Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 24, 2014, 04:14:49 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz!
Persona 3 FES Quiz is now OVER!
Winner was user: Monsoon!
334755 Posts in 13709 Topics by 2200 Members
Latest Member: Rgeneb1
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Anime, TV, and Movies
| | |-+  Doctor Who
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] Print
Author Topic: Doctor Who  (Read 9636 times)
Lard

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #150 on: October 02, 2014, 11:53:16 PM »

Wow, you are sure forgiving of this season. I thought this past episode was pretty weak. I'm really getting tired of how the current Doctor is written. He's far too mean, and apparently clueless about humans, despite interacting with them for many many years. What's the deal with calling Pink a P.E. teacher over and over again? Why is this not explained? And why is he so anti-soldier?

I like how Capaldi's doctor is written - it's actually a nice change from the last two.

It's funny, I don't remember people complaining about Eccleston's doctor being too grumpy.

I will grant that last week's episode sucked - and sucked hard.

I don't get the anti-soldier thing either, given his past with UNIT, but many people suspect it's due to the Time War.

That said, the buzz on the coming episode is positive all around. I've read a few spoiler-free reviews and they've all been universally positive.

Lots of people saying this might be even better than Listen (which I thought was only soso, so we'll see).

I hope you guys like
Code:
SPIDERS

I avoid online multiplayer because my brain still works.
Dice
Super Happy Fun Super Girl
AMG A GIRL

Tawdry Hepburn

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #151 on: October 05, 2014, 03:43:43 AM »

That said, the buzz on the coming episode is positive all around. I've read a few spoiler-free reviews and they've all been universally positive.

Lots of people saying this might be even better than Listen (which I thought was only soso, so we'll see).

I hope you guys like
Code:
SPIDERS

Brilliant premise tonight.  But like last week's possible 'racism' undertone, this one may delivery a stronger 'pro-life/choice' one.
I think it's misdirected, sure it was there, but I liked the greater implications in this episode and to get some idea of when/why the Doctor meddles with history and when he doesn't. And this time, despite his power (and possible ability to abuse that power) he just flew off to let others find out what was the right or wrong choice.... where the 'right' choice was figured out ONLY on a last-second final impulse.

I think this episode was a lot like "Midnight" in a way. Some episodes have a cool plot; but some just want to set up an interesting scenario. Midnight had next to no real plot, or real action, or a big mystery, or big evil villain; but more of an experiment on 'mob mentality' played to an episode and it turned out very, very well. "Kill the Moon" sets up a conundrum for our Doctor's meddling and asks "field trippers" to decide history.

Anyways, I actually, even if not always agree with that Flick filosopher website you posted Grim.  I love how reviewers can make "those observations" that tickle the bak of your mind but you never arrange into words.  Good writing too

http://society6.com/Dice963
http://www.redbubble.com/people/dice9633

Support your local Dice (and pitch her ideas)!
GrimReality
Dark Lord of Nostalgia

OK, options aren't SO bad

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #152 on: October 05, 2014, 11:02:54 PM »

I hope you guys like
Code:
SPIDERS

Brilliant premise tonight.  But like last week's possible 'racism' undertone, this one may delivery a stronger 'pro-life/choice' one.
I think it's misdirected, sure it was there, but I liked the greater implications in this episode and to get some idea of when/why the Doctor meddles with history and when he doesn't. And this time, despite his power (and possible ability to abuse that power) he just flew off to let others find out what was the right or wrong choice.... where the 'right' choice was figured out ONLY on a last-second final impulse.

I think this episode was a lot like "Midnight" in a way. Some episodes have a cool plot; but some just want to set up an interesting scenario. Midnight had next to no real plot, or real action, or a big mystery, or big evil villain; but more of an experiment on 'mob mentality' played to an episode and it turned out very, very well. "Kill the Moon" sets up a conundrum for our Doctor's meddling and asks "field trippers" to decide history.

Anyways, I actually, even if not always agree with that Flick filosopher website you posted Grim.  I love how reviewers can make "those observations" that tickle the bak of your mind but you never arrange into words.  Good writing too

I always anticipate her reviews. She normally has them up by Sunday night. She sees things that I just don't see, and I like that.
I thought Kill The Moon was decent. Great premise, certainly, but the ending just kind of left me feeling "blah". Well, of the story, anyway.
Code:
Claras final words, as bad ass as they were, felt out of the place in this season. It was long overdue, and very well said, but like something out of the Tennant era, if you know what I mean. Emotions haven't played much part in this season as of yet, and I don't see that changing.

Playing: TWD Season 2, Alan Wake
Reading: Mistborn #2 by Brandon Sanderson
Lard

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #153 on: October 08, 2014, 02:14:04 PM »

I really, really don't get the outcry over the science of KRM.

So people have a problem with this episode - but not with the Tardis dragging the Earth back into its place in the solar system with absolutely no damage to anyone or anything on the planet?

People are ridonkulous sometimes.

Lard

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #154 on: October 19, 2014, 12:24:50 AM »

Holy shit this has been a great run of episodes.

I thought Flatline looked terrible from last week's preview and it might be my favourite episode of the new season.

I can't believe how good this season, and Capaldi, are.

Dice
Super Happy Fun Super Girl
AMG A GIRL

Tawdry Hepburn

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #155 on: October 19, 2014, 11:35:58 AM »

Holy shit this has been a great run of episodes.

I thought Flatline looked terrible from last week's preview and it might be my favourite episode of the new season.

I can't believe how good this season, and Capaldi, are.

Yeah I thought it was cool how they made sense of their monster; it was very unique, probably the most so since the Angels (but I might be forgetting something).

Clara's contentious relationship with the Doctor has only made her more interesting, and Capaldi's inability to play nice makes him a nice departure from the previous Doctors.

Two-dis!!!!!!

EDIT: Probably the only thing bugging me now is the Heaven plot.  It's getting way too little attention, is high too speculative, and I'm worried/thinking it won't pay off.... and I won't care.
« Last Edit: October 19, 2014, 11:53:07 AM by Dice » Logged

http://society6.com/Dice963
http://www.redbubble.com/people/dice9633

Support your local Dice (and pitch her ideas)!
GrimReality
Dark Lord of Nostalgia

OK, options aren't SO bad

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #156 on: October 19, 2014, 08:53:11 PM »

I'm the complete opposite of Lard. I think this season has been incredibly mediocre so far. There hasn't been a single stand out episode yet.
I like Capaldi as the Doctor. It's the things they make him say that I'm not enjoying.
Last nights episode was just ok. I wish they would stop treating Danny Pink like he's an idiot, though. The whole Clara/Pink relationship subplot has gone nowhere.
I agree with Dice about the mystery lady/mystery place. It feels way too detached from everything else going on. I'm sure we'll get some halfhazard explanation for it in the end, but that won't make up for what we've seen already.

Playing: TWD Season 2, Alan Wake
Reading: Mistborn #2 by Brandon Sanderson
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: