Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
September 01, 2014, 10:57:55 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz
Next Quiz Date: January 11, 2014
Subject: 999 (Nintendo DS)
For more information click HERE!
330126 Posts in 13528 Topics by 2179 Members
Latest Member: Lian_Kazairl
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Single-Player RPGs
| | |-+  WRPG virgin no more!
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6 Print
Author Topic: WRPG virgin no more!  (Read 6586 times)
Vanguard

I am America, and I hate JRPGs

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: June 20, 2011, 11:35:21 AM »

I'm interested in the answer as well. Personally, I don't see how gender has anything to do with it. Unless you're confusing yourself as the mouthpiece for all of womankind.

Thoren: Astronomers fucking love stars and shit. Whitman was a bitch.
Hidoshi: Walt Whitman could beat you with both dicks tied behind his back.
Der Jermeister

The Angry Videogame Fur

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: June 20, 2011, 02:11:48 PM »

blah blah blah

You actually liked Baldur's Gate? You have my deepest condolences.

kyuusei
Mr. Lightning Bolt
Administrator

Blame the dragoon.

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 20, 2011, 02:22:28 PM »

That train of thought is a load of bull. Speak for yourself all you want, but not for all female players, please and thank you. Now, I know I don't have the most feminine tastes out there, and suppose that at one point JRPGs may have been more appealing to female players, but I know plenty who love Mass Effect, Fallout, Dragon Age, Elder Scrolls etc.

(PS. I lost my WRPG virginity to Mass Effect 2.)

NANOMACHINES, SON.
Summoner Yuna

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: June 20, 2011, 03:45:43 PM »

blah blah blah

Why? It's a great game. Sure, it shows its age in things like the path-finding of the characters (they seem to think they can cross solid barriers like walls) and get in each others way in narrow corridors, the difficulty curve is a little bit uneven, but other than that I can see why it's such a beloved game.

As an aside, I am a girl and now that I've discovered them I love this kind of game and I just purchased Baldur's Gate II and Icewind Dale and I just created my characters en each and I'm ready to play, while I'm starting the first disc of Lunar: Silver Star Story Complete.

An RPG appeals to me whether turn-based or action, W or J, just as long as it has an interesting, great , fully fleshed world, characters I like and gameplay that's fun and not frustrating to an extreme extent. Pretty much what you would ask from any game in any genre, basically.
Demon_Princess_Kay
Banninated

AnarchKay
View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: June 20, 2011, 04:09:50 PM »

I myself find the art style at of most WRPGs and western games in general (at least from this gen) to be overbearingly masculine. Really the only western games i play at all are ones that let you play as a female character or some goofy cartoon mascot. I can't stand the bald roid rage stereotype male characters in western games have become. As much as I love mass effect default shepard needs to burn in hell. Does my gender factor in why i feel this way? I think it does, it might not be the main reason, but it's definitely part of it.

Vanguard

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: June 20, 2011, 04:27:36 PM »

I myself find the art style at of most WRPGs and western games in general (at least from this gen) to be overbearingly masculine. Really the only western games i play at all are ones that let you play as a female character or some goofy cartoon mascot. I can't stand the bald roid rage stereotype male characters in western games have become. As much as I love mass effect default shepard needs to burn in hell. Does my gender factor in why i feel this way? I think it does, it might not be the main reason, but it's definitely part of it.

I would make the argument that video games, as a whole, have gone from being almost exclusively marketed towards men in the west towards a broader audience appeal. Of course, marketing is still slanted towards a male audience, but this generation is the best it's ever been and it's only going to get better.

I don't want to get too deep into a conversation about gender identity, but there is no correlation between your gender and what you like. At least not biologically. What we think of as "masculine" and "feminine" activities are social products, if anything.

Demon_Princess_Kay
Banninated

AnarchKay
View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: June 20, 2011, 04:58:54 PM »

I would make the argument that video games, as a whole, have gone from being almost exclusively marketed towards men in the west towards a broader audience appeal.

Sorry, not seeing it.

Admin Edit: Be sure to re-read the rules about keeping giant images out of standard threads and in the bullshit threads.  Thanks!

« Last Edit: June 20, 2011, 05:31:28 PM by KeeperX » Logged

Vanguard

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: June 20, 2011, 05:07:29 PM »

Please reread my post and try again.

Demon_Princess_Kay
Banninated

AnarchKay
View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: June 20, 2011, 05:28:58 PM »

Please reread my post and try again.

Sorry, still not seeing it.

Admin Edit: Be sure to re-read the rules about keeping giant images out of standard threads and in the bullshit threads.  Thanks!
« Last Edit: June 20, 2011, 05:31:37 PM by KeeperX » Logged

Lazlowe1984
Restricted Members

Centurion

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #24 on: June 20, 2011, 05:31:53 PM »

^^

lol.That is all.

Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: June 20, 2011, 05:32:08 PM »

blah blah blah

I think I hate you.

I would make the argument that video games, as a whole, have gone from being almost exclusively marketed towards men in the west towards a broader audience appeal.

*pictures pictures pictures*

Sorry, not seeing it.

Hmmm.

- Shepard is customizable; while they put that face forward you can either make a guy that isn't a "bald space marine" or even a woman, and also play in a way contrary to, say, Marcus Fenix above. Similar applies to New Vegas actually.

- Duke's a deliberate hold over from the time when game marketing was possibly at it's most testosterone fueled, though it does sound like they made him MUCH worse in the new game.

- I'm pretty sure Nathan Drake counts as one of the better examples actually! At the least he doesn't really represent a power fantasy or anything like some of those other examples.

Not that there can't be improvement here obviously, but I think half the problem is that most women who DO play games would play stuff like Farmville, Angry Birds, or Mystery Case Files. The most serious they'd get is Mario or something I imagine.
Annubis

Something something like a tiger

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #26 on: June 20, 2011, 05:40:22 PM »

My old roomate pretty much played 3 things: FF7, a RockBand game & Windows Solitaire.
Commander Jubby Shepard
What do you call a kid with no arms and an eye patch? Names.

If you come back you will find me a very grave man

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #27 on: June 20, 2011, 05:42:45 PM »

My old roomate pretty much played 3 things: FF7, a RockBand game & Windows Solitaire.

And something tells me he was a happier gamer than most of us will ever be.

If it'll hold Jello, Utah will put Jello in it.
Demon_Princess_Kay
Banninated

AnarchKay
View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #28 on: June 20, 2011, 05:46:22 PM »

Not that there can't be improvement here obviously, but I think half the problem is that most women who DO play games would play stuff like Farmville, Angry Birds, or Mystery Case Files. The most serious they'd get is Mario or something I imagine.

Well I'll give Drake to you the only reason I put him there was because of the look on his face.

Anyways about what i quoted. That's because practically the only things that are marketed over here are shitty shooter sequels, and even in games like mass effect/fallout where the character is customizable the marketing depart only ever really markets the default beefy scowling male character. If games weren't marketed by morons more girls WOULD play more hardcore games end of story.

Annubis

Something something like a tiger

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #29 on: June 20, 2011, 05:53:22 PM »

And something tells me he was a happier gamer than most of us will ever be.

SHE

(sorry I forgot the most important thing in that post ^^;;)

Edit: I also forgot Farmville
« Last Edit: June 20, 2011, 05:58:26 PM by Annubis » Logged
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: