Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 01, 2014, 08:16:26 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz!
Subject: Persona 3: FES
Prize: $20 eShop, PSN or Steam code
Date: 3rd October 2014 Time: 16:00 EST
332827 Posts in 13638 Topics by 2191 Members
Latest Member: Zaltys
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  The Rest
| |-+  General Discussions
| | |-+  PlayStation Vita Announced (Feb 22, $249/$299 for WiFi/3G+WiFI) + some games
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 Print
Author Topic: PlayStation Vita Announced (Feb 22, $249/$299 for WiFi/3G+WiFI) + some games  (Read 14678 times)
Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #120 on: December 31, 2011, 01:42:47 PM »

Does anyone know if we are able to hook this lovely new toy to the TV via component cables like the PSP? Thats the best part of the PSP hardware for me..... I do way too much "close" work to stare at a little screen.... Klyde's eyes just can't handle it.....

Nope, but the screen's one of the biggest yet for a portable system. It's 5 inches, so see if you can find a Galaxy Tab 5 in a store and if that size is agreeable for you.
Klyde Chroma
Lvl. 7 Fruity Ninja and Dincrest groupie

If Hitler was an introvert, he'd be me.

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #121 on: December 31, 2011, 04:16:20 PM »

Does anyone know if we are able to hook this lovely new toy to the TV via component cables like the PSP? Thats the best part of the PSP hardware for me..... I do way too much "close" work to stare at a little screen.... Klyde's eyes just can't handle it.....

Nope, but the screen's one of the biggest yet for a portable system. It's 5 inches, so see if you can find a Galaxy Tab 5 in a store and if that size is agreeable for you.

God does that suck..... even if the most stellar installment of my favorite franchise is on a handheld, I can't stand it..... Never could, and I have been gaming for 2 freakin' decades..... I had to pass up all the lovely J-RPGS of the gameboy incarnations for this very reason..... I can't draw and tattoo 8-12 hours a day and stare at those screens without suffering from what feels like severe head trauma...

Klyde Chroma / XBox Live Network
Triscal-Goddess / PSN
 Remember, DON'T do drugs... an owl will tear your face off.
Prime Mover

All's fair in love, war, and the recording studio

Shattre
View Profile WWW Email

Ignore
« Reply #122 on: December 31, 2011, 04:32:01 PM »

PSPs and Vita's are capable of hooking up to a TV right out of the box, it just becomes a controller. It doesn't quite fill the screen, but you basically get a console game.

I do miss the Nintendo TV hookups though. The DS will never see that because of the dual screen. I loved playing GBA games on the gamecube! Minish Cap and Zero Mission rocked!

eelhouse.net
- order the new album

Currently Playing: Metroid Prime 2, Trails in the Sky, Bioshock: Infinite
Currently Listening to: Devin Townsend, Dream Theater
Watching: Star Trek: TOS, Slayers, Doctor Who (as usual)
Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #123 on: December 31, 2011, 04:47:56 PM »

PSPs and Vita's are capable of hooking up to a TV right out of the box, it just becomes a controller.

If I already said it can't be done you should look it up before contradicting. It actually IS possible with a devkit, but you can't exactly buy that on store shelves.

Klyde: And that's why I suggested checking out the Galaxy Tab 5 if you could and see if that's big enough (alternatively a mall event for the Vita); you didn't have a screen this big for the last two decades of portable gaming either.
« Last Edit: December 31, 2011, 05:01:31 PM by Eusis » Logged
Prime Mover

All's fair in love, war, and the recording studio

Shattre
View Profile WWW Email

Ignore
« Reply #124 on: December 31, 2011, 04:57:26 PM »

Shit! Sorry, I totally missed that part of the thread! That is DICK! One of the best features of the PSP! Oh well, at least you can do it with a DevKit. But man, that list of Vita items was awful, totally takes the Vita from a "must have" to a "I'll have to wait and see".

FUCK!

eelhouse.net
- order the new album

Currently Playing: Metroid Prime 2, Trails in the Sky, Bioshock: Infinite
Currently Listening to: Devin Townsend, Dream Theater
Watching: Star Trek: TOS, Slayers, Doctor Who (as usual)
Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #125 on: December 31, 2011, 05:05:49 PM »

Yeah, I can't really deny that the news as of late makes the PSVita a lot less appealing. Though admittedly one of the reasons I'd like one sooner than later is a nice large screen for PSP games, and a higher res one for PS1 games at that, and if I wanted those alone I'd hook up a PSP to the TV (or in the case of PS1 games just play on the PS3), and I have to wait on PS1 games to be available anyway.
Agent D.

"Mage"nt D.

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #126 on: December 31, 2011, 06:37:49 PM »

I'm at a loss. I want the vita, but it seems like it may have to wait. The memory card fiasco and battery life are really aggravating. The games that are coming out right now don't interest me terribly, outside of mgs hd collection which i have on ps3 and 360 and maybe zoe collection. I think i may just opt to nab a new pc instead.

TASTY!
Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #127 on: December 31, 2011, 08:51:12 PM »

Depending on your interests just a few months may be enough. You get a few more games to play than if you got immediately at launch, there may be a sale or two to check out, and firmware updates may well make the system a bit better by then.
Kevadu

Some guy

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #128 on: January 05, 2012, 06:44:33 PM »

I'm surprised nobody is talking about the abysmal Vita sales...third week sales are in and they're even worse than the second week.  Only 42,000 units for new hardware is...awful.

Some dork named Kevadu wrote this analysis about why.

Ashton
Contributing Editor

Lawful Asshole

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #129 on: January 05, 2012, 08:30:58 PM »

Sony (and many developers) always had a policy of supporting their older consoles well after their newer consoles are released. It's something I support wholeheartedly because it just facilitates people buying into the next generation of systems much more easily. I mean, it's easier to go "Well, the PSP has run its course, but the PSVita's been out a while, and has a lot of stuff I might like" than "What? No more PSP games? Shit... better go get a Vita."

It's a better long term strategy than the short term bullshit most companies these days pull.

Yoda
Son of Dad

Darkness is Void; Juffo-Wup is light

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #130 on: January 05, 2012, 08:43:56 PM »

It's been a LONG time since I've been an early adopter on hardware. I just got a PS3 last summer along w/ a PSP. I got my 360 3 years or so into it's existence.

After getting burned on shit like the jaguar and the 3DO (actually my parents got burned on that! SORRY MOMMY AND DADDY LUV YA) I've learned my lesson.

I want this to be a success and if more great games come out I'll get it, but I've got uncharted 2 and 3 to play instead of some portable version. The only other game I'm really interested is that side scrolling action rpg, Dragon Crown or whatever, and that's coming out on PS3...

Also, the only time I'd play this is the fortress of solitude (the toilet) and the train to work. Last thing I want is some homeless psycho stealing this from me at 630am. (I live at the last stop on the line so all the bums get off the train and hop back on the one going south)

Also, I refuse to buy one until a cheap alternative comes out for the memory card.
Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #131 on: January 05, 2012, 09:09:52 PM »

I think I've only been seriously burned by the Virtual Boy... though, honestly, getting a system at launch and having nothing to play on it fucking sucks. At least the Wii had the VC quickly fill up, but otherwise getting a system at or very close to launch means having one or two games you REALLY want to play, maybe a few more that interest you, and a long dry period before the good games start rolling out. When you get a system hitting it's stride however it's amazing, getting the DS was one of the most memorable gaming experiences I've ever had.

I did need a Vita to make up for my PSP's screen going screwy, but thanks to the 3000 sales I have one of those now, so I'll just wait.
Kevadu

Some guy

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #132 on: January 05, 2012, 10:27:48 PM »

I did a follow-up post where I graphed the 3DS and Vita launch-period sales.  I like making graphs.

Supporting old hardware is nice and all, but I think in this case it goes beyond that.  In Japan the only good-looking post-launch Vita title is Gravity Daze and that might be too obscure to be a system-seller (though it looks like a great game).  Meanwhile the PSP is being flooded with titles.  I can't really blame the Japanese gamers for sticking with their PSPs.

Yoda
Son of Dad

Darkness is Void; Juffo-Wup is light

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #133 on: February 03, 2012, 05:48:21 PM »

I was at a gamestop and tried one out today. Screen is BEAUTIFUL and I played gravity rush for a few min. I'm not sure how all the demos it had were stored on the system but the loading time from selecting the game on the main screen to the time I was at the start menu was wayyyy long. Probably almost a minute. Pretty long for gaming on the go.

System is beautiful and feels nice to hold, but it had a clunky lock thing on it so that threw me off a bit. The analogs remind me of playing with hard nipples.
Aeolus
This is the Monado's Powerbomb!

Little did he know, the fall damage would KO him.

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #134 on: February 04, 2012, 10:25:18 AM »

I was at a gamestop and tried one out today. Screen is BEAUTIFUL and I played gravity rush for a few min. I'm not sure how all the demos it had were stored on the system but the loading time from selecting the game on the main screen to the time I was at the start menu was wayyyy long. Probably almost a minute. Pretty long for gaming on the go.

System is beautiful and feels nice to hold, but it had a clunky lock thing on it so that threw me off a bit. The analogs remind me of playing with hard nipples.

Were you able to make use of the back touch screen or did that clunky lock thing lock you out?

In my vision, I see that one of us is going to KO the other.
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: