Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
December 19, 2014, 05:12:00 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
Congratulations to Andrew Barker! RPGfan Editor of the Year and now Chief News Editor!
340916 Posts in 13933 Topics by 2222 Members
Latest Member: XanTehMan
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Single-Player RPGs
| | |-+  Dragon's Crown (Vanillaware RPG, now 2013 all regions) announced for PS3/Vita
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 16 17 [18] 19 20 ... 32 Print
Author Topic: Dragon's Crown (Vanillaware RPG, now 2013 all regions) announced for PS3/Vita  (Read 44082 times)
kofvscapcom
Rereveagence

kofvscapcom
View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #255 on: July 31, 2013, 09:55:07 PM »

there's no in-game voice chat? that's...a very weird decision. ah wells, we can always skype when it comes down to it. Disappointed that you haveta unlock online multiplayer though, ugh that was a big appeal of castle crashers and stuff, you can just jump in with a friend and start beating stuff up. That review only got me moar excited and I'm counting down the days. Hopefully I can unlock the online day 1 afternoon and then get that multiplayer on that night.

Roses are red, violets are blue. Omae wa mou shindeiru.
Sagacious-T

Official Pony Thread

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #256 on: July 31, 2013, 10:10:14 PM »

I concede that the character-molestation menus of Dragon's Crown are a bit much.

And a bit hilarious:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ex133LSR6xE
Starmongoose
Contributing Editor

Smiley Abuser

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #257 on: July 31, 2013, 10:14:28 PM »

"I'm going to touch the tits of every slut in the game and there's nothing you can do to stop me."

"I will buy this just to piss off the feminism smothering itself in the industry"

Top comments. Stay classy Youtube.

The video is a perfect example of why I'm baffled at people who get ultra defensive over me not liking some decisions made. I don't know how this can be in the game and it be denied that the intention wasn't to titillate.
« Last Edit: July 31, 2013, 10:16:29 PM by Starmongoose » Logged

SAVE THE PENGUIN!

Here to suck the fun out of games.
Cyril

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #258 on: July 31, 2013, 10:20:18 PM »

Except the male characters are just as "objectified" (as some people are claiming) and sexualized as the female characters are.  Dwarf is 3/4 naked and muscle-bound to the extreme himself.  Then they have official art like this:

I'm not sure why one sex is okay and not the other.  

I'd say it's probably the fans and the way they treat the characters rather than the characters themselves.
« Last Edit: July 31, 2013, 10:26:40 PM by Cyril » Logged
Starmongoose
Contributing Editor

Smiley Abuser

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #259 on: July 31, 2013, 10:26:50 PM »

I must have missed the male character chained to the bed while you poke and prod their genitals.

The Fighter is clad entirely head to foot in thick armor, I fail to see the sexualiation.
The Wizard is wearing thick heavy robes, looks fairly pale and sickly. Not particularly sexual, your average mage-y looking type.
The Dwarf: Last I checked women weren't particularly fond of stout 60 year old men with an obsession for extreme body building.

Also that's not official art, it's done by the artist to be sure but it was used in a very public argument.

SAVE THE PENGUIN!

Here to suck the fun out of games.
Yoda
Son of Dad

Darkness is Void; Juffo-Wup is light

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #260 on: July 31, 2013, 10:29:45 PM »

there's no in-game voice chat? that's...a very weird decision. ah wells, we can always skype when it comes down to it. Disappointed that you haveta unlock online multiplayer though, ugh that was a big appeal of castle crashers and stuff, you can just jump in with a friend and start beating stuff up. That review only got me moar excited and I'm counting down the days. Hopefully I can unlock the online day 1 afternoon and then get that multiplayer on that night.

Wait up..

THere's no in-game chat? By the time I beat the fucking thing everyone will be level billion. Those two things are pretty much gamebreakers for me. The whole point of playing online is to chat up my friends and talk strategies and loot. My excitement for this game dropped by 1/2 and I'll probably only play local co-op
Ashton
Contributing Editor

Lawful Asshole

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #261 on: July 31, 2013, 10:31:34 PM »

"I'm going to touch the tits of every slut in the game and there's nothing you can do to stop me."

"I will buy this just to piss off the feminism smothering itself in the industry"

The video is a perfect example of why I'm baffled at people who get ultra defensive over me not liking some decisions made. I don't know how this can be in the game and it be denied that the intention wasn't to titillate.
It's totally meant to titillate. I don't understand what's so hard to understand about that part.

FOr my part, my Tumblr and Facebook feed are filled with my female friends putting up stuff like this and worse (including some that are comparable to that uh... molestation thing), and I don't bat an eye. I've already fulfilled my social obligation by honestly considering the other side, turning the tables, and saying I'd have no problems with it.

Also, youtube comments are shit. I once saw a comment that said in full earnestness, no joke, "Men are just living sperm banks and we'd be better off if we killed all of them off." It's better to just disregard them as fuckwads being fuckwads.

Agent D.

"Mage"nt D.

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #262 on: July 31, 2013, 10:32:46 PM »

I giggled when the big hercules looking dude's arm shook when his nipple got caressed. That was funny. The orc was funny too...but the poor little orc getting squeezed seemed cruel.

The lady one was just dramatically oversexualized. She should have screamed oh GOD yes or something. I would have fell out of my chair laughing.

TASTY!
Cyril

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #263 on: July 31, 2013, 10:34:30 PM »

The fighter is a perfect example of the sexualization of male characters, actually.  Just like the female characters, his broad chest is overemphasized - and, guess what? Many women find broad chests attractive.  Gears of War is another example of this, though people claim it's a "male power fantasy" instead.  A man's penis doesn't need to be half-hanging out for him to be sexualized.  Just as a woman can be sexualized while fully clothed, so can men.

Wizard and Elf/Archer are probably the most normal of the bunch.  I actually like Wizard's design best and will probably be playing him.

I suppose we'll have to agree to disagree, though.
(Tunnels)
Professional Thinger

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #264 on: July 31, 2013, 10:35:33 PM »

I'm gonna throw my 2 cents in and guess that a lot of it comes about from idea that liking the game or the character designs in question somehow makes the player a bad person, or a sexist or a misogynist, which I would hope reasonable people would know is not the case.
Dice
Dobbelstenen Muil
AMG A GIRL

Tawdry Hepburn

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #265 on: July 31, 2013, 10:36:01 PM »

I must have missed the male character chained to the bed while you poke and prod their genitals.

The Fighter is clad entirely head to foot in thick armor, I fail to see the sexualiation.
The Wizard is wearing thick heavy robes, looks fairly pale and sickly. Not particularly sexual, your average mage-y looking type.
The Dwarf: Last I checked women weren't particularly fond of stout 60 year old men with an obsession for extreme body building.

Also that's not official art, it's done by the artist to be sure but it was used in a very public argument.

That's kind of a sticky socio-historical issue....  As in, men haven't really been made the objects of such attentive body gazing.  
http://beinglol.com/pic/If-Men-Posed-Like-Calender-Women-1354/order/most-viewed
This is sort of arbitrary, but we really haven't built up the male nude as much as the female nude (for better or worse) -- it's still something that's like *NEVER* seen even on HBO* even though they're willing to show all shapes, colours and sizes of breasts on 90% of their programming.

If anything men seem to get raised eyebrows for dress codes that show off too much, so getting the Fighter class in metallic bathing trunks just seems...unrealistic, even despite the way females are being angled.

I also got nothing against a handsome nude figure. :D

« Last Edit: July 31, 2013, 10:37:47 PM by Dice » Logged

http://society6.com/Dice963
http://www.redbubble.com/people/dice9633
http://dice963.tumblr.com/

Support your local Dice (and pitch her ideas)!
RAINBOW PIXEL POWER!!!
Agent D.

"Mage"nt D.

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #266 on: July 31, 2013, 10:40:14 PM »

@Cyril I can understand your viewpoint, but as a guy, it's not nudity for me to walk around with my shirt off. Women are taught from a young age to keep their top half covered always all the time while men aren't told the same. Sure, a guy's broad, rippled chest may turn women and some men on, but it's like a women's thigh in that regard. To be perfectly honest, the penis is the male equivalent of the breasts on women, that's usually the part the opposite sex fantasizes about and that's where the issues come up. No one's walking around like Mark Wahlberg in Boogie Nights in the game, huh?

TASTY!
Yoda
Son of Dad

Darkness is Void; Juffo-Wup is light

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #267 on: July 31, 2013, 10:43:07 PM »

@Cyril I can understand your viewpoint, but as a guy, it's not nudity for me to walk around with my shirt off. Women are taught from a young age to keep their top half covered always all the time while men aren't told the same. Sure, a guy's broad, rippled chest may turn women and some men on, but it's like a women's thigh in that regard. To be perfectly honest, the penis is the male equivalent of the breasts on women, that's usually the part the opposite sex fantasizes about and that's where the issues come up. No one's walking around like Mark Wahlberg in Boogie Nights in the game, huh?

You're an idiot. Women may love what a penis does but I don't think any woman ever thought of a dick as a source of beauty the same way a man might think of breasts or thighs. At best women tolerate it for being a weird rod with veins and maybe a slight curve
Ashton
Contributing Editor

Lawful Asshole

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #268 on: July 31, 2013, 10:46:35 PM »

Breasts will never be the equivalent of the penis. They are the equivalent of pecs.

(Tunnels)
Professional Thinger

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #269 on: July 31, 2013, 10:47:35 PM »

Edit: Posted before thinking things through.

Anyway, I have to disagree that any of the male characters in this game are sexualized. For an example of a male character design that has the same body type as the dwarf/fighter that is certainly sexualized, follow the link, although it is NSFW. No nudity or sex, but NSFW nevertheless: Link
« Last Edit: July 31, 2013, 10:57:32 PM by (Tunnels) » Logged
Pages: 1 ... 16 17 [18] 19 20 ... 32 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: