Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 01, 2014, 04:43:13 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz!
Subject: Persona 3: FES
Prize: $20 eShop, PSN or Steam code
Date: 3rd October 2014 Time: 16:00 EST
332823 Posts in 13638 Topics by 2191 Members
Latest Member: Zaltys
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Miscellaneous Games
| | |-+  Child of Eden
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 Print
Author Topic: Child of Eden  (Read 3289 times)
Hidoshi
RPGFan's Open Source Field Agent

Built This House

clothothespinner@hotmail.com BrandingRune
View Profile WWW

Ignore
« on: June 18, 2011, 02:19:37 AM »

Okay, so at least one other person besides me must have picked this gem up. Best game, or best game of the year? :P
Candy
asdfghjkl;'

Ask
View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2011, 02:50:43 AM »

Definitely want this game since I'm a Genki Rockets fan. Are there entirely new tracks or just remixes?

CDFN

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2011, 07:27:36 AM »

Waiting for the PS3 version.

Currently playing: Uncharted 3, Dark Souls, Team ICO Collection, Atelier Totori, Child of eden.
Annubis

Something something like a tiger

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: June 18, 2011, 10:17:51 AM »

Do you have a Kinect? I'm probably going to go and get it, but I wonder how well it plays with a controller.
« Last Edit: June 18, 2011, 11:22:33 AM by Annubis » Logged
Parn

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: June 18, 2011, 10:46:43 AM »

The game plays mostly like Rez with the controller.  You want to use the Kinect though.  It's funny because I was hesitant to get one since there was a lot of latency issues with demo kiosks.  When I got it home, the latency is much, much lower.  I had no idea that the Kinect's response time is entirely dependent upon your environment, and the software itself.  Child of Eden handles Kinect better than the Xbox's dashboard does!

I have only one gripe with the game, and that's the presence of enemy bullets that can hit you offscreen.  On Rez, what you see onscreen is what you have to deal with.  With this game, you have to ride the edges of the screen to move the camera a bit further, and so your area of concern is larger.  Any time I've gotten hit by something, it was not onscreen, which can sometimes be annoying.

Minor nitpick for what is an incredible game.  It's major sensory overload.
Hidoshi

Built This House

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: June 18, 2011, 11:10:06 AM »

I have not yet had the chance to play with the Kinect, though from all reports I've heard, the Kinect makes this even better. I'm sincerely impressed, because in many ways the game is just a retread of Rez's concepts -- though done in an entirely new way, so as to make it a wholly better experience. Don't get me wrong, I loved Rez, but I felt parts of the game dragged and that the player was forced to cope with an overwhelming vagueness as to what world they were dealing with. Some of that is reduced here (the dragging to almost nil), and that makes it a far more refined experience.

TL;DR: My dick is hard.
GrimReality
Dark Lord of Nostalgia

OK, options aren't SO bad

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: June 20, 2011, 09:10:26 AM »

I was reading reviews and getting excited to play it until I realized that it wasn't a XBLA game. No way I'm paying $60 for this. Guess I'll be waiting awhile.

Playing: TWD Season 2
Reading: Mistborn #2 by Brandon Sanderson
Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 20, 2011, 03:31:06 PM »

It's $50... not that that really helps.  Have seen it on sale for $40 though.

... I'm in roughly the same boat. If this was the kind of game I'd completely love I wouldn't mind, but it typically isn't so I can't rationalize leaping at it. Not unless BestBuy was likely to have honored that $5 sale, but I knew they wouldn't.
Hidoshi

Built This House

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: June 21, 2011, 12:50:44 PM »

I'm perplexed at that kind of reaction, I guess. There are far worse, smaller, and more widely selling experiences to be had for the same pricetag. By no means is this a small game. :P
Kevadu

Some guy

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: June 21, 2011, 02:31:51 PM »

By no means is this a small game. :P

Really?  I mean, I haven't played it but I've read that you can beat the whole thing in an hour and a half.  How is that not small?

Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 21, 2011, 03:36:51 PM »

I'm perplexed at that kind of reaction, I guess. There are far worse, smaller, and more widely selling experiences to be had for the same pricetag. By no means is this a small game. :P

You're making the assumption this is purely a matter of length and not taste. If I thought I'd really love it a lot then I'd jump at it for full price, but Rez was more a neat novelty than anything else to me, and I don't doubt this will be the same.
GrimReality
Dark Lord of Nostalgia

OK, options aren't SO bad

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: June 21, 2011, 05:03:35 PM »

You're making the assumption this is purely a matter of length and not taste. If I thought I'd really love it a lot then I'd jump at it for full price, but Rez was more a neat novelty than anything else to me, and I don't doubt this will be the same.

Exactly. Rez was fun as a cheap diversion. Just something to pass the time between more substantial releases. I see this as being similar. length has nothing to do with it.

Playing: TWD Season 2
Reading: Mistborn #2 by Brandon Sanderson
Sagacious-T

Official Pony Thread

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: June 22, 2011, 09:23:34 AM »

Who gives a shit about length or price. This is goddamn Rez 2. It's like  a unicorn took a fucking shit and somewhere one day and out grew a goddamn rainbow tree count your fucking blessings
Farron

View Profile WWW Email

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: June 22, 2011, 05:15:19 PM »

In a review I hear this game could be beat in an hour and that there isn't much to do after. Normally I don't mind if a game is "short" but is realy good, like Vanquish. But 50 bucks for an 1 hour game ? I think not even Zelda fans would pay this much to play that tech demo from E3 let alone a gesture based game with nothing to do after.

John
Administrator

DeceptiJohn
View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #14 on: June 22, 2011, 05:26:35 PM »

I think that it's a game that appeals in a replayable sense to a certain type of people - the kind of people who dig Treasure games and the like.  I'd never play through Ikaruga again, but I had friends who wanted to get it perfect and to do it in bullet eater mode and the like.  These people are the ones who are going to get the most out of the game.  I bought it to have it and to support the developers.  Not disappointed.

THROW PICKLE IN BURGER TO SPEED UP COMMERCIAL
Pages: [1] 2 3 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: