Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
September 25, 2016, 10:12:12 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
Check out the latest RPG news!
248220 Posts in 7439 Topics by 2389 Members
Latest Member: FenixDrakken
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Anime, TV, and Movies
| | |-+  Recently watched Episodes of TELEVISION BOX offerings!
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 127 128 [129] Print
Author Topic: Recently watched Episodes of TELEVISION BOX offerings!  (Read 258010 times)
Starmongoose
Forum Moderator
Contributing Editor

I Mean Bismuth

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1920 on: July 23, 2016, 06:34:41 AM »

Anyone watched "Stranger Things" on Netflix yet?

I just binged the whole 8 episodes and I though it was fantastic!

I watched the first 10 minutes, then life got in the way.  I will say I'm loving that main theme though (and basically all the main boys look like all the old photos of my brother at that age, it's kinda funny and perfect).  I also love watching stuff with Winona Ryder, her voice has a fun "melody" to it.

I'll watch more tonight!

Winona is amazing in her role. But then again, I think everyone was cast perfectly. Some surprisingly top notch acting from child actors too.

Arvis
Prudish Gerontophobe

Computer Over. Virus = Very Yes.

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1921 on: July 25, 2016, 11:32:43 AM »

Honestly, if it's not Korean drama or Star Trek, I'm not watching it right now.

However, if anyone wants a gripping and darker-than-usual British drama to sink their teeth into, try out Poldark.

And, of course, I'm planning on watching The Grand Tour when it releases on Amazon Prime in a couple months.

Current RPG - Valkyria Chronicles
Dice
I'm fart and I'm smunny
AMG A GIRL

RPGFan and Dice forever...

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #1922 on: August 10, 2016, 06:07:45 PM »

Some spoilers, most vague.

> omg can that title font be any cooler??  #JustDesignerThings #FontsAreSexy

> Teams: Goonies, Degrassi, and Suburban Noire.  I love that each take you for a ride.

> These kids can ACT.  They even put on an Aussie accent way better than I ever have and El's scream is perfectly haunting! You go girl.

> The music is fantastic.  Love that old 80s synth style (which is a still living musical genre more enduring than I'd have ever thought)

> Dustin is *always*right*.  Seriously, it's dangerous to go alone, take Dustin with you. 

> What I love is this show combines alternate dimensions, psychics, aliens, and just a teeny-weeny bit of magic and does it surprisingly well.... Not sure the "mythology" in the series really adds up, but it's still a lot of fun and the "Silent Hill-verse" is a cool idea!

> Why when a tv show or movie needs someone to bleed, who do they always cut their palm!?  The arm, or leg even, but not a part of you where the wound is gonna keep opening and closing!!!

> MVP might actually have to go to Steve. Mutherfucker swung that bat like a superstar and he wasn't the typical jerk-face to make the love triangle choice an easy choice.  The Degrassi Group also get my vote for the 'most improved' category as far as their plot goes. 

> The bigger mystery is obviously Will and his champion-level Hide and Seek skills.

> Eleven was pretty damn cool.   I didn't think much of her at first, typical weirdo telepathic plot... but I do like it as a story of her trying to be normal while kicking ass and, almost literally, punishing her demons.  The best stuff with her definitely happens later on, but boy is it worth it.

> I love how useless Mike and Nancy's Dad is.  The show totally makes a conscious effort to make him useless any time he has a line to say by literally adding nothing to say each time.  Wasn't keen on the mum either besides trying to get involved in things... and she really doesn't at all, I have no idea what the point of her was beyond 'doting'. 

> The show is very good with build-up, getting you to slowly accept its ideas that a crazy "sci-fi thing" is happening, how insane it all sounds, and at what point you need to make that leap of faith that it might all be true.  I do like how all parties finally get together after enough of the weird shit has finally happened to finally work together on solving their shared dilemma.

> Poor Barb.  She really gets shit on the worst.  Worst outfit (but pretty face under those unflattering turtle necks), the best intentions (which were wrong because Steve is a pretty stellar fella), and meets a nasty conclusion.  As much as I love Nancy, she was only an 'okay' friend back!

> HI I'M NANCY, I'M GONNA GO IN THIS CREEPY WET TUNNEL BECAUSE IT'S PROBABLY FINE.

> I love when Dustin calls the teacher for information on Sensory Deprivation Tanks.... probably because Google hasn't been invented yet.

> GIMME SEASON 2.

http://society6.com/Dice963
http://www.redbubble.com/people/dice9633
http://dice963.tumblr.com/

Support your local Dice (and pitch her ideas)!
RAINBOW PIXEL POWER!!!
Adamacus
Contributing Editor

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #1923 on: August 10, 2016, 09:34:04 PM »

My wife and I decided to watch an episode of Stranger Things last Friday, binge-watched the rest of the season that night, and then immediately had to tell our families to watch it.  It might be the most fun season of television I've seen in a long time.  Here are my random bullet points...

> Those kids are so good, it's almost depressing.

> It was fun to see a bunch of Dungeons and Dragons references from writers who CLEARLY love Dungeons and Dragons.

> Science teacher has a hot girlfriend.  Boo ya.

> Jim felt like a Harrison Ford character to me, which was super cool.  He's an older, half bumbling, half cunning, everyman action hero.  I enjoyed every scene he was in.

> I was a bit sad to see the 'typical dumb parents' trope show up again, but at least Nancy's dad is kind of hilarious.

> Joyce, you were right all along, but a little less freaking out would have gone a long way...

> It's interesting that they give you a good sense of what the big bad thing looks like early on, but the camera doesn't linger on it for very long until the final few episodes.  It strikes a nice balance between the terror of the known and the horror of the unknown.

> Wow, some of those elementary school kids are surprisingly nasty. Was this a problem in the 80s?

> Barb...why Barb...

> HI I'M NANCY, I'M GONNA GO IN THIS CREEPY WET TUNNEL BECAUSE IT'S PROBABLY FINE.

My wife's reaction was "What are you doing? WHAT are you DOING? That's stupid. Oh my gosh what are you doing?" for that entire scene.

>I think my favorite moment of the entire thing was when the kids ask their teacher about the Vale of Shadows and he immediately knows what they are talking about.

Really, it's a great show though.  It's the best kind of homage in that it wears its influences on its sleeve but has enough substance to stand on its own feet.  It definitely deserves all the love it's gotten.
Klutz64
I Like Wacky Hats

Tactically Engaged in Espionage Action

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #1924 on: August 17, 2016, 11:46:43 PM »

Wasted my evening working towards catching up on Fringe before watching the final season I never saw. I say wasted because I'm still on season 1 and I just read that Netflix is dropping the show on Sept. 11, and I can't possibly enjoy the show while watching as many episodes a day as I'd need to watch to finish in time.

Honestly, I don't even know why I'm still subscribed to the service with the rate it's been losing shows to Hulu. None of the original shows really appeal to me, anyway. Well, except Kimmy Schmidt.

My Blog - It's about gaming stuff. You can read it if you want. No pressure. I mean, there's a link there you just have to click on, but... y'know... whatever.
Current Post: Grand Re-re-r-e-re-opening!
Aeolus
This is the Monado's Powerbomb!

Little did he know, the fall damage would KO him.

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1925 on: August 18, 2016, 10:48:34 AM »

Wasted my evening working towards catching up on Fringe before watching the final season I never saw. I say wasted because I'm still on season 1 and I just read that Netflix is dropping the show on Sept. 11, and I can't possibly enjoy the show while watching as many episodes a day as I'd need to watch to finish in time.

Honestly, I don't even know why I'm still subscribed to the service with the rate it's been losing shows to Hulu. None of the original shows really appeal to me, anyway. Well, except Kimmy Schmidt.

And there's the other shoe. I figured it was only a matter of time before streamers/cable monopolies finally figured out just how good of a thing they had going and how best to slash and burn those services away.

This is why physical media is the best. Once its in your possession, its yours until you lose it/break it/get it damaged/stolen.

In my vision, I see that one of us is going to KO the other.
EmeraldSword

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1926 on: August 23, 2016, 11:26:46 AM »

@Dice - What'd I do? Dammit, Jim, I hope you're enjoying your chicken.

I liked Stranger Things like all of you guys. I think it's the first show I've binged watched all in one weekend in a long time. The plot had me hooked so I couldn't just walk away. I like the theme song as well. I couldn't put a total pulse on it, yet I saw many movie/tv influences from other shows in this Netflix original -- which is great. I read on IGN today that the creators are busy working away on the upcoming second season.

On the backlog:
Daredevil - Seasons 1 & 2
Jessica Jones - half season watched
Vikings - Season 2 - half season watched
The Last Kingdom

I'd watch more, but alas; school.
« Last Edit: August 23, 2016, 11:46:14 AM by EmeraldSword » Logged

Formerly OG, OrsonFury.
natros

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #1927 on: September 13, 2016, 10:46:23 AM »

Recently wrapped up Psych. Loved all 8 seasons. The finale was a great finish.

Yeah, it's a silly and somewhat stupid show, but what separates it is that it knows it's silly and stupid. It runs with its ridiculousness. What also really helps is that the two main actors, Roday and Hill, have excellent on screen chemistry. Really helps to make their characters' lifelong friendship feel more believable. Roday had an effective way of making Shawn just annoying enough at times. Just when you are about to get irritated with his silliness and immaturity, it gets dialed back at the right time. All of the main characters are lovable in their own way, and in a way, I'll miss them.
Gotta give props to the writers, who managed to keep the show fresh throughout its run. Naturally, some episodes failed to live up to the standard (to be expected when there are over 100 of them), but overall, the series stayed strong. Good stuff.
Klutz64
I Like Wacky Hats

Tactically Engaged in Espionage Action

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #1928 on: September 13, 2016, 11:37:57 AM »

Recently wrapped up Psych. Loved all 8 seasons. The finale was a great finish.

Yeah, it's a silly and somewhat stupid show, but what separates it is that it knows it's silly and stupid. It runs with its ridiculousness. What also really helps is that the two main actors, Roday and Hill, have excellent on screen chemistry. Really helps to make their characters' lifelong friendship feel more believable. Roday had an effective way of making Shawn just annoying enough at times. Just when you are about to get irritated with his silliness and immaturity, it gets dialed back at the right time. All of the main characters are lovable in their own way, and in a way, I'll miss them.
Gotta give props to the writers, who managed to keep the show fresh throughout its run. Naturally, some episodes failed to live up to the standard (to be expected when there are over 100 of them), but overall, the series stayed strong. Good stuff.

I love Psych and I'm ashamed I've only watched 6 of the 8 seasons. Will definitely have to rewatch it all at some point.

My Blog - It's about gaming stuff. You can read it if you want. No pressure. I mean, there's a link there you just have to click on, but... y'know... whatever.
Current Post: Grand Re-re-r-e-re-opening!
natros

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #1929 on: September 13, 2016, 12:15:49 PM »

^ There are of course some really good episodes in the last 2 seasons. Especially a rather important story arc that happens in the latter half of season 7... If you have Netflix streaming, now is the time to binge-finish the series, because they are removing the show on the 1st of next month. We watched the entirety of season 8 in the span of a week and a half, just to make sure we finished in time. I'm sure some years down the line, we will re-watch them all as well.

On that note, I'd like to watch Monk from beginning to end. We love the series, but missed a whole bunch of episodes throughout its run. Admittedly, I don't enjoy the first 2 seasons that much, simply because I can't stand how mean his first assistant (mah-mah-mah-My Sharona) is to him. What a bitch.

glassjawsh

Salvum est Vita!

View Profile WWW Email

Ignore
« Reply #1930 on: September 17, 2016, 01:18:20 PM »

The fact that they're making a full on series about the literal worst and most pointless character from Jessica Jones (Luke Cage), sort of proves how much Marvel is scrapping the bottom of the barrel for content these days. His presence ruined the entire "strong woman dealing with sexual abuse" storyline that really could have meant something for her character arc and turned it into another shitty "let's just get a man in here to fix everything" retread of a lazy and possibly misogynist theme that been played out a 100,000 times before.  On top of that, Mike Coulter has all of the charisma and acting ability of a large pile of hair.  They may as well have cast a wooden cut out of him and just gotten a bored muppeteer to move his mouth and arms.  It'd basically emote with the same amount of realism.
« Last Edit: September 17, 2016, 01:25:45 PM by glassjawsh » Logged

Arvis
Prudish Gerontophobe

Computer Over. Virus = Very Yes.

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1931 on: September 19, 2016, 12:03:35 PM »

I just finished rewatching all 13 episodes of the long-since-canceled ABC sitcom "Selfie", starring Karen Gillan (Doctor Who, Guardians of the Galaxy) and John Cho (Star Trek, American Pie).

Probably the greatest half-hour network sitcom of all time, save Parks and Recreation (or like Seinfeld or whatever).  The acting and directing are so much better than your average network sitcom schlock.  Anyone with Hulu Plus should take a night or two and binge this one.  Gillan and Cho somehow exceed even the high expectations they come with.

Keep in mind, the first episode starts poorly but picks up quickly.

Current RPG - Valkyria Chronicles
Dice
I'm fart and I'm smunny
AMG A GIRL

RPGFan and Dice forever...

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #1932 on: Today at 01:28:02 AM »

I just finished rewatching all 13 episodes of the long-since-canceled ABC sitcom "Selfie", starring Karen Gillan (Doctor Who, Guardians of the Galaxy) and John Cho (Star Trek, American Pie).

Probably the greatest half-hour network sitcom of all time, save Parks and Recreation (or like Seinfeld or whatever).  The acting and directing are so much better than your average network sitcom schlock.  Anyone with Hulu Plus should take a night or two and binge this one.  Gillan and Cho somehow exceed even the high expectations they come with.

Keep in mind, the first episode starts poorly but picks up quickly.

#gingerkoreanbabies

Really sad it didn't get picked up, the comedy was solid, the chemistry worked, the cast was great.  But maybe a case where a bad title and a bad pilot worked against it.

http://society6.com/Dice963
http://www.redbubble.com/people/dice9633
http://dice963.tumblr.com/

Support your local Dice (and pitch her ideas)!
RAINBOW PIXEL POWER!!!
Pages: 1 ... 127 128 [129] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: