Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 24, 2015, 09:45:36 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
Have a great 2015 from all of us at RPGfan. :)
355645 Posts in 14454 Topics by 2261 Members
Latest Member: Lobe
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Anime, TV, and Movies
| | |-+  Recently Viewed Movies Episode 2: The Vampire Bites Back
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 278 279 [280] Print
Author Topic: Recently Viewed Movies Episode 2: The Vampire Bites Back  (Read 463522 times)
Agent D.

"Mage"nt D.

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #4185 on: May 06, 2015, 03:19:36 PM »

I think I'm tired of movies recreating characters and their backstories because it's just too hard to fit in other details. Like Quicksilver and Scarlet Witch being science experiments...not even gonna start about Jarvis and his role...the entirety of Ultron...I mean cmon, creative liberty should only allow so much before you're just hacking away at someone else's idea.

TASTY!
Tooker
Administrator

king_friday@hotmail.com PeopleJohnT bigfatusername@yahoo.com
View Profile
« Reply #4186 on: May 06, 2015, 03:40:43 PM »

The issue is character rights.  If you can't have Magneto in your movies, you can't have his kids be his kids.  They have to be someone else. :(

Those who believe in telekinetics, raise my hand.
—Kurt Vonnegut
Agent D.

"Mage"nt D.

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #4187 on: May 06, 2015, 05:02:22 PM »

The issue is character rights.  If you can't have Magneto in your movies, you can't have his kids be his kids.  They have to be someone else. :(
In magneto's case, alright, though the young kids not knowing what happened to their father would have been PERFECTLY acceptable. Fans would have known the twins were his kids, new people would have been left in the dark, and when Marvel eventually gets all the rights back to movie licensing, BAM Xmen/Avengers crossover where they meet daddy again after years.

(I'm being bitter, I know the reasoning behind such massive changes, but I always get annoyed regardless.)

TASTY!
natros
Misanthropic Humanist

Apathetically Awesome

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #4188 on: May 08, 2015, 09:55:18 AM »

Let's Be Cops - Something kept this from being great... I think it's because a good portion of the jokes just weren't that funny. Others were straight up hilarious, though. It really is a case of hit or miss with this one. I really wanted to like it more, because the comedic acting is decent all around, and the two main characters have good chemistry. The set up is interesting, and the bad guys are played effectively. So, I guess the potential was good, but the writing (especially some the jokes), and possibly the directing wasn't all that great.

Hit & Run - Not bad. I really like Dax Sheperd. Brad Cooper actually plays a somewhat interesting character, and Kristen Bell is super fine. I can't remember his name, but the dude who played Lex Luthor in Smallville plays an excellent jack ass in this one (also evidenced by his role in an early episode of It's Always Sunny). I love how Tom Arnold's character is just a complete fuck up.
Similar to the above movie: Good potential. Some good moments/scenes, but as a whole, it's just kind of meh.
natros
Misanthropic Humanist

Apathetically Awesome

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #4189 on: May 18, 2015, 11:11:50 AM »

The Maze Runner - I had never heard of this before a coworker lent it to me. I was pleasantly surprised by it. It's actually a pretty solid film about a group of boys who have no memory of their past, and are stuck inside of a maze. The movie doesn't do anything all that new or innovative, but it's done well, and the story is interesting. I really liked that it's realistic in it's grittiness. It has a much darker tone than most movies based on young adult novels. In that essence, this movie pretty much calls out The Hunger Games series for what it is: a bunch of chick flicks/novels.

The Heat - Let's face it: Sandra Bullock isn't exactly a comedic gem. More like a clump of dirt in that area. A super fine, milf-tastic clump of comedic dirt. It's McCarthy who really makes this film. Honestly, I find her annoying in some movies (Identity Thief - time I REALLY wish I could get back), but she does pretty good here. Probably has to do with this movie being filmed by the same director as Bridesmaids, which featured McCarthy's breakout role. For the most part, this movie is pretty funny. There were some misses, but I laughed at more scenes than I didn't. I really like some of the actors in it. Haven't seen a few of them in a long time.
Dice
I'm fart and I'm smunny
AMG A GIRL

Tawdry Hepburn

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #4190 on: May 18, 2015, 02:22:42 PM »

Mad Max: Fury Road

"Mad Max was like having your brain dipped in Diesel fuel and then shot out of a cannon."

= If I could just say, within the first five minutes you know two things: (1) This isn't a standard action flick, and (2) this isn't a standard film at all.  Maybe after so long your expectations for movies start getting in check, or maybe I'm feeling some "superhero fatigue"...  But I needed a movie like this after what's felt like a pretty dry slump of flicks otherwise. 

= Maybe it also helps that I went into this with few expectations as well.  I mean, judging a book by its cover, it's got nothing on the elegance of The Matrix, or the style of Sin City, or the supercool sports cars from The Fast and Furious series...
...*eats crow*

= The fact they have an actor from the FIRST film playing a villain once more here is just so bloody cool.
I mean, look at this fucking guy....! 

The character design in general is top-notch.  Yes it's gritty and pretty unappealing, but soon you find yourself invested in the film and loving the look. 

= The opening sequence sets the bar quite high right off the bat and set the precedence for the rest of the film: There is nothing but high energy teeming through this film from start to finish (with only a few subtle breaks in between to breath).  Still, the opening's both real and delusional "threats of death" sent shivers down my spine.

= The pacing for this film is great too.  Indeed, an "action flick on the road" is a bit hard to imagine, but it's sort of done in that "Running Man" way.  There's a final boss, but a bunch of 'mini bosses' leading up to it.

= A guitar flamethrowing musician (yes!) supports the marauders with chaotic medleys.  It's ridiculous....-ly awesome!!!

= The only actor who felt out of place was Rosie Huntington-Whiteley (aka; the girl in Transformers that wasn't Megan Fox).  Although lovely looking serves as a slight distraction amidst the nastiness of everything else --- she's actually too pretty and looks born for a runway than a desert...but alright.  I did like her role in the film anyways.  (And certainly the difference between "the wives" and the rest of the population is almost funny by comparison, but I do like how they're actually effective 'assistants' than mere damsels). 

= Very little exposition in this film.  Good.  Too many films go the way of narration to cheaply fill in the blanks, the film says the few words that need to be said, everything else is easy enough to connect the dots with and they don't waste time with explanations.

= This is probably the most important action film since Alien in its depiction of females.  Indeed, it's been a long time, but Sigourney Weaver finally has an equal for "action hero starlet" in the form of the tough but cool Imperator Furiosa (whom, interestingly enough, gets an even introductory credit with Mad Max himself).  This film respectfully depicts [potentially] sexual themes without [surprisingly] the use of sex and nudity in any tasteless way. 

= Apparently a bunch of hardcore MRAs were intent to boycott it for the most ridiculous reasons (to add insult to their injury, Eve Ensler of 'The Vagina Monologues' was on as a consultant).  Quite frankly, I can't think of a better accolade if the MRA's don't like it. :P

TL;DR

Ho-lee shiiiiiit
Rust and rock, diesel and desert, fire and fury... This movie is an unexpected tour de force in how an action film should be done.  It's gross, it's gritty, it's bizarre, and it's a complete odyssey of carnage.  However, what thin plot it has gives way to many details and nuances while leave a lasting impression.  The two leads carry this film beautifully along with a memorable supporting cast.  It's unreal how a somewhat hammy 80's post-apocalyptic thriller was brought onto a whole new level.  Easily the best action film of the year and my choice right now for best film of the year. 

THIS is action. 
Avengers, eat your heart out. 

GO SEE IT NOW/10.
« Last Edit: May 18, 2015, 10:36:36 PM by Dice » Logged

http://society6.com/Dice963
http://www.redbubble.com/people/dice9633
http://dice963.tumblr.com/

Support your local Dice (and pitch her ideas)!
RAINBOW PIXEL POWER!!!
Aeolus
This is the Monado's Powerbomb!

Little did he know, the fall damage would KO him.

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #4191 on: May 18, 2015, 04:19:55 PM »

Mad Max: Fury Road

GO SEE IT NOW/10.

This sounds like everything I could've wanted from this movie and more. I'll definitely try to see it in theaters (provided I can either get around or get past Avengers 2, which is still in my query (dammit, one week later and I could've gone to see Age of Ultron instead of that lame Ex Machina, then I wouldn't be so far behind; freaking out-of-town relatives)).

In my vision, I see that one of us is going to KO the other.
Dice
I'm fart and I'm smunny
AMG A GIRL

Tawdry Hepburn

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #4192 on: May 19, 2015, 06:39:07 PM »

Ex Machina

spoiler warning

Hmm.  Same writer as the guy who did Sunshine, Odyssey (the PS3 game), 28 Days Later, and a few others... it kinda shows, the plot style is sort of the same, where it has a plot twist that isn't really M Night Shyamalan levels of bad but... sort-of genre/plot-changing. 

= The stuff with the AI is well done.  Hell, I admire Nathan as a robot "artist" for even giving his fembots AIs unique breasts and everything!  Alright, I'm being facetious here... Still, I thought the visuals were very effective and the tone and mood are well developed. 

= Best part
Caleb: You tore up her picture.
Nathan: I'm gonna tear up the fuckin' dance floor, dude. Check it out!!

= I do like the sort of moral ambiguity in this film.  I really don't know who's good or bad.  I think the film sets up Nathan as a "bad guy" effectively... I mean, he's an obnoxious drunk, but to say he treats the AIs poorly feels more like the 'darker side' of what he's simply experimenting with, a necessary evil in a way that Eva unfortunately got too smart for it.  But I didn't see him as "the bad guy". 
I saw Caleb as a bit of a sucker though, and unfortunately despite being a pretty good guy he really gets nothing out of this... the exact opposite in fact (and probably my least favourite 'cliff hanger').

= I liked the ideas of consciousness and the chess game at hand between the player's staying ahead of each other (and I like these film's with small casts really engaging with each other).  I was pretty involved during the 'sessions' Caleb has with Eva!  I dug it!  But then...

= Bah.  Eva.  A great character but by this point I think it would be more interesting to see an AI film that doesn't have them going nuts --- Eva is a failure whose lack of empathy just makes little sense even despite the situation (it just feels too hollow and her machinations all too evil, even abandoning "comrades" for freedom).  The movie never says it like that (it'd be great if it did, it'd make her look less like a conscious-minded back-stabbing asshole), so I guess we assume she is just a "bad robo".  I think a "plea" for freedom might have been better.

At least the 2013 AI film "Her" makes this examination of synthetic intelligence under a new context and light and follow through with a different plot direction (murder-free!).  Ex Machina was, in a way, predictable and contrived, and dropped its relationship sub-plot with Caleb entirely for a more predictable one about freedom (whereas 'Her' kept me guessing).  Or similarly, I think one reason "I, Robot" (with Will Smith) has held up at all is thanks to its excellent supporting character Sunny, a subversion to an otherwise trope-y sci-fi film.  And finally I appreciate Quantic Dream's "Kara" tech demo similarly set up a TON of depth (for its 7 minute length) and a similar idea in a much more effective and unique way.

tl;dr
I liked this film but it never pushed the envelope into it's original direction but went with a change of pace and style that altered the mood.  The film sets up great character dynamics but cuts them short of something truly unique and settles on a somewhat unsatisfying ending; as I stated in the last point, the idea has been done in much more unique ways that didn't resort to homicide and deception as the answer and "proof" of robotic intelligence, or maybe my reading of the film is way off.... I suspect many will like it anyways.

7 Fembots /10 for a first go but I think another viewing would lower that.
« Last Edit: May 19, 2015, 06:53:36 PM by Dice » Logged

http://society6.com/Dice963
http://www.redbubble.com/people/dice9633
http://dice963.tumblr.com/

Support your local Dice (and pitch her ideas)!
RAINBOW PIXEL POWER!!!
natros
Misanthropic Humanist

Apathetically Awesome

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #4193 on: May 20, 2015, 10:41:11 AM »

St. Vincent - Probably one of Murray's better performances in recent years. He plays a drunken old grouch who ends up watching (ultimately "babysitting") the new neighbor's son (who is probably 12-ish). The two become unlikely friends, and through that friendship, it's revealed Vincent is not such a terrible guy. Lots of feels result. Obviously, the set up isn't anything new, but the characters are interesting, and the acting is good. Murray puts up a strong performance here. Honestly, it's a decent film all round. Just a bit predictable in some parts. I enjoyed it overall. I do have to say Naomi Watts is brilliant as Vincent's friend/fuck buddy (prostitute), Daka. She steals just about every scene she's in.

Grand Theft Parsons - A film starring Johnny Knoxville, based upon the true story of the death of Greg Parsons, a "legendary" country/rock singer. Greg's corpse is supposed to be picked up by his father (via plane travel), and taken back to Louisiana for burial. This movie focuses on Greg's friend, Phil Kaufman (played by Knoxville), who really did steal Parson's casket/body from the L.A. airport, to take back to Joshua Tree for a ceremony, of sorts. Greg and Phil made a pact that whomever died first, the other would send them off in style at Joshua Tree. So this movie is about Phil's journey (of sorts) to make good on the pact.
It's a low budget movie, and it shows in several ways. For one thing, the same fucking music plays in almost every scene. It kind of gets hilarious in itself, towards the end. Anyway, it's still a decent movie. I was surprised to see that Knoxville can actually act. However, the scene stealer in this one is the Hearse driving hippie, who is pretty much hired to be Phil's driver, since he is the only one in town who owns said Hearse. Not a great movie, but not bad either.
Hathen

FORUM IDIOT

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #4194 on: May 21, 2015, 10:25:08 AM »

Saw the new Mad Max movie since I heard people were raving about it, I actually didn't really have much interest in it before that.

Like Dice said, it's a very unique and ridiculous (in a good way) action movie. Really liked how so many things in the world are told visually instead of just spoonfed to the audience like most action movies seem to enjoy doing these days.
Yoda
Fear is the Mind Killer

Darkness is Void; Juffo-Wup is light

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #4195 on: May 21, 2015, 05:25:51 PM »

Mad max was incredible
Annubis

ee yan~☆

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #4196 on: May 22, 2015, 10:20:16 PM »

Someone told me to watch The Hunt and that the movie is rage inducing.
That person was right.
That movie is so... GRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR
I was hoping he'd just take his gun and go shoot every single one of them.

So yeah, if you want a movie that will make your blood boil (especially if you are a man) watch The Hunt.
Pages: 1 ... 278 279 [280] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: