Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
August 02, 2014, 02:35:01 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz
Next Quiz Date: January 11, 2014
Subject: 999 (Nintendo DS)
For more information click HERE!
328020 Posts in 13432 Topics by 2169 Members
Latest Member: KopeAcetic
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Single-Player RPGs
| | |-+  Hey Guys! We got one! (Solatorobo Thread)
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 Print
Author Topic: Hey Guys! We got one! (Solatorobo Thread)  (Read 9290 times)
AuraChannelerChris
The RPG Adventurer

Ultimate RPG Gamer

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #60 on: September 30, 2011, 10:21:01 PM »

Oh, and by the way, to those who don't know yet, this game has only one file to save your playthrough.

Much to my annoyance. There's a lot of these stupid trends cropping up in the industry, and I hate it almost as much as a game only saving through auto save, almost because usually those games ALSO only have one save slot. I guess it's a (stupid) attempt to encourage more sales by blocking the ability for someone to share a game with friends and family, even though it's infinitely more restrictive on average than game sharing on PSN anyway.
I suspect the fact that this game has animated cutscenes that is has something to do with only one file to save. You know, cutting off save files to add more content. (And if it's not like this, sorry. I thought save files took up a good amount of memory).
« Last Edit: September 30, 2011, 10:23:24 PM by AuraChannelerChris » Logged

"(Huh. He's been quiet for a while. I wonder what's he thinking?)" ~Made by yours truly~
Youtube Channel - Current Walkthrough: The Wonderful 101
Dincrest
Onoda
RPGFan Editor

Lieutenant Commander Vacation

View Profile WWW
« Reply #61 on: September 30, 2011, 10:38:55 PM »

Normally I too am not a fan of only one savefile (I often like to keep multiple save files in my RPGs), but it actually didn't bother me in Solatorobo.  This was a game where I didn't feel I needed multiples.  Maybe because it was skewed easy, I dunno. 

But, yeah, the game is jam packed with stuff, especially production values stuff. 

"Immortality is a manga artist without deadlines.  Without deadlines, the manga artist will never get the job done."
   -Battle Angel Alita: Last Order, Phase 58
Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #62 on: September 30, 2011, 11:06:06 PM »

I suspect the fact that this game has animated cutscenes that is has something to do with only one file to save. You know, cutting off save files to add more content. (And if it's not like this, sorry. I thought save files took up a good amount of memory).

I'm pretty sure the portion the game saves would take is independent of the main memory, and more importantly would be trivial in comparison to what a movie would take. In fact, IIRC they cap out at 512 kilobytes, and that's more than enough for what this game's memory demands seem to be, extremely excessive if anything.

Normally I too am not a fan of only one savefile (I often like to keep multiple save files in my RPGs), but it actually didn't bother me in Solatorobo.  This was a game where I didn't feel I needed multiples.  Maybe because it was skewed easy, I dunno.

Just for myself... no, it's not a big deal, because I doubt Solatorobo's anywhere near as buggy as something like a Bethesda game where I'd be making multiple saves like crazy are a precautionary measure to bugs, such as the one in Oblivion that rendered newer saves unusuable, nor does it seem like a game where there's really alternative approaches I'd want to use. At worst I'm simply unable to do things like start a new game to see how it started again after I beat it, and it probably comes with a NG+ thing anyway to negate that point. My main beef is how it inhibits sharing without a solid justification, and that probably IS the intent of it. I question how much that really matters, you might get a few more sales but I figure quite a few people, especially in families, would either see it being as pointless to buy copies for EACH person as buying everyone their own copy of a movie, or just delete the save when another wanted to play and thus only serve to frustrate people (if they're fazed at all) without generating more sales.
AuraChannelerChris
The RPG Adventurer

Ultimate RPG Gamer

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #63 on: October 01, 2011, 01:08:00 AM »

As an indirect positive thing, I hope this game manages to give CyberConnect2 a boost of confidence while they're trying to get Megaman Legends 3's permission to take over the project.

"(Huh. He's been quiet for a while. I wonder what's he thinking?)" ~Made by yours truly~
Cyril

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #64 on: October 01, 2011, 01:13:11 AM »

Got my copy today from Amazon.  I was pleasantly surprised to see the CD actually came in a jewel case rather than like what Atlus does with the paper cases.  How long is the game?  Do I have time to beat it in 3-4 days?
AuraChannelerChris
The RPG Adventurer

Ultimate RPG Gamer

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #65 on: October 01, 2011, 01:18:32 AM »

Got my copy today from Amazon.  I was pleasantly surprised to see the CD actually came in a jewel case rather than like what Atlus does with the paper cases.  How long is the game?  Do I have time to beat it in 3-4 days?
Just enjoy it, man. There haven't been complaints of it being short, so I presume it's long.

Dincrest
Onoda
RPGFan Editor

Lieutenant Commander Vacation

View Profile WWW
« Reply #66 on: October 01, 2011, 08:38:22 AM »

I spent twenty-something hours with it.  

Eusis- Valid point about sharing.  A buddy of mine had a complete save for 999 and said to me, "Neal, you HAVE to play this game!"  I felt so bad about having to delete his save file to start my own and I never got all the endings before returning it to him because some other shiny object got my attention.  

ASIDE: I wish I could have put the line "domo arigato Solatorobo" in my review.  Corny, sure, but amusing.
« Last Edit: October 01, 2011, 08:40:23 AM by Dincrest » Logged

"Immortality is a manga artist without deadlines.  Without deadlines, the manga artist will never get the job done."
   -Battle Angel Alita: Last Order, Phase 58
AuraChannelerChris
The RPG Adventurer

Ultimate RPG Gamer

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #67 on: October 01, 2011, 04:06:22 PM »

I must say, the story is enjoyable. The extra quests can be hilarious whenever people take advantage of the moron hero Red is.

Der Jermeister

The Angry Videogame Fur

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #68 on: October 01, 2011, 05:50:34 PM »

Glad to hear Solatorobo's apparently a good furry RPG.

Lard

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #69 on: October 02, 2011, 07:48:18 PM »

The Destructoid review compares it to Half-Life 2.

And gives it a 4/10

http://www.destructoid.com/review-solatorobo-red-the-hunter-212734.phtml#ext

I avoid online multiplayer because my brain still works.
Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #70 on: October 02, 2011, 08:07:35 PM »

And gives it a 4/10

I'm thinking it's worth posting the very first line:

I wish Solatorobo was an animated film instead of a game.

It's a lot like Bob Mackey's review on 1up actually, except his leaned towards the positive while the Destructoid one leaned towards the negative. The game's a passion work that unfortunately isn't as much FUN as the effort put into it would ideally have resulted in, but it may still be worth checking out. I liked it enough from what I played, simple and easy as the gameplay is and as excessively chatty as it can be. At least in that regard it's more likeable than something like Golden Sun, albit nowhere near Trails in the Sky's level.
« Last Edit: October 02, 2011, 08:10:17 PM by Eusis » Logged
AuraChannelerChris
The RPG Adventurer

Ultimate RPG Gamer

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #71 on: October 02, 2011, 08:45:41 PM »

And gives it a 4/10

Why they went ahead and compared it with a console game, I'll never know.

Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #72 on: October 02, 2011, 08:55:10 PM »

Why they went ahead and compared it with a console game, I'll never know.

... Or you could read it and find out.

But really, it's just used as an example of a popular game with a good difficulty curve, whereas Solatorobo apparently stays extraordinarily easy throughout. I don't know why Lard singled that out, maybe he was explicitly looking for an example to mislead everyone and get reactions out of when the more meaningful comparisons are to anime, especially to Studio Ghibli.
AuraChannelerChris
The RPG Adventurer

Ultimate RPG Gamer

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #73 on: October 05, 2011, 12:15:49 PM »

I was just randomly checking TVtropes for this game when there was a question about how the in-game characters use the bathroom. I was quite dumbfounded at this random fact, and there was a link to it so I pressed it to check it on Youtube...

Suffice to say, I encourage all non-furry fans to be extremely careful. I feel like a quarter of my brain cells just died.

Also, regarding the DEFINITE end of the story...

Code:
What'll happen if I choose "New Data" over "Continue"? It's not like deleting the game, but what exactly happens?
« Last Edit: October 05, 2011, 04:11:04 PM by AuraChannelerChris » Logged

Tridius

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #74 on: October 06, 2011, 11:06:05 AM »

Code:
What'll happen if I choose "New Data" over "Continue"? It's not like deleting the game, but what exactly happens?

Basically from what i was told when asking this question at gamefaqs. Basically if you complete the game you can start a new game+ Everything carries over except for hunter rank. Also new stuff gets unlocked each playthrough.

Though mainly some of the stuff for first playthrough is a bit difficult namely some of the more difficult races to unlock certain things.
« Last Edit: October 06, 2011, 11:11:17 AM by Tridius » Logged
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: