Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 18, 2014, 04:21:00 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz
Next Quiz Date: January 11, 2014
Subject: 999 (Nintendo DS)
For more information click HERE!
319062 Posts in 13031 Topics by 2145 Members
Latest Member: aew0
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Single-Player RPGs
| | |-+  this article pleases me
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 Print
Author Topic: this article pleases me  (Read 3084 times)
Alisha

Z0eila@hotmail.com Z0eila
View Profile

Ignore
« on: June 10, 2011, 07:00:05 PM »

http://www.andriasang.com/e/blog/2011/06/10/square_enix_japanese_showing/
credit to lazlowe for showing this to me.
as a jrpg fan this e3 was fairly depressing. hopefully better times are on the way for jrpg fans.

“Normal is not something to aspire to, it's something to get away from.”
ShadowLaguna

Rattle your goddamn head!

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2011, 07:13:50 PM »

It's depressing, 'cuz FFXIII-2.

Wii Number - 1981 9892 1002 5530
Parn

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2011, 07:19:10 PM »

Square Enix is the new Sega.
Annubis

Voted most likely to become an evil dictator

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: June 10, 2011, 07:35:25 PM »

When a company gets big enough, they don't need to do anything else but buy other companies to do the work for them.
Jedah
Golden Age Gamer

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: June 10, 2011, 08:22:40 PM »

as a jrpg fan this e3 was fairly depressing. hopefully better times are on the way for jrpg fans.

I have to agree, I was pretty depressed with the offering that Square-Enix had.  Tomb Raider looked great but that was the only game that I was impressed with.  I haven't played FF13 so I really felt indifferent about 13-2.  I really hoped the company would have more to show or offer with their Japanese based games.  I am surprised to hear an SE executive express regret at what they had to offer.  My question is, if you knew what the line up was to be for E3, why didn't he and other executives do something about it?  They just won't deliver and instead must rely on western based companies to help them save grace. 

I think the real problem is that SE can't satisfy both the Japanese and Western market at the same time.  They are two different cultures and some things just don't translate well.  This seems to be why they either release a pure Western game or Japanese game.  When they do try to release a JRPG game for the west, it just doesn't seem to be received well anymore.
Lazlowe1984
Restricted Members

Centurion

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: June 10, 2011, 09:46:14 PM »

I have to agree, I was pretty depressed with the offering that Square-Enix had.  Tomb Raider looked great but that was the only game that I was impressed with.  I haven't played FF13 so I really felt indifferent about 13-2.  I really hoped the company would have more to show or offer with their Japanese based games.  I am surprised to hear an SE executive express regret at what they had to offer.  My question is, if you knew what the line up was to be for E3, why didn't he and other executives do something about it?  They just won't deliver and instead must rely on western based companies to help them save grace. 

I think the real problem is that SE can't satisfy both the Japanese and Western market at the same time.  They are two different cultures and some things just don't translate well.  This seems to be why they either release a pure Western game or Japanese game.  When they do try to release a JRPG game for the west, it just doesn't seem to be received well anymore.

Most of the Japanese games they release are remakes of games released 10 years ago.

Other Japanese games SE has are approaches to franchises which fans don't really want.For example Kingdom Hearts on all those portable systems.

Or games such as FFXIII which feel outdated and carry the worst qualities of the typical JRPG.

I applaud Eidos for their games like Hitman and Deus Ex but they don't belong to Square Enix in terms of creativity.

Kevadu

Some guy

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: June 10, 2011, 10:01:49 PM »

Maybe they could have, like, acknowledged the existence of Type-0 in the west...

S-E's Japanese side hasn't exactly reached the point where western gamers have forgotten them (look at how well FFXIII sold despite the criticism), but damn they sure are trying.  It's not even that they don't have games, but that they don't want to market them here.  What's the last piece of Versus or Type-0 news we've gotten that wasn't just a translation of something in the Japanese press?

Lazlowe1984
Restricted Members

Centurion

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: June 10, 2011, 10:05:11 PM »

Maybe they could have, like, acknowledged the existence of Type-0 in the west...

S-E's Japanese side hasn't exactly reached the point where western gamers have forgotten them (look at how well FFXIII sold despite the criticism), but damn they sure are trying.  It's not even that they don't have games, but that they don't want to market them here.  What's the last piece of Versus or Type-0 news we've gotten that wasn't just a translation of something in the Japanese press?

The last bit of info was in January 11,2011.After that its mainly been press blackouts and speculation.

I'm sure Tetsuya Nomura knows his game deserves more respect than this.

Britton

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: June 10, 2011, 11:50:32 PM »

Aren't all three of those FF games mentioned in the articls all just offshoots/spinoff games?
Kevadu

Some guy

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: June 11, 2011, 12:36:23 AM »

Aren't all Final Fantasy games offshoot/spinoff games?  Versus and Type-0 are no more so than any other.

CDFN

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: June 11, 2011, 06:10:10 AM »

They had that FF press conference in January so maybe they decided to focus on western games for E3 and save the japanese games for TGS. Besides, maybe having XIII-2 and Versus competing for attention would've been counterproductive. As for Type-0, I dunno, the PSP is dead in the US so maybe they aren't expecting anything from it outside of Japan.

Currently playing: Uncharted 3, Dark Souls, Team ICO Collection, Atelier Totori, Child of eden.
Yoda
Sexton Hardcastle

Darkness is Void; Juffo-Wup is light

a+dark+eclipse
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: June 11, 2011, 12:31:35 PM »

If Square is mad there wasn't enough JRPGs... then maybe they should've brought some damn JRPGs to show?

Dice
Super Happy Fun Super Girl
AMG A GIRL

Tawdry Hepburn

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: June 11, 2011, 12:54:23 PM »

If Square is mad there wasn't enough JRPGs... then maybe they should've brought some damn JRPGs to show?

Haha, I actually thought the same thing was strange about the article.

http://society6.com/Dice963
Support your local Dice (and pitch her ideas)!
Yoda
Sexton Hardcastle

Darkness is Void; Juffo-Wup is light

a+dark+eclipse
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: June 11, 2011, 01:00:42 PM »

In a related note: I'm mad that you all didn't like the vacation pictures I didn't show.

Starmongoose
Contributing Editor

Vicious Feminist

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: June 11, 2011, 01:56:23 PM »

In a related note: I'm mad that you all didn't like the vacation pictures I didn't show.

I never said anything about them because you didn't send me flowers when I caught the flu, that I never told you I had.

SAVE THE PENGUIN!

Here to suck the fun out of games.
Pages: [1] 2 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: