Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 02, 2014, 12:45:57 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz!
Subject: Persona 3: FES
Prize: $20 eShop, PSN or Steam code
Date: 3rd October 2014 Time: 16:00 EST
332937 Posts in 13642 Topics by 2191 Members
Latest Member: Zaltys
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  The Rest
| |-+  General Discussions
| | |-+  PlayStation Vita Announced (Feb 22, $249/$299 for WiFi/3G+WiFI) + some games
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 11 Print
Author Topic: PlayStation Vita Announced (Feb 22, $249/$299 for WiFi/3G+WiFI) + some games  (Read 14686 times)
Kevadu

Some guy

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: June 09, 2011, 06:23:04 AM »

Vita likely region free.  Eat that Nintendo.

CDFN

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: June 09, 2011, 08:47:02 AM »

Very, very cool. I guess we can expect that from every sony console in the future.

Currently playing: Uncharted 3, Dark Souls, Team ICO Collection, Atelier Totori, Child of eden.
Fadedsun

Sunny Summoner

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: June 09, 2011, 10:33:39 AM »

I've never imported a handheld game, and probably never will, but it's a nice feature for the people that want to.

"Oh, a hunter..."
Alisha

Z0eila@hotmail.com Z0eila
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: June 09, 2011, 05:28:46 PM »

another nail in the 3DS coffin

“Normal is not something to aspire to, it's something to get away from.”
Fadedsun

Sunny Summoner

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: June 09, 2011, 06:21:22 PM »

another nail in the 3DS coffin

Don't make troll posts, please. I doubt the 3DS is going to have an early grave. Honestly,the majority of gamers do not care about a console being region free. People who import games are in a minority and will not help whether a console survives or dies.

"Oh, a hunter..."
Starmongoose
Contributing Editor

Vicious Feminist

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: June 09, 2011, 06:33:46 PM »

I care. ;_;

Japan

v <- Very little imports

North America

v <- Lots of imports

Europe

Though I think that is just a remnant of the feelings of frustration I have when I learn that games I want to play never got released over here and the system is region locked. Or I don't want to wait for some of the long wait times.

This is mostly changing now though and Europe has been starting to see games before North America (or in rare cases, games that North America doesn't even get).

SAVE THE PENGUIN!

Here to suck the fun out of games.
Serene Prophet

sereneprophet@yahoo.com sereneprophet
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: June 09, 2011, 07:34:05 PM »

Honestly to see the support so far I have high hopes.  Im not a big fan of the whole touch screen thing, or the 3D thing really, though I realize they need to justify new hardware besides OOH LOOK GRAPHICS since that is getting more and more, and harder and harder, to do.  Still, I have been wanting to grab myself a PSP, so I may just wait for this and see what psp games the PSN network has, since I know thanks to the GO there are some digital versions of games.

-Give a man a fire, and hes warm for a day.  Light a man on fire, and hes warm for the rest of his life.-
Kevadu

Some guy

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: June 10, 2011, 02:20:36 AM »

IGN has a playstation-centric podcast called Podcast Beyond.  I'm mentioning this because the latest episode they put up has SCE Worldwide Studios president Shuhei Yoshida on it talking about the Vita.

One interesting tidbit about the 3G option (and as far as I know this hasn't been mentioned anywhere else):  They are still working on the specifics of the data plans but there will not be a contract required and there will be multiple options including the possibility as pay-as-you-go service.  This has me actually considering the 3G version for the first time.  I don't see the Vita as a device that I will carry around everywhere so paying $30/month or whatever for 3G service would be absolutely ridiculous.  But if I'm just paying forr the amount of data I use and assuming the price is reasonable then that's something I can totally get behind.  Of course I need to see the specifics of what they are offering first.

CDFN

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: June 17, 2011, 05:47:22 PM »

The Vita is really impressive, there are just so many great features in there.

You can play games like wipeout online with people playing on the PS3.
If you download a psp game to the vita, some games like resistance retribution will automatically map the controls to the second analogue stick. It will also improve the visuals.
All the user created content for games like modnation racers and LBP will be available on the vita versions from day 1.

If you ask me what I think is missing from this machine I honestly don't know what to say, it just delivers in every possible way. They really seem to have put a lot of thought into it.

Currently playing: Uncharted 3, Dark Souls, Team ICO Collection, Atelier Totori, Child of eden.
Fei

!?

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #24 on: June 17, 2011, 09:17:00 PM »

Alisha, do you by chance only have one eye?

My favorite part of the Vita is that it will probably drop the price of the regular PSP, which I actually considered buying a few days ago.  There are just so many great looking games.  I don't look forward to anything PSP related it seems, but I do look backward to them. 

Seriously, the only thing I really like about the Vita itself is the 3G.  When I pull out my 3DS, the only thing that keeps it from being the perfect companion is lack of 3G.  A friend I hadn't seen in a few years said "I'm surprised you don't have a smart phone" when he saw my $45/mo unlimited talk/text walmart crap phone.  I replied "nah, I use this as my camera and music player" and pulled out my 3DS.  I told him that I balance my checkbook with it, and take the long routes everywhere because of its pedometer.

Not to derail, but I think the next iteration of 3DS will simply have 3-4G.  Definitely smart of the vita to use it.

If you re-spec your elduhz and own a Vita - http://twitter.com/BSNursery
CDFN

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #25 on: June 18, 2011, 08:53:11 AM »

http://uk.psp.ign.com/articles/117/1177042p1.html

Vita will be profitable from day one. Colour me surprised. Nintendo must be making a shitload of money with the 3DS if even the vita turns in a profit with that price.

Yoshida also talks about lots of other stuff.

Kevadu

Some guy

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #26 on: June 18, 2011, 10:15:51 AM »

Vita will be profitable from day one. Colour me surprised.

I don't see how you're getting that from the article.

IGN: So you're going to be profitable with each Vita sold?

Yoshida: We haven't completed the hardware development. It's like 98-percent done in terms of hardware, and on the system software side and network code, we have a few more months to work on that. We don't have the final-final answer to that question, but the way we are projecting it seems like we're going to do pretty well.

He kind of avoided the question, but it sounds to me like the Vita is being sold near-cost.  It's certainly not going to be sold with the kind of losses the PS3 was sold at initially, but it's pretty likely that it will be sold at a small loss at first.  Naturally it will become cheaper with time and likely reach profitability relativey soon.

Nintendo must be making a shitload of money with the 3DS if even the vita turns in a profit with that price.

I remember reading an estimate a while back that the 3DS only cost about $100 to manufacture.  Nintendo is being rather arrogant this generation.

CDFN

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #27 on: June 18, 2011, 11:01:03 AM »

Vita will be profitable from day one. Colour me surprised.

I don't see how you're getting that from the article.

IGN: So you're going to be profitable with each Vita sold?

Yoshida: We haven't completed the hardware development. It's like 98-percent done in terms of hardware, and on the system software side and network code, we have a few more months to work on that. We don't have the final-final answer to that question, but the way we are projecting it seems like we're going to do pretty well.

He kind of avoided the question, but it sounds to me like the Vita is being sold near-cost.  It's certainly not going to be sold with the kind of losses the PS3 was sold at initially, but it's pretty likely that it will be sold at a small loss at first.  Naturally it will become cheaper with time and likely reach profitability relativey soon.

Nintendo must be making a shitload of money with the 3DS if even the vita turns in a profit with that price.

I remember reading an estimate a while back that the 3DS only cost about $100 to manufacture.  Nintendo is being rather arrogant this generation.

Uh...

To answer your question, we set out a goal: Yes, we're going to hit the $250 price, and no, we don't want to sell the hardware with a deficit. That's a goal we set out to do and I'm very happy we are achieving that.

Kevadu

Some guy

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #28 on: June 18, 2011, 11:21:11 AM »

Uh...

To answer your question, we set out a goal: Yes, we're going to hit the $250 price, and no, we don't want to sell the hardware with a deficit. That's a goal we set out to do and I'm very happy we are achieving that.

It sounds to me like he's talking about future prospects.  I have no doubt they will be able to achieve profitability at that price point, but that doesn't mean that they're already there.

Obviously the IGN interviewer was also confused since he asked the question I quoted after that and Yoshida danced around it.  If he wanted to say that it's going to be profitable at launch why wouldn't he just say that?  In fact he specifically says, "We don't have the final-final answer to that question".  That implies that it's going to be close.  He certainly isn't saying that the Vita is definitely going to be profitable at launch.

CDFN

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #29 on: June 18, 2011, 12:25:42 PM »

Well, we can consider the possiblity that it breaks even which is different from turning in profit, but he clearly says that sony doesn't want to sell hardware with a deficit and that this objective will be achieved. Even if the profit is irrelevant or there isn't any at all, that's still pretty impressive considering the hardware. When they announced the price I was sure they were going to launch with a loss like they did with the PS3.

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 11 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: