Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 30, 2016, 08:20:57 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
Check out the latest RPG news!
239215 Posts in 7112 Topics by 2359 Members
Latest Member: RetroRPGFan8048
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Anime, TV, and Movies
| | |-+  The "what was your first anime?" Thread
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: The "what was your first anime?" Thread  (Read 105 times)
Dincrest
Analogy spouting
RPGFan Editor

I approve of this nonsense!

View Profile WWW
« on: May 29, 2016, 04:43:18 PM »

So, yeah, what was your first anime?

Technically, I could say something like Voltron, Robotech, Mysterious Cities of Gold, Transformers, Jayce and the Wheeled Warriors, or any of the other 1980s cartoons I watched as a kid but didn't know were anime... But the first anime I watched that I knew was anime and I watched it in Japanese with subtitles was Devil Hunter Yohko.  I have a funny feeling this explains some of my anime tastes.  The series itself wasn't top tier and there were some continuity issues, but I loved it all the same.  One thing I found fantastic about DHY was the music.  All the vocal songs were stellar and the music pieces that played during the series, especially the battle scenes, were all killer too.  

So what was your first anime?  
« Last Edit: May 29, 2016, 05:00:48 PM by Dincrest » Logged

Games I've given Editor's Choice to:
Ever 17, Hourglass of Summer, Anachronox, Persona PSP, Radiant Historia, To The Moon, Revolution 60
Klutz64
I Like Wacky Hats

Tactically Engaged in Espionage Action

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2016, 06:16:33 PM »

Well I'll give an answer similar to the answer you mentioned not giving and say DBZ. My friend turned me on to it in junior high, and as a young teen I was really into it, then as an older teen I looked back on it and realized how ridiculous the whole thing was. Now as an adult I reflect on to it with some level of nostalgia and charm.

I *think* the first non-dubbed anime I watched was Lucky Star, but then I could have watched a dubbed version and just remember it wrong. Either way, LS was the first anime I watched with full awareness that I was watching anime. Still love that one, too. Its just so cheerful and lovely and inconsequential. Great to watch when I just want to smile for a bit.

My Blog - It's about gaming stuff. You can read it if you want. No pressure. I mean, there's a link there you just have to click on, but... y'know... whatever.
Current Post: Grand Re-re-r-e-re-opening!
Annubis

ee yan~☆

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2016, 06:18:31 PM »

The first anime I watched to discover what anime was was Neon Genesis Evangelion.
Rook

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2016, 07:33:41 PM »

First anime I knew was anime: Akira

Technically the 1st anime I watched: Speed Racer.

The 1st I watched subbed: Escaflowne, I think.
glassjawsh

Salvum est Vita!

View Profile WWW Email

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: May 29, 2016, 09:35:21 PM »

Last Exile was the first one I watched on my own from beginning to end.  But the real credit goes to Adult Swim for showing Trigun and Cowboy Bebop.  I  got into anime pretty late (college) and since I'm a sucker for a space western and was usually up at 2 am anyhow back then, it was sort of exactly what I needed to have my interest piqued during exactly the right time in my life when something like that was most appealing.

Agent D.

"Mage"nt D.

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: May 29, 2016, 10:02:06 PM »

Dragonball Z/Sailor Moon. I remember waking up at 6am to watch them before school. Good times.

TASTY!
Aeolus
This is the Monado's Powerbomb!

Little did he know, the fall damage would KO him.

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: Today at 01:10:15 AM »

The Woozles. I still remember seeing those last couple of episodes and going 'Wait. This has a plot?'....would gladly trade that for Devil Hunter Yohko though (now THAT would've caused some serious issues for me in the long run).

Otherwise it would either have to be Speed Racer, that one show staring famed soccer football star Pele (assuming this was an anime and not some weird Brazil export), that 80s Wizard of Oz cartoon (again assuming this was an anime) or David the Gnome (assuming that collaborations between animation studios across the Pacific count).
Code:
I'll be honest, if it wasn't The Woozles, it would either have to be The Borrowers or that one series of fairy tales that came out in the 80s (not to be confused with that other anime series of fairy tales that came out in the 80s).

Admittedly, I kinda started figuring out what anime was early on thanks to waifuing Super Valis IV's Lena way back in the day.

In my vision, I see that one of us is going to KO the other.
Artimicia

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: Today at 03:57:15 AM »

Dragon Ball Z in the 90s along with a whole bunch of other people.
Dincrest
Analogy spouting
RPGFan Editor

I approve of this nonsense!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: Today at 06:14:09 AM »

Aeolus- are you referring to Grimm's Fairy Tale Classics that they used to show on Nickelodeon?  Those were great.  I loved the Puss in Boots one.  I didn't know that was anime until the Internet told me. 

Games I've given Editor's Choice to:
Ever 17, Hourglass of Summer, Anachronox, Persona PSP, Radiant Historia, To The Moon, Revolution 60
Ranadiel

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: Today at 07:12:54 AM »

I was coming in here to say Gundam Wing, but as I was typing my response I realized that those dates didn't work. As that got premiered in the U.S. two years after the Pokémon anime which I watched religiously for a while. So yeah, that would seem to be the first one I know I watched. I think I saw some snippets of Speed Racer before that, but I am uncertain I ever saw a full episode.
Hathen
You think this would be funny?

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: Today at 11:10:16 AM »

I was watching anime dubbed in Chinese as early as I can remember. Hard to remember which was the first, but it was probably either Doraemon or a Studio Ghibli film (Castle In The Sky or Totoro). I think the first one I watched dubbed in English was Voltron.
ZeronHitaro

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: Today at 12:35:32 PM »

The Flying House/Superbook.

No, seriously.
Tomara

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: Today at 02:34:57 PM »

Unaware: Heidi. Thanks to that, I share a lot of nostalgic feelings with Japanese viewers and I;m able to get like all the Heidi jokes.

Aware: Teknoman/Tekkaman Blade, I think.

Completely on purpose (Pokémon excluded): Neon Genesis Evangelion. All 26 episodes in a row with only short bathroom breaks in between. We were young and overconfident.
Dice
I'm fart and I'm smunny
AMG A GIRL

...AND STEVEN.

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: Today at 06:30:57 PM »

Samurai Pizza Cats, Sailor Moon, and I guess technically The Little Nemo (these were those "I was so young I didn't even know what anime was" titles).

Ranma 1/2, Oh My Goddess, Fushigi Yugi, and The Slayers started me off when I was in my pre-/early teens.
I got into a bunch others from there... now it's sort of tapered off unfortunately; rather less titles but a more honed in sense of what I like.

http://society6.com/Dice963
http://www.redbubble.com/people/dice9633
http://dice963.tumblr.com/

Support your local Dice (and pitch her ideas)!
RAINBOW PIXEL POWER!!!
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: