Author Topic: Now is the perfect time for SEGA to announce the Shenmue HD Collection

Ivalice Alliance

• Valendia Knights of the Peace
  • RPGFan Survey Hero
  • Reinforcements? I am the reinforcements.
    • View Profile
    • Instagram
This is happening with so many games now and yet Shenmue didn't make enough money to stay afloat but so many people know about the game and if this were to happen, this collection would make a lot of money and hopefully see that long awaited Shenmue III.  Duke Nukem Forever finally made it so.....
[Gamer, Collector] 🎮

PSN: Kenshin_EvoX
Steam, GOG & Xbox Live: Ivalice VKP

Currently Playing:

Waiting On: Shenmue III, Dragon Quest XI, Final Fantasy VII Remake, Resident Evil 2 Remake

Darklight

• View Profile
Hell yeah, i'm sure there are many that would be up for that. Without sounding too generic, the yakuza engine would be a good starting point. Shenmue 3 with revelations would be great. It's a difficult topic without sounding like an old Brat, but I think shenmue could hold it's own on an HD re-print

Eusis

• View Profile
Duke Nukem Forever finally made it so.....

I think people pointing out L.A. Noire is a far more compelling case for why this can actually make it than DNF.

CDFN

• View Profile
"Hey guys, here are HD remakes of the first 2 games of a trilogy that will never be concluded"

It would be pointless and when it comes to gameplay the games probably aged terribly.
Currently playing: Uncharted 3, Dark Souls, Team ICO Collection, Atelier Totori, Child of eden.

Ivalice Alliance

• Valendia Knights of the Peace
  • RPGFan Survey Hero
  • Reinforcements? I am the reinforcements.
    • View Profile
    • Instagram
I don't see how the gameplay has aged at all.
[Gamer, Collector] 🎮

PSN: Kenshin_EvoX
Steam, GOG & Xbox Live: Ivalice VKP

Currently Playing:

Waiting On: Shenmue III, Dragon Quest XI, Final Fantasy VII Remake, Resident Evil 2 Remake

CDFN

• View Profile
I don't see how the gameplay has aged at all.

QTEs aren't exactly the most popular gameplay mechanic are they? And the fighting engine is outdated compared to more contemporary games like yakuza.
Currently playing: Uncharted 3, Dark Souls, Team ICO Collection, Atelier Totori, Child of eden.

John

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • http://www.rpgfan.com
SPACE HARRIER HD, FUCK YEAH.

What?
THROW PICKLE IN BURGER TO SPEED UP COMMERCIAL

Yggdrasil

• Loathed by Six Heretics
  • Banninated
    • View Profile
SPACE HARRIER HD, FUCK YEAH.

What?

No man, that's the new Kid Icarus game IN 3D!!

insertnamehere

• View Profile
How would it be outdated compared to yakuza?
Most contemporary reviewers think even Yakuza has outdated and/or clunky gameplay.
It would be a good idea to announce Shenmue 3 and a collection simultaneously.
That would get people hyped for 3 and add to that, a lot of people have been pestering Sega to make it.
I think DNF was in development 10+ years and LA Noire about 7 years.
Hell's been frozen a lot recently.

I mostly pop in occasionally to give my two cents on certain controversial things, so if you disagree then send a PM, because I generally don't check for replies in threads in case I feel like replying and then things get heated/derailed.

Britton

• View Profile
I never even seen this game until just now, but my last play session with LA Noire it dawned on me that the gameplay is a lot lie Shenmue. I posted about it in the LA Noire thread. Shenmue point and clicky/hand to hand combat mixed with Uncharted gun fights. As for an HD Shenmue 1 and 2, I'd be all for it even if there were no conclusion. While I loved Shenmue, I never got to plat Shenmue 2.

CDFN

• View Profile
The yakuza series is a natural evolution of the foundations created by shenmue. Yakuza 4 is an excellent game and sales in the west were miserable, why would it be any different for an ancient game that served as a template for it? I think people are overestimating the franchise's popularity. When shenmue 2 was released on the xbox it was ignored and the game was relatively recent at the time.
I guess I'm frustrated because yakuza 4 is such an amazing game, better than the shenmue games by a landslide and most people ignore it. It gives us everything we could possibly want from a shenmue 3, you don't see how shenmue's story ends but you experience one that is a 100 times more interesting.

I'm not saying I'm against the idea, obviously. I'm just saying that it doesn't make much sense for sega, specially considering that they have a similar franchise on the market which has been consistently great but is ignored by western gamers.

Jonathan Ingram

• Banninated
    • View Profile
Without sounding too generic, the yakuza engine would be a good starting point.

I doubt Sega would bother though. Yakuza games make money, Shenmue didn`t. So, they`d always choose to make another Yakuza game over Shenmue given the option.

insertnamehere

• View Profile
I'd think it would appeal to a similar crowd, though.
It could be marketed closely to Yakuza.

I mostly pop in occasionally to give my two cents on certain controversial things, so if you disagree then send a PM, because I generally don't check for replies in threads in case I feel like replying and then things get heated/derailed.

CDFN

• View Profile

That was my point, yakuza's sales outside of japan are poor.

Darklight

• View Profile

That was my point, yakuza's sales outside of japan are poor.

This is true, now if Sega spent some money and research on marketing for once, Maybe we could see something evolve. I wouldn't have touched Yakuza games til i'd read the thread here, not saying everyones like me. It feels like the western audience is being ignored like the late 80's. But anyway, it's a valid topic and I can dream