Author Topic: Anime/Manga Journal

Annubis

• ee yan~☆
    • View Profile
Re: Anime/Manga Journal
« Reply #1245 on: December 20, 2011, 11:31:22 PM »
I finally watched Macross Frontier: Sayonara no Tsubasa and I'm pretty mixed about it.
The movie itself is good and I would recommend it to anyone who watched Macross Frontier and didn't hate it, but I just can't understand why they modified the plot so much. The other movies before that one were only slightly different but this one is completely different. I wouldn't mind this so much if the new plot was as good as the one in the serie... but sadly it isn't.
The majority of the movie is fine, but it sinks when it reaches the ending. In the serie, the last 2 episode were an amazing mix of music, emotion and action. This new version, at the final battle instead treats us to music (always interrupted by speeches), very few emotion (if you watched the original, lets just say that nobody died at all, only 2 MIA that probably died, but nobody seems to give a damn about it) and a lot less action. They decided to cut most of what made the original ending incredible to instead make time for people 'understanding the Vajra and feeling their pain'.
Somehow, it feels like a cop out to rewrite it as the super happy ending.

Also, why would you have a Macross surf atmospheric re-entry... that felt like something tacked on just to look 20% cooler.

Aeolus

• This is the Monado's Powerbomb!
  • Little did he know, the fall damage would KO him.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1246 on: December 21, 2011, 10:08:53 AM »
I finally watched Macross Frontier: Sayonara no Tsubasa and I'm pretty mixed about it.
The movie itself is good and I would recommend it to anyone who watched Macross Frontier and didn't hate it, but I just can't understand why they modified the plot so much. The other movies before that one were only slightly different but this one is completely different. I wouldn't mind this so much if the new plot was as good as the one in the serie... but sadly it isn't.
The majority of the movie is fine, but it sinks when it reaches the ending. In the serie, the last 2 episode were an amazing mix of music, emotion and action. This new version, at the final battle instead treats us to music (always interrupted by speeches), very few emotion (if you watched the original, lets just say that nobody died at all, only 2 MIA that probably died, but nobody seems to give a damn about it) and a lot less action. They decided to cut most of what made the original ending incredible to instead make time for people 'understanding the Vajra and feeling their pain'.
Somehow, it feels like a cop out to rewrite it as the super happy ending.

Also, why would you have a Macross surf atmospheric re-entry... that felt like something tacked on just to look 20% cooler.

I hate to say this but Macross F had a pretty lame ending to begin with since it turned out that the Vajra were a bunch of space ants ala Starship Troopers that were also the Borg (which is going to get even more retarded when the next series either ignores this feature or the Vajra entirely) and the real antagonist was the manager chick who still wasn't all that big of a deal given that her big plan was to make herself into the space ants' queen. Now whether the movies manage to outstupid this is the real question.
In my vision, I see that one of us is going to KO the other.

Annubis

• ee yan~☆
    • View Profile
« Reply #1247 on: December 21, 2011, 10:12:47 AM »
the real antagonist was the manager chick who still wasn't all that big of a deal given that her big plan was to make herself into the space ants' queen. Now whether the movies manage to outstupid this is the real question.

Well, the manager chick isn't even the villain anymore... heck the villain doesn't even have a name, nor body. It's just a bunch of wires that speak evilly.
So yeah.

Ragnarok-Sabin

• Eternally Lurking
    • View Profile
« Reply #1248 on: December 23, 2011, 03:56:41 PM »
Having recently watched Eureka Seven, this is relevant to my interests:

Eureka Seven: Astral Ocean announced for April 2012 Season

Aeolus

• This is the Monado's Powerbomb!
  • Little did he know, the fall damage would KO him.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1249 on: December 24, 2011, 04:38:04 PM »
Having recently watched Eureka Seven, this is relevant to my interests:

Eureka Seven: Astral Ocean announced for April 2012 Season

To paraphrase a poster on a better site "PleasedontfuckthisupPleasedontfuckthisupPleasedontfuckthisup...."
In my vision, I see that one of us is going to KO the other.

Hathen

• View Profile
« Reply #1250 on: December 24, 2011, 05:48:29 PM »
I remember liking E7 when I was watching it, but now mostly what I remember about it was that it had some amazing animation. I can't say I remember very much about the plot at all, aside from some general bullet points.

As I remember though, the way they ended it really didn't warrant having a sequel. But, popular stuff gonna sequel I guess.

Ragnarok-Sabin

• Eternally Lurking
    • View Profile
« Reply #1251 on: December 25, 2011, 11:23:34 AM »
I remember liking E7 when I was watching it, but now mostly what I remember about it was that it had some amazing animation. I can't say I remember very much about the plot at all, aside from some general bullet points.

As I remember though, the way they ended it really didn't warrant having a sequel. But, popular stuff gonna sequel I guess.

It was wrapped up pretty well for the most part, yes; which is, I imagine, why the promotional posters point toward a generational sequel. The kid looks too much like Eureka to be anything but her and Renton's son. The driving points of the original series were wrapped up, but the underlying causes/tensions less so. I can definitely see them managing to spin things the right way.

To paraphrase a poster on a better site "PleasedontfuckthisupPleasedontfuckthisupPleasedontfuckthisup...."

If they do fuck it up, I will cry and then do my best to forget it ever existed. If they don't, we get a spectacular show. Much more to gain than to lose, I feel.

Still, "PleasedontfuckthisupPleasedontfuckthisup...."

Chronix112

• Yasunori Mitsuda / Genso Suikoden fanboi
  • Unlimited Insomniac Works
    • View Profile
« Reply #1252 on: December 28, 2011, 02:48:20 PM »
Nononono. You would never guess a reverse trap manga about skiing would be any good. Nononono turns out to be the best manga series I have read in years.
« Last Edit: December 28, 2011, 02:57:50 PM by Chronix112 »

Lazlowe1984

• Restricted Members
  • Centurion
    • View Profile
« Reply #1253 on: December 29, 2011, 03:48:48 PM »
Watching Nabari No Ou and its fine so far.I'm attracted to the main character <3

Ragnarok-Sabin

• Eternally Lurking
    • View Profile
« Reply #1254 on: January 03, 2012, 08:05:38 AM »
Just marathoned [C]: The Money of Soul and Possibility, or [C] - CONTROL. I was drawn to it by a screen cap I'd seen on a Crunchyroll news post, and thought the character designs/animation were both unique and gorgeous. I was not disappointed.

The show itself--the story in particular--is quite unlike anything else I've seen before. Sure, it uses some anime staples, but it uses them well. Moreover, the economics allegory that is the foundation for the show, while confusing at times, worked fairly well (to someone not trained in economics, at least). I enjoyed the shit out of it; kind of wish it was longer, or the epilogue had gone on longer at least.

Wouldn't necessarily put it on a list of my favourites, but I will be rec'ing it to some people, including anyone reading this. Very good watching.

Lazlowe1984

• Restricted Members
  • Centurion
    • View Profile
« Reply #1255 on: January 03, 2012, 04:26:18 PM »
Just marathoned [C]: The Money of Soul and Possibility, or [C] - CONTROL. I was drawn to it by a screen cap I'd seen on a Crunchyroll news post, and thought the character designs/animation were both unique and gorgeous. I was not disappointed.

The show itself--the story in particular--is quite unlike anything else I've seen before. Sure, it uses some anime staples, but it uses them well. Moreover, the economics allegory that is the foundation for the show, while confusing at times, worked fairly well (to someone not trained in economics, at least). I enjoyed the shit out of it; kind of wish it was longer, or the epilogue had gone on longer at least.

Wouldn't necessarily put it on a list of my favourites, but I will be rec'ing it to some people, including anyone reading this. Very good watching.

I like shows that have an economic underlay as its catch.Is it similar to Spice & Wolf with its focus on trade,bartering and currency?

Ragnarok-Sabin

• Eternally Lurking
    • View Profile
« Reply #1256 on: January 03, 2012, 05:28:54 PM »

I like shows that have an economic underlay as its catch.Is it similar to Spice & Wolf with its focus on trade,bartering and currency?

Not even close, sorry. Heh. More like corporate trading re-imagined into Pokemon-like battling.

Lazlowe1984

• Restricted Members
  • Centurion
    • View Profile
« Reply #1257 on: January 03, 2012, 06:57:05 PM »

Not even close, sorry. Heh. More like corporate trading re-imagined into Pokemon-like battling.

I will check it out then

Annubis

• ee yan~☆
    • View Profile
« Reply #1258 on: January 03, 2012, 10:48:05 PM »
Finally watched the last episode of Kemono no Souja Erin. A serie about a young girl who wishes to take care of dangerous beasts following in her mother's steps.
A very powerful serie with some strong moments.
The main problem though is that it's 50 episodes long and very slow. It could easily have been condensed in half of that.

Ashton

• Lawful Asshole
    • View Profile
    • Leyviur.net
« Reply #1259 on: January 05, 2012, 01:51:09 PM »
I've been watching Kaizou Sentai Gokaiger. It is, for all intents and purposes, live action anime. Fun stuff.