Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 16, 2014, 12:11:12 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz
Next Quiz Date: January 11, 2014
Subject: 999 (Nintendo DS)
For more information click HERE!
318888 Posts in 13029 Topics by 2145 Members
Latest Member: aew0
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Anime, TV, and Movies
| | |-+  Recently Viewed Movies Episode 2: The Vampire Bites Back
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 242 243 [244] Print
Author Topic: Recently Viewed Movies Episode 2: The Vampire Bites Back  (Read 333580 times)
Tooker
RPGFan Editor

king_friday@hotmail.com PeopleJohnT bigfatusername@yahoo.com
View Profile
« Reply #3645 on: April 14, 2014, 09:33:50 PM »

I love the "spacing" on it:

Those who believe in telekinetics, raise my hand.
—Kurt Vonnegut
CluelessWonder

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #3646 on: April 15, 2014, 11:31:21 PM »

Frozen -  I thought I would like it more than I did.  I know kids across America are singing Let  It Go, but I wasn't enthralled with the music.   It just isn't as good as The Little Mermaid or the other Disney movies I grew up on.  Maybe I'm just older and not into singing animated movies. 

Currently Playing:  Fate/Extra, various ios games

Currently Reading: 

Recently Beat: Thief
Dice
Super Happy Fun Super Girl
AMG A GIRL

Tawdry Hepburn

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #3647 on: April 15, 2014, 11:45:53 PM »

Frozen -  I thought I would like it more than I did.  I know kids across America are singing Let  It Go, but I wasn't enthralled with the music.   It just isn't as good as The Little Mermaid or the other Disney movies I grew up on.  Maybe I'm just older and not into singing animated movies. 

I've only really dug about one Disney song per title.  'Let it Go' was mine for Frozen, and the rest were just really...whatever (well, the one with younger Anna was really cute/sweet too).

I definitely don't think it helps that there is a "Frozen-craze" going around, and I legitimately wonder if viewing it before it hit would have made for less sour opinions (people who got Last of Us later seem to be going through a bit of the same thing right now too, for example).  I think it's more that people are just happy that Disney is "back" after what was a pretty nasty dry spell (which serves the interests of a new generation of kids and the twenty-somethings who grew up on it and are about child-ready age themselves).  So yaaay. Fun times for all.  It also doesn't help that we are in this "wonderful" Internet Age where memes explode nation-wide almost overnight to turn songs like "Let it Go" into about 1,000 different cover songs, or Frozen itself into a million different gifs, funny images, or fan art.

Nostalgia reaallly clouds my memories for Little Mermaid.  I love the hell out of it.  I shouldn't.  Eric is a bit of a dud, Ariel doesn't really 'learn' anything, and basically the entire supporting cast served as better moral beacons against the rambunctious Ariel.  But fuck it!  It's a fun film to watch.  (speaking of what I mentioned earlier, I actually don't really don't care for "Part of Your World", I thought "Kiss the Girl" was a million times cooler and more entertaining, musically-speaking).

I *do* love Frozen, but certainly the waves of support, fans, and awards have definitely exaggerate the acclaim (I've been a firm believer in trying not to build *anything* up in my head and just take it on as it is... I initially had no interest in Last of Us, and I adore it now).

http://society6.com/Dice963
Support your local Dice (and pitch her ideas)!
CluelessWonder

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #3648 on: Today at 12:14:00 AM »

I bought Little Mermaid on Blu-Ray and recently watched it with my bf's niece and I can honestly say I still love it.  "Part of Your World" is my personal favorite with "Kiss the Girl" close behind.  "Under the Sea" is my bf's favorite.  So it had three songs I still sing 25 years later...holy crap that was a long time ago.  I had to google the release date.  Damn I feel old.  Who knows.  Maybe 25 years later adults will be singing "Let It Go. "

Anyways I see The Little Mermaid as being a story about being born in the wrong body and finding the freedom to be who you were truly meant to be.  Of course that is my adult take on it.  I don't think the kid thought about it.

Currently Playing:  Fate/Extra, various ios games

Currently Reading: 

Recently Beat: Thief
Esper_Crusader

I love you, Dr. Zaius

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #3649 on: Today at 12:36:29 AM »

Monty Python: Quest for the Holy Grail. STILL the funniest fucking movie ever made!  At least IMO...
I can almost recite the movie start to finish.

Currently playing: .

-----------------------------------
"If I can't smoke and swear, I'm F**ked." ~ Ricky
Dice
Super Happy Fun Super Girl
AMG A GIRL

Tawdry Hepburn

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #3650 on: Today at 01:32:25 AM »

I bought Little Mermaid on Blu-Ray and recently watched it with my bf's niece and I can honestly say I still love it.  "Part of Your World" is my personal favorite with "Kiss the Girl" close behind.  "Under the Sea" is my bf's favorite.  So it had three songs I still sing 25 years later...holy crap that was a long time ago.  I had to google the release date.  Damn I feel old.  Who knows.  Maybe 25 years later adults will be singing "Let It Go. "

Anyways I see The Little Mermaid as being a story about being born in the wrong body and finding the freedom to be who you were truly meant to be.  Of course that is my adult take on it.  I don't think the kid thought about it.

I'm sort of torn.  Your interpretation is about 1,000x better than the one I saw of a girl constantly finding ways to get the slip past her father (maybe that has something to do with me being the occasional prick to my dad).

Monty Python: Quest for the Holy Grail. STILL the funniest fucking movie ever made!  At least IMO...
I can almost recite the movie start to finish.

I think the fact the Monty Python's humour is enduring that's truly amazing.  I nearly flipped my lid when Dragon's Crown had a killer rabbit boss and laughed (and died in-game) for about a minute because I was too distracted by it.

http://society6.com/Dice963
Support your local Dice (and pitch her ideas)!
Blace

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #3651 on: Today at 10:30:58 AM »

Little bit of irony here. I bought the Little Mermaid on blu-ray for my fiance when it came out and we watched it and it did not live up to my childhood memories of it. I was actually kind of disappointed. I had not seen it in probably 15 years. She actually didn't like it as much as she remembered either. I don't know what that says about us haha. I actually thought Frozen was better, although certainly overhyped like you guys have mentioned.
Pages: 1 ... 242 243 [244] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: