Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 01, 2014, 10:23:30 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz!
Subject: Persona 3: FES
Prize: $20 eShop, PSN or Steam code
Date: 3rd October 2014 Time: 16:00 EST
332835 Posts in 13638 Topics by 2191 Members
Latest Member: Zaltys
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Anime, TV, and Movies
| | |-+  Doctor Who
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] Print
Author Topic: Doctor Who  (Read 8946 times)
Lard

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #135 on: September 17, 2014, 11:36:48 AM »

I actually thought it was pretty bad. The teaser promised us something that never really happened. I was expecting a creepy monster of the week episode, but we got something entirely not that
The story was all over the place, and made no sense.
There were a few good lines, and a few good moments, but the rest was just...ugh.
And I really wish the doctor would stop insulting Clara on her appearance! It's like a creepy old man trying to re-assure himself that he's not turned on by the hot young lady, when it's the exact opposite. It's mostly just mean, though, and serves no point in the story.
MaryAnns review explains pretty much how I saw this episode better than I can:
http://www.flickfilosopher.com/2014/09/doctor-blogging-listen.html

I thought it was trying to have its cake and eat it too. It was trying to be a scary monster of the week episode but also be deliberately vague and you're right, it just ended up not making sense.

I agree with most of your friend's critique, but this - "• Let’s talk about the unintended creepiness of having an episode revolve around the Doctor bluffing his way into a home for vulnerable children in the middle of the night." is reading too much into it.

As for Capaldi, he is the best doctor since the show came back in 2005.
« Last Edit: September 17, 2014, 11:39:46 AM by Lard » Logged

I avoid online multiplayer because my brain still works.
Maxximum
Not quite over gaming

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #136 on: September 19, 2014, 12:14:49 PM »

I only ever watched bits and pieces of both the new amd classic Doctor Who series (with the Matt Smith run being the significant part of the modern Doctor Who series that I've seen). I have to admit that I'm starting to get into it. Smith somehow managed to pull of a very likable and at times creepy character despite all signs indicating that he should be the Jar Jar Binks of Doctors. That's quite impressive. Capaldi somehow seems like the perfect fit and I'm looking forward to the new episodes. Clara is also fairly interesting and while I hope they do a little more with the "impossible girl" story arc there's always the danger they'll overcook it. All in all, Im a bit late to the party but catching up should be a blast.

NOW PLAYING:
Final Fantasy XIII: The time has come...
Edna & Harvey: The Breakout: Its...Odd...
One Finger Death Punch: F*ck Yeah! - The game
Dice
Super Happy Fun Super Girl
AMG A GIRL

Tawdry Hepburn

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #137 on: September 23, 2014, 01:41:43 AM »

Smith as the Jar Jar Binks of doctors....  I get it and I giggled, but that's still a pretty low comparison even if you think he dodged the bullet. x)

LOVED the latest episode.  I thought it was just a ton of fun and worked the 'Who-Formula' really well.  Capaldi is fast becoming a favourite doctor for me.

http://society6.com/Dice963
http://www.redbubble.com/people/dice9633

Support your local Dice (and pitch her ideas)!
Dice
AMG A GIRL

Tawdry Hepburn

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #138 on: September 29, 2014, 08:24:32 PM »

So someone just pointed this out to me...

Mind = blown

Another great episode and so far a pretty good season after a kind of rocky start.
Possibly the strangest way to tackle a love-triangle plot since Capaldi's character is so much different from Matt Smith's.  The villain was a write-off, but the interactions were perfect.

And also, Jenna Coleman has *massive*-sized eyes.

GrimReality
Dark Lord of Nostalgia

OK, options aren't SO bad

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #139 on: September 29, 2014, 09:44:36 PM »

Wow, you are sure forgiving of this season. I thought this past episode was pretty weak. I'm really getting tired of how the current Doctor is written. He's far too mean, and apparently clueless about humans, despite interacting with them for many many years. What's the deal with calling Pink a P.E. teacher over and over again? Why is this not explained? And why is he so anti-soldier?
I don't buy into the "He only wants the best for Clara" explanation. He might as well be walking around with a shotgun to scare away the creeps from his little girl.
I don't blame Capaldi, or even Jenna. They're doing the best they can with the shitty scripts they're being given.
I'd rather they expounded on what was going in in the intro to the episode, and gone from there. Now THAT could have been interesting.
Oh, I could keep going forever, but I'll just stop. I'm just so bummed at the direction the show has headed. A couple decent eps, and the rest mediocre, and less than.
This is the first season of Doctor Who my wife has ever watched. I suppose that might be to her advantage, as she has no basis for comparison.

Playing: TWD Season 2
Reading: Mistborn #2 by Brandon Sanderson
Starmongoose
Contributing Editor

Vicious Feminist

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #140 on: September 30, 2014, 01:14:49 AM »

I think the P.E teacher might be a British specific joke. Here ex-army personal who work in schools are 99% P.E teachers, hence his disbelief that he is a Maths teacher.

SAVE THE PENGUIN!

Here to suck the fun out of games.
Annubis

Something something like a tiger

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #141 on: September 30, 2014, 01:20:45 AM »

I think the P.E teacher might be a British specific joke. Here ex-army personal who work in schools are 99% P.E teachers, hence his disbelief that he is a Maths teacher.

Ah...
Here in America, P.E teachers are old pedophiles.

(Fun fact, my primary school P.E teacher was arrested and jailed due to touching young boys)
(Following fact, I guess I wasn't his type)
Dice
AMG A GIRL

Tawdry Hepburn

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #142 on: September 30, 2014, 02:11:45 AM »

Yeah the reaction from Gaf on that joke was pretty lost (many jumping to it being a racist thing [physical activity = a black thing] than a 'soldier thing'). 

IIRC the 'soldier-hating' was just 'cause the Doctor doesn't like them or guns, right?

Ah...

(Fun fact, my primary school P.E teacher was arrested and jailed due to touching young boys)

Or lesbians, according to Clueless.  And my high school PE teacher.
... Either way, the PE joke is *still* terribly lost on us non-British aliens.

GrimReality
Dark Lord of Nostalgia

OK, options aren't SO bad

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #143 on: September 30, 2014, 10:32:15 AM »

Yeah the reaction from Gaf on that joke was pretty lost (many jumping to it being a racist thing [physical activity = a black thing] than a 'soldier thing'). 

IIRC the 'soldier-hating' was just 'cause the Doctor doesn't like them or guns, right?

Ah...

Or lesbians, according to Clueless.  And my high school PE teacher.
... Either way, the PE joke is *still* terribly lost on us non-British aliens.

Ahhh, that explains it. I was thinking either soldier = dolt = p.e. teacher, or even the racist card as some others have, sadly, mentioned.
I'd still like a better explanation for the soldier business, because I don't recall that being such a big issue prior to this season.

Playing: TWD Season 2
Reading: Mistborn #2 by Brandon Sanderson
Starmongoose
Contributing Editor

Vicious Feminist

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #144 on: September 30, 2014, 10:36:20 AM »

I'm a bit baffled at the soldier stuff himself. Considering he was best friends with a guy from UNIT. :p

I'm sure it's leading up to his backstory of the Time War, either being a soldier or leading a battalion of soldiers.

SAVE THE PENGUIN!

Here to suck the fun out of games.
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: