Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 23, 2014, 11:46:23 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz
Next Quiz Date: January 11, 2014
Subject: 999 (Nintendo DS)
For more information click HERE!
319601 Posts in 13044 Topics by 2145 Members
Latest Member: aew0
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Single-Player RPGs
| | |-+  Dragon's Crown (Vanillaware RPG, now 2013 all regions) announced for PS3/Vita
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 32 Print
Author Topic: Dragon's Crown (Vanillaware RPG, now 2013 all regions) announced for PS3/Vita  (Read 27666 times)
Dice
Super Happy Fun Super Girl
AMG A GIRL

Tawdry Hepburn

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #105 on: April 25, 2013, 01:45:16 AM »

Pssh, it's all three of us, what are you saying.

And Kevadu, I am DOWN. :)

http://society6.com/Dice963
Support your local Dice (and pitch her ideas)!
PotRoast

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #106 on: April 25, 2013, 10:21:02 AM »

I think Dragon's Crown's character designs are incredible. Completely over-the-top, exaggerated, and unrealistic. They are so cartoonish that they border on ugly, but it's almost as if by straddling that line, they come out with something very unique and interesting. I'll probably give this one a shot, even though I didn't like Odin's Sphere because I'm a sucker for games with interesting aesthetics.

The discussion surrounding this game also reminds me why I think Anita Sarkeesian has probably had a net negative effect on the discussion of gender and their tropes in video games. It's nice that someone brought it to the forefront (a positive), but the direction Anita pushed it in is very one-sided, skewing the discussion and affecting many people's ability to really think critically about video games (a negative). I don't know, maybe this is just growing pains we'll move out of in a couple years and we'll really start seeing a more nuanced approach to such issues.
Yggdrasil

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #107 on: April 25, 2013, 12:04:11 PM »

I can't stand Anita Sarkeesian and all of the videos I've seen of her are terrible. And I wouldn't give her any credit for "bringing up the topic" because she only caused more problems than anything else by the way she presented said topic.

Honesly, she has always seemed like a close-minded, annoying person to me.
Dice
AMG A GIRL

Tawdry Hepburn

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #108 on: April 25, 2013, 12:21:24 PM »

I liked a few of her ideas.  The fact Zelda plays a backstage role in 95% of titles (besides that idiot-job she had as a ghost in Spirit Tracks) is really silly for a character who can kick as much/more ass than Link in Smash Bros.  But it's a male market?  I'd still love a Zelda title that lets you perhaps play as both of them (and maybe open up the plot to something other than a "rescue the princess" one; it certainly worked for Majora's Mask).  Though Princess Peach's one time to shine was a game based around her crazy-exasperating emotions.  Despite all that though, I don't care about her being a "hero"

I am curious for all these negative reactions against Dragon's Crown art nonetheless.  But I suppose it's the "overdrawn" nature of the characters that upsets people (and the amount of skin showing on the females).  I thought the witch's walking animation was as bad as it got in terms of a "bounce-factor" when they showed her attack showcase.  But in any case, Odette from Odin Sphere was an even more exaggerated character (her nipple is practically hanging out).

And I'm surprised in this case that no one really calls attention to how you'll see tits in about another 90% of shows on HBO.

....when is Anita doing another video anyways?  I thought she was doing a few episodes (hell, she got paid up *a lot* for it).

Dice
AMG A GIRL

Tawdry Hepburn

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #109 on: April 25, 2013, 04:57:47 PM »

Oh man, I laughed
http://i.imgur.com/yJehqzZ.png
J. Schreier responds and makes a mistake, hilarity ensues...picture related:

Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #110 on: April 25, 2013, 06:48:10 PM »

He MIGHT have had a point about the face until you remember that's kind of how a lot of anime faces can be, she's actually leaning a bit towards the mature side relative to some.

And the more I think about it Dragon's Crown is a really, REALLY bad target for this. I've stated this elsewhere, but it'd seem more appropriate to target something that's actually trying to have a more mature aesthetic to it and wants to be taken seriously, yet throws women in armor that leaves them exposed in dumb places, or (notably unlike this game) doesn't really have variety in body builds even when it'd make more sense, like a lot of MMOs as I've seen pointed out. The armor shown for the female lead in Divinity: Original Sin at the start of the Kickstarter's a better example to target: this aims to be an RPG with a well developed world, stronger narrative focus (or so it seems), and with more realistic designs, yet you put her in something that barely protects her torso? It sticks out really badly.
Kevadu

Some guy

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #111 on: April 25, 2013, 08:16:37 PM »

Check out my new classy avatar pic.

Edit: Oh yeah, here's a nice editorial.
« Last Edit: April 25, 2013, 08:18:49 PM by Kevadu » Logged

TiamatNM

tiagol@live.com CursedTiamat
View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #112 on: April 25, 2013, 09:28:57 PM »

Schreier is an idiot. 
Kevadu

Some guy

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #113 on: April 26, 2013, 03:55:29 AM »

In case you're tired of talking about boobs I found this very cool article on all the art influences present in Dragon's Crown.

Yggdrasil

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #114 on: April 26, 2013, 04:12:56 AM »

In case you're tired of talking about boobs I found this very cool article on all the art influences present in Dragon's Crown.

Now this is more like it.
Kevadu

Some guy

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #115 on: April 26, 2013, 04:34:40 AM »

Oh, Elf trailer is out.  She looks like a lot of fun to play as.

Yggdrasil

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #116 on: April 26, 2013, 03:36:48 PM »

The artist behind Dragon's Crown explains his exaggerated characters -- Source: Kotaku

Jason Schreier is on my shit list.

---

Comment by Andy Lee Chaisiri, Gamasutra:

"What's left out of Christian Nutt's article is what Jason Schreier said about George Kamitani, where he calls him a "14 year old boy that was probably cheap to hire"

George Kamitani is an industry veteran whose been making games since the early 90's.
He's been a games designer, producer, director, artist.
He founded his own company, Vanillaware, which is known for its distinct visual style, all done by Kamitani. He is a very rare breed, a man who is extremely versatile, an artist who creates games.

And Jason Schreier dismisses him as a 14 year old boy that is 'cheap to hire'... by the own company he founded.

Kamitani responded to accusations that he 'only sexualizes women!' and "dwarves aren't a sexual fantasy!" with a playful drawing of three very happy, very sexualized muscular bearded men. He then hoped Jason could enjoy Dragon's Crown.

Jason never apologized, demanded an apology from Kamitani (which Kamitani gave), and continues his attack on Kamitani.

That is the full story, the one that wasn't written on this Gamasutra article.

It should also be pointed out that Christian Nutt's reaction to the drawing of smiling, burly men was "FAG joke!!" You can see his use of hateful, demeaning, homophobic language on his twitter right here:
https://twitter.com/ferricide/status/326750771083358208

You can see more anger spurred use of the word 'fag' in other defenders of Jason where they cry "he called Jason a FAG!!" and are up in arms:
https://twitter.com/aegies/status/326734022942273536

These people who so casually use demeaning language are the ones writing this article, and many more articles on 'games journalism'."
« Last Edit: April 26, 2013, 03:56:00 PM by Yggdrasil » Logged
Annubis
Image is from Magical Diary. It's the Deus Ex of VN/Dating sim

Voted most likely to become an evil dictator

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #117 on: April 26, 2013, 04:05:58 PM »

There's really no point in talking about this. Let me explain why.
By linking the original in your post, you just gave him clicks, which is exactly what he wants.
Kotaku is just trying to get attention by using guaranteed shitstarter topics lately.
Personally, I think they aren't worth the attention.
Dice
AMG A GIRL

Tawdry Hepburn

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #118 on: April 26, 2013, 04:06:53 PM »

The artist behind Dragon's Crown explains his exaggerated characters -- Source: Kotaku

Jason Schreier is on my shit list.

---

Comment by Andy Lee Chaisiri, Gamasutra:

"What's left out of Christian Nutt's article is what Jason Schreier said about George Kamitani, where he calls him a "14 year old boy that was probably cheap to hire"

George Kamitani is an industry veteran whose been making games since the early 90's.
He's been a games designer, producer, director, artist.
He founded his own company, Vanillaware, which is known for its distinct visual style, all done by Kamitani. He is a very rare breed, a man who is extremely versatile, an artist who creates games.

And Jason Schreier dismisses him as a 14 year old boy that is 'cheap to hire'... by the own company he founded.

Kamitani responded to accusations that he 'only sexualizes women!' and "dwarves aren't a sexual fantasy!" with a playful drawing of three very happy, very sexualized muscular bearded men. He then hoped Jason could enjoy Dragon's Crown.

Jason never apologized, demanded an apology from Kamitani (which Kamitani gave), and continues his attack on Kamitani.

That is the full story, the one that wasn't written on this Gamasutra article.

It should also be pointed out that Christian Nutt's reaction to the drawing of smiling, burly men was "FAG joke!!" You can see his use of hateful, demeaning, homophobic language on his twitter right here:
https://twitter.com/ferricide/status/326750771083358208

You can see more anger spurred use of the word 'fag' in other defenders of Jason where they cry "he called Jason a FAG!!" and are up in arms:
https://twitter.com/aegies/status/326734022942273536

These people who so casually use demeaning language are the ones writing this article, and many more articles on 'games journalism'."

Jesus H. Christ.  This has blown up to stupid proportions. 
I do like that dwarf picture though. x)

Yggdrasil

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #119 on: April 26, 2013, 04:21:23 PM »

@Annubis: I know all that very well, and with the statatement that Kamitani did I really don't have any more reason keep seeing this prefabricated mess.
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 32 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: