Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 23, 2014, 09:11:28 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz!
Persona 3 FES Quiz is now OVER!
Winner was user: Monsoon!
334705 Posts in 13708 Topics by 2200 Members
Latest Member: Rgeneb1
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Single-Player RPGs
| | |-+  RPGs for Android
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: RPGs for Android  (Read 1713 times)
Kevadu

Some guy

View Profile Email

Ignore
« on: June 20, 2011, 06:15:20 AM »

So I recently purchased a shiny new Android tablet (Asus Eee Pad Transformer to be precise).  I've been playing around with it and it's pretty cool, but naturally at some point I had to ask the questiion: are there any good RPGs for Android?  Turns out that there are actually quite a few titles out there.  More than I expected.  Whether or not they are actually good is another question.  So I thought I would list a few that caught my eye and ask if anyone else has had any experience with them.  Keep in mind that most (maybe all...I don't know) of these are also available for iOS devices.

Of course there are user reviews for all of these games in the Android Marketplace but they don't seem to be terribly...discriminating.  It seems like if the game runs everybody gives it 5 stars...

Zenonia and Zenonia II - I know RPGFan reviewed these for iOS.  They sounded pretty grindy, though, and I don't like grindy.  On the other hand they're only $.99 each right now, but I'm more worried about wasting my time than my money.

Battleheart - This is one of the most intriguing looking titles on this list.  The combat looks sort of RTS-ish but with a small party of characters that have multiple moves available.  And touch controls, of course, but that should work really well for that sort of thing.  The graphics are cartoonish, reminds me of Castle Crashers.  I think I will definitely check this one out at some point.

Illusia - By the same people who made the Zenonia games but it's a side-scrolling action RPG this time.  I see a lot of people bitching about the controls, though.

Spectral Souls: Resurrection of the Ethereal Empires - This was one of the biggests WTFs for me.  This appears to be a full port of the PSP SRPG by the same name.  Which would be cool, except that game was such an obscure title that got pretty bad reviews.  The guys who put this on the Android Marketplace don't appear to have ported any other SRPGs...of all the titles to start with, why this one?

The Symphony of the Eternity - Appears to be an original JRPG in the style of classic SNES titles.  I don't know much about it, though.

History: Great Battles Medieval - I wan't sure whether to include this or not but at least one review described it as a strategy RPG.  Definitely leans more towards the strategy side, but that's OK with me.  Actually, the fact that this game runs on Android devices at all is seriously cool.  It appears to be a straight port of the console game by the same name.  On the downside that console game didn't really get glowing reviews, but from the screenshots I've seen this is certainly one of the most visually impressive Android games on the market.

OK, that's enough of a list.  There are plenty more generic-looking titles but they all sort of blend together after a while.  So has anyone here played any of these?

deathsaber

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2011, 10:13:16 AM »

Zenonia is probably the best.  Its a little grindy like you said, but it an action rpg ala the original zelda so fights last seconds and it keeps you engaged since its fast paced.  For a buck, I can't see any reason to not try it because its a fun diversion and I enjoy powering up my guy.

Spectral Souls was kind of considered a middle of the road strategy rpg on psp, but its seems to be much better received on android, where people are basically amazed to play a console quality full length rpg.  The console reviews all basically said it wasn't a bad game, it just didn't stand out amoungst other countless games in the genre, but if you want a strategy rpg to play on your phone, this seems to be your ticket. 
MeshGearFox

HERE ON RUM ISLAND WE DO NOT BELIEVE IN RUM!

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2011, 08:41:41 PM »

Dink Smallwood

o/` I do not feel joy o/`
o/` I do not dream o/`
o/` I only stare at the door and smoke o/`

Kevadu

Some guy

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: June 21, 2011, 05:54:50 AM »

So I bought Battleheart and played it for a couple hours.  This game is super fun.  I like that it feels like it was actually designed for touch controls rather than crammed into them (virtual joysticks suck).  You control a party of four in realtime battles with a very intuitive interface.  Want your fighter to attack somebody?  Just draw a line with your finger from the fighter to the enemy.  Want your cleric to heal the fighter?  Draw a line from the cleric to the fighter, etc.  But there is actually a lot of variation in the way things play out based on how you compose your party.  There are a bunch of different characters you can recruit representing a wide variety of classes.  Each class learns special moves as they level up that are activated by tapping on the character to select him/her and then tapping on the corresponding icon in the top left of the screen.  These special moves can be anything basic damage-dealing attacks to making a character immune to attack for a short period of time to freezing all enemies in time, making enemies run away in fear, etc.  Each class gets a ton of different moves to choose from and they add a lot of depth to the gameplay.

On the downside there isn't much of a plot.  It's all about the combat, but the combat plus all the party building and upgrading mechanics make it very addictive.  From what I've seen so far for just $2.99 I highly recommend this game.  One concern I should note is that I'm playing it on a tablet and it feels perfect for it, but when there's a lot going on a cell phone screen might get pretty crowded and I could imagine it being difficult to select exactly what you want with your fat finger.  On a tablet, though, this game rocks.

Prime Mover

All's fair in love, war, and the recording studio

Shattre
View Profile WWW Email

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: June 21, 2011, 01:21:38 PM »

Here's an RPG for Android: it's called iPhone

Oh wait, it's not for Android

And it's not even a game!

Oh well, it still kicks the $#%& out of Android!

;) (all in good fun)

eelhouse.net
- order the new album

Currently Playing: Metroid Prime 2, Trails in the Sky, Bioshock: Infinite
Currently Listening to: Devin Townsend, Dream Theater
Watching: Star Trek: TOS, Slayers, Doctor Who (as usual)
dyeager
RPGFan Editor

Code Monkey Like Fritos

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 21, 2011, 04:54:56 PM »

Battleheart is really fun. I have an iPhone but there is a lot of crossover to Android.

Other games worth checking out are anything by Kairosoft. Literally anything. These include Game Dev Story, Hot Springs Story, and currently for Android only (jealously waiting for iOS US release) Grand Prix Story. These games are crazy addictive.
Kevadu

Some guy

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: June 22, 2011, 06:17:51 AM »

These games are crazy addictive.

Damn it, even though you told me that I saw that there was a free 'lite' verion of Grand Prix Story so I fgured what they hey, I'll see what it's all about...right before I was going to go to bed.  It's now 3:15am and I've played through everything in that lite version...

MindCandy

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: June 22, 2011, 06:51:11 AM »

If you're really, REALLY old school, Gerk is an 8 bit RPG in the spirit of Ultima, and Star Traider ROG is like a pen and paper RPG with minimal graphics, more or less in the same family as the original Pirates!

Currently playing:
Xbox 360 - NIER
Wii - Metroid Prime 2: Echos (trilogy version)
PSP - Disgaea
DS - SMT: Devil Survivor
dyeager
RPGFan Editor

Code Monkey Like Fritos

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 22, 2011, 09:03:16 AM »

These games are crazy addictive.

Damn it, even though you told me that I saw that there was a free 'lite' verion of Grand Prix Story so I fgured what they hey, I'll see what it's all about...right before I was going to go to bed.  It's now 3:15am and I've played through everything in that lite version...

Awesome, I'm psyched about that eventually making its way to iOS also! Definitely check out Game Dev Story as well, I still play the heck out of that one. Hot Springs Story is great but doesn't quite have the instant gratification loop that Game Dev Story and (by reputation) Grand Prix Story have.
Darklight

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: June 22, 2011, 11:27:06 PM »

Hey Kevadu, Get the GBA emulator for android, then you'll have access to a tonne of rpg's. For android, Zenonia is loads of fun
Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 23, 2011, 12:48:17 AM »

Hey Kevadu, Get the GBA emulator for android, then you'll have access to a tonne of rpg's. For android, Zenonia is loads of fun

Warning you now, talking about that explicitly is frowned upon here and can get you banned, especially since I doubt most people care to rip their own GBA collection for that purpose.
Darklight

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: June 23, 2011, 02:52:11 AM »

Eek! Fair enough

Another one to try, Crusade Of destiny. Though it seems quite beta and you can't quit without hitting home, It's coming along nicely.
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: