Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
August 27, 2014, 11:09:43 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz
Next Quiz Date: January 11, 2014
Subject: 999 (Nintendo DS)
For more information click HERE!
329751 Posts in 13517 Topics by 2179 Members
Latest Member: Lian_Kazairl
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Single-Player RPGs
| | |-+  Dragon's Crown (Vanillaware RPG, now 2013 all regions) announced for PS3/Vita
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 15 16 [17] 18 19 ... 32 Print
Author Topic: Dragon's Crown (Vanillaware RPG, now 2013 all regions) announced for PS3/Vita  (Read 35055 times)
Dincrest
RPGFan Editor

View Profile WWW
« Reply #240 on: July 31, 2013, 07:32:18 PM »

It's true that the exaggerated sexualization of women in fantasy art is nothing new (Boris Vallejo, Luis Royo, Paolo Eleuteri Serpieri, Satoshi Urushihara and others come to mind), but right now, Dragon's Crown just happens to be the current lightning rod for that little debate.  And its art is very cartoonishly exaggerated, almost like Tex Avery.  

It kinda reminds me of that scene in Roger Rabbit where Eddie is caught with his pants down when Jessica Rabbit's in his office and Delores catches him and says, "Dabbling in watercolors, Eddie?"  

And, again, I can't help but think of that "snu snu" episode of Futurama whenever I see the Dragon's Crown Amazon.

Next bike-a-thon: PD500 Rock 'n Roll ride (to benefit Parkinson's Disease) October 5, 2014
Sagacious-T

Official Pony Thread

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #241 on: July 31, 2013, 07:38:18 PM »

Exaggerated sexualization in fantasy is very common, yeah, but the extent Dragon's Crown takes it to almost feels like a parody of that. It's not like that kind of fantasy art is even common in video games these days. I can only think of a handful of examples, the barmaid from Baldur's Gate: Dark Alliance, perhaps the girls from God of War, that one boss from Odin Sphere, and Ivy Valentine and other various fighting game characters (Esp the whole Dead or Alive thing). Definitely nothing running rampant.

I'm just a fan of unusual, highly stylized art, which is what I see Dragon's Crown as. I'd probably say Dragon's Crown pulls it off more tastefully than other games where sexualized women might feel over the top or out of place.
PaleRobbie
Podcast Host
RPGFan Editor

View Profile
« Reply #242 on: July 31, 2013, 07:40:40 PM »

As many people already know, I'm a teacher at a boarding school.  I was very much looking forward to playing this game with some of my students.  We have a blast playing Smash Bros. and various other games.  If any of my colleagues saw some of the more risque scenes in Dragon's Crown, however, I'd be fired in an instant.  And the fact is that the female characters are seen as sexual objects (the princess and elf being the notable exceptions) while the male characters are all big burly fantasy drawings.  Some of the stun animations on the amazon in particular look like they were ripped out of some hentai film.

Again, I'm very comfortable with my hobby.  I don't hide the fact I'm a gamer or that I'm a teacher who plays video games.  My job, however, is based around interactions with children, and much the same way I wouldn't allow them to watch Game of Thrones I would not allow them to play Dragon's Crown.  The fact is that you can have very sexy character designs without resorting to some of the more... provocative sights in this game.

Jessica Rabbit is a really good example, Neal.  She's a buxom character who exudes sexuality.  That's not a problem on it's own.  The problem would be if we chained her to a bed, draped a barley there sheet over her body, and then allowed you to prod her with analog stick clicks and watch her writhe and cry out.  That's where Dragon's Crown goes too far.
Dincrest
RPGFan Editor

View Profile WWW
« Reply #243 on: July 31, 2013, 07:54:14 PM »

I still see the art inducing fairly strong and perhaps divisive reactions of people as darn good publicity for the game.  And even then, from what I gather from reviews, the game itself is actually pretty good and not just "sleazy trash" like some two-bit third-rate H-game, so it's win-win all around. 

Still, yeah, there are some things you definitely don't want to watch/read/play/do among certain company.  There's plenty of stuff we watch/read/play/do with peers that we probably wouldn't do in the company of our parents and stuff.  I love brutal death metal, but I probably won't play Necroptic Engorgement or Sexcrement in my car if I'm driving my mom somewhere.

Next bike-a-thon: PD500 Rock 'n Roll ride (to benefit Parkinson's Disease) October 5, 2014
Sagacious-T

Official Pony Thread

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #244 on: July 31, 2013, 07:54:31 PM »

I didn't know your history or reasoning beyond not wanting others to see it when reading your review. All I had to go off of was the review itself, as will most readers. When you say the game would give the wrong impression to your friends, the context of your personal life is not apparent.

We can respectfully disagree on the art. As an artist myself, I find the call for censorship from critics (not saying you specifically) detrimental to art and the idea of video games as art. Just as very tasteful games have their place in the industry, games like Dragon's Crown should have their place as well, perhaps not in the hands of children (that is a debate for another day) but at least on the shelves of stores. It's hardly eloquent, hardly smut, but it does make one hell of an impression. That alone may be merit enough to at least respect DC's art style in some degree.

It also made one hell of a marketing blitz.
PaleRobbie
Podcast Host
RPGFan Editor

View Profile
« Reply #245 on: July 31, 2013, 08:01:59 PM »

Oh, I agree!  The art is quite amazing.  Even the more risque pictures are absolutely gorgeous.  I can't deny the artist's abilities. 
Starmongoose
Contributing Editor

Vicious Feminist

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #246 on: July 31, 2013, 08:11:50 PM »

I think I'll need to learn to laugh at the absurdity of the sexualization of the women in the game or try to ignore it completely when I play it. I agree with Derek, it seems like a total straight male fantasy and it's hard not to feel a bit of a removal from the emotions these images are trying to evoke and how not applicable they are to me. The intent is definitely to draw  your attention to the risque poses and such, but it's not something I care to sit through.

Just as much as the entire internet would cry out and claim to be under-represented if the game featured sleek, chiseled men wearing only loin cloths who posed homoerotically all the time, while the woman were heavily robed and had non-sexual poses. And no, the way men are portrayed in Dragon's Crown certainly isn't sexualised, it's far closer to self-insert characters from old fantasy novels. 

SAVE THE PENGUIN!

Here to suck the fun out of games.
Ashton
Contributing Editor

Lawful Asshole

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #247 on: July 31, 2013, 08:15:27 PM »

I watch Free! with my lady friends.

I'll play this game not feel any sort of guilt at all.

Der Jermeister

The Angry Videogame Fur

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #248 on: July 31, 2013, 08:27:09 PM »

I have yet to play a Vanillaware game aside from Odin's Sphere, and as long as this doesn't suffer from crippling slowdown I'll definitely give it a shot.

Agent D.

"Mage"nt D.

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #249 on: July 31, 2013, 08:41:53 PM »

I went to failstop yesterday to preorder this FINALLY and the girl (yes girl) behind the counter starts going on about how fucking excited she is for this. I laughed and asked her if she didn't mind the fact that the sorceress couldn't stand up straight naturally to which she replied "Fuck that, my amazon bitch is all I need. Her thighs make chun li's look like a preschooler." We babbled for a couple more minutes about if and then she HAD to throw in something about her boyfriend not being interested, idk I stopped paying attention after that.

TASTY!
Starmongoose
Contributing Editor

Vicious Feminist

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #250 on: July 31, 2013, 08:48:20 PM »

Ah, you were doing so well there Agent, you almost treated a woman like she wasn't just there to please your need. :D

SAVE THE PENGUIN!

Agent D.

"Mage"nt D.

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #251 on: July 31, 2013, 08:51:00 PM »

Ah, you were doing so well there Agent, you almost treated a woman like she wasn't just there to please your need. :D
I didn't rub my singleness in her face, why she gotta rub her boyfriend in mine? Besides...I only have eyes for one lady right now...just need to build that confidence up some more.

TASTY!
Dice
Super Happy Fun Super Girl
AMG A GIRL

Tawdry Hepburn

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #252 on: July 31, 2013, 09:31:56 PM »

George Kamitani already said his views that if it was just "plain buxom" or "plain muscle" then it's just like all the other artwork out there. He wanted to avoid making it just like any other game.... he wanted "HEY LOOK!!!" and not "hey look".  Bad example, I'm very sleepy, but the point WAS to get you to look, and he succeeded.  If you're put off by it then that's all on you, but I don't think people should be put off.  And this really has almost nothing on the YEARS of comic books doing the same thing or how men have fawned over Jessica Rabbit for 20 years.  It's almost ignored compared to this -- like Din said, it's ignited the lightning rod.  At the very least, and I've said it before, but I couldn't have been happier about including a female with such ridiculous muscles as in the Amazon -- that's almost certainly a first for games (especially muscles to what's almost a "Street Fighter"-level on a female -- not even Street Fighter themselves hit THAT level), Kamitani got his "HEY LOOK" from her alone.

Plus, here we get all dichotomies of body types, thin, "full", and just plain muscular. 

And fuck it, I complained about this in the Lightning Returns thread, but I'm more amazed that even despite the cup size, the boobs actually move like boobs.  Contrary to most anime/games, they don't really "jiggle" as much as bounce with the lady's movement.  So, even despite the PG-13 cut of her dress and overly-exaggerated proportions, I have to give the animator's a round of applause.
« Last Edit: July 31, 2013, 09:37:52 PM by Dice » Logged

http://society6.com/Dice963
Support your local Dice (and pitch her ideas)!
Agent D.

"Mage"nt D.

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #253 on: July 31, 2013, 09:34:18 PM »

Obviously it's a defense mechanism so she can avoid falling on her face. Those monstrosities would never allow such a pretty face to bit the pavement.

TASTY!
Starmongoose
Contributing Editor

Vicious Feminist

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #254 on: July 31, 2013, 09:35:39 PM »

I never denied it was my problem, or derided the artist. It's his choice, but everyone knows that art can be polarizing and I think people who do like the extremeness of the figures need to accept their are people who don't like it. If there is something to like, there is something to dislike and that's just how art works.

SAVE THE PENGUIN!

Pages: 1 ... 15 16 [17] 18 19 ... 32 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: