Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 23, 2014, 04:21:12 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz
Next Quiz Date: January 11, 2014
Subject: 999 (Nintendo DS)
For more information click HERE!
319660 Posts in 13044 Topics by 2145 Members
Latest Member: aew0
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  The Rest
| |-+  General Discussions
| | |-+  Stupid childhood misconceptions.
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] Print
Author Topic: Stupid childhood misconceptions.  (Read 9259 times)
Commander Jubby Shepard
What do you call a kid with no arms and an eye patch? Names.

If you come back you will find me a very grave man

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #135 on: July 22, 2011, 04:46:36 AM »

I know what you mean. I have three grandmas at any given time (one coupling divorced, followed by a remarriage, followed by another remarriage after the second wife died) and I always just figured that the new ones were aunts. I also thought the third marriage person was a pretzel maker for some reason.

If it'll hold Jello, Utah will put Jello in it.
SonicDeathMonkey

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #136 on: July 22, 2011, 12:05:14 PM »

Both my grandfathers died before I was born, and I knew and visited both grandmothers quite frequently so that totally didn't happen to me. Pretty much made sense to me, one is mom's mom and  one is dad's mom. lol

I remember thinking that "yellow" was pronounced "lellow," and getting mad when people told me otherwise. Like I thought everyone was messing with me, trying to get me to say it wrong. What an idiot.
Azrael

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #137 on: July 22, 2011, 01:16:58 PM »

And tell me this hasn't happened to any of you: You've seen one grandma fairly often (say your maternal grandma) and when your dad says "We're going to see grandma!" you think, "Yay, I love grandma" then you see his mother for the first time and she's an unfamiliar old lady and you're like, "that's not grandma!" 

In other words, it took me a long time to grasp the structure of family trees.  That although you only have one mom and one dad, you have two grandmas and two grandpas.   

That's really crazy actually to think about. That really never happened to me because I lived with one set of my grandparents for a couple of years, and spent entire summers with the others (they lived in another country) from childhood, but it's pretty interesting to think of it in that way. It makes sense for sure though if you're really separated from one side of the family.
Sise-Neg

Conquerer of the Cosmos

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #138 on: July 22, 2011, 03:04:46 PM »

I remember thinking that "yellow" was pronounced "lellow," and getting mad when people told me otherwise. Like I thought everyone was messing with me, trying to get me to say it wrong. What an idiot.

My little sister would say lellow also, and would also get mad if people told her it was yellow. And also green was actually greem, and spaghetti was called pissghetti.

Admin of The Legaia Wiki: legaia.wikia.com

Tomara

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #139 on: July 22, 2011, 03:34:03 PM »

And tell me this hasn't happened to any of you: You've seen one grandma fairly often (say your maternal grandma) and when your dad says "We're going to see grandma!" you think, "Yay, I love grandma" then you see his mother for the first time and she's an unfamiliar old lady and you're like, "that's not grandma!" 

Ours were clearly labeled. First there were regular grandma and grandpa. They lived near the school and we sometimes ate lunch there. Then there was Granny West, my dad's mother. She lived on the other side of the country (in the Westland -> Granny West) so we only saw her a few times a year. When we went there, lots of other relatives would come over as well. My dad had nine siblings so the living room was always crowded with uncles and aunts. Not many children our age though, so visiting Granny West was very boring...

Great place to earn some pocket money though. Our uncles basically gave us cash to bother other uncles.

"I'll give you a guilder if pull out one of uncles ****'s nosehairs!"

"The one who makes the loudest handfart gets a quarter!"

"One guilder for you if you can put salt in his coffee without him noticing!"

Starmongoose
Contributing Editor

Vicious Feminist

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #140 on: July 22, 2011, 03:45:22 PM »

Funny thing that I did as a child and not sure why, or even if I noticed I did it - on my mothers side my grandfathers were Papa (My mothers father, my mothers step father and my great grandfather). While on my Dad's side, it was Grandpa. All my grandmothers were just "Gran" though.

My aunts name is Janet, but I guess I found that hard to say as a kid, so I call her "Aunt Net" to this day.

Weirdly, my little cousin calls my father "Uncle Piko". His name is Fraser. WE HAVE NO IDEA WHERE THAT CAME FROM.

SAVE THE PENGUIN!

Here to suck the fun out of games.
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: