Author Topic: Anime/Manga Journal  (Read 1135951 times)

Aeolus

• This is the Monado's Powerbomb!
  • Little did he know, the fall damage would KO him.
    • View Profile
Re: Anime/Manga Journal
« Reply #1230 on: November 22, 2011, 12:33:24 PM »
I thought that Chaos;Head started out OK.  It had some interesting ideas, at least.  But towards the second half of the show...man, WTF.  It was just plain dumb.

It didn't just start out ok; it started out with an interesting murder mystery setup (despite the harem-ish setup) where the main character is both the accused and a completely unreliable narrator (given that he's a delusional otaku living in a shipping container) and the person who he saw committing the crime happens to be both a classmate and childhood girlfriend who didn't exist until after the fact. Then once they get halfway though the show they try to explain it over the remainder of the show through a shitload of incomprehensible technobabble. The tl;dr of that explanation ended up as "A wizard did it who is also the main character who is an immortal wizard/marty stu who's the greatest at everything ever with a harem of crazy magical girls at his disposal which means that he no longer needs his anime wife and the villain's goal is to copy the main character's godmode reality rewriting superpowers through science instead of doing what the main character did which was to pretend he came up with Plato's Allegory of the Cave first".

Never have I seen such good setup wasted so badly. And I just don't trust Steins;gate to not do the same.
In my vision, I see that one of us is going to KO the other.

Ragnarok-Sabin

• Eternally Lurking
    • View Profile
« Reply #1231 on: November 22, 2011, 02:15:36 PM »
I thought that Chaos;Head started out OK.  It had some interesting ideas, at least.  But towards the second half of the show...man, WTF.  It was just plain dumb.

It didn't just start out ok; it started out with an interesting murder mystery setup (despite the harem-ish setup) where the main character is both the accused and a completely unreliable narrator (given that he's a delusional otaku living in a shipping container) and the person who he saw committing the crime happens to be both a classmate and childhood girlfriend who didn't exist until after the fact. Then once they get halfway though the show they try to explain it over the remainder of the show through a shitload of incomprehensible technobabble. The tl;dr of that explanation ended up as "A wizard did it who is also the main character who is an immortal wizard/marty stu who's the greatest at everything ever with a harem of crazy magical girls at his disposal which means that he no longer needs his anime wife and the villain's goal is to copy the main character's godmode reality rewriting superpowers through science instead of doing what the main character did which was to pretend he came up with Plato's Allegory of the Cave first".

Never have I seen such good setup wasted so badly. And I just don't trust Steins;gate to not do the same.

Watch it. It does a very good job of not wasting its setup. Not to say it's perfect, but the things that might bother you about the plot were all in the source material, are lampshaded by the characters themselves, and are generally small enough to overlook.
« Last Edit: November 22, 2011, 02:17:31 PM by Ragnarok-Sabin »

Tomara

• View Profile
« Reply #1232 on: November 26, 2011, 06:31:45 AM »
So... I'm supposed to write two pages on Tiger & Bunny. The show was on my to watch list (I usually wait for the DVDs to come out because my laptop is old and can't be hooked up to the TV and I don't like watching anime on a small screen), so, great! I decided to be responsible and start watcing way ahead of the deadline. That was three days ago, I've now seen the whole series and I will probably name my next rabbit Barnaby.

GrimReality

• Dark Lord of Nostalgia
  • OK, options aren't SO bad
    • View Profile
« Reply #1233 on: November 26, 2011, 01:05:37 PM »
Sorry, wrong thread!
« Last Edit: November 26, 2011, 07:28:52 PM by GrimReality »
Playing: DA: Inquisition
Reading: The Backyard Parables

Ragnarok-Sabin

• Eternally Lurking
    • View Profile
« Reply #1234 on: November 27, 2011, 03:14:25 PM »
Watched Puella Magi Madoka Magica this weekend. I enjoyed it, to be sure, but I feel like I was over-hyped on it. I think I would have enjoyed it more if I hadn't been told it was the best thing since sliced bread. I guess if I were a bigger fan of the Magical Girl genre the deconstruction of said genre would be more poignant, but to be honest aside from being a fan of Sailor Moon when I was like 6, I've not really watched much else. Still, the juxtaposition of art style and tone was striking, and very enjoyable, and the show itself was beautiful to watch. Definitely worth the time I spent watching it, but as I said... I wish people hadn't hyped it up to me quite so much; I went in with some unrealistic expectations.

Dice

• I'm fart and I'm smunny
  • AMG A GIRL
  • RPGFan and Dice forever...
    • View Profile
    • My DeviantArt site!  Come, stay, laugh, cry.
« Reply #1235 on: November 27, 2011, 11:53:07 PM »
Watched Puella Magi Madoka Magica this weekend. I enjoyed it, to be sure, but I feel like I was over-hyped on it. I think I would have enjoyed it more if I hadn't been told it was the best thing since sliced bread. I guess if I were a bigger fan of the Magical Girl genre the deconstruction of said genre would be more poignant, but to be honest aside from being a fan of Sailor Moon when I was like 6, I've not really watched much else. Still, the juxtaposition of art style and tone was striking, and very enjoyable, and the show itself was beautiful to watch. Definitely worth the time I spent watching it, but as I said... I wish people hadn't hyped it up to me quite so much; I went in with some unrealistic expectations.

I was happy, that with everything you watch in that show, and given the writer's previous work (see: Saya no Uta), the show didn't end of a down note.

I thought, especially the opening, the show made fun of the genre and challenged the sunshine, flowers and rainbows approach they usually have.
http://society6.com/Dice963
http://www.redbubble.com/people/dice9633
http://dice963.tumblr.com/

Support your local Dice (and pitch her ideas)!
RAINBOW PIXEL POWER!!!

Ragnarok-Sabin

• Eternally Lurking
    • View Profile
« Reply #1236 on: November 29, 2011, 10:45:04 AM »

I was happy, that with everything you watch in that show, and given the writer's previous work (see: Saya no Uta), the show didn't end of a down note.

I thought, especially the opening, the show made fun of the genre and challenged the sunshine, flowers and rainbows approach they usually have.

I agree entirely, and I think that's why I didn't enjoy it as much as some others might--I'm not as familiar with the tropes of the genre. As a standalone, it is of course still an excellent work, but the added satire I imagine adds quite a bit. I know for sure that the odd times I noticed allusions to Sailor Moon (which, like I said, I was quite a fan of in kindergarten) my enjoyment of the show increased. And yes, after the long string of hard-hitting Wham Episodes, I'd expected one hell of a downer ending, especially given the fact that the deconstruction felt similar in tone to Evangelion.

Code: [Select]
With that in mind, bittersweet was much better than I'd hoped for.

Ragnarok-Sabin

• Eternally Lurking
    • View Profile
« Reply #1237 on: December 13, 2011, 06:29:00 PM »
Sorry for the double post, but I felt as though enough time had passed between them. Feel free to merge them if you disagree (assuming you can do that easily, mods).

Still keeping up on Guilty Crown, though I've fallen behind on some of the other simulcast shows I've been following. Haven't had much time to watch anything new, either, with finals. Temporarily dropped Gundam AGE, as I wasn't very engaged. I'll go back and watch it when it's done or at least has more to it, rather than watching it week to week.

As for Guilty Crown, it's still quite good. The production values are nothing short of incredible--second only to HanaIro in recent memory--and I've got something to say about that below. It's slowly creeping from kinda slow moving to very slow moving though. With only 22 episodes to do it's thing, it needs to transition away from episodic set-up to an overarching plot very soon, or I feel like things are going to get pretty rushed.

Also, Haganai. It's silly, and pointless, and fanservice-y, but it works in the same way Haruhi did. Enjoying the shit out of it.

As for next season, I am getting more and more excited for Another. P.A. Works + awesome sounding horror anime? Sure, why not!?

Finally, and I say this with a huge HELL YES; Hanasaku Iroha Season 2 confirmed!

Annubis

• ee yan~☆
    • View Profile
« Reply #1238 on: December 13, 2011, 07:17:14 PM »
My persona HELL YEAH! is next season's Zero no Tsukaima.
Admittedly, the show is not incredible. Truthfully, season one was interesting, parts of season 2 were great (the rest was pretty filler-ish) and season 3 was the weakest of the trilogy.
Still, having watched 3 seasons of a show in which I really love the main character and all those unexplained mysteries relating to him and his powers has always left me wanting more.

So I'll rejoice for 2 reasons:
#1 Since this is the final season (manga and anime both ending), we will probably have the answers to those mysteries and a conclusion.
#2 We actually get the final season (and volumes) because the author survived his cancer (a lot of fans wrote and supported him. Really nice)

Kevadu

• Some guy
    • View Profile
« Reply #1239 on: December 13, 2011, 08:07:27 PM »
About Zero no Tsukaima...don't the first three seasons only cover like the first 10 volumes of the novels? (It was orignally a light novel series, not a manga)  There are supposed to be 22 volumes when it finishes...so they're going to cram 12 volumes of material into a single season?

Mind you there is probably a lot that can be cut but I still don't see that ending well...

Annubis

• ee yan~☆
    • View Profile
« Reply #1240 on: December 13, 2011, 08:38:36 PM »
so they're going to cram 12 volumes of material into a single season?

Dice

• I'm fart and I'm smunny
  • AMG A GIRL
  • RPGFan and Dice forever...
    • View Profile
    • My DeviantArt site!  Come, stay, laugh, cry.
« Reply #1241 on: December 15, 2011, 12:00:10 PM »
Awesome picture...

Watched the Legend of Heroes anime OVA, based off our Trails in the Sky (Sora no Kiseki).  The art style is poopy, but man, everything else is pretty brilliantly done.  An early fight scene will be more than enough to convince you.  I loved it. x)

One thing I hated is the obligatory hot spring scene with the women being bizarrely nipple-less... I mean, you already went far enough to draw them full-frontal, why stop now? : /
« Last Edit: December 15, 2011, 01:44:11 PM by Dice »
http://society6.com/Dice963
http://www.redbubble.com/people/dice9633
http://dice963.tumblr.com/

Support your local Dice (and pitch her ideas)!
RAINBOW PIXEL POWER!!!

Ragnarok-Sabin

• Eternally Lurking
    • View Profile
« Reply #1242 on: December 15, 2011, 04:46:59 PM »
Well, it looks like I'll be getting my wish. There's no way they can't transition into the main plot of Guilty Crown after that.

Seultoria

• 시발놈
    • View Profile
« Reply #1243 on: December 17, 2011, 10:00:35 AM »
Been reading the Gantz manga lately and I'm almost caught up. I also resumed watching Mobile Suit Gundam.

Aeolus

• This is the Monado's Powerbomb!
  • Little did he know, the fall damage would KO him.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1244 on: December 19, 2011, 04:22:07 AM »
So I finally got around to watching most of Ichiban Ushiro no Daimaoh (namely to find out who this Hattori Junko was since I was familiar with most of the rest of Queen's Gate: Spiral Chaos' cast but not her). Apparently she's basically your typical lawful and justice crazed to a fault type ninja who made a pact with a fellow classmate attending a magic school who wanted to become a pope to stay true to that ambition upon pain of death before he visits the sorting hat expy who files him under Demon Lord and spends the rest of the series either trying to kill him or get into his pants as this is a harem anime. More apparently though is that this is a harem series that surprisingly doesn't suck and can actually be funny at times. The show is hammy enough that the fight with the first major villain causes the show to suddenly switch art styles to a more shonen level while the main character and the villain are exchanging corny monologues while flexing their newly developed muscles and launching showboaty attacks at each other. That said the show is fairly ecchi and gets a bit overblown at times but the thing it really does right by is making the male lead of this harem anime mostly sensible, filled with bravado, quick on the uptake, can be outright vicious if need be, fairly intelligent, and generally competent thus making him the absolute opposite of your typical harem anime sausage between legs protagonist (aside from their gender and inexplicable ability to draw walking female harem anime stereotypes like a fucking magnet). Additionally the series is mercifully short so a lot of potential annoyances that overdrawn anime usually invokes although I will admit that I wasn't able to watch the last two episodes due to Youtube being Youtube thus I don't really know how it ends.

Aside from that nonsense I also finally got around to watching the two Ideon movies. A Contact was essentially what I expected from a condensed retelling of the majority of the series with the occasional retcon and refurbished scene. B Invoked on the other hand still managed to surprise and entertain me despite knowing exactly what it was that I was walking into (down to the laser decapitation that occurs near the end) mostly due to two reasons. First was the fact that it really does earn it's reputation for being one of anime's biggest bloodbaths at the start when they retcon Kitty's death from accidentally getting shot by a faceless mook in a field of flowers in a sort of overwrought sort of way to getting explosion decapitated within the first five minutes of the movie (and then it's all down hill from there til near the end). And the second was the entire ending sequence after Tomino killed 'em all where everybody's dead and loving it and wondering why they were such colossal assholes and bitches to begin with. I was expecting more of a Ideon Gun gets too hot and lights up the night sky in a universe ending explosion finish with a moment of silence and a message to stop being colossal assholes instead of the Ideon suiciding itself on the Buff Clan's supernova cannon which blows itself apart in the process of lighting up the night sky and then ends with the entire cast getting along famously with each other in the lifestream before getting dumped onto Earth II to be reincarnated as the eighth civilization.
In my vision, I see that one of us is going to KO the other.