Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 21, 2014, 08:01:50 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz!
Persona 3 FES Quiz is now OVER!
Winner was user: Monsoon!
334625 Posts in 13705 Topics by 2200 Members
Latest Member: Rgeneb1
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Single-Player RPGs
| | |-+  Dragon's Crown (Vanillaware RPG, now 2013 all regions) announced for PS3/Vita
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 32 Print
Author Topic: Dragon's Crown (Vanillaware RPG, now 2013 all regions) announced for PS3/Vita  (Read 39056 times)
Ashton
Contributing Editor

Lawful Asshole

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #90 on: April 23, 2013, 06:02:24 PM »

People need to find better things to complain about. First world problems.

Dice
Super Happy Fun Super Girl
AMG A GIRL

Tawdry Hepburn

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #91 on: April 23, 2013, 06:51:09 PM »

To be fair, the designs are a bit over-the-top even for Vanillaware.

Consider it a female fault for having a sexualized body then. The only real difference here is the amount of skin showing I guess.
How come no one complained about Jessica Rabbit?

A Kotaku poster said it best:
This game features both dichotomies. You have the roided up Amazon and Dwarf, the svelt Rogue and Wizard, the buxom Sorceress and properly attired Knight. All of the characters feature extremely exaggerated forms like all Vanillaware games

It's almost ironic and humourous seeing so many fellas aghast of a bouncy witch while I defend it (in the name of art???).

While I do think they had an intention to be ridiculous, and while I usually like Jason Schreier, I agree... he's missing the point because he's busy eating a bag of dicks as Astrot fondly pointed out.

http://society6.com/Dice963
http://www.redbubble.com/people/dice9633

Support your local Dice (and pitch her ideas)!
Aeolus
This is the Monado's Powerbomb!

Little did he know, the fall damage would KO him.

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #92 on: April 23, 2013, 10:17:43 PM »

Honestly though, Vanillaware in general are a lot better about female representation in video games than most video game developers. Pretty much every game they've done not only has female protagonists, but female protagonists that exist for reasons other than the game's main character to shack up with. Granted they're not as tasteful as they could be but its a far cry better than say Liberation Maiden ever did or will ever do.

Edit: And while I'm here, lets talk about something more important than just how stacked the Necromancer is/isn't by discussing the western release date instead (yes, I know that its on the front page but it hasn't been brought up in the thread yet).
« Last Edit: April 23, 2013, 10:23:49 PM by Aeolus » Logged

In my vision, I see that one of us is going to KO the other.
Yoda
Son of Dad

Darkness is Void; Juffo-Wup is light

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #93 on: April 24, 2013, 12:13:17 AM »

People need to find better things to complain about. First world problems.

It's a videogame forum. It'd be weird if I complained about the public transit in my city here.
Yggdrasil

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #94 on: April 24, 2013, 12:24:58 AM »

^Yeah but the whole thing of I'm offended because boobs. *angrily cross arms* is pretty dumb in this case.
Agent D.

"Mage"nt D.

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #95 on: April 24, 2013, 12:38:30 AM »

Coming from a guy who generally picks a female character because she's attractive, I don't think these designs are very attractive at all. Thank god the game looks fun overall, cuz tits hemmingway and the a-boobilicous-man-azon are seriously disgusting looking characters. The archer chick looks pretty cool though.

Honestly, I think the sorceress' chest is so huge because she stuffs her bra with scrolls....

TASTY!
Ashton
Contributing Editor

Lawful Asshole

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #96 on: April 24, 2013, 01:10:31 PM »

It's a videogame forum. It'd be weird if I complained about the public transit in my city here.
That's not what I meant. If you want to talk about the art being aesthetically or stylistically displeasing, that's fine. But that's not what this is about. People are continually whining about character art in a video game. Let us analyze this in its entirety. There seem to be to groups of people that are angry about this at.

The first group is claiming it objectifies women. There are mountains and mountains of media and sites that objectify men and get away with it with barely a raised eyebrow - why is this? Because everyone realizes this is fantasy escapism and anybody who attributes any of this to real life is not right in the head. Am I to believe that the fans of Twilight, trashy romance novels, and the sort really want that stuff to be real? Of course not. By the same token, while some guys may gawk at big chested women, there is a similar disconnect in fantasy and reality. Nobody with all their marbles is going to look at their partner and say "you don't look like such and such character in such and such work. Lets break up."

Then there's the argument that the muscle bound dwarf caters to a male power fantasy. I find it hilariously, almost insultingly ironic that in the same breath where these people scream about objectifying women and how women shouldn't need to feel a certain way about their body they are telling ME how I should feel about MY body, and what I want MY body to look like (and I most certainly do NOT want to look like the dwarf). I mean, do these people fucking listen to themselves? There's also the fact that these people want to allow women to express their sexuality in an way they deem fit - be it sleeping with whoever eh want, writing erotic novels, and/or drawing naked guys doing naked stuff. Why, then, do they seem so intent on shaming people who enjoy this, calling the designers adolescents and engaging in name calling, then getting defensive as hell after the art director rightfully retaliates?

The second group just doesn't want to be looked down on for playing this game. But then is it different from playing a Pokemon game in public? How about a Phoenix Wright game? Any anime game? Even Persona 4, a mature rated game, has stuff that may embarrass you in public (i got a bit uncomfortable when Rise, a 14 year old girl, started ofling me in the game while i was on public transit). You assume this is a problem limited only to this game where it's something you face with almost all games (particularly Japense made games, which have specific tastes in mind). There's really no use complaining about it in that capacity.

In short, it just reeks of actively looki for something to be offended by, rather than an assessment of the art style itself, and exposes a lot of the bigotry inherent in people.

Dincrest
Spectrum
RPGFan Editor

Stumpy McGunder- thumps

View Profile WWW
« Reply #97 on: April 24, 2013, 05:24:57 PM »

Publicity's publicity, Dragon's Crown is getting attention, and hopefully it's as fun as Odin Sphere but less repetitive, more balanced, and with minimal slowdown.  If that's the case, then it's all good in my book. 

But if I play the amazon character, I will probably grunt "snu snu" with every kill because I'm 8 years old. 

Next bike-a-thon: Diabetes Tour-de-Cure 2015
Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #98 on: April 24, 2013, 05:38:18 PM »

Tycho touches on this, and there's a comic to go with it.
Klutz64

Meow Meow Choco-Chow!

RebornThief
View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #99 on: April 24, 2013, 05:59:49 PM »

Literally could not have said it better myself. Love the bit about the title text.
Starmongoose
Contributing Editor

Vicious Feminist

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #100 on: April 24, 2013, 06:10:22 PM »

@Ashton: Because no one makes fun of Twilight or the author Stephanie Meyer? Last I checked she and the people who love her work were the laughing stock of the Internet.

I'm not angry about what Dragon Crown's art looks like. I'm not offended by it nor do I think it's sexist (a lot of gamers are sexist though). I do think however they are so extremely disfigured that it becomes distracting. Where is the character with the impossibly sized feet? Or maybe one whose ears are large enough for flight.

Nope, boobs, thighs, muscles and ass are being exaggerated, the sexual stuff. Is it wrong for a game to be sexual? Not at all. If your intent is for your game to also be a little bit of masturbatory material on the side, go ahead. Don't expect it to appeal to me though, and it isn't immature or whatever to want to discuss the reasons why on an internet forum designed for such things.

SAVE THE PENGUIN!

Here to suck the fun out of games.
Dice
Super Happy Fun Super Girl
AMG A GIRL

Tawdry Hepburn

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #101 on: April 24, 2013, 06:15:27 PM »

http://25.media.tumblr.com/4fe6e0ee5a5fd5bd688fd73ac8530a2a/tumblr_mlpse5Ia6y1qfe9fvo1_400.jpg
Yum

http://society6.com/Dice963
http://www.redbubble.com/people/dice9633

Support your local Dice (and pitch her ideas)!
Kevadu

Some guy

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #102 on: April 24, 2013, 11:05:25 PM »

It's like I'm looking in a mirror!

OK, in all seriousness about the game I still can't decide whether to get it for Vita or PS3.  I was leaning towards Vita at first, seemed like a nice thing to be able to play on the go, but when I heard that they don't even have cross-play...I don't know anymore.  Is anyone else even going to get this on Vita?  Or will I be stuck forever alone...

Not that I'm a big multiplayer gamer in the first place, but this seemed like it would be a nice title to pow around with some friends.  Or RPGFanners.

Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #103 on: April 25, 2013, 12:51:58 AM »

Hopefully you can at least buy as a bundle digitally at a deep discount. Not as if they'd include a manual with the Vita version anyway, though it may be a shame to miss on the PS3 front unless Atlus doesn't bother there either now.
Yoda
Son of Dad

Darkness is Void; Juffo-Wup is light

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #104 on: April 25, 2013, 01:23:06 AM »

Starmongoose is sammiched in the middle there.
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 32 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: