Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2014, 01:01:11 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz
Next Quiz Date: January 11, 2014
Subject: 999 (Nintendo DS)
For more information click HERE!
319154 Posts in 13033 Topics by 2145 Members
Latest Member: aew0
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Single-Player RPGs
| | |-+  Record of Agarest War: Zero
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] Print
Author Topic: Record of Agarest War: Zero  (Read 4342 times)
Klyde Chroma
Novice Bulimic in training.

If Hitler was an introvert, he'd be me.

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: July 06, 2011, 11:13:20 AM »

So is anyone else playing this??

I put in a good few hours here as well and found the story to be highly incoherent thus far.... in the respect that nothing is explained.... That aside, alot of aspects of this title feel sort of "half finished" such as, backgrounds and environments, character evolving systems and just the general nuts and bolts of this title..... I love JRPGS, I love the art style to this title and I know alot of dudes pouring grandious amounts of time into this one so I must pose the question "does this get any better"????? Does the story pick up and become something to captivate me? When they finally stop introducing new gameplay mechanics will this feel coheesive? Or is "what you see in the first 5-10 hours what you get".....

I missed Eternal Sonata and am playing that as well and just don't know if I want to continue with ROAWZ...... which is a shame because I love JRPGs and I love SRPGs, but this one is fading fast for me.... I do love the character art though..... just not anything else yet.....

this signature is Blace's fault...
Remember, DON'T do drugs... an owl will tear your face off.
Cyril

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: July 06, 2011, 05:01:02 PM »

I'm about halfway done with Generation 1.  The game and gameplay is what you see is what you get, but the longer the game goes on, the more easily you get wiped out in a single attack.  In other words, pretty much like Agarest 1.

A few comments from me for those who played the first:
1. You automatically skip to New Game+ and can have extras if you've a clear file from Agarest 1.
2. Cutscenes, on average, are at least 2-3 times the length of those in Agarest 1.  This isn't always a good thing because I often feel they drag.
3. They've balanced how many encounters are between events, to an extent.  Now you get a max 2 on the world map.
4. Dungeons are completely revamped. Before you could get through the dungeons with no encounters at all, now dungeons are treated as something of a small world map, but you can also find items.
5. There are some nice, subtle and not-so-subtle references for those who enjoyed the Lore in Agarest 1.
6. Characters in general feel a lot more balanced, but there are obviously some stronger ones.  It's no longer possible to create a party of characters with Parry and Unleash All-type skills.
« Last Edit: July 06, 2011, 05:14:20 PM by Cyril » Logged
Lard

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: July 06, 2011, 10:59:02 PM »

Isn't this a re-release of an earlier game?

I avoid online multiplayer because my brain still works.
Cyril

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: July 06, 2011, 11:26:15 PM »

No, it's not.  It's a prequel to Record of Agarest War. It's a completely new game.

It does come with the first Agarest on the disk, though.
Lard

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: July 06, 2011, 11:50:40 PM »

Okay, thanks.

This is what I was thinking of

http://www.siliconera.com/2011/07/05/record-of-agarest-war-zero-playtest-more-than-fanservice/

Cyril

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: July 07, 2011, 12:02:14 AM »

That is this game!  It's not the same as Record of Agarest War, but it is part of the same series.

The remake of Record of Agarest War (Agarest Senki) was actually the one Aksys released as the first game. The "Original" was the one released in Europe on the PS3 by Ghostlight and has slightly less content.  Aksys released the "remake" for both 360 and PS3 in the US.  

Zero is a prequel to that.

Lard

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: July 07, 2011, 01:15:37 AM »

Totally lost.

Cyril

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: July 07, 2011, 01:51:12 AM »

Game 1:
Agarest Senki released on PS3 in Japan
Agarest Senki, an extended edition, released on 360 in Japan.
Agarest released as Agarest: Generations of War, the original version, released on PS3 in Europe.
Agarest, released as Record of Agarest War, extended edition released on both the PS3 and 360 in the US.

Prequel:
Agarest Senki Zero released in Japan on PS3.
Agarest Senki Zero, same version as PS3, released on 360 a month later.
Agarest Senki Zero is released as Record of Agarest War Zero in the west on both the 360 and PS3.

Game 2:
Agarest Senki 2 was released in Japan somewhat recently and has not yet been announced for western release.
insertnamehere

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: July 07, 2011, 04:31:41 AM »

Zero has 1 on disc?
second opinion

come get high with me
ba dum tissssss
Cyril

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #24 on: July 07, 2011, 10:38:06 AM »

Yes, Zero has Agarest 1 on the disk.  The main change primarily being that you can't access it all at once. Also, the final credits never show so, apparently, Rex can't choose a bride.

I don't really agree when that guy says the game is difficult.  It's not that much harder than Agarest 1, if any more difficult at all. If anything, they simply balanced the characters out so none of them other than the mains are terribly broken. He's right about the translation being somewhat lackluster, though.
Klyde Chroma

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #25 on: July 07, 2011, 11:07:11 AM »

I'm about halfway done with Generation 1.  The game and gameplay is what you see is what you get, but the longer the game goes on, the more easily you get wiped out in a single attack.  In other words, pretty much like Agarest 1.

A few comments from me for those who played the first:
1. You automatically skip to New Game+ and can have extras if you've a clear file from Agarest 1.
2. Cutscenes, on average, are at least 2-3 times the length of those in Agarest 1.  This isn't always a good thing because I often feel they drag.
3. They've balanced how many encounters are between events, to an extent.  Now you get a max 2 on the world map.
4. Dungeons are completely revamped. Before you could get through the dungeons with no encounters at all, now dungeons are treated as something of a small world map, but you can also find items.
5. There are some nice, subtle and not-so-subtle references for those who enjoyed the Lore in Agarest 1.
6. Characters in general feel a lot more balanced, but there are obviously some stronger ones.  It's no longer possible to create a party of characters with Parry and Unleash All-type skills.

Thanks for the info! I must report though that (at least for the time being) this game is getting the shelf..... I gave it a few more hours and it is just proving way too flawed for me to accept with so many other superb titles calling my name at the moment. But as I already stated, the art is top notch and you can't take that away from it :) In all honesty I will probably keep going back for easily digestable hours of this title here and there for that reason alone.

Klyde Chroma

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #26 on: July 11, 2011, 12:25:07 PM »

Ok, this is my last reply and I'll let this thread die.... I just need to share my disdain right now....

So I sort of went on a DLC frenzy and purchased ALOT of the DLC for RoAWZ.... and it totally ruined what enjoyment I could have derieved from this title!! I know its my fault for being a fool and not looking into a bit first but wow... Its quite cheap to make your characters invincable, removing any and all challenge or necesssity for strategy, and additionally quite expensive to simply browse a gallery of artwork (albeit beautiful...)

Don't mind me, I'm just upset with myself for being a fool....

Darklight

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #27 on: July 18, 2011, 04:01:57 AM »

Finally had some time to play this and,,,,,,,,, I am actually enjoying this as a good turn based game to play when you're tired, how's that for advise. The story, surroundings and gameplay is turning out to be ok, on a relaxed mind. Not sure what to add to that apart from if you like turn based rpg's, it's kind of fun.

My version isn't from Japan, it's from Honker's
Klyde Chroma

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #28 on: July 18, 2011, 11:45:27 AM »

Finally had some time to play this and,,,,,,,,, I am actually enjoying this as a good turn based game to play when you're tired, how's that for advise. The story, surroundings and gameplay is turning out to be ok, on a relaxed mind. Not sure what to add to that apart from if you like turn based rpg's, it's kind of fun.

My version isn't from Japan, it's from Honker's

I felt the same way until I ruined my playthrough with DLC..... stay away from point and item packages unless becoming a demi-God is your thing.....

Speaking of which for anyone else playing.... With the DLC does thiis game ever level off in difficulty again? Specifically what I am asking is, despite having downloaded all the stuff willl the difficulty ever creep back up to the point where there is any type of challenge with the DLC (short of just simply not using point or equipping anything) or do you remain pretty untouchable right through to the end?

Cyril

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #29 on: July 18, 2011, 10:09:00 PM »

I can tell you even without buying the DLC that there comes a point where enemies are capable of wiping you out in one attack. As in your entire party. And they can use the same attack multiple times per round have they the AP.
The DLC weapons aren't really all that powerful, either. Maybe for the first part of the game, but unless I'm mistaken, you'll eventually get stronger ones.  And even then battles become more about learning how to place your characters properly to survive the barrage of AOE attacks.  Despite people saying these games are grindgrindgrind, for the later bosses grinding is inefficient, even pointless, and you rely entirely on your strategy.

This is how it was in Agaraest 1 and, though I'm only about 3/4 of the way through with Zero EXTRA mode ("hard" mode), it's very obviously exactly the same here.
« Last Edit: July 18, 2011, 10:15:55 PM by Cyril » Logged
Pages: 1 [2] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: