Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
November 22, 2014, 08:17:03 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
We have a new board! Pop on over to the Game Journals section and tell us what you've been playing!
337990 Posts in 13836 Topics by 2212 Members
Latest Member: WhiteWishes
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Single-Player RPGs
| | |-+  Dragon's Crown (Vanillaware RPG, now 2013 all regions) announced for PS3/Vita
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 ... 32 Print
Author Topic: Dragon's Crown (Vanillaware RPG, now 2013 all regions) announced for PS3/Vita  (Read 42186 times)
Kevadu

Some guy

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #135 on: May 02, 2013, 02:53:57 AM »

I'm wiling to bet that Dragon's Crown sells significantly better than any of Vanillaware's other games here in part because of this whole 'controversy'.  After all there's no such thing as bad publicity, and Vanillaware has always struggled with obscurity.  The hardcore fans will buy it anyway, and lots of people who probably never would have even heard of the game before know about it now.  If even a small percentage of them think, "hey that looks like fun," and try the game out it will make a difference.

Agent D.

"Mage"nt D.

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #136 on: May 02, 2013, 04:23:34 AM »

Bad press is still press. The name Vanillaware meant nothing to me until Dragon's Crown was really getting slammed. Granted, it's only being covered in circles that are focused on by people who knew of it already, but it oughta provoke more people into playing that would have simply passed it over as a Dungeons amd Dragons game "or sum shiet".

Don't care what other morons have to say about it anymore. I wanna play this game.

TASTY!
Kevadu

Some guy

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #137 on: May 02, 2013, 04:48:22 AM »

Wizard trailer!

No giant man-boobs, sadly.

P.S.: I'm kind of shocked that nobody seems to be making English-subbed versions of these trailers.  I mean, the text on the right side matches the voice-over, which should make it pretty easy to do.  But the only English-subbed trailer I could find was for the (now infamous) Sorceress, none of the others.
« Last Edit: May 02, 2013, 04:53:24 AM by Kevadu » Logged

Yggdrasil

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #138 on: May 02, 2013, 04:53:49 AM »

The name Vanillaware meant nothing to me until Dragon's Crown was really getting slammed.

What a shame.
Kevadu

Some guy

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #139 on: May 02, 2013, 05:24:00 AM »

Just for the heck of it (because I clearly have nothing better to do), I translated the Elf trailer:

0:13 This beautiful, long-lived, race
0:16 are fearsome hunters.
0:20 Her superior athletic ability and unparalleled accuracy with a bow
0:23 allow her to attack enemies from any distance
0:26 Furthermore, with the aid of nature spirits
0:30 she is able to manipulate various magics.
0:34 Those dubious of her cute appearance
0:36 will certainly come to regret it.
0:40 Become an elf and cast yourself into adventure...!

Somebody stick this in a video or something ;)

Edit: And the wizard:

0:13 Boasting high magic power
0:15 he is a mage who can manipulate strong magic.
0:20 With his keen mind and vast knowledge
0:23 the magic he developed
0:25 gives birth to explosions of flames, causes tempests
0:29 and calls down meteors from the distant sky
0:32 to annihilate the enemy.
0:35 With this dreadful destructive power
0:37 there shouldn't be any powerful enemies he can't crush.
0:42 Become a wizard and challenge mystery...!
« Last Edit: May 02, 2013, 05:51:16 AM by Kevadu » Logged

Sagacious-T

Official Pony Thread

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #140 on: May 02, 2013, 06:00:44 PM »

It's sad how people like Jason Schrier can get a job in gaming journalism. The guy shitposted about video games for years on various gaming forums, all the way back to gamefaqs. He was basically a common troll that had a buddy get him in at Kotaku.

Now usually I expect some blather about how terrible Kotaku is or whatever... but not for someone specific and in this sort of way. I'm curious if you can elaborate?

He shitposted and trolled for years on web forums before getting into Kotaku. Most of this trolling was done on a private-but-hyperactive gaming spinoff forum. This wouldn't be such a big deal (people do grow up), except he jumped straight from his trolling/shitposting peak straight into Kotaku.

It was a pretty big joke at the time. Most of us on that other board were astounded that he, of all people in the world, could actually get a job in game journalism. When he was new at Kotaku, he would post his articles on said board, and then ban that board's users from Kotaku when they commented/disagreed with him.

There was a period where he began his journalism job while still trolling, and people began to call him out for it in public, so he generally keeps his trolling to his articles these days.

But now that I think about it, he is kind of a good match for Kotaku. Most of his trolling involved fucking around with some hot gaming topic in order to start arguments/argue with the community, snickering away while people bitched about inane bullshit. Think NeoGAF but less intelligent and openly hostile.

Now he applies his skills in the real world, posting provocative comments like "lolicon fantasy" in order to generate hits on his article, all while pushing the limits of the already-soft integrity of "gaming journalism."

I'm not an expert on the guy by any means. He was just a very prolific troll for some period on this board I was a member of. He doesn't really post there anymore due to the need to protect his public image.

Agent D.

"Mage"nt D.

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #141 on: May 02, 2013, 07:08:25 PM »

The name Vanillaware meant nothing to me until Dragon's Crown was really getting slammed.

What a shame.
Not really, having seen Odin Sphere as one of their other big games, I see why I don't recall the name. Wasn'5 a fan.

TASTY!
Kevadu

Some guy

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #142 on: May 03, 2013, 02:44:03 AM »

They finally released some official 'English' trailers of the Sorceres and Fighter.  I put that in quotes there because their solution to translating the cool narrations was to not include them at all...um, yeah.

Anyway, I was thinking about translating the Dwarf trailer but nobody even commented on the other two I did so I'm all emo :(

Dice
Dobbelstenen Muil
AMG A GIRL

Tawdry Hepburn

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #143 on: May 03, 2013, 02:51:56 AM »

They finally released some official 'English' trailers of the Sorceres and Fighter.  I put that in quotes there because their solution to translating the cool narrations was to not include them at all...um, yeah.

Anyway, I was thinking about translating the Dwarf trailer but nobody even commented on the other two I did so I'm all emo :(

Because the Dwarf isn't the witch or amazon.  Soo.... =/
I watched them all if it helps. :)

I like how puny the Warrior's sword is compared to the rest of his body.  I think, in real life, he'd have to walk like a crab (sideways) because he's just so damned wide.  Looks like a well-rounded character to play as!

Actually, if there's one thing I am eager to see is the balance of characters in this game.  I thought the five mains in Odin Sphere were each unique and fun in their own way.

EDIT: Just noticed "witch" was "sorceress".  Odd, was it the other way around at some point or was I just telling myself one thing over the other?  For that matter, what's the male-mage called?  I thought he was a "sorcerer", so I guess it's just magician? 
...My hair hurts...
« Last Edit: May 03, 2013, 02:54:07 AM by Dice » Logged

http://society6.com/Dice963
http://www.redbubble.com/people/dice9633

Support your local Dice (and pitch her ideas)!
Kevadu

Some guy

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #144 on: May 03, 2013, 03:33:45 AM »

The male mage is the Wizard.

Anyway, Dwarf trailer translation:

0:12 With skin like rock and a thoroughly tempered body
0:16 this member of a proud family of the earth pulverizes everything.
0:22 This superhuman strength allows him to easily
0:25 lift and hurl even enemies that surpass his own stature.
0:30 When he skillfully mows down enemies,   
0:32 he should even be a match for a thousand warriors.
0:37 Be a Dwarf and confront unknown enemies...!

(I changed 'become' to 'be' in the last line because I decided that 'become' sounded a little silly, but the final line is the same structure for all of them.  Whatever...)

Anyway, in terms of class balance here's what I'm guessing:

Fighter - The tank.  Probably has the best defense in the group.  Which isn't to say he won't do damage, but probably not as much as some of the others.

Sorceress - Looks more agile than the Wizard (that air dash...), and has more varied spells.  You see her doing some necromancy, freezing enemies, etc.  Probably doesn't do as much sheer damage as the Wizard, though, and is likely pretty fragile too.

Dwarf - Similar to the fighter, but looks like more varied attacks to me.  Probably does a bit more damage but has lower defense, which is not to say that he'll be a pushover or anything.

Elf - Fast and agile with a wide variety of attacks, including ranged attacks.  Likely fairly fragile, though hopefully not as bad as the magic users.  I'm not really sure how much damage she'll be doing, though...

Wizard - He's going to be the biggest damage-dealer of the group.  He's slow and lacks the variety of spells that the Sorceress has, but all of his spells seem to be of the big attack variety.

Amazon - Who knows, haven't seen her trailer yet.  Probably another type similar to the Fighter and Dwarf...

Personally, from what I've seen I'm most interested in playing as the Elf right now.

Yggdrasil

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #145 on: May 03, 2013, 05:08:13 AM »

Dragon's Crown JP box art, art book cover -- Source: Gematsu

"The art book will come included as a special favor with early purchases in Japan.

Dragon's Crown is due out for PlayStation 3 and PS Vita on July 25 in Japan and August 6 in North America."
Dice
Dobbelstenen Muil
AMG A GIRL

Tawdry Hepburn

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #146 on: May 03, 2013, 01:53:58 PM »

Kev: Thanks for the desriptions and clarification -- I clearly have a case of the dumb today.  Also, IIRC< they said the Amazon is a damage dealer at the cost of defence because no armor, so yeah, perhaps a variation to the dwarf (I love the way his skin "cracks" by tthe way).

Ygg: Artbook totally looks like WoW:Cataclysm's box. xD
Man I hope we can get an artbook...hopefully Atlus doesnt just reign "bonuses" to SMT titles. T__T

http://society6.com/Dice963
http://www.redbubble.com/people/dice9633

Support your local Dice (and pitch her ideas)!
Yggdrasil

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #147 on: May 10, 2013, 03:53:31 AM »

DRAGON'S CROWN [JP] Amazon -- atlustube
beLIEve?

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #148 on: May 11, 2013, 01:56:10 PM »

It's sad how people like Jason Schrier can get a job in gaming journalism. The guy shitposted about video games for years on various gaming forums, all the way back to gamefaqs. He was basically a common troll that had a buddy get him in at Kotaku.

Now usually I expect some blather about how terrible Kotaku is or whatever... but not for someone specific and in this sort of way. I'm curious if you can elaborate?

He shitposted and trolled for years on web forums before getting into Kotaku. Most of this trolling was done on a private-but-hyperactive gaming spinoff forum. This wouldn't be such a big deal (people do grow up), except he jumped straight from his trolling/shitposting peak straight into Kotaku.

It was a pretty big joke at the time. Most of us on that other board were astounded that he, of all people in the world, could actually get a job in game journalism. When he was new at Kotaku, he would post his articles on said board, and then ban that board's users from Kotaku when they commented/disagreed with him.

There was a period where he began his journalism job while still trolling, and people began to call him out for it in public, so he generally keeps his trolling to his articles these days.

But now that I think about it, he is kind of a good match for Kotaku. Most of his trolling involved fucking around with some hot gaming topic in order to start arguments/argue with the community, snickering away while people bitched about inane bullshit. Think NeoGAF but less intelligent and openly hostile.

Now he applies his skills in the real world, posting provocative comments like "lolicon fantasy" in order to generate hits on his article, all while pushing the limits of the already-soft integrity of "gaming journalism."

I'm not an expert on the guy by any means. He was just a very prolific troll for some period on this board I was a member of. He doesn't really post there anymore due to the need to protect his public image.

what i thought was funny in a sad sorta way was last week he posted an article about censorship in jrpgs. to which i posted all censorship is lame, it seems a little bit hypocritical coming from someone who dogged dragons crown. other commenters told me that it is double funny since he removed several comments saying essentially the same thing. seriously it sounds like he's taking ques from fox news 
kofvscapcom
Rereveagence

kofvscapcom
View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #149 on: May 11, 2013, 08:16:54 PM »

That 64 page artbook bonus for pre-order looks pretty awesome and it seems to be available from all the big retailers.
http://www.atlus.com/dragonscrown/purchase.html

Roses are red, violets are blue. Omae wa mou shindeiru.
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 ... 32 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: