Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 20, 2014, 10:15:31 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz
Next Quiz Date: January 11, 2014
Subject: 999 (Nintendo DS)
For more information click HERE!
319283 Posts in 13036 Topics by 2145 Members
Latest Member: aew0
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  The Rest
| |-+  General Discussions
| | |-+  RPG FAN awards Article
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 Print
Author Topic: RPG FAN awards Article  (Read 1620 times)
VampiricDragon_
Banninated

View Profile Email

Ignore
« on: June 19, 2011, 06:44:33 PM »

Sorry I couldnt take  how many false generalizations and untruths were in this article

1) They couldnt pick a handheld rpgs? you mean like paper mario 3ds, dragon crown, devil survivor 2, dq monsters joker 2,persona 2 IS which were all at the show?

2) There were more jrpgs at the show than W. It wasnt even really close honestly.

wrpgs at e3: mass effect 3, skyrim, risen 2, star wars, kingdom, deus ex, dungeon seige

total: 7

jrpgs: disgaea 4, totori, rune factory, paper mario 3ds, dq monsters joker 2 , devil survivor 2, persona 2 is, ff 13-2, wkc 2, dragon crown, demon souls, agarest war,The Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword,Shin Megami Tensei: Devil Survivor Overclocked

Total: 14

at least.

3) This notion that jrpgs are in decline. Theres more jrpgs on different systems than ever. Each system aside from the ps3 has more jrpgs than its predecessor, and theres more jrpgs in development than any other type at all times. Real decline.

TGS will be amazing this year.

Rant end/

Note: This isnt hate towards the editors just the article.
« Last Edit: June 19, 2011, 06:55:07 PM by VampiricDragon_ » Logged
CDFN

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2011, 06:59:29 PM »

It's just personal opinions, if you "can't take it", you might want to stay away from teh internetz.

All I have to say is that I'm surprised to see FFXIII-2 mentioned so many times. People expecting a huge leap over the previous game are only setting themselves up for disappointment.

Currently playing: Uncharted 3, Dark Souls, Team ICO Collection, Atelier Totori, Child of eden.
Azrael

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2011, 07:07:53 PM »

Well they got to play a demo of the game and from the preview they posted it sounds like it is a huge leap above FFXIII.
CDFN

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2011, 07:11:09 PM »

Well they got to play a demo of the game and from the preview they posted it sounds like it is a huge leap above FFXIII.

I didn't play it but watched several playthroughs of the whole thing. Where is the huge leap exactly?

Currently playing: Uncharted 3, Dark Souls, Team ICO Collection, Atelier Totori, Child of eden.
Commander Jubby Shepard
What do you call a kid with no arms and an eye patch? Names.

If you come back you will find me a very grave man

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: June 19, 2011, 07:13:00 PM »

I didn't play it but watched several playthroughs of the whole thing. Where is the huge leap exactly?

Story and exploration it seems. I don't particularly find the new stuff in the battle system exciting, but as someone who actually really enjoyed FFXIII, I can only hope that Squeenix proves they can make a game that takes the best of a mediocre game and fixes the rest.

If it'll hold Jello, Utah will put Jello in it.
CDFN

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: June 19, 2011, 07:18:33 PM »

Story and exploration it seems. I don't particularly find the new stuff in the battle system exciting, but as someone who actually really enjoyed FFXIII, I can only hope that Squeenix proves they can make a game that takes the best of a mediocre game and fixes the rest.

All we know so far is that Sera is looking for Lightning who everyone thinks is dead but is actually god knows where, the premise of the first game was far more interesting. As for exploration, I sure hope it has been improved, but I wouldn't jump to conclusions based on the map of a single area.

Commander Jubby Shepard
What do you call a kid with no arms and an eye patch? Names.

If you come back you will find me a very grave man

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: June 19, 2011, 07:20:38 PM »

All we know so far is that Sera is looking for Lightning who everyone thinks is dead but is actually god knows where, the premise of the first game was far more interesting. As for exploration, I sure hope it has been improved, but I wouldn't jump to conclusions based on the map of a single area.

I'll give you that bit on the story, but something in me refuses to just give up on Squeenix and presume that the map they showed is the only non-linear area. Maybe my FF phase still lingers inside of me.

If it'll hold Jello, Utah will put Jello in it.
John
Administrator

DeceptiJohn
View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #7 on: June 19, 2011, 07:23:48 PM »

2) There were more jrpgs at the show than W. It wasnt even really close honestly.

wrpgs at e3: Mass Effect 3, Skyrim, Star Wars: TOR, Deus Ex: Human Revolution, Dungeon Siege III, Dead Island, Kingdoms of Amalur: Reckoning, Heroes of Ruin, Crimson Alliance, Dungeons and Dragons: Neverwinter, Dungeons and Dragons: Heroes of Neverwinter, Fable: The Journey, Bastion, Lord of the Rings: War in the North, Star Legends: The Blackstar Chronicles, Star Trek: Infinite Space, Torchlight II, Two Worlds II: Pirates of the Flying Fortress, Wakfu and The Witcher 2 (360 version)

total: 20

jrpgs: disgaea 4, Atelier Totori, Rune Factory, Paper Mario 3DS, Dragon Quest Monsters Joker 2, Devil Survivor 2, Persona 2 Innocent Sin, Final Fantasy XIII-2, White Knight Chronicles 2, Dragon's Crown, Dark Souls, Record of Agarest War,The Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword, Shin Megami Tensei: Devil Survivor Overclocked

Total: 11

Took out three of your JRPGs that were "At the show".  They weren't.

I also added 13 WRPGs that you just happened to miss.

Thanks!
-John

Edit: Also wanted to note that the shift away from handheld/console/pc awards was due to multiplatform titles on the home consoles/pc and the lack of playable handheld titles.  We unfortunately didn't feel any of the handheld titles we got hands-on time with were stand-out.  Rather than give out an award "by default", we decided to shift to genre awards.
« Last Edit: June 19, 2011, 07:29:27 PM by KeeperX » Logged

THROW PICKLE IN BURGER TO SPEED UP COMMERCIAL
kyuusei
Mr. Lightning Bolt
Administrator

Blame the dragoon.

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 19, 2011, 07:25:17 PM »

Agarest wasnt there. Nor was Innocent Sin, and the Devil Survivor games were shown to two staffers - but only briefly, and there was no public access to these. NIS only had Totori and Square only had XIII-2 even though both have more JRPGs in the works. And then there's the Japanese games that I have trouble calling JRPGs as they seem much more western-influenced, like Dark Souls and Dragon's Dogma.

Believe me, it's not like we didn't look or didn't want to not find more JRPGs at the show. We looked, and were generally disappointed by the lack of JRPGs there. This was the first time ever that we saw so little compared to what we're used to.

NANOMACHINES, SON.
Alisha

Z0eila@hotmail.com Z0eila
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: June 19, 2011, 07:40:50 PM »

for me personally its hard to complain about this article when jrpgs had such an abysmal showing at e3. it really hit home for me this year that E3 is NOT for fans. isnt there a show thats more for fans coming up later? anyways of the games i saw one im excited for is the new SSX game. for me the series peaked at tricky so im curious to see where they go with this one.

“Normal is not something to aspire to, it's something to get away from.”
Embryon
RPGFan Editor

Achieve enlightenment.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: June 19, 2011, 07:45:58 PM »

♪ Oh where, oh where has my Xenoblade gone
Oh where, oh where can it be?
Oh where, oh where has my Xenoblade gone
I'd love a new JRPG ♪

"Man up and take your handjob." - dyeager
CDFN

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: June 19, 2011, 07:47:51 PM »

I'll give you that bit on the story, but something in me refuses to just give up on Squeenix and presume that the map they showed is the only non-linear area. Maybe my FF phase still lingers inside of me.

No offense man but aren't you 15 years old? You werent even born when Square was at its prime. You may have played the older games but you didn't actually see square growing and becoming the best rpg developer in the world only to become a shadow of its former self. It's like hearing someone who only started listening to metallica in 2003 giving lectures about how they sold out and betrayed the fans.
Anyway, after the unbelievable amount of hate that the game (and the few people who actually admitted liking it, like myself) got, I find it surprising that a sequel that at the end of day looks like more of the same with a few twists is creating such high expectations. Even I don't find myself particularly excited for what has been shown so far.

I was hoping that they would take Lightning, surround her with a few interesting characters instead of kids to babysit and put them in a plot that would actually explore the mythology behind the first game which went completely over everyone's head and has great potential.
Instead I see Serah taking the main role along with some other kid that has done nothing for me so far and since 2 characters isn't enough to form a party they threw in a pokemon feature which reminds me that the demo didn't have a single new monster except for atlas.
I hope I'm wrong, probably more than most people here since I enjoyed the first game and Lightning as a character, but for now I'm not feeling the sequel.

CDFN

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: June 19, 2011, 07:58:53 PM »

Thanks for pointing out all the "omissions" in the OP John, I was already doing a compilation of my own. I actually find it hard to believe that after an E3 that was one of the worst ever for jrpgs someone would actually say otherwise.
With games like the witcher 2, mass effect 3, skyrim and deus ex you have to be completely delusional if you think that the output coming from Japan is even remotely comparable to what is being done in the West as far as rpgs are concerned.
Look at the 32 bit era and look at we have now and tell me with a straight face that there isn't a decline in the quality of jrpgs. It's not a notion, it's a sad fact.

VampiricDragon_
Banninated

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: June 19, 2011, 08:04:42 PM »

most of those wrpgs listed arent even rpgs at all. My list is the most complete in terms of what rpgs were at the show. And yes they all were in some form.

still
« Last Edit: June 19, 2011, 08:07:39 PM by VampiricDragon_ » Logged
VampiricDragon_
Banninated

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: June 19, 2011, 08:06:06 PM »

I just wanted to reiterate. This isnt j vs w or anything negative about the editors.

Just my feedback on the article itself which I felt was heavy handed and not 100 percent accurate.
« Last Edit: June 19, 2011, 08:15:04 PM by VampiricDragon_ » Logged
Pages: [1] 2 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: