Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
November 27, 2014, 02:51:40 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
We have a new board! Pop on over to the Game Journals section and tell us what you've been playing!
338633 Posts in 13861 Topics by 2215 Members
Latest Member: RPGtourguide
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  The Rest
| |-+  General Discussions
| | |-+  Stupid childhood misconceptions.
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 Print
Author Topic: Stupid childhood misconceptions.  (Read 10335 times)
Bytor
Ego Enhancement Consultant

Hiding in Inaba

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #120 on: June 25, 2011, 09:55:39 PM »

My cousins believed chocolate milk came from dark cows, I refused to buy that one evn at a young age, lol.

Everything's Eventual
Vanguard

I am America, and I hate JRPGs

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #121 on: June 25, 2011, 10:00:44 PM »

That seems reasonable.

Thoren: Astronomers fucking love stars and shit. Whitman was a bitch.
Hidoshi: Walt Whitman could beat you with both dicks tied behind his back.
Darklight

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #122 on: June 26, 2011, 11:07:56 PM »

I thought that the chairs at barbershops could be lifted all the way up into the ceiling, like in that old bugs bunny cartoon

Haha! Just read this :)

Dincrest
Spectrum
RPGFan Editor

Stumpy McGunder- thumps

View Profile WWW
« Reply #123 on: June 27, 2011, 01:59:37 PM »

How many of you believed that:

1) Teachers lived at school.  I used to think teachers lived at the school when I was very little, but even in high school when I knew teachers had external lives it was still weird seeing them out and about in town and not in the classroom. 

2) Adults were never kids, especially parents.  They were put on this Earth as adults from day 1.  There were times I'd backsass my mom with, "You were NEVER a kid!"  I probably used to think that because from day 1 of my life my parents were adults so I thought they started life that way. 

Next bike-a-thon: Diabetes Tour-de-Cure 2015
Vanguard

I am America, and I hate JRPGs

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #124 on: June 27, 2011, 02:14:44 PM »

I can sympathize with that, Dincrest. It's weird to think about your parents experiencing something they haven't before too, I think. My mom and I were talking in the last few months and she said she's not used to not having a bunch of kids around anymore (I have three siblings).

Thoren: Astronomers fucking love stars and shit. Whitman was a bitch.
Hidoshi: Walt Whitman could beat you with both dicks tied behind his back.
Sise-Neg

Conquerer of the Cosmos

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #125 on: June 28, 2011, 12:36:53 AM »

* The MMPR theme song was "Coco Power Rangers!" and not Go Go Power Rangers

* It was called a "Pack Pack" and not backpack.

* Every US bill was a single dollar. The numbers and faces were just designs to be fancy. If it had a 100 a 20 a 10 a 5 or a 1 it was always 1 dollar. Got me in trouble when my dad said I could take out a dollar for the ice cream truck and I went and just gave the guy a 20 and ran off after getting my ice cream.

* Mrs. Potts from Beauty and the Beast was real and she tried to kill me in my bed most nights

* My cousin and his friend who were about 4 years older than me convinced me when I was about 6 that if you light a match and it burns a paper plate successfully then the headless ghost would come kill you at night...I kept trying to sleep with my eyes open waiting for the headless ghost because I had no concept that fire would always destroy the paper plate DX They told me it was luck.

* In my parents' bathroom the window was directed toward our front yard and a street lamp reflected light on it. Well, the window was one of those ones that you couldn't see clear images on either side. It was bumpy and it was really only good for letting light enter the bathroom. Anyway, I was taken to church alot as a kid and became pretty superstitious about everything religiously symbolic. Therefore, at night when the street lamp reflected on the bathroom mirror and it made it look like a shining cross was glowing in the middle of black nothingness, I always thought that it was Jesus in another dimension and if I broke the window I'd get sucked out and absorbed by him. ...Don't ask me why because I don't know either.

*Girls went pee pee out of their bums.

*Sticking my tongue out was more offensive to people than anything else in the world.

* Face from Nick Jr. was a real person

* The Water Spirit from the Are You Afraid of the Dark episode 'Tale of the Dead Man's Float' was real and he would kill me in the pool if I went in alone...especially in the deep end.
« Last Edit: June 28, 2011, 01:02:29 AM by Sise-Neg » Logged

Admin of The Legaia Wiki: legaia.wikia.com

Starmongoose
Contributing Editor

Smiley Abuser

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #126 on: June 28, 2011, 10:44:10 AM »

* Mrs. Potts from Beauty and the Beast was real and she tried to kill me in my bed most nights

Lost it. xD

Apparently I had a crush on Belle as a child. I think my parents took this too seriously (I probably just liked her dress and the fact she read books) and when I came out they said "We had wondered, but since you had a crush on Belle - we put it out of our minds." I WAS TWO YEARS OLD MOTHER.

SAVE THE PENGUIN!

Here to suck the fun out of games.
Darklight

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #127 on: July 06, 2011, 01:29:48 AM »

Misconceptions?? Well I never thought I was straight,, oops

My sister had a misconception, She thought i'd believe her when she explained that a plane she was on jhad broken down, stopped on a cloud and the thunderbirds came to pick them up. And i'm younger then her, wadda spazz, I played along with it feeling sorry for her.
Sise-Neg

Conquerer of the Cosmos

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #128 on: July 11, 2011, 12:47:27 PM »

Lost it. xD

Apparently I had a crush on Belle as a child. I think my parents took this too seriously (I probably just liked her dress and the fact she read books) and when I came out they said "We had wondered, but since you had a crush on Belle - we put it out of our minds." I WAS TWO YEARS OLD MOTHER.

I had a crush on Belle, too! When I was asked by my parents what kind of girl I wanted to marry when I grew up I said "I'm gonna marry Belle!". Then when I was about 8 years old I went to Disneyland and saw one of the people working at Disneyland dressed up like Belle and I ran up and gave her a hug and got a picture with her. lol

Admin of The Legaia Wiki: legaia.wikia.com

Commander Jubby Shepard
What do you call a kid with no arms and an eye patch? Names.

If you come back you will find me a very grave man

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #129 on: July 17, 2011, 02:24:46 AM »

When I turned 10 I'd get my letter to Hogwarts and finally learn how to use my magical powers to their fullest extents (for whatever reason, I thought I could communicate with the dead for a month or two and that contributed to this). When my parents said Hogwarts was fictional, I just dismissed it as them being muggles that didn't understand.

If it'll hold Jello, Utah will put Jello in it.
Starmongoose
Contributing Editor

Smiley Abuser

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #130 on: July 17, 2011, 07:19:11 AM »

I used to think trutles were like Hermit crabs, and they just wandered into a shell when they were babies and grew inside of it.

SAVE THE PENGUIN!

Here to suck the fun out of games.
Bytor
Ego Enhancement Consultant

Hiding in Inaba

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #131 on: July 18, 2011, 12:44:29 AM »

I'm old...the "Force" was real...and with enough concentration I could harness it.

Everything's Eventual
Darklight

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #132 on: July 18, 2011, 10:36:46 PM »

I thought when you split you head open, it would look like a tin of baked beans with the lid open and bent over. I fractured my skull, my mother said "you've split you head open" I pictured myself as an open tin of beans. This was before pre-school so I would have been about 3.

I think every kid thought that ACME was a real company that made explosives for blowing up coyotes, I did
SonicDeathMonkey

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #133 on: July 20, 2011, 02:56:36 PM »

* The Water Spirit from the Are You Afraid of the Dark episode 'Tale of the Dead Man's Float' was real and he would kill me in the pool if I went in alone...especially in the deep end.

lmao

That episode used to scare the shit out of me as a kid. Totally made me scared of pools for a while.
AYAOTD has come up in conversation on several occasions in the past few years, as a lot of people in my age bracket watched it as a kid, and I always mention that episode as the scariest, but no one ever remembers it. So uh, cheers I guess.

My parents were both teachers, so that ruined the whole teachers-living-at-school thing for me.
The adults always being adults thing is weird though. I seem to remember vaguely thinking of my parents as a "mom" and a "dad," like those were distinct things from what I was and other people were. I think it's kinda difficult for young children to even go about thinking about that type of stuff properly at their age, I mean they don't even understand the concept of reproduction very well, and they've never witnessed anyone age.
Dincrest
Spectrum
RPGFan Editor

Stumpy McGunder- thumps

View Profile WWW
« Reply #134 on: July 22, 2011, 04:42:24 AM »

Darklight- Acme is a real company.  There are Acme grocery stores all over southern New Jersey where I live.  Nothing explodey, though.

And tell me this hasn't happened to any of you: You've seen one grandma fairly often (say your maternal grandma) and when your dad says "We're going to see grandma!" you think, "Yay, I love grandma" then you see his mother for the first time and she's an unfamiliar old lady and you're like, "that's not grandma!" 

In other words, it took me a long time to grasp the structure of family trees.  That although you only have one mom and one dad, you have two grandmas and two grandpas.   

Next bike-a-thon: Diabetes Tour-de-Cure 2015
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: