGs I played with those you mentioned Jubby,we fell a long way.

Maybe it helps that I didn't really get into JRPGs until 2 or 3 years ago...

If it'll hold Jello, Utah will put Jello in it.
Kevadu

Some guy

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #32 on: June 01, 2011, 11:07:28 PM »

Nostalgia is a powerful factor.

Parn

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #33 on: June 01, 2011, 11:14:28 PM »

Not for me.

Those were the days.
Yggdrasil

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #34 on: June 01, 2011, 11:16:22 PM »

I love bazongas.
Akanbe-

Cheap? I paid a lot for this hat!

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #35 on: June 01, 2011, 11:22:30 PM »

Yep, pretty much. Japan had a meeting about it. They decided as a nation to stop making good games just to troll us.

They stopped making good RPGs.  They still make plenty of good games in other genres.

Oh? It's just RPGs?

Well, I don't know about you but I don't think Japan trying hard enough here. Clearly their heart isn't in it.

Hm, originally I thought there was a lot more, but maybe not.  Bayonetta, Ninja Gaiden Sigma 2, Mario Galaxy, Castlevania LoS, Street Fighter, Blazblue, and other various fighting games are the ones that come to mind.  I guess there are more US created games in my current gen library than I thought.
« Last Edit: June 01, 2011, 11:29:02 PM by Akanbe- » Logged

"Karma is...secret top tier"~Starmongoose
PSN ID: Akanbe9
Agent D.

"Mage"nt D.

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #36 on: June 01, 2011, 11:28:39 PM »

Not for me.

Those were the days.
God help me, what game is that and please don't say something on the Saturn. Your bouncy bazongas have intrigued me...

Also, I should have played Suikoden II years ago, it's a pretty good game. Curse Suikoden III for ruining my taste in the series.

Oh, and one more thing, SE sucks now. Fuck their money grubbing tendencies, fuck their disrespect to their loyal fans, fuck their investors who rush them to release games, fuck them entirely. I'll watch their published titles, but god fucking help me I will never pay for a final fantasy again. I refuse to be taken for a fool any longer....(glances at type 0) ooooohhhh shiny graNO NO I WILL NOT DO IT!

TASTY!
Logick

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #37 on: June 02, 2011, 04:32:44 AM »

ok here's my take on this.  Working at a Japanese gamedev was a big eye opener for me.  From what I saw, they saw numbers of games like Call of Duty and Halo and their jaws dropped.  They seem to think they by right deserve those numbers in the west(not understanding that gaming is not THAT mainstream, just those games are) so they begin thinking this is all what westerners want, ignoring their original markets in the west.  They begin to "westernize" their titles which previously sold well in the west(not understanding people liked them the way they were, just fix a few gripes, just don't make it another generic game with an known IP slapped on it), going to either third party devs who talk big and are willing to work within their (very low) budget or they open a US studio with the same criteria.   They penny pinch and crunch and have idiots who can "talk the talk" run the show until the game is a clusterfuck, while doing so they maintain their "hostile to western devs" attitude while making the game.  If the game doesn't get canned by then, they either find a bigger idiot than the previous to ruin the game, get marketing to take over design and direction of the game, or bring in people from japan with their 1980's development ethics into the mix.  After doing this for 3-5 bombs, they go skeleton keeping only the biggest assholes, and driving away the good talent(instead of laying them, since they would need to give them severance and such), three years later repeat the cycle again.  This isn't gonna end until one of the big boys in japan goes under.  

As for JRPGs in general, JRPGS even in japan(save FF and DQ) were predominantly middle ground games.  They weren't big budget blockblusters, and they weren't tiny casual games.  This gen of consoles took a big steaming shit on the middle ground, games were too expensive to make.  The alternative is wii, which isn't friendly to non first party devs, and handhelds which are a totally different market.  Some devs like Atlus were smart and figured out how to survive as a middle ground dev, but most of the big boys decided to drop their RPG franchises or attempt to "westernize" them of course in SE's case failing.  If you want my opinion on this, the middle ground we know is dead.  But someone will take its spot, indie devs.  In a few years from now download services will mature and dev tools made available to indie devs will get better.  JRPGs will come back, but expect new franchises and new developers to take mantle.
« Last Edit: June 02, 2011, 12:20:23 PM by Logick » Logged

"If you're not careful, the newspapers will have you hating the people who are being oppressed, and loving the people who are doing the oppressing."
~Malcolm X
Starmongoose
Contributing Editor

Vicious Feminist

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #38 on: June 02, 2011, 06:39:42 AM »

;_; that was so inspiring Logick.

+1 to hopefulness.

SAVE THE PENGUIN!

Here to suck the fun out of games.
Alisha

Z0eila@hotmail.com Z0eila
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #39 on: June 02, 2011, 01:56:01 PM »

that was actually kind of depressing......thank god for super robot wars or i wouldnt be playing much these days.

“Normal is not something to aspire to, it's something to get away from.”
Chronix112
Yasunori Mitsuda / Genso Suikoden fanboi

The Pessimistic One

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #40 on: June 02, 2011, 09:38:16 PM »

ok here's my take on this.  Working at a Japanese gamedev was a big eye opener for me.  From what I saw, they saw numbers of games like Call of Duty and Halo and their jaws dropped.  They seem to think they by right deserve those numbers in the west(not understanding that gaming is not THAT mainstream, just those games are) so they begin thinking this is all what westerners want, ignoring their original markets in the west.  They begin to "westernize" their titles which previously sold well in the west(not understanding people liked them the way they were, just fix a few gripes, just don't make it another generic game with an known IP slapped on it), going to either third party devs who talk big and are willing to work within their (very low) budget or they open a US studio with the same criteria.   They penny pinch and crunch and have idiots who can "talk the talk" run the show until the game is a clusterfuck, while doing so they maintain their "hostile to western devs" attitude while making the game.  If the game doesn't get canned by then, they either find a bigger idiot than the previous to ruin the game, get marketing to take over design and direction of the game, or bring in people from japan with their 1980's development ethics into the mix.  After doing this for 3-5 bombs, they go skeleton keeping only the biggest assholes, and driving away the good talent(instead of laying them, since they would need to give them severance and such), three years later repeat the cycle again.  This isn't gonna end until one of the big boys in japan goes under.  

As for JRPGs in general, JRPGS even in japan(save FF and DQ) were predominantly middle ground games.  They weren't big budget blockblusters, and they weren't tiny casual games.  This gen of consoles took a big steaming shit on the middle ground, games were too expensive to make.  The alternative is wii, which isn't friendly to non first party devs, and handhelds which are a totally different market.  Some devs like Atlus were smart and figured out how to survive as a middle ground dev, but most of the big boys decided to drop their RPG franchises or attempt to "westernize" them of course in SE's case failing.  If you want my opinion on this, the middle ground we know is dead.  But someone will take its spot, indie devs.  In a few years from now download services will mature and dev tools made available to indie devs will get better.  JRPGs will come back, but expect new franchises and new developers to take mantle.
Sounds about right, ties in nicely with Inafune's  rants about  the fail that is the Japanese game industry.
Akanbe-

Cheap? I paid a lot for this hat!

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #41 on: June 03, 2011, 01:16:04 AM »

Developer: How can I make my game better?
Marketer: Put in more moe.
Developer: Genius. Somebody give this guy a raise.

Thankfully I have a big backlog already for when the shit hits the fan.  I really hope you're right Logick, about the indie developers eventually really coming into play.

"Karma is...secret top tier"~Starmongoose
PSN ID: Akanbe9
Pages: 1 2 [3] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: