Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
September 16, 2014, 11:28:59 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz!
Subject: Persona 3: FES
Prize: $20 eShop, PSN or Steam code
Date: 3rd October 2014 Time: 16:00 EST
331360 Posts in 13571 Topics by 2191 Members
Latest Member: Zaltys
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Single-Player RPGs
| | |-+  Junior Community Manager makes false claims about Tales of Vesperia exclusivity!
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 Print
Author Topic: Junior Community Manager makes false claims about Tales of Vesperia exclusivity!  (Read 9759 times)
Ashton
Contributing Editor

Lawful Asshole

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #90 on: June 23, 2011, 11:01:22 AM »

For argument's sake, the entire problem is that there was no guarantee that ToV would even do well in the states even on the 360.

Let's say they didn't take the exclusivity money. They end up bringing ToV PS3 over and it sells terribly (Tales fans wsay they'll buy the game, but every Tales game ends up doing poorly; they seem to have a problem of writing checks with their mouths that their bank accounts aren't able to sign); who benefits here? Certainly not Sony, they just have another game to add onto the pile of "JRPGs that did horribly" on their system. Certainly not Namco, they just lost money porting a game over to American shores that people SAID they'd buy but actually didn't. Certainly not the fans, because after such a debacle we wouldn't be getting Graces f (which is a whole new game, btw).

With a franchise that is as big a question mark as Tales in terms of marketing in the states, nobody can blame Namco for taking such a deal (if it even exists, which I doubt; it'd make MUCH more sense for MS to secure exclusivity rights in Japan).

Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #91 on: June 23, 2011, 01:03:15 PM »

Have you actually seen a lot of people who say they'll buy a Tales game but don't? Because I don't think it's correct to assume they're not buying the games so much as those people saying "I'll buy it!" constitute probably most of the people who do buy it at all.
Ashton
Contributing Editor

Lawful Asshole

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #92 on: June 23, 2011, 01:09:04 PM »

The problem with the Tales fanbase is that it's so fragmented that their objectives are rarely congruent. Some people don't buy newer Tales games because it's not Symphonia. Some people don't buy them because they already imported it. Some people don't buy it because there are no subs. Some people don't buy them because no Team Destiny games are making it out here (I'll be waiting to see if they buy Graces f). Some people don't buy them for stupid reasons (oh no! Graces f is coming out 2012! Not buying it!).

I may be wrong, but I'm really disillusioned and doubtful of pretty much anything that comes out of their collective mouth right now.

Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #93 on: June 23, 2011, 01:20:58 PM »

Geez, maybe I gave them too much credit to just be "the small vocal group that wants games few others do".
Annubis

Something something like a tiger

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #94 on: June 23, 2011, 01:26:18 PM »

To me Tales games have always been at the very least 'good' games. If I have the system to play it, I will buy it. They are worth the money they cost.
Why their sales are always terrible puzzles me every single time (especially considering that Square hasn't done anything great for a while and still sells games by the million)
Ashton
Contributing Editor

Lawful Asshole

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #95 on: June 23, 2011, 01:34:52 PM »

Geez, maybe I gave them too much credit to just be "the small vocal group that wants games few others do".
Yeah, it's not like the Final Fantasy fanbase where everyone has different opinions on which Final Fantasy is the best but almost everyone still gets the latest one regardless despite complaining all the time.

Anyway, Tales isn't doing so hot in Japan either from what I heard, thanks to Namco's recent habit of putting a Tales game on one system, then throwing it onto the PS3 with extras. Original Graces sold poorly, from what I can recall, and they seemed to have merged the two Tales teams due to financial problems.
To me Tales games have always been at the very least 'good' games. If I have the system to play it, I will buy it. They are worth the money they cost.
Why their sales are always terrible puzzles me every single time (especially considering that Square hasn't done anything great for a while and still sells games by the million)
Different demographics. They're trying to market Tales the same way they do it in Japan, without realizing inherent cultural differences and tastes. Like how DQ8 needed some retooling for the NA market, Namco doesn't seem to understand that what's working for them in Japan wouldn't in the U.S. They keep releasing these games as alternatives to big name titles ("You don't want Final Fantasy XII! Tales of Abyss is a much better game!" Yeah, right, keep dreaming.) instead of focusing on shifting the marketing demographic. Or having marketing at all; the best I've seen are one page ads in game magazines, and nothing else. Hell, advert it on adult swim or something, I don't know. There's a lot of hyperbole about how Namco is a bunch of morons when it comes to marketing Tales games, and they honestly do deserve some of the guff they're getting. Trying to make Tales into a Final Fantasy killer works about as well as trying to make any FPS a "Call of Duty" killer. You just don't put them in direct competition, you're going to lose every time.

Tomara

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #96 on: June 23, 2011, 03:08:10 PM »

I wonder what Namco expects from the Tales-series. I mean, there are multiple publishers out there that are all like "Let's publish some more Disgaea!' and 'The world needs this new Shin Megami Tensei spin-off!', and they keep publishing these games, because it works for them. The localisations costs can't be that different and it's not as if these games are heavily advertised. Is Namco doing something horribly wrong or are their expectations just too high?
Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #97 on: June 23, 2011, 03:15:50 PM »

Actually, I believe Tales generally DOES sell better than those games. Namco Bandai probably has either unrealistic expectations or simply finds it impractical to seriously support here given they have generally higher selling alternatives like Tekken and Soul Calibur, which NISA and especially Atlus don't have.
insertnamehere

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #98 on: June 24, 2011, 06:11:15 AM »

I've noticed that D3 (a subsidiary of Bamco) also seems to have almost no advertising.
That new EDF game comes out in a couple of weeks and I keep forgetting about it even though I'm playing 2017 a lot recently.
No ads online that I know of, seems to have nothing magazines, and probably no ads on tv.
I'm very afraid Graces f is gonna sell like shit.
Ergh.

come get high with me
ba dum tissssss
Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #99 on: June 24, 2011, 02:34:02 PM »

I half expect Graces f may do OK simply because of how few alternatives there are. Not unless they release it the same god damn month as XIII-2 anyway.
Zendervai

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #100 on: June 24, 2011, 03:02:45 PM »

I don't think that even Namco Bandai would be dumb enough to rush Tales of Graces F out to compete with Final Fantasy XIII-2.
Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #101 on: June 24, 2011, 04:14:10 PM »

I don't think that even Namco Bandai would be dumb enough to rush Tales of Graces F out to compete with Final Fantasy XIII-2.

We just talked about how Abyss came out the same month as Final Fantasy XII, and that was a sequel people DIDN'T have as much animosity towards.
Zendervai

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #102 on: June 24, 2011, 08:22:45 PM »

Good point. I just meant that XIII-2 is slated for Fall 2011, and Tales of Graces F is slated for 2012.
Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #103 on: June 24, 2011, 08:40:02 PM »

I really don't expect FFXIII-2 to hit 2011 myself, at least in America, much like I didn't expect ME3 to. If it hits I'll be surprised, and at least that gets rid of ToGf's most direct competitor. Unless Xenoblade not only comes out here then comes out the same month.
CDFN

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #104 on: June 25, 2011, 06:03:57 AM »

XIII-2 will be 2011 in Japan only.

Currently playing: Uncharted 3, Dark Souls, Team ICO Collection, Atelier Totori, Child of eden.
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: