Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
September 19, 2014, 02:08:43 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz!
Subject: Persona 3: FES
Prize: $20 eShop, PSN or Steam code
Date: 3rd October 2014 Time: 16:00 EST
331682 Posts in 13580 Topics by 2191 Members
Latest Member: Zaltys
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Anime, TV, and Movies
| | |-+  Doctor Who
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] Print
Author Topic: Doctor Who  (Read 8533 times)
Lard

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #135 on: September 17, 2014, 11:36:48 AM »

I actually thought it was pretty bad. The teaser promised us something that never really happened. I was expecting a creepy monster of the week episode, but we got something entirely not that
The story was all over the place, and made no sense.
There were a few good lines, and a few good moments, but the rest was just...ugh.
And I really wish the doctor would stop insulting Clara on her appearance! It's like a creepy old man trying to re-assure himself that he's not turned on by the hot young lady, when it's the exact opposite. It's mostly just mean, though, and serves no point in the story.
MaryAnns review explains pretty much how I saw this episode better than I can:
http://www.flickfilosopher.com/2014/09/doctor-blogging-listen.html

I thought it was trying to have its cake and eat it too. It was trying to be a scary monster of the week episode but also be deliberately vague and you're right, it just ended up not making sense.

I agree with most of your friend's critique, but this - "• Let’s talk about the unintended creepiness of having an episode revolve around the Doctor bluffing his way into a home for vulnerable children in the middle of the night." is reading too much into it.

As for Capaldi, he is the best doctor since the show came back in 2005.
« Last Edit: September 17, 2014, 11:39:46 AM by Lard » Logged

I avoid online multiplayer because my brain still works.
Maxximum
Not quite over gaming

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #136 on: Today at 12:14:49 PM »

I only ever watched bits and pieces of both the new amd classic Doctor Who series (with the Matt Smith run being the significant part of the modern Doctor Who series that I've seen). I have to admit that I'm starting to get into it. Smith somehow managed to pull of a very likable and at times creepy character despite all signs indicating that he should be the Jar Jar Binks of Doctors. That's quite impressive. Capaldi somehow seems like the perfect fit and I'm looking forward to the new episodes. Clara is also fairly interesting and while I hope they do a little more with the "impossible girl" story arc there's always the danger they'll overcook it. All in all, Im a bit late to the party but catching up should be a blast.

NOW PLAYING:
Violette: Charming, clunky, frustrating, rewarding.
Edna & Harvey: The Breakout: Its...Odd...
One Finger Death Punch: F*ck Yeah! - The game
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: