Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
August 22, 2014, 10:00:49 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz
Next Quiz Date: January 11, 2014
Subject: 999 (Nintendo DS)
For more information click HERE!
329393 Posts in 13492 Topics by 2179 Members
Latest Member: Lian_Kazairl
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Single-Player RPGs
| | |-+  Junior Community Manager makes false claims about Tales of Vesperia exclusivity!
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 9 Print
Author Topic: Junior Community Manager makes false claims about Tales of Vesperia exclusivity!  (Read 9732 times)
CDFN

View Profile

Ignore
« on: June 20, 2011, 02:46:51 PM »

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2011-06-20-microsoft-blocked-ps3-tales-of-vesperia

This shit really pisses me off. And the heavy rain analogy is BULLSHIT. Sony published and financed the game, they didn't pay the game's publisher to not release it on another platform. Fuck this shit.

ADMIN EDIT: Paid, not payed.

ADMIN EDIT 2: Changing the topic title entirely because of someone coming in and not looking at the prior posts first.
« Last Edit: July 04, 2011, 02:08:45 AM by Eusis » Logged

Currently playing: Uncharted 3, Dark Souls, Team ICO Collection, Atelier Totori, Child of eden.
Annubis

Something something like a tiger

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2011, 02:58:19 PM »

And I was starting to think Microsoft wasn't evil anymore.
Well, there goes that idea...
Vanguard

I am America, and I hate JRPGs

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2011, 02:58:54 PM »

Hopefully Lulzsec hacks them for this.

Thoren: Astronomers fucking love stars and shit. Whitman was a bitch.
Hidoshi: Walt Whitman could beat you with both dicks tied behind his back.
Commander Jubby Shepard
What do you call a kid with no arms and an eye patch? Names.

If you come back you will find me a very grave man

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2011, 04:02:00 PM »

Maybe I'm just a bit too Jewish but... This sounds like business as usual. You pay for its release, you're going to want all the money for it. Nothing to surprising here. I actually kind of expected it to be honest.

If it'll hold Jello, Utah will put Jello in it.
Mickeymac92

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: June 20, 2011, 04:15:54 PM »

Yeah, business as usual. And I thought this was well known years ago. I coulda sworn there were news articles way back when talking about how Microsoft paid for the localization.

http://myanimelist.net/profile/mickeymac92

“MY NAME IS POKEY THE PENGUIN I LOVE CHESS!! IT IS LIKE BALLET ONLY WITH MORE EXPLOSIONS!”
Akanbe-

Cheap? I paid a lot for this hat!

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: June 20, 2011, 04:23:05 PM »

This sounds like business as usual. You pay for its release, you're going to want all the money for it. Nothing to surprising here. I actually kind of expected it to be honest.

Pretty much.  Not surprised at all except for the fact that they did it for Tales.  The new content is nice, but it sucks some people might miss out because they don't have a 360.

The real question is, will people stop saying "WHERE'S VESPERIA???" on every Tales related news article?

"Karma is...secret top tier"~Starmongoose
PSN ID: Akanbe9
Der Jermeister

The Angry Videogame Fur

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: June 20, 2011, 04:27:53 PM »

Boo. I don't want to pay for an Xbox 360 just for this game, I'll just import the PS3 version once I've honed my Japanese skills a little more.

CDFN

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: June 20, 2011, 04:32:47 PM »

Business as usual my ass, timed exclusives and exclusive content are one thing but preventing a game from being released altogether? Fuck that. When NB accepted this deal they were basically saying fuck you to all PS3 owners outside of Japan, yet now they want us to buy graces f and xillia. Well it's my turn to say fuck you to these assholes. Respect isn't a one-way street.

Currently playing: Uncharted 3, Dark Souls, Team ICO Collection, Atelier Totori, Child of eden.
Kevadu

Some guy

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: June 20, 2011, 04:45:34 PM »

Boo. I don't want to pay for an Xbox 360 just for this game, I'll just import the PS3 version once I've honed my Japanese skills a little more.

That's what I did.  Go for it.  One nice thing about the game is that all the plot-related dialogue is voiced, which helps a lot if you run across kanji you don't know (much easier to look up with the pronunciation).  The same isn't true for every conversation with random townspeople, but that's not a huge deal.

Yoda
Son of Dad

Darkness is Void; Juffo-Wup is light

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: June 20, 2011, 04:46:03 PM »

Business as usual my ass, timed exclusives and exclusive content are one thing but preventing a game from being released altogether? Fuck that. When NB accepted this deal they were basically saying fuck you to all PS3 owners outside of Japan, yet now they want us to buy graces f and xillia. Well it's my turn to say fuck you to these assholes. Respect isn't a one-way street.

I'm pretty sure this has been going on in some fashion for a very long time in the game industry.

think about all the "exclusive" style games over the years that have only appeared on certain systems (3rd party). You don't think there were some mega drive owners pissed off in the 90s because Final Fantasy or Dragon Quest were on Super Nintendo?

Annubis

Something something like a tiger

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: June 20, 2011, 04:51:33 PM »

This is different Yoda, the game does exist already. It just won't get localized.
Yoda
Son of Dad

Darkness is Void; Juffo-Wup is light

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: June 20, 2011, 05:00:20 PM »

i feel dumb.

but lay off. on 4 hours of sleep here
CDFN

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: June 20, 2011, 05:01:41 PM »

I'm pretty sure this has been going on in some fashion for a very long time in the game industry.

think about all the "exclusive" style games over the years that have only appeared on certain systems (3rd party). You don't think there were some mega drive owners pissed off in the 90s because Final Fantasy or Dragon Quest were on Super Nintendo?

This is different. The PS3 version exists and people legitimately expected to be able to play it eventually. You could only use the above comparison if FFIV-VI had been released for the genesis in Japan and Nintendo had stepped in to prevent it from reaching the western markets. Those were always super nes games from the start, not to mention that the franchise had always been on nintendo hardware. When the game was first announced PS3 owners naturally assumed that they would be able to play it, now we know that someone payed someone else to keep away from us and that doesn't sit right with me.
If you want to shrug it off because it's normal in the industry be my guest.

Edit: Annubis explained it in a single sentence.

Commander Jubby Shepard
What do you call a kid with no arms and an eye patch? Names.

If you come back you will find me a very grave man

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: June 20, 2011, 05:03:09 PM »

If you want to shrug it off because it's normal in the industry be my guest.

I'm gonna have to shrug it off because if I were in MS's boots, I probably would have written the contract in the same way.

If it'll hold Jello, Utah will put Jello in it.
Tomara

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: June 20, 2011, 05:11:07 PM »

So uhm, Microsoft kinda paid Namco Bandai to make sure the game wasn't available? I mean, Tales of Vesperia in general, not just the PlayStation 3 version. I tried to get a copy some nine months or so after its initial release. The game was nearly impossible to find. The first copy I found was a used one that didn't even work. Luckily I found a webshop that still had it in stock. Oh, but the in stock thing was a lie. After two weeks e-mailing back and forth, they told me that they could get me a used copy from the UK for €45. But they weren't going to test if the game actually worked and I would be getting no warranty whatsoever. Um, yeah, no thanks. A week after that I finally found a new copy. It wasn't cheap, but atleast the extra cash went to a proper gamestore with good service...

I really, really, really hate Namco Bandai.
« Last Edit: June 21, 2011, 03:36:02 AM by Tomara » Logged
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 9 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: