Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 20, 2014, 05:54:43 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz!
Persona 3 FES Quiz is now OVER!
Winner was user: Monsoon!
334409 Posts in 13701 Topics by 2200 Members
Latest Member: Rgeneb1
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  The Rest
| |-+  General Discussions
| | |-+  PlayStation Vita Announced (Feb 22, $249/$299 for WiFi/3G+WiFI) + some games
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 Print
Author Topic: PlayStation Vita Announced (Feb 22, $249/$299 for WiFi/3G+WiFI) + some games  (Read 14786 times)
Kevadu

Some guy

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #135 on: February 04, 2012, 04:05:23 PM »

Man, I called all the Gamestops in Seattle and nobody is getting any until the 15th :(

What's the deal, neglecting a whole city...

Edit:  Re-reading most post it didn't seem obvious that I was talking about the demo units.  Obviously it launches when it does...
« Last Edit: February 05, 2012, 04:06:51 AM by Kevadu » Logged

Yoda
Son of Dad

Darkness is Void; Juffo-Wup is light

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #136 on: February 06, 2012, 01:50:55 AM »

I was at a gamestop and tried one out today. Screen is BEAUTIFUL and I played gravity rush for a few min. I'm not sure how all the demos it had were stored on the system but the loading time from selecting the game on the main screen to the time I was at the start menu was wayyyy long. Probably almost a minute. Pretty long for gaming on the go.

System is beautiful and feels nice to hold, but it had a clunky lock thing on it so that threw me off a bit. The analogs remind me of playing with hard nipples.

Were you able to make use of the back touch screen or did that clunky lock thing lock you out?

Touch screen was touchable. I didn't have cause to use it the 5 min I was messing around. The screen was ugly fromTONS of fingerprint marks. That's going to be a problem since all the "home" menu stuff is done by touch
Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #137 on: February 06, 2012, 04:28:18 AM »

Touch screen was touchable. I didn't have cause to use it the 5 min I was messing around. The screen was ugly fromTONS of fingerprint marks. That's going to be a problem since all the "home" menu stuff is done by touch

It's why having it only one way annoys me (well, and in case something happens to the screen). Maybe I'd rather NOT messing with my screen, especially when I'll just play a PSP game or something. Then again, this isn't like the DSi/3DS ignoring non-stylus input at times, or the Wii ignoring a plugged in GC despite the fact it'll recognize the Classic Controller, I don't need to pull out the stylus (or take a chance with my finger tip), nor do I need to have power to my Wii Remote to play a GC game, there isn't even the angle of losing it since if you lost your FINGERS I doubt playing the Vita is much of a priority!

Then again, you might be wearing gloves for cold weather and they're not working. They have made gloves friendly to capacitive touch screens, but it'd be annoying to play a non-touch enabled game.
Lard

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #138 on: February 07, 2012, 09:39:34 PM »

http://kotaku.com/5883089/sony-you-wont-be-able-to-bring-psp-discs-to-vita

No plan to allow any sort of PSP game play or transfer on Vita.

If you want to play PSP games, buy them again.

This feels like when Sony took BC out of the PS3 just so they could re-sell us PS2 games.

I avoid online multiplayer because my brain still works.
Dice
Super Happy Fun Super Girl
AMG A GIRL

Tawdry Hepburn

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #139 on: February 07, 2012, 09:40:42 PM »

Yet the smart businessman still gets the money.

http://society6.com/Dice963
http://www.redbubble.com/people/dice9633

Support your local Dice (and pitch her ideas)!
Kevadu

Some guy

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #140 on: February 07, 2012, 10:06:20 PM »

http://kotaku.com/5883089/sony-you-wont-be-able-to-bring-psp-discs-to-vita

No plan to allow any sort of PSP game play or transfer on Vita.

If you want to play PSP games, buy them again.

This feels like when Sony took BC out of the PS3 just so they could re-sell us PS2 games.

I honestly don't give a shit.

First of all, "If you want to play PSP games, buy them again" is ridiculously untrue, since if you bought your games digitally in the first place they'll work just fine.  It's not like we didn't know this was coming...

Before anyone claims "but Japan got the passport program", the passport program was a complete mess.  The number of titles supported was tiny, the amount of money publishers wanted for them was excessive (sometimes almost as much as just buying the game normally...), and the whole thing seemed broken and ripe for abuse from the start. 

Why do people feel entitled to get a second copy (yes, it's a second copy...there's absolutely nothing Sony can do to keep you from selling your UMD version after getting the digital one...) of their games on a different medium?  Can you name any other example of any company anywhere doing that sort of thing?  If you bought a movie on DVD does that entitle you to a discounted blu-ray version?  If you have a big UMD collection you probably have a PSP to play them on...get over it.

Sorry for coming off as hostile...I'm not really ranting at anyone here just ranting at the general attitude I keep seeing on various other sites.  People are acting like the sky is falling when I have a hard time imagining any other outcome...

Dice
Super Happy Fun Super Girl
AMG A GIRL

Tawdry Hepburn

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #141 on: February 07, 2012, 10:12:31 PM »

I'm personally skipping bluray to wait for whatever-the-shit comes out after it.  Hell, maybe not even then... don't wanna have to start my collection over.... again.

I agree 100% Kevadu.  You're not being forced into this, and my PSP still works.  I'll like Digi-downloads once it goes kaput though.

http://society6.com/Dice963
http://www.redbubble.com/people/dice9633

Support your local Dice (and pitch her ideas)!
Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #142 on: February 08, 2012, 12:21:28 AM »

Can you name any other example of any company anywhere doing that sort of thing?

Valve.

Though, apparently individual UMDs ARE identifiable by the PSN so you couldn't keep using the same one for discounts for everyone, not unless they simply tracked by IP/system or something and people failed to test more thoroughly. Either way though quite a few big companies like SE, Konami, Capcom, and I think Falcom didn't support this, and the ones I want to convert most come from those ANYWAY so the feature would've been only useful to... I dunno, get a reasonably priced digital copy of Jeanne d'Arc at best?

I'm hoping for a few major PSP sales instead, that'd be preferable since they'd probably charge as much as if they brought this over, but without needing a UMD.
John
Administrator

DeceptiJohn
View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #143 on: February 08, 2012, 04:49:16 PM »

So apparently Amazon.ca broke the street date on the vita units.  I am paying the $50 early tax to get it in a week, but at least I'm getting a case and a (likely mediocre) game.

THROW PICKLE IN BURGER TO SPEED UP COMMERCIAL
John
Administrator

DeceptiJohn
View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #144 on: February 15, 2012, 07:28:59 PM »

Yay, PSVita is here!  It is fancy.

Great screen, touch is not as big a deal on the menu as people are making it out to be.  Gorgeous - Uncharted looks better than several next-generation titles.  I will have to get used to the analog sticks, both their placement and their short throw, and I will need to get used to the smaller buttons - the face buttons and d-pad are smaller than those on the PSP or Dual Shock.

THROW PICKLE IN BURGER TO SPEED UP COMMERCIAL
Lucca
AMG A GIRL

SUGAR PEAS!

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #145 on: February 25, 2012, 04:58:34 PM »

I considered getting the 3G version...until I saw AT&T's pricing plans. 15 a month for 250 MEGS? 30 for 3 gigs? That's like a game a month! Are you kidding me?

Keeper! Is the Vita worth the plunge?

Britton

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #146 on: February 25, 2012, 05:05:33 PM »

I bought the Wi Fi version (3G is expensive and apparently SLOW) and 4 games. I was amazed to get it all and see the games are not disc based, but card based, much like an SD card or more accurately smaller TG-16 game cards. The visuals are phenomenal and there's a ton of features. I like that it has trophies. I got Uncharted which is great, dungeon Hunter Alliance which is good if not samey, Hot Shots Golf which is good, and the best one of the bunch IMO Rayman Origins. I really hope Ruin gets released here.
ZeronHitaro

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #147 on: February 25, 2012, 05:09:22 PM »

I'm heavily considering getting one since it plays PSP games if I heard right. The only thing holding me back is having to pay full price for those titles since digital has zero resale value. XP Darn you Corpse Party...
Lucca
AMG A GIRL

SUGAR PEAS!

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #148 on: February 26, 2012, 08:48:05 PM »

I'm heavily considering getting one since it plays PSP games if I heard right. The only thing holding me back is having to pay full price for those titles since digital has zero resale value. XP Darn you Corpse Party...

Be forwarned on one thing! I got my Vita today and discovered to my horror that PS1 games you bought over PSN don't work...at least not  yet, according to Sony.

PSP games look and play just fine though. Most my games are downloads because I figured this is the direction Sony is going thanks to the PSPGo.

The near app is awesome! I logged on and already found 15+ people and got 2 prizes from people as a result.

ZeronHitaro

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #149 on: February 27, 2012, 09:33:04 AM »

Kinda glad I changed my plans and got a PSP Go then. XD Gamestop dropped the prices of all 'new' models down to used values since the Vita came out. So I got a brand spanking new Go for $90. Pretty much using it for the same thing I would with a Vita; only for about $240 less.
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: