Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
August 23, 2014, 02:25:53 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz
Next Quiz Date: January 11, 2014
Subject: 999 (Nintendo DS)
For more information click HERE!
329495 Posts in 13500 Topics by 2179 Members
Latest Member: Lian_Kazairl
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  The Rest
| |-+  General Discussions
| | |-+  The New E3 Awards Thread™
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 Print
Author Topic: The New E3 Awards Thread™  (Read 1849 times)
John
Administrator

DeceptiJohn
View Profile WWW Email
« on: June 19, 2011, 09:11:34 PM »

So, we had a chance to see tens of RPGs at E3 and we called out a few that were quality.  What were you most excited for?

THROW PICKLE IN BURGER TO SPEED UP COMMERCIAL
Kstar
Editor Emeritus

I Remember Everything

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2011, 09:13:56 PM »

Rune Factory: Tides of Destiny is looking great!  I really think it will surpass Frontier's awesomeness.  Also, finally found an MMORPG to log some major hours into - Star Wars: The Old Republic.

"We're all lying in the gutter, but some of us are looking at the stars" -Oscar Wilde

"To be a star, you must shine your own light, follow your own path, and don't worry about the darkness, for that is when the stars shine brightest."
Starmongoose
Contributing Editor

Vicious Feminist

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2011, 09:14:22 PM »

Devil Survivor 2! And oh god was the news you posted sweeeet.

SAVE THE PENGUIN!

Here to suck the fun out of games.
Vanguard

I am America, and I hate JRPGs

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2011, 09:15:34 PM »

Nothing really caught my eye this year. I pretty much only play handhelds these days and since we're in a transition period, there wasn't a huge showing.

That being said, I'm glad that, despite being in Japanese, what exposure DS2 got seems to have left a good impression. I should get around to playing the first one sometime.

Thoren: Astronomers fucking love stars and shit. Whitman was a bitch.
Hidoshi: Walt Whitman could beat you with both dicks tied behind his back.
Ashton
Contributing Editor

Lawful Asshole

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: June 19, 2011, 09:18:45 PM »

Mass Effect 3!

John
Administrator

DeceptiJohn
View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #5 on: June 19, 2011, 09:23:13 PM »

That being said, I'm glad that, despite being in Japanese, what exposure DS2 got seems to have left a good impression. I should get around to playing the first one sometime.

Yeah, if you were a fan of the original Devil Survivor, chances are you will like this one.  I am excited to see the new social link system in it.

THROW PICKLE IN BURGER TO SPEED UP COMMERCIAL
Alisha

Z0eila@hotmail.com Z0eila
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: June 19, 2011, 10:49:15 PM »

social links huh? that just increased my interest in DS2 :D

“Normal is not something to aspire to, it's something to get away from.”
Commander Jubby Shepard
What do you call a kid with no arms and an eye patch? Names.

If you come back you will find me a very grave man

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: June 19, 2011, 11:12:11 PM »

I'm excited for quite a bit of things.

Skyward Sword is my number 1 right now. I'm a huge Zelda fanboy and this one is looking to be particularly great. After Twilight Princess and Phantom Hourglass left me so disappointed, Spirit Tracks really raised my spirits for the series. Then everything about SS was shown and... well...
this is what happened.

After that I find Devil Survivor Overclocked and Devil Survivor 2 to really peak my interest. I never played Devil Survivor, so the remake's extra content really excites me. Devil Survivor 2 should be well received by any SMT or SRPG fan from the sounds of it. I loved Social Links in P3 and P4, so I'm sure they'll be great in DS2.

I know it's not an RPG, but Catherine seems like the kind of Adventure game we'd normally cover. Everything about it seems awesome so far. The only qualm I may have is the sexuality of it all, but even that seems like it'll be handled well, unlike a lot of other Japanese games.

I've never played a Rune Factory game, and my entire experience with a Harvest Moon lasted five minutes, but something about Rune Factory: Oceans just seems so perfect. Maybe it's the exploration, or maybe it's the combination of farming (I'll admit it, I had a good time with Farmville for the few months I played it) and dungeon crawling, but everything just looks like it's coming together so well.

I'm confused about whether or not El-Shaddai is an ARPG or just an action game like Okami, but DAMN that game looked great.

Dragon's Crown and Heroes of Ruin look pretty good, as well as Grand Knight History. I'm kind of excited for Atelier Totori, but I don't have a PS3, so...

I can't think of anything else that excited me other than that. Maybe Dark Souls, but I wanted to play Demon's Souls first...

Edit: And how could I forget Kingdoms of Amalur? That looks great.

Was Darksiders 2 shown there or elsewhere? If it was shown there, I'm excited for that.
« Last Edit: June 20, 2011, 12:01:50 AM by Commander Jubby Shepard » Logged

If it'll hold Jello, Utah will put Jello in it.
Aeolus
I'm not evil!

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: June 20, 2011, 06:54:25 AM »

Nintendo led off with that whole Zelda tribute.

After that it was hearing that we're getting DQMJ2.

Basically E3 was hearing Nintendo say that Zelda's 25 now. From here on it's a race between her and her boobs to see which sags to the ground first.

You've misunderstood me. I just seek your death only because you're in the way of my goal of world conquest. I can't help it that I have evil ambitions and am named Dark Lord. Honest.
CDFN

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: June 20, 2011, 08:51:30 AM »

Mass Effect 3, Dark Souls and Devil Survivor 2 are the most exciting for me.

Currently playing: Uncharted 3, Dark Souls, Team ICO Collection, Atelier Totori, Child of eden.
Yoda
Son of Dad

Darkness is Void; Juffo-Wup is light

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: June 20, 2011, 12:40:26 PM »

What was shown of ME3 hasn't knocked my socks off. I'm getting it day one, and will have tons of fun, but I'm not thrilled about the story turned out.

I like the idea of the Reapers and it makes me think of Star Control II (in that universe a terrible evil wipes out all sentient life every now and then) but all of a sudden from what I've seen the reapers are fightable. I hope there's a great explanation for this, because are we to expect the galaxy's greatest threat to be taken out by mounted gun on the back of a mako?

Unless I'm mistaken, and the stuff they were blowing up in the E3 trailers was in fact not the reapers but geth or something
kyuusei
Mr. Lightning Bolt
Administrator

Blame the dragoon.

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 20, 2011, 01:07:27 PM »

They did fight a giant Geth in the demo. That's what Shepard was fighting on the back of a vehicle. Reapers showed up in part three of our demo, attacking a city (as I've said, Vancouver) but Shepard had to take off in the Normandy. This was early in the game.

In the other part of the demo, they fought Cerberus troops. The improvements aren't huge, but they're little ones that I liked from what I saw.

The story.. we don't know how it turns out. They aren't saying shit, other than Cerberus being against you now.

NANOMACHINES, SON.
Yoda
Son of Dad

Darkness is Void; Juffo-Wup is light

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: June 20, 2011, 01:15:45 PM »

I stand corrected.

I have faith
GrimReality
Dark Lord of Nostalgia

OK, options aren't SO bad

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: June 20, 2011, 01:55:53 PM »

I want to know as little as possible about ME3 before playing it. It is one of only a few games I am truly excited for, so I want nothing spoiled. I haven't even watched any gameplay videos or anything. Just the one trailer and that's it.

For some reason the Skyward Sword videos have kinda dampened my enthusiasm for it. I know it will be great, and I'll most likely enjoy it, but it just looks so....juvenile? Not any different than Zelda has always looked, really.  It's more my own evolving tastes. I like my games "darker" and more mature, as cliche as that sounds nowadays.

Playing:
Reading: Mistborn by Brandon Sanderson
CDFN

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: June 20, 2011, 02:29:37 PM »

Considering how much havoc sovereign wreaked before he went down I really hope that by the end of this game you wont be shooting down reapers like they're some normal enemies. These things are supposed to be nigh indestructable and an unstoppable force, I'm really curious to see how they handled the story. This has potential to be the biggest letdown in videogame history, I'm literally praying that they'll be able to surprise us with the ending. Of course there will have to a way to stop them but it better be something unexpected and that makes sense at the same time. If they just pull a last minute miracle solution out of their asses or simply make us shoot at them till they go down, blood will be spilled.

Currently playing: Uncharted 3, Dark Souls, Team ICO Collection, Atelier Totori, Child of eden.
Pages: [1] 2 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: