Author Topic: Recently Viewed Movies Episode 2: The Vampire Bites Back

Yoda

• Fear is the Mind Killer
  • Darkness is Void; Juffo-Wup is light
    • View Profile
Re: Recently Viewed Movies Episode 2: The Vampire Bites Back
« Reply #4785 on: November 09, 2016, 04:13:25 PM »
The Witch - Disturbing. Unsettling. Not sure if I've ever felt so uncomfortable watching a movie. Literally had to shake it off afterwards. A very effective slow burn of a cerebral horror movie. Well acted and directed. The dialogue is difficult to understand, because it's accurate for the period (pilgrim/setller times), but having captions on really helps. Very highly recommended for fans of the genre. Free on Amazon Prime right now.

Woudst thou like to live deliciously?

natros

• View Profile
« Reply #4786 on: November 09, 2016, 05:05:30 PM »
^ The dude who did the voice for that (some Canadian model, apparently) nailed it. Silky, yet appropriately terrifying. I really liked that they didn't show too much of the guy - a mistake almost every modern horror movie makes.

What I read is that they initially wanted Spider-Man to be in the movie a lot, and Black Panther a little.  But they had those licensing issues to work out, and by the time they for sure did, they had already changed it to be the other way around.

A shame, really. That would have been muy bueno.

Arvis

• Prudish Gerontophobe
  • Computer Over. Virus = Very Yes.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4787 on: November 15, 2016, 03:16:39 PM »
I actually thought Black Panther was way cooler than he had any business being.
Current RPG - Pokemon Sun, Atelier Rorona, Final Fantasy III, Tales of Graces f

Hathen

• View Profile
« Reply #4788 on: November 15, 2016, 10:32:15 PM »
I too really liked Black Panther, I really think Spidey shouldn't have been in the movie at all since he was barely relevant. Maybe I'm just tired of seeing Spiderman doing laps around the reboot racetrack but I have almost 0 interest in seeing Homecoming.

Rook

• View Profile
« Reply #4789 on: November 21, 2016, 03:55:02 AM »
Age of Ultron - Finally got around to seeing this, which I did in a lead up to Cap 3 (which I haven't seen yet).
I had heard AoU is "meh", and it definitely is. For a movie about a team of superheroes, it's kind of... boring. It felt like it was just going through some motions. The Hulk/Iron Man fight was probably the most interesting thing about it. Cap 2 is infinitely better in comparison, so I'm happy to know the directing team of that one (and Cap 3) will be handling the next Avenger flicks.
Not that AoU is bad.. It's just not that great.

Always thought Captain America would be better if they just kept his movies in the 40-50s. It would have been something different over all the other Marvel movies that take place in present day. CA doesn't have any gadgets/magical powers so he's a better superhero in a lower tech world doing smaller operations. If you wanted him in the avengers you could have just opened the movie with him crashing in the ice around 1969.

Dincrest

• Analogy spouting
  • RPGFan Editor
  • Lanterne Rouge
    • View Profile
    • RPGFan
« Reply #4790 on: November 25, 2016, 06:44:21 AM »
Protip: If anyone's goong to watch Miracle on 34th Street, it has to be the 1947 original.  Nothing else.  My mom and I watched the 1994 remake yesterday, because it was on TV and that film was a botched abortion.  The original simply told a story and maintained a sense of joviality throughout, but this remake was so preachy, added completely unnecessary faith-and-religion subtexts, and took itself too seriously that I wanted to vomit.  Plus, they completely changed the ending for the worse.  The iconic scene in the 1947 classic was
Code: [Select]
when the USPS brought in sacks and sacks of letters to the courtroom to legitimize Santa. That was a most triumphant movie moment.  In the remake, they had
Code: [Select]
the little girl give the judge a Christmas card with a dollar witht he words "In God We Trust" circled.  And the judge ruled in favor of Santa because of some bullshit God reasoning.. No.  Just... NO!  How dare you remove THE moment of the story.  Sacrelig, man!  The abomination that is Miracle 1994 should not be allowed to exist.  The only Miracle is the 1947 original, and that's that.
« Last Edit: November 25, 2016, 07:06:02 AM by Dincrest »
Games I've given Editor's Choice to:
Ever 17, Hourglass of Summer, Anachronox, Persona PSP, Radiant Historia, To The Moon, Revolution 60

Aeolus

• This is the Monado's Powerbomb!
  • Little did he know, the fall damage would KO him.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4791 on: November 27, 2016, 08:46:17 AM »
Dr. Strange: Checked it out. Entertaining as a Marvel Studios movie typically is. Cumberbatch fits the role of character 'inspired by' Vincent Price well, though some of the scene transitions felt like they were skipping more than they should've. Also I lol'd at the disclaimer at the very end of the credits "Do NOT drive while distracted folks, you do not get superpowers if you wreck and you'll most likely die instead.".
In my vision, I see that one of us is going to KO the other.

natros

• View Profile
« Reply #4792 on: November 28, 2016, 02:07:06 PM »
Age of Ultron - Finally got around to seeing this, which I did in a lead up to Cap 3 (which I haven't seen yet).
I had heard AoU is "meh", and it definitely is. For a movie about a team of superheroes, it's kind of... boring. It felt like it was just going through some motions. The Hulk/Iron Man fight was probably the most interesting thing about it. Cap 2 is infinitely better in comparison, so I'm happy to know the directing team of that one (and Cap 3) will be handling the next Avenger flicks.
Not that AoU is bad.. It's just not that great.

Always thought Captain America would be better if they just kept his movies in the 40-50s. It would have been something different over all the other Marvel movies that take place in present day. CA doesn't have any gadgets/magical powers so he's a better superhero in a lower tech world doing smaller operations. If you wanted him in the avengers you could have just opened the movie with him crashing in the ice around 1969.

That is definitely some food for thought...

Swiss Army Man - Words fail me. Never seen anything quite like it before, or since. This is definitely an example of the filmmakers doing whatever the hell they wanted (which in itself is awesome). Cynics will immediately be dismissive of the whole magical farting corpse thing, but for those with open minds, I say it's worth checking out. Just to enjoy its uniqueness. It's definitely rude and crude, but there's more to it than that. Couldn't have been pulled off if Dano and Radcliffe hadn't done such a good job. Just when you think it's all leading up to something, the movie throws a curve ball at the very end. As a whole, it's just so off the beaten path, I still don't know how to explain it to people.

Finding Dory - Not as good as the original film, but better than I expected. I laughed, and got a little choked up at points, so it was effective enough. My son really enjoyed it, and I suppose that's what matters most.

Arvis

• Prudish Gerontophobe
  • Computer Over. Virus = Very Yes.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4793 on: November 28, 2016, 02:44:31 PM »
Oh, I saw Magnificent 7 the other day.  It was alright.  The plot was thin as heck and the characters were mostly weak.  Great cast, though, and the action choreography and practical effects were amazing.

It didn't help that my cheap theater was playing it on a projector with jacked up contrast so everything looked washed out and the room's sound system had one or more blown speakers.
Current RPG - Pokemon Sun, Atelier Rorona, Final Fantasy III, Tales of Graces f

Tooker

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4794 on: November 28, 2016, 10:17:28 PM »
I'm wrapping up a classic Planet of the Apes marathon tonight.  May watch the TV show after this, probably not.  Still cheesy, Roddy McDowell is still a good dude, but I hadn't realized before now that the first three or four movies all end in a way that clearly says "OK, we're done with this series, no sequels." It's not until the second to last that one ends in a way that sets up a sequel.
Those who believe in telekinetics, raise my hand.
—Kurt Vonnegut

Tooker

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4795 on: December 05, 2016, 01:31:38 AM »
My wife is sick, so we're kind of plowing through movies.  We watched When Marnie Was There yesterday, it was Ghibli, so it was bound to be good.

I recently picked up a set of all of Laika's movies, and we've been watching them today. 

Coraline we'd seen before, still like it. 

Paranorman had its moments, but we feel like we prefer Monster House as a movie with a similar feel and moral.

Boxtrolls was pretty good, but they did play the Adults are Useless/Not Now, Kiddo trope pretty hard, which I always find frustrating.

Kubo and the Two Strings - there were times it was hard to believe it was stop-motion.  I imagine there was a lot of post-production CG.  Looks great, though, and the cover of While My Guitar Gently Weeps over the closing credits was cool.
—Kurt Vonnegut

glassjawsh

• Salvum est Vita!
    • View Profile
    • my backloggery
« Reply #4796 on: Yesterday at 05:54:31 PM »
Hugo.  What a great movie.  I saw it forever ago and didn't really take much from it other than the cool steam punk vibe, but upon a second viewing I'm thoroughly impressed.  Crazy that the guy who made Raging Bull and The Departed hit such a home run with what is effectively a kids film.

Tooker

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4797 on: Yesterday at 06:38:14 PM »
That is a good one, I agree.

I saw Goosebumps last night, it was fun.  A good fit for Jack Black.
—Kurt Vonnegut