Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
July 29, 2014, 03:15:23 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz
Next Quiz Date: January 11, 2014
Subject: 999 (Nintendo DS)
For more information click HERE!
327664 Posts in 13414 Topics by 2169 Members
Latest Member: KopeAcetic
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Single-Player RPGs
| | |-+  Junior Community Manager makes false claims about Tales of Vesperia exclusivity!
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 9 Print
Author Topic: Junior Community Manager makes false claims about Tales of Vesperia exclusivity!  (Read 9703 times)
Parn

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #45 on: June 21, 2011, 08:42:55 AM »

Nah, it's not stupid at all, especially when you consider the fact that Tales of Vesperia, along with several other JRPGs early into this console generation, were subsidized by Microsoft for the purposes of getting a foothold in Japan.  HD game development was non-existent in Japan at the time, and PS3 dev tools were a joke.  Microsoft on the other hand, had easy to use tools and had moneyhats in hand to get whatever exclusivity they could get, temporary or otherwise.  For all intents and purposes, Tales of Vesperia was a Microsoft funded game.  It was win-win for Japanese developers wanting to gain entry into next-gen console development.

If anyone should be annoyed, it's 360 owners since content was intentionally withheld from the 360 release of Vesperia to make the year later PS3 version better, as evidenced by the game's code and even dialogue referencing a character that wasn't in the game that was unveiled as "new" for the PS3 release.  Not that I really am upset BTW, since Patty is just a stupid loli.  But this hysteria over Vesperia (lol) is pretty amusing.
Tomara

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #46 on: June 21, 2011, 10:04:56 AM »

Nah, it's not stupid at all, especially when you consider the fact that Tales of Vesperia, along with several other JRPGs early into this console generation, were subsidized by Microsoft for the purposes of getting a foothold in Japan.  HD game development was non-existent in Japan at the time, and PS3 dev tools were a joke.  Microsoft on the other hand, had easy to use tools and had moneyhats in hand to get whatever exclusivity they could get, temporary or otherwise.  For all intents and purposes, Tales of Vesperia was a Microsoft funded game.  It was win-win for Japanese developers wanting to gain entry into next-gen console development.

That makes sense. The whole 'Microsoft paid Namco to keep Tales of Vesperia a Xbox 360 exclusive in the west' thing does not. If I were Microsoft, I would either concentrate on the Japanse market (it's not as if Namco Bandai would ever port a Tales game to a different system to please gamers outside of Japan) or go for a worldwide deal. If what was said in that article was true, Namco Bandai was probably paid to not do something they weren't going to do in the first place. I wish I could earn a living like that... Getting paid to not do a job I'm not doing...
Warshade
CustomTitle

cronotimeshero
View Profile WWW Email

Ignore
« Reply #47 on: June 21, 2011, 12:51:22 PM »

Now namco now does not release their games outside japan it seems. Since, and its no surprise most RPG gamers(IMO) bought A PS3. So them releasing TOV and Magna Carta 2 as 360 exclusives did not pan well. I think if TOV would have been multi-platform or a PS3 exclusive we would have tales of graces and xillia heading to the US.

IF MY FATE IS TO DIE, I MUST SIMPLY LAUGH.
Prime Mover

All's fair in love, war, and the recording studio

Shattre
View Profile WWW Email

Ignore
« Reply #48 on: June 21, 2011, 01:18:40 PM »

Meh... it's corrupt, it's evil, blah blah blah.

But from the "improvements" I've heard with the PS3 version, I don't think it would have saved what was essentially a flawed game. The 360 version had too many annoying characters, a broken battle system, and the cut scenes consisted of the characters standing around talking about awesome looking things that you couldn't see. The PS3 version doesn't fix any of that. Instead, it just adds more to the mix.

Look, I love the Tales series, and I had hopes for Vesparia, but it was just FLAT. Especially after the masterpiece that was Abyss. I feel sorry for PS3 owners who got screwed by this deal, but for those who had both consoles, I've always been skeptical of the PS3 "improvements" anyway.

eelhouse.net
- order the new album

Currently Playing: Metroid Prime 2, Trails in the Sky, Bioshock: Infinite
Currently Listening to: Devin Townsend, Dream Theater
Watching: Star Trek: TOS, Slayers, Doctor Who (as usual)
Annubis

Something something like a tiger

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #49 on: June 21, 2011, 01:40:25 PM »

I don't think I'll ever understand why people bash ToV so much or why the existence of Tales of Abyss allows any and all other tales games to be pure shit.
insertnamehere

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #50 on: June 21, 2011, 02:14:18 PM »

Some people on Siliconera think it seems fishy because it was too casual.
I could see that being true.

come get high with me
ba dum tissssss
Agent D.

"Mage"nt D.

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #51 on: June 21, 2011, 02:51:06 PM »

I don't get the Abyss love or hate stuff. I've played essentially every english Tales game except abyss (and legendia, was hard to find at the time), and generally, outside of some serious plot devices, none have ever been dramatically astounding from the next. Why is it abyss lovers call it the greatest game, whereas general Tales fans consider it meh? I always hear the big 2 as Vesperia and Symphonia, but then you get that one Abyss fanboy and all hell breaks loose. Personally, Phantasia is probably the most directly awesome of them all, but that's me.

Hopefully Xillia and Graces F don't suck too bad, but who knows.

TASTY!
Azrael

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #52 on: June 21, 2011, 03:04:04 PM »

I don't think I've seen that too much. It seems like many people would put Abyss up on the same level of Symphonia and Vesperia. Personally I find the Tales series itself to be kind of flat as there really isn't a whole lot that distinguishes one from the next. For some this is a good thing, but I get bored of them easily. Symphonia I did love, but I think it's because of when I played it. Abyss however I found pretty boring.

The other thing with Tales games is I find their worlds to be too generic. The world maps and towns and the way they are structured feel as though they could have just made them text based and it would have had the same effect. In that way I rarely feel immersed in the actual world of the game (which I find myself desiring more and more these days as I rarely find any gaming story to be truly "great").

But the ultimate point here is that the reaction to this "news" is rather petty. I won't say just get an Xbox 360 since even with a decent income spending $2-300 is a lot of money, but this is the way the gaming industry has worked for quite some time and it's just one of those things we have to accept. Perhaps it's better to take a moment and think, "I understand how those guys in Europe must feel since they get shafted so often on games that make its way to the US."
CDFN

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #53 on: June 21, 2011, 03:10:44 PM »

I've been interested in this game since I first saw it and with the jrpg drought we've been seeing this gen I'd definitely buy it even now. Ah well, whatever, shouldn't have taken it for granted, it's pretty sad when you miss out on good games because of shit like this.

Currently playing: Uncharted 3, Dark Souls, Team ICO Collection, Atelier Totori, Child of eden.
Parn

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #54 on: June 21, 2011, 04:16:09 PM »

Quit your bellyaching and just buy a fucking 360 already.  You could have played Vesperia back in 2008 with the rest of us, experienced Lost Odyssey, Blue Dragon, and so on to help fill the "JRPG drought" that you speak of.  Instead of praying to the gods that Guardian Heroes HD and Radiant Silvergun HD somehow get ported to PS3 despite no indication of it happening anytime soon (if ever), you could just play them when they release on 360.  Could also play Rez HD, Ikaruga, and a host of other games.  Hell, you could be playing Child of Eden right now instead of waiting for another Johnny-come-lately PS3 port (at least it's only by a few months this time).  It's a great game, BTW.

The only thing stopping you from playing Tales of Vesperia is you.
Warshade
CustomTitle

cronotimeshero
View Profile WWW Email

Ignore
« Reply #55 on: June 21, 2011, 04:43:01 PM »

Quit your bellyaching and just buy a fucking 360 already.  You could have played Vesperia back in 2008 with the rest of us, experienced Lost Odyssey, Blue Dragon, and so on to help fill the "JRPG drought" that you speak of.  Instead of praying to the gods that Guardian Heroes HD and Radiant Silvergun HD somehow get ported to PS3 despite no indication of it happening anytime soon (if ever), you could just play them when they release on 360.  Could also play Rez HD, Ikaruga, and a host of other games.  Hell, you could be playing Child of Eden right now instead of waiting for another Johnny-come-lately PS3 port (at least it's only by a few months this time).  It's a great game, BTW.

I own all of the consoles from this generation so far. I mentioned the 360 lacking in sales for the rpgs above to state that this is why we are getting shammed on RPG releases now by not only namco but other RPGs and japanese games that normally would have had a shining release in the USA but not companies are eerie about releasing the game in the USA. Non-namco games we would likely already have release dates for. Xenoblade, The Last Story, Pandora's Tower. There is more to mention but I would have to go look up the names. Either way the Japanese presence or lack there of at E3 this year should also tell you something.  Who knows if microsoft did pay off Namco-Bandai to not bring TOV to the USA on the PS3 it may have been a contributing factor to this whole thing. Either way I have plenty of great RPGs to play on my DS which is another place where namco is not releasing their RPGs outside Japan. Here is hoping we at least get Dragon quest X.

IF MY FATE IS TO DIE, I MUST SIMPLY LAUGH.
CDFN

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #56 on: June 21, 2011, 05:55:54 PM »

Hear that people? You all can play all the games you want, just buy the systems they're on! It's that simple! Damn, why didn't I think of that?

Fuck off Parn, I don't have to justify myself to you. I'm praying to the gods for GH and RS ports? Really? All I wanted was a PS3 game that was released in Japan to be brought to the West, just like people want the last story and xenoblade right now. I'm not saying that I want to play fucking halo on PS3. I decide how I spend my fucking money, how fucking pretentious can you possibly be?

Currently playing: Uncharted 3, Dark Souls, Team ICO Collection, Atelier Totori, Child of eden.
Yoda
Sexton Hardcastle

Darkness is Void; Juffo-Wup is light

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #57 on: June 21, 2011, 05:57:29 PM »

If I may...

Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #58 on: June 21, 2011, 06:06:57 PM »

If there are a lot of games you want on a system then Parn really does have a valid point! But if you only want that one game then, yeah, it's bullshit, especially when it's on a platform you DO have but not in your country or even your language.
CDFN

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #59 on: June 21, 2011, 06:15:11 PM »

If there are a lot of games you want on a system then Parn really does have a valid point! But if you only want that one game then, yeah, it's bullshit, especially when it's on a platform you DO have but not in your country or even your language.

Exactly.

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 9 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: