Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
July 26, 2014, 11:21:48 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz
Next Quiz Date: January 11, 2014
Subject: 999 (Nintendo DS)
For more information click HERE!
327467 Posts in 13409 Topics by 2169 Members
Latest Member: KopeAcetic
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Site Related & More
| |-+  RPGFan: The Site
| | |-+  Screenshot Galleries
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Screenshot Galleries  (Read 3285 times)
Vanguard

I am America, and I hate JRPGs

View Profile

Ignore
« on: June 19, 2011, 09:25:25 PM »

I don't know if anyone has suggested this before, but would it be possible to make the screenshot galleries a little less manual? Opening a new tab or clicking back in between pictures makes it tedious to look through some of the larger collections of screenshots. What if clicking on a screenshot opened it in a viewer where you could go back and forth between the whole gallery? Or, beneath each picture, "next" and "back" options were added?

Just a suggestion.

Thoren: Astronomers fucking love stars and shit. Whitman was a bitch.
Hidoshi: Walt Whitman could beat you with both dicks tied behind his back.
John
Administrator

DeceptiJohn
View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2011, 09:41:02 PM »

I would love to do that.  Unfortunately, the process for navigating the galleries is even less manual than creating them - we pretty much have to go and create all of the HTML by hand, and it can get time consuming.  We're hoping to get things more streamlined eventually, though.

THROW PICKLE IN BURGER TO SPEED UP COMMERCIAL
Maxximum
Not quite over gaming

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2011, 10:05:46 AM »

I'm fairly sure there are ready to use and easy to implement javascript codes that handle this kind of thing floating around the web. Truth be told, you might want to consider switching over to a web application framework like e107 or Modx. The more functions you add the harder it will be to manage without a proper admin panel (you say everything has to be added manually through HTML so I assume you don't have one).
« Last Edit: June 26, 2011, 10:07:21 AM by Maxximum » Logged

NOW PLAYING:
Hearthstone: I don't like card games, and yet I enjoy this.
Chaos on Deponia: Beat the first one, went straight for the second one, that says a lot.
F.E.A.R. 2: Project Origin: Seems ok, has mouse issues.
Akanbe-

Cheap? I paid a lot for this hat!

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2011, 04:55:40 PM »

I'm fairly sure there are ready to use and easy to implement javascript codes that handle this kind of thing floating around the web. Truth be told, you might want to consider switching over to a web application framework like e107 or Modx. The more functions you add the harder it will be to manage without a proper admin panel (you say everything has to be added manually through HTML so I assume you don't have one).

You're talking to a site that didn't have a RSS feed until mid to late 2010.

If you want to look at multiple pictures you might as well open the gallery in a new window and go middle mouse click crazy on pictures you want to see.

"Karma is...secret top tier"~Starmongoose
XBL ID: Akanbe
PSN ID: Akanbe9
Twitter@AkanbeRPG
Ramza
Enjoying Retirement
Editor Emeritus

TSDPatGann
View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: June 27, 2011, 06:24:45 PM »

Would you like to be the slave volunteer that helps transition this site to savvy web2.0 goodness? Because we've had about seven bajillion false starts from people with good intentions and never enough time.

/bitterjadedformerstafferrant

Maxximum
Not quite over gaming

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: June 28, 2011, 03:08:22 PM »

Would you like to be the slave volunteer that helps transition this site to savvy web2.0 goodness? Because we've had about seven bajillion false starts from people with good intentions and never enough time.

/bitterjadedformerstafferrant

I would, had I the appropriate web skills to take on a project like this. Sadly, I don't at the moment, but maybe in a few months...

NOW PLAYING:
Hearthstone: I don't like card games, and yet I enjoy this.
Chaos on Deponia: Beat the first one, went straight for the second one, that says a lot.
F.E.A.R. 2: Project Origin: Seems ok, has mouse issues.
dyeager
RPGFan Editor

Code Monkey Like Fritos

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 28, 2011, 03:23:28 PM »

The problem is definitely time.

I've got the skills as I do that sort of thing (programming) for a living - but I don't do it for RPGFan for a living. See the difference?

The staff all works because they love the site, not because we make anything. When we've got time we do the best we can to improve things. Considering you usually get precisely what you pay for, I think RPGFan does exceptionally. But I'm biased. :-)

For my part I'm constantly looking for ways to improve the site through small increments (like the aforementioned RSS feed and sortable tables for reviews for example), but anybody that thinks it is a "simple matter of programming"... well, frankly probably hasn't done much programming.

Anyway, we've definitely looked at some of those things mentioned in this thread, particularly when it comes to gallery navigation, trust me. But there are factors to consider that you're not necessarily aware of if you're looking in from the outside.

Not the greatest answer I know, and I certainly don't want to discourage suggestions or the desire to help improve the site. Just pointing out that the biggest obstacle when RPGFan site work is our second/third jobs is TIME, not skills.

That and an absolutely massive amount of content... :-)

All of this is a long way of saying that making the galleries easier to navigate is a good suggestion, one that we are in the midst of investigating. Thanks very much!
« Last Edit: June 28, 2011, 03:29:24 PM by dyeager » Logged
Ramza
Enjoying Retirement
Editor Emeritus

TSDPatGann
View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: June 28, 2011, 07:51:10 PM »

I should note that Yeager has been our best asset for improvements in a LONG time. We wouldn't have an RSS feed, sortable tables, and a bevy of other features, without his efforts!

kyuusei
Mr. Lightning Bolt
Administrator

Blame the dragoon.

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 28, 2011, 08:13:04 PM »

Yeah, it definitely takes the time that we don't have, like the others have already said. We'd love to and we're looking into some of these suggestions - since I create like half these galleries these days I'd love them to be more easy to navigate.

For all the stuff that we HAVE managed to implement, Dave has been a big help in all this as well. :-) (Also, Pat beat me to it.)

NANOMACHINES, SON.
Vanguard

I am America, and I hate JRPGs

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: June 29, 2011, 08:34:37 AM »

I assumed that if it was easy, it would have happened already. Thanks for the replies though.

Thoren: Astronomers fucking love stars and shit. Whitman was a bitch.
Hidoshi: Walt Whitman could beat you with both dicks tied behind his back.
dyeager
RPGFan Editor

Code Monkey Like Fritos

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 29, 2011, 08:48:45 AM »

Seriously, thanks for the suggestion! It does help us know how to prioritize the things we're looking at when we have user feedback!
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: