Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 23, 2014, 02:12:35 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz!
Persona 3 FES Quiz is now OVER!
Winner was user: Monsoon!
334699 Posts in 13707 Topics by 2200 Members
Latest Member: Rgeneb1
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Single-Player RPGs
| | |-+  Record of Agarest War: Zero
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 Print
Author Topic: Record of Agarest War: Zero  (Read 4819 times)
Zyco
Hope I'm not the old guy!

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« on: June 14, 2011, 05:34:59 PM »

Anyone pick this up yet? it was on my list until I picked up EQ1 again.. so now I will wait a bit before I get another PS3 game, but wondering if anyone has picked this up yet and how is it? I am pretty sure it said release date was June 14th.
Cyril

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2011, 06:10:38 PM »

Yes, the release date is today.  My copy from Amazon hasn't shipped yet, unfortunately.  As with most of CH/IF titles, I wouldn't expect it to be particularly popular on this site.
Zyco
Hope I'm not the old guy!

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2011, 06:29:13 AM »

Why wouldnt it be popular on this site?? its a SRPG, while the first one wasnt the greatest game it still had alot to offer and had some uniqueness to it with its generation play, relationship builder and even its combos kind of remind me of Disgaea.  I trust what Idea Factory, Compile Heart and Aksys do and they listen to fans so I am expecting Zero to be a big improvement to the first one.
cj_iwakura
Wayfarer of the Time

Counting The Sheep

cjiwakurax
View Profile WWW Email

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: June 15, 2011, 10:28:18 AM »

Because IF are (in)famous for making mediocre games. I've never seen one of their games labeled as GOOD, just 'eh, it's okay' at best.

蒼く咲く華 日は灯り 天に流れる | Kill The Past
Chronix112
Yasunori Mitsuda / Genso Suikoden fanboi

The Pessimistic One

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: June 15, 2011, 02:31:29 PM »

Why wouldnt it be popular on this site?? its a SRPG, while the first one wasnt the greatest game it still had alot to offer and had some uniqueness to it with its generation play, relationship builder and even its combos kind of remind me of Disgaea.  I trust what Idea Factory, Compile Heart and Aksys do and they listen to fans so I am expecting Zero to be a big improvement to the first one.
Dig up some old threads with games made by IF/CH, and you will find your answer. Some of them are downright brutal.
Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 15, 2011, 03:35:01 PM »

Because IF are (in)famous for making mediocre games. I've never seen one of their games labeled as GOOD, just 'eh, it's okay' at best.

This, really. It doesn't matter if it's in a genre you love, a weak game is still a weak game. That, and their style has been off putting at times.
ZeronHitaro

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: June 15, 2011, 06:43:43 PM »

Besides you can already tell the game's had less effort put into it as the number of Generations was cut from 5 to a mere 2. ~.~ Probably because the half-hearted Soul Breed system from last game was "too much" for their lazy behinds to handle so they simplified it even further by chopping off Gens. *sighs* Tis a shame because IF/CH/NISA/Gust (in general) has so many good ideas yet they never fail to utter wreck it either with incompetence, sheer stupidity, or by giving into the wave of utter perversion that seems to be infecting the JRPG industry. (Or multiple causes at once.) AT3, NPG, Agarest Zero...*shakes head*
insertnamehere

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: June 15, 2011, 10:32:28 PM »

I think it may only have 2 because 5 just made it have too little character development, not that it had even a decent story.
I thought Agarest 1 was boring because it never sped up autobattles and I wish it would have since fighting manually was mind numbing.
First review of zero is that it supposedly improves on it.

come get high with me
ba dum tissssss
Cyril

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: June 16, 2011, 01:12:10 AM »

You bring up a good point.  2-3 characters total had any character development in the first Agarest, Dyshana and Winfield off the top of my head. Duran from Generation 4 as well. Even Ellis, who is supposedly a "star" has no character development.  If the characters get both more development and more screen time, I'd be very happy with fewer generations.
ZeronHitaro

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: June 16, 2011, 05:02:33 AM »

I think that had less to do with the number of generations and more to do with just poor game design. Remove at least half the forced battles (maybe more considering the sheer number of them), remove the pointless "Hey this cutscene is the girl's asking what kinda girl you like to determine your partner" moments; and suddenly you have more that sufficient room to have inserted moments for proper character development in each generation.

I wouldn't mind less generations if it was a more reasonable number; like 3 or 4. With two you might as well not even have that mechanic. After all the Soul Breed system is so misleading anyway that it serves virtually no purpose. Sorry to sound so bitter but the SBS was what sold me on the original Agarest; and to see such a potentially wonderful game mechanic so sloppily and incompetently handled really left a jaded edge to my views of Agarest.
« Last Edit: June 16, 2011, 05:05:12 AM by ZeronHitaro » Logged
insertnamehere

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: June 16, 2011, 06:33:13 AM »

I think going down in number was a decent start, and I'm probably just being optimistic about it improving development.
Soul breeding to me seems like it would have benefited from extra event with people to flesh out each path, because I thought it may as well not been around with so few points to make choices.
We should just wait and find out if actually improved or not.
At least Agarest 2 has 3 generations.

come get high with me
ba dum tissssss
ZeronHitaro

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: June 18, 2011, 01:22:05 PM »

Did a little digging on the Agarest Wiki:

Feel Link

A new system is introduced called the Feel Link System. The Feel Link System is where the heroine's costume, and dialog depend on their relationship level.

Free Intention

Another new system, players can build relationship with the heroines. This may result in new costumes,CGs, and items. This is accessed by the City Menu. These costumes have been confirmed - Maid, Shinto Priestess (Miku), a Nurse and School Uniform. This is not limited to the Love Interests.

Normally I don't say something like this but...Ar Tonelico rip off much? (Although I'll admit if it actually does what it says it does, and the things that prompt alternate costumes are actually meaningful without being simply "best answer" nonsense, it could actually be superior to the AT system.)

Also; a quick Google search through images reveals that even though this is a "prequel" they're taking the double or nothing approach that sequels do and giving us a one-up of the ridiculous sausage image from last game. Only this time it's two girls and one unbelievably oversized banana...*bangs head into wall repeatedly* Exactly when did Japan lose any and all sense of the word "subtlety"?
« Last Edit: June 18, 2011, 01:28:08 PM by ZeronHitaro » Logged
Klyde Chroma
Lvl. 7 Fruity Ninja and Dincrest groupie

If Hitler was an introvert, he'd be me.

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: June 19, 2011, 02:26:18 AM »

I picked this up the day of the release but haven't actually given it a shot yet because I am too involved with Y's Chronicles and Trails in the Sky at the moment.... but I can say this.... the extra bonus stuff you get for pre-orderring is nice though not quite as cool as the first games bonus materials.... anyone else have the mouse pad with breasts? I mean, you can't beat that...... its actually really quite comfortable on the wrist.... to be honest its the best mouse pad I've ever owned come to think of it....

Klyde Chroma / XBox Live Network
Triscal-Goddess / PSN
 Remember, DON'T do drugs... an owl will tear your face off.
Darklight

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: June 22, 2011, 11:20:18 PM »

I've bought this one as well, though i'm in mid game crisis and not sure what to play next. I like srpg's, though i'm not to knowledgeable about this title.

EDIT: Seems I bought the Japanese version, just letting you guy's know it's about %90 english so far
« Last Edit: June 23, 2011, 02:41:51 AM by Darklight » Logged
Arhkaos

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: June 24, 2011, 08:36:32 PM »

I've played about 2 hours, and I have to confesse that I think the story is really long and boring... I will probably start skipping through dialogue from now on. The combats are fun, though, but the setting, story and characters are just empty and soundtrack is seriously awful... My impressions, anyway.
« Last Edit: June 24, 2011, 08:38:47 PM by Arhkaos » Logged

I have fury!
Pages: [1] 2 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: