Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
August 22, 2014, 11:54:35 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz
Next Quiz Date: January 11, 2014
Subject: 999 (Nintendo DS)
For more information click HERE!
329396 Posts in 13492 Topics by 2179 Members
Latest Member: Lian_Kazairl
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Site Related & More
| |-+  RPGFan: The Site
| | |-+  Video reviews?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Video reviews?  (Read 2479 times)
Maxximum
Not quite over gaming

View Profile

Ignore
« on: June 13, 2011, 11:59:27 AM »

Did you guys ever consider doing video reviews? The site has already grown a lot, and this just seems like the next logical step in its expansion and bringing in an even wider audience. I know that there may be certain constraints and drawbacks that I may not be aware of, but I'm throwing it out there anyway, just out of curiosity.

NOW PLAYING:
Hearthstone: I don't like card games, and yet I enjoy this.
Chaos on Deponia: Beat the first one, went straight for the second one, that says a lot.
F.E.A.R. 2: Project Origin: Seems ok, has mouse issues.
Tooker
RPGFan Editor

king_friday@hotmail.com PeopleJohnT bigfatusername@yahoo.com
View Profile
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2011, 03:53:35 PM »

Yeah, it's come up before.  We're all in favor of it as a concept, but it requires equipment and software we don't have.  More importantly, it's a significant time investment, and we're all volunteers with jobs and families.  Thanks for trying to help us grow, though!

Those who believe in telekinetics, raise my hand.
—Kurt Vonnegut
Yoda
Son of Dad

Darkness is Void; Juffo-Wup is light

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2011, 04:13:17 PM »

I'd love to see video reviews, even just simple youtube uploads from staff or users would be cool.
Tooker
RPGFan Editor

king_friday@hotmail.com PeopleJohnT bigfatusername@yahoo.com
View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 13, 2011, 04:25:40 PM »

I don't think we'd feel good doing something like "hey, this is me sitting in front of a webcam talking!"  It just isn't up to the level of professionalism we want to produce.  We'd want to do things more like Gamespot or The Escapist.  Video capture, etc.

Those who believe in telekinetics, raise my hand.
—Kurt Vonnegut
Yoda
Son of Dad

Darkness is Void; Juffo-Wup is light

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: June 13, 2011, 04:28:06 PM »

I hear that.

Gamespot has pretty good production.

Many a time I've seen Kevin von ord stand in a cool CG-room
Lazlowe1984
Restricted Members

Centurion

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: June 13, 2011, 09:42:24 PM »

I don't think we'd feel good doing something like "hey, this is me sitting in front of a webcam talking!"  It just isn't up to the level of professionalism we want to produce.  We'd want to do things more like Gamespot or The Escapist.  Video capture, etc.

I understand.RPGFan already has this really unique site layout and it deserves a proper custom video capture setup.

I hope you guys have something completed soon since some of your reviewers definitely need to get some spotlight.

Maxximum
Not quite over gaming

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: June 18, 2011, 04:48:31 PM »

Yeah, I figured something along those lines. I've been looking for some good open source screen capture and video editing programs. Found a few but can't get them to work properly yet. If I ever do, is there any chance reader reviews will be making a comeback? I could use a creative outlet.

NOW PLAYING:
Hearthstone: I don't like card games, and yet I enjoy this.
Chaos on Deponia: Beat the first one, went straight for the second one, that says a lot.
F.E.A.R. 2: Project Origin: Seems ok, has mouse issues.
Ramza
Enjoying Retirement
Editor Emeritus

TSDPatGann
View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: June 18, 2011, 05:08:07 PM »

Maxx,

Yeah, GOOD screen capture is hard to come by. I have a TV Card in my ancient PC, and just still screens came out crap. Video was even worse. I think that, maybe someday, RPGFan will give it a try, but this site remains text-heavy in a sort of a intentional way.

As for reader reviews? That was shut down mostly due to lack of submissions (or, at least, lack of readable submissions). I don't think it will come back, at least not in the form it once was. Depending on the direction of the site as it continues to evolve, something akin to reader reviews could exist in the form of elongated comments or user blogs. But that's not anything that would happen in the next year. I'm just speculating as a former staffer who has seen this convo come up perennially. :)

Ramza

Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: